Premier League: Attempt to retain the title

FA Cup: Wouldn't mind getting to the final

League Cup: As always, win it

Champions League: Reaching quarters would be nice

UEFA Super Cup: Win it

Community Shield: It's against City, we have to win it

Budgets

Transfer: £55,777,294

Wages: £2,170,192 (Currently spending £1,372,568)

Balance: £22,510,026 (Down £26,812,196 from last year)

A good budget for the forthcoming season, even though the bank balance has taken a bit. As I have explained before though, that was expected due to us not being in last seasons Champions League. Tranfer activiy may not be too high, but who knows because the squad does need some younger blood.

I dunno lol

Haha when I get my time machine sorted I'll get it done! ;)

Give us a description :D

If my memory serves me well, then I would say most attributes have gone up 1 or 2 numbers. Never realised that loaning out a player could do so much for them - usually because it ends up with them sitting on their arse doing nothing!

True that :) usually when I already got a star squad i buy 2-3 talents and save the rest of the money. Oh yeah I like to buy talents from all over the world makes it more fun in.

Well I already have a very good squad, so buying two to three stars would just upset the apple cart.

I think it's just a case of keeping things fresh and evolving the squad in terms of age and also for how you want to play. Having said all that, I have spent over £40million this summer, though also brought in nearly £30million.

As for where the players are from, I always think it's important to have a core from the country you play in.

Well now I got to ask a question :) Hope you dont mind.

Do you get rid of old players or do you let them stay and play if they want to? :) Just wanting to know how people think. Seeing how on my AC Milan saves I always keep the oldies seeing how they still got the quality to start sometimes and also be subbs.

Well now I got to ask a question :) Hope you dont mind.

Do you get rid of old players or do you let them stay and play if they want to? :) Just wanting to know how people think. Seeing how on my AC Milan saves I always keep the oldies seeing how they still got the quality to start sometimes and also be subbs.

If I think they can be of use or don't have an adequate replacement either at the club or to sign, then I'm happy to keep them.

Just take a look back at some of the stuff from my last season; Javier Hernandez scored 26 goals in 43 appearances at the age of thirty four. Gareth Bale, at the age of thirty three, won the PFA Player Of The Year award.

If I think they can be of use or don't have an adequate replacement either at the club or to sign, then I'm happy to keep them.

Just take a look back at some of the stuff from my last season; Javier Hernandez scored 26 goals in 43 appearances at the age of thirty four. Gareth Bale, at the age of thirty three, won the PFA Player Of The Year award.

Thanks for the answer mate. Im actually reading up once again on your career im on page 5 right now haha.

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - Preseason - 2023/24 - Manchester United

Transfers

transferssummer2023.png

There was again a fair bit of transfer activity, but many of those brought in were young players for the future. Of those who left, most of them were of advancing year, (30 year plus), or players such as Keeron Smith who I didn't think would ever be quite good enough to make the step up into the first team.

As you have probably noticed, a few players who have left the club only joined the previous summer. Joe Allen, Conor Coady, Danilo, and Federico Macheda were all brought in to do a job in the short, and they did it. All of them are 30 plus, and didn't deserve to be sat around doing nothing at this stage of their careers.

The one man I was very reluctant to let go was Rafael. He turned 33 over the ummer and was on £65,000 p/w, so with just a year left on his deal I took the decision to let him go. At Stoke he has now on £20,000 p/w more, and will play week-in, week-out.

Here are the men who joined us this summer;

German Tikhonov

An excellent young player who came for a very reasonable price and on relatively low wages. He will be my first choice DLP for a long time I hope.

Keith Ellis

An excellent looking young striker - his deal could eventually add up to £14million. He lacks pace, but offers us a completely different option to our other strikers. He has been given the number 9 shirt.

Thomas van den Berg

With Alex Smithies gone, a new third choice keeper was needed. He is young and has time to develop into more than just a third choice.

Leonel Colace

Could be an absolute bargain for us. His 4* potential could see him turn into a brilliant player. I'm very much looking forward to watching him develop.

Shannon Cronin

A good young goalkeeper wa needed at the club because we didn't have any! His 3* potential could see him turn into a very good goalkeeper.

Alexey Romanenkov

At just £2.3million, he could be another snip. His 3 and a half * potential could see him develop into a very good player for us. Unfortunately a loan move couldn't be sorted for him just yet.

Kamel Hammani

Very good footballer, who at just 22 has years ahead of him. His best role may not be as a right back, but that is the role he has been bought to play in. Maybe spent a bit over the odds on his fee, but his wages are at a good level.

Victor Santos

Has 3* potential so has the ability to be better than current left back Simon Walsh. Right no it's about him developing.

Jose Ramon Martinez

Looks superb for a 16 year old! His 4* potential, so could turn into an outstanding footballer. He'll certainly get some game time this term.

firstteamsquadaug2023.png

The squad has a much younger look than it did a year ago, with a few of the players over thirty moving on. Now the squad has great youth and experience, with the older players still being a vital part of the set up, and the younger players coming through to add some much needed vitality to the team.

Preseason 2023/24 Continued

Preseason Friendlies

preseasonfriendlies2023.png

A couple of good workouts against feeder clubs Burnley and Plymouth, followed by a morale boosting mini tour of South Korea saw us get into good shape for our final game before the season kicked off in the Community Shield against Manchester City.

Community Shield

communityshieldvscityau.png

An outstanding performance. It may not be an important trophy to win, and is in my opinion a glorified preseason friendly, but to beat beat our bigget rivals is always nice. A very good 2-0 win.

Looks like Stoke benefited from you.

Well they were taken over by a tycoon last seaosn when in the Championship, and started spending to get decent, experienced players in once they got promoted. Through the summer they spent a total £24.5million, and have got some guys on fairly big wages.

Thomas Lewis' Career - August 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesaug2023.png

pltableaug2023.png

A good start to the season, with a solid 2-0 win at home to newly promoted QPR and then a rousing 4-1 win away at Newcastle, in which youngsters Amido Nhasse and Aaron Parkinson got their first goals for the club.

Our next league game doesn't come until after the international break because of the Super Cup game.

UEFA Super Cup

scfixturesaug2023.png

An excellent performance against the reigning Champions League winners, and a side who have won four Serie A titles in a row. For the most part of the game we were well on top, and the 2-0 scoreline didn't flatter us one bit.

Good to see Swansea still up there :)

They've done well since I left back in 2017, with their lowest finish being 8th, and that was in the season after I left with Rafa Benitez did hi best to stuff things up! Since then their lowest finish has been 6th, and last term they finished 4th and again secured a Champions League spot.

The only disappointing thing is that they haven't actually won a trophy since I left. :(

Champions League Group Stage Draw

We were amongst the top seeds for this seasons competition despite a year out of it last season. Unfortunately that doesn't always mean an easy draw.........

202324clgroupstagedraw.png

The only positive I can really see is that we avoided Schalke and PSV from pot four!

Yeah not the easiest of groups to be fair.

I supose realistically I could have had Milan or Inter from pot two intead of Valencia, so it could have been a bit harder.

I have finally caught up :D

Haha! How long has it taken you?! :D

Is Rafa still Swansea manager now?

Oh good grief no - he was sacked after less than a year in charge for finishing eighth.

Since then Roberto Mancini has had a season incharge, finishing second behind my Manchester City team before leaving for money bags Atletico Madrid. Carlo Ancelotti had a season and a bit before leaving to return to AC Milan. And since then Quique Flores has been the man at the helm, which is just short of three years.

Haha! How long has it taken you?! :D

Around 2.5 hours in total... worth it!

When I get my new laptop tomorrow (yes, another new one) I am totally starting one of these saves. Never done one before, never really ever changed clubs, always a one club guy.

I have caught up. Again. :D

It looks tough but I think you can advance if your team plays up to potential. You aren't in Group H at least!

You need to keep a check more regularly, boy! ;)

Oh I definitely think we should advance - I mean I expect six points off Sparta Prague for starters.

Around 2.5 hours in total... worth it!

When I get my new laptop tomorrow (yes, another new one) I am totally starting one of these saves. Never done one before, never really ever changed clubs, always a one club guy.

Wow, you must have time to waste. Don't even think I've read through the whole thing! :D

As I said in my OP, (I think), I hadn't done a save like this before, but easily, (since a Lyon one back on FM07), my most enjoyable. Would recommend this kind of save to anyone. :thup:

Thomas Lewis' Career - September 2023 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturessep2023.png

pltablesep2023.png

A lacklustre draw at West Brom was followed by a superb performance against Chelsea, with golden oldie Gylfi Sigurdsson turning on the style. We finihed the month in the league with a solid win away at Crystal Palace, with Gomes bagging a brace.

Next up is a tricky looking game at Everton.

League Cup - 3rd Round

lcfixturessep2023.png

A remarkable game. Knowing this would be a tough match, I sent out a strong side, but after 23mins we were 2-0 behind. Thankfully we got one back straight away and it stayed like that untiul halftime. After 10mins of the second half and no change to the scoreline, on cam Javier Hernandez as I switched to 4-4-2. He was immense, and in the end we ran out 4-2 winners.

In the 4th round we have an easier game - Championhip side Aston Villa at home.

September 2023 Continued

Champions League

clfixturessep2023.png

cltablesep2023.png

An excellent start to the goup stages, though it will only get tougher from here. Gomes was in great form, and Keith Ellis capped off a good full debut for the club with a goal.

Our next group game is away to Lyon.

Wow, you must have time to waste. Don't even think I've read through the whole thing! :D

As I said in my OP, (I think), I hadn't done a save like this before, but easily, (since a Lyon one back on FM07), my most enjoyable. Would recommend this kind of save to anyone. :thup:

Not all in one go :D

Just little bits here and there over the last week. I dislike your lack of commitment to the Koreans though, I find that racist and you will be reported :brock:

Just little bits here and there over the last week. I dislike your lack of commitment to the Koreans though, I find that racist and you will be reported :brock:

I like to think that I set them on the road to the brilliance they have achieved since. :D

I like to leave it a fortnight or so before I catch up on your thread, makes it more enjoyable reading! Must say good on you for making the move across the city. I assume you have 24 our security accompanying you in and around Manchester incase of rogue City fans? Don't think your wife and kids could have stood another move to be fair though, so probably your only option to stay local.

Good turn around with Man Utd, they seem to have been wandering into the abyss before the 'Saviour' of football came along to breathe some new life into them. By the looks of the squad when you took over most of them would have been turning up for training on the Ring and Ride service! Or have the advances in sporting physiotherapy made it possible to play upto national retirement age in the year 2023?

Good luck with the season, shall catch up again soon...

mcotton

Thanks for your comment, it's always nice to have a new user commenting on my little thread.

The move wasn't a tough decision really - United are the team I support and I had achieved all I could at City. Thankfully the City fans don't seem to mind much - I am after all still on their "Icons" list!

The older players here at United are still in good nick. Hernandez (35), Sigurdsson (34), Bale (34), and Smalling (33), are still very important parts of the team, and will probaby remain so next season unless they get any bad injuries. :thup:

Cheers for the post again. :)

I have finally caught up :D

Well get reading mine now that you have time on your hands.

I remember you mentioning Mancini was there now. Atletico Madrid always seem to end up rich.
Pain in the bum they are! :mad:

Yeah they were rich on mine as well, hence why I splashed the cash when I was there :brock:.

Well get reading mine now that you have time on your hands.

Let's not get carried away now...

Tom, do you not get slightly annoyed when you get new training facilities or buy new youth players and then move on?

Not sure I could buy youth in a club I know I would be leaving in a season or two.

Yeah they were rich on mine as well, hence why I splashed the cash when I was there :brock:.

After what i spent at City, i can't criticise anyone for spending when the funds are there.

Tom, do you not get slightly annoyed when you get new training facilities or buy new youth players and then move on?

Not sure I could buy youth in a club I know I would be leaving in a season or two.

The only one i have been really been pissed off with was a young man called Gregg Morton i spent over £20million on while at City. He was just 17 and played a few times in my final season with them. Since then thought he has a loan spell at Zürich and now another at Copenhagen, and he's just stalling.

At the end of the day i don't know when i'm going to leave a club though. For instance, had i not won the Champions League with City then i wouldn't have left them, not even for United.

With United, i honestly don't know when i'm going to leave. I have a contract until 2027 and will at a minimum see that out, so i have a bit more time to develop youngsters.

Archived