Tomtuck's First FM Career Adventure

tomtuck01

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

220px-Manchester_United_FC_crest.svg.png

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Review 2023/24 - Manchester United

The details of the Community Shield and UEFA Super Cup are on the previous page in posts 1520 &1525

Premier League

Results 1 - Results 2 - Final Table (Champions)

In the end we won it by five points, but thoe of you who have followed throughout this season know it was even close than the final gap suggets. As always we set off like a train, winning ten of our opening twelve fixtures. We weren't clear though, as Liverpool and Tottenham were keeping pace with us. We kept things going though and by the turn of the year we were four points clear. Sloppy form through January saw Tottenham head into February a point ahead of us, though we bounced back and by the end of March we were level with Tottenham on points but crucially sat top on goal difference. We finished strongly in April and May, winning six out of our last seven games whereas Tottenham fell away, and eventually we won it by five points.

Next season we will be going for a third title in a row.

FA Cup

Winners

Delighted to capture the FA Cup after falling at the semi final stage last season. We faced three Championship sides in our route to the final, though one of them was a good win over rivals Leeds United. In the semi we battered Newport County, to set up a final against Sheffield Wednesday. We weren't great in the final, and for a long time struggled to break down the ten men of Wednesday. Eventually we got the breakthrough, and in the end ran out 3-0 winners.

This was the clubs first FA Cup final since 2007, and first win since 2004. Thrilled to bring this famous trophy back to Old Trafford.

League Cup

Winners

Well we have won the League Cup for the second season in a row, and it is now my ninth victory in this competition. We performed excellently in some of the early rounds, coming from 2-0 down to win at Tottenham, aswell as thumping Wolves 5-1 away from home. In the semi finals we knocked out rivals Manchester City. We faced Championhip opposition in the shape of Hull City in the final, and thumped them 5-1.

I want a third in a row for us next term, and a tenth for me!

Champions League

Beaten Finalists

I am disappointed to lose in the final, but can't be with how we did throughout the competition. To come into the tournament as Europa League winners and get to within touching distance of winning, was quite special.

We had an excellent group phase, the most pleasing aspect being the draws in France and Spain again Lyon and Valencia. After that we knocked out last seasons beaten finalists, Bayern Munich, in the 1st knockout round, before meeting group opponents Lyon in the quarters, who we scrapped past 2-1 on aggregate. In the semi finals we faced last seasons winners Juventus, and in the first leg we hammed them 4-0. The second leg was tougher, but in the end we won the tie 6-2 on aggregate.

The final saw us meet Swansea City, who were appearing in their third final in eight years, their second in three. It was an odd game; we had more of the ball, but they had more of the chances. In the end it was our lack of penertration infront of their goals/mitakes in our own defensive third that lead to them winning 2-1. I extend my congratulations to my old club.

It has made me more determined to win it next season.

Other Info

Squad Stats - Tranfers - Finances

Please Note; The financial records do not include the £21million paid for the stadium expansion - the screenshot was taken before that news item.

Excellent stuff from alot of players this seaosn. Gomes obviously stands out, as does experienced man Javier Hernandez. Christian Radu had a superb first season in the first team - him and Marc Attenborrow pushed out Saturnin Ahouandjinou during the second half of the campaign. Amido Nhasse also had a very good seaosn back from his loan spell in the Championship last term. Eder Morales , who only joined in the January window, had a great impact. It was just a pity he couldn't play in Europe.

We spent alot of money over the last year, but alot of it on players for the future. Keith Ellis was good in his few appearances, and will hopefully get more chances next term. Best signing by a mile though has to be Morales - at just £1.4million he is one of my best value for money signings in my career. In terms of players sales, we managed to get half back of what we played out, aswell as shifting some fairly high wages off the wage bill.

The financial records look decent enough in the screenshot, but aren't looking so great now since the investment in stadium expansion. Thankfully alot of my summer transfer business has already been done, so my plans won't be effected too much.

Top 3 Players

Gomes

An obvious choice, but he can't be ignored. I do wonder what he wuld have done had he not missed fourteen games due to injury/rotation/suspension. Super season, and he finished as top scorer in the Premier League.

Javier Hernandez

For a 35 year old, that is frankly amazing season. His inclusion in this lit needs no justification.

Aaron Parkinson

I did ponder a while about who the third player in this list should be. More obvious candidates were young centrebacks Christian Radu and Marc Attenborrow, but in the end I went for Parkinson. He isn't the greatest of players, but after being thrown in at the deep end at the start of the season he really took his chance. Hopefully he can develop a bit more yet.

What Next

Go for a third title in a row and regroup and go again in the Champions League. And hopefully no implode thanks to the boards daft short-term decision making.

You have missed the Gomes screenshot off your update :D.

How are Seoul, Bristol Rovers & Boston doing?

I've corrected it now! :)

And I'll put how thoe three have done later when I'm not waiting on my tea arriving from the takewawy!! :D

Thats a massive offer from Madrid, probably a record!

Maybe. But I'm not ready for it yet - the job isn't done at Old Trafford yet.

So after a request from SRL88 to see how my three earliest clubs have done, I have decided to do as he does and post all of their campaigns since I left in a little table. I hope you appreciate this SRL, it took me bloody ages!

FC Seoul

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Season  |  League   |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                            |  Other
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 2012  |  K-League  |  6th       |  KO'ed in 1st Rnd Of Playoffs        |  Peace Cup Winners
| 2013  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Lost in playoff final                       |  KFA Cup Winners
| 2014  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  
| 2015  |  K-League  |  2nd      |  Won in playoff final                       |  
| 2016  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  Peace Cup Winners
| 2017  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  Peace Cup Winners, Asian CL Winners
| 2018  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Lost in playoff final                       |  Peace Cup Winners
| 2019  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  Asian CL Winners, CWC Runners-up
| 2020  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  Asian CL Winners
| 2021  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Won in playoff final                       |  Peace Cup Winners
| 2022  |  K-League  |  2nd      |  Won in playoff final                       |  Asian CL Winners
| 2023  |  K-League  |  1st       |  Lost in playoff final                       |  

Bristol Rovers

| Season  |  League       |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                       |  Other
| 2012/13  |  League 1  |  19th       |  Survival                                   |  
| 2013/14  |  League 1  |  18th       |                                                  |  
| 2014/15  |  League 1  |  14th       |                                                  |  
| 2015/16  |  League 1  |  10th       |                                                  |  
| 2016/17  |  League 1  |  21st        |  Relegated                               |
| 2017/18  |  League 2  |  3rd         |  Promoted                                |  
| 2018/19  |  League 1  |  24th       |  Relegated                                |  
| 2019/20  |  League 2  |  14th       |                                                  |
| 2020/21  |  League 2  |  19th       |                                                  |
| 2021/22  |  League 2  |  13th       |                                                  |
| 2022/23  |  League 2  |  1st          |  Promoted as Champions         |  
| 2023/24  |  League 1  |  23rd       |  Relegated                                |  

Boston United

| Season |  League   |  Lge Pos |  Notes                                             |  Other
| 2013/14  |  League 2  |  8th          |                                                   |  
| 2014/15  |  League 2  |  2nd         |  Promoted                                 |  
| 2015/16  |  League 1  |  22nd       |  Relegated                                 |  
| 2016/17  |  League 2  |  23rd        |  Relegated                                 |
| 2017/18  |  BSB Prem  |  2nd       |  Lost in playoff final                 |  
| 2018/19  |  BSB Prem  |  2nd       |  Lost in playoff semi final         |  
| 2019/20  |  BSB Prem  |  2nd       |  Promoted via playoffs              |
| 2020/21  |  League 2  |  1st          |  Promoted as Champions           |
| 2021/22  |  League 1  |  5th          |  Lost in playoff semi final         |  JPT Trophy Runners-up
| 2022/23  |  League 1  |  14th        |                                                   |  
| 2023/24  |  League 1  |  20th        |  Survived relegation                  |  

Well it was about time to be fair. Been meaning to do it since I left Bristol Rovers. :D

Well worth it then :). Seoul have been fantastic and Boston are picking up nicely.

Well worth it then :). Seoul have been fantastic and Boston are picking up nicely.

I might do Swansea and Man City at the end of next season, but to be fair it's easy enough to keep up with what they have been doing!

And yes Seoul have been great. I like to think I laid the foundations for their success, you know, because my few months there were so important in their history.

As for Bristol City and Boston, both have yo-yoed a fair bit. Boston's journey has been much more entertaining to follow though. They have actually had the same manager, Ian Bogie, since I left the club. A great example to all these clubs that chop and change managers all the time! Bristol Rovers on the other hand are on their sixth manager since I left.

Good read! Took me a while but I got through it. Was well impressed when I saw you took on Manchester United! Was literally praying that you'd win the Champions League and was kind of gutted when you didn't! I'm hoping you get a perfect season during your time in charge! :)

Great season tomtuck! Tough to lose out to your old club for the Champions League, but also nice to kow that you've built something there that has lasted.

Good read! Took me a while but I got through it. Was well impressed when I saw you took on Manchester United! Was literally praying that you'd win the Champions League and was kind of gutted when you didn't! I'm hoping you get a perfect season during your time in charge! :)

Great effort to read through it all! :D

Taking on United wasn't a tough decision - they are the team i support and i had achieved my goal at City. A perfect season would be nice, but i'm not that fussed to be honest. Just winning trophies and laying the foundations for success after i've gone is the aim.

Great season tomtuck! Tough to lose out to your old club for the Champions League, but also nice to kow that you've built something there that has lasted.

Cheers dude. :thup:

I've got to be honest and say that on reflection i'm really proud of what Swansea achieved, even though it was against me. And it is great to see them still competing so well in general. All too often AI managers come along and destroy what you did, and although it was their first trophy since i left, they have remained up there in the league and continued to challenge in the other competitions.

So my assistnat Analtoliy Tymoschuk decided to leave us for Swansea, despite being offered a very pucrative deal to stay. So a new assistant was needed, and I decided to bring back a bit of a club legend;

newassistantjune2024.png

Oh yes. :cool:

In terms of being an assitant, he doesn't really have the suitable attributes.

Gerrard & Messi dont have the best stats in the world but they are two of the best assistants I have had.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Season Preview - 2024/25 - Manchester United F.C

Board Expectations

Premier Legaue: Qualify for Champions League

FA Cup: Reach semi finals

League Cup: Not Important

Champions League: Reach Quarter Finals

Community Shield: Not important

Personal Expectations

Premier League: A third in a row would be great

FA Cup: Semi's will do

League Cup: Win it - would be my 10th!

Champions League: Hopefully go one step further than last season

Community Shield: It's always nice to start the season well - win it

Budgets

Transfer: £69,397,668

Wages: £2,170,444 (Currently spending £1,253,739)

Balance: £7,345,000 (Down £15,165,026 from last year)

The boards expectations are fair enough, but they are probably under selling us a bit. My expectations are higher, and I expect us to get close to achieving them.

The transfer budget is outstanding, though because of the boards crazy decision to spend so much on improving the stadium, spending it may not be so wise as our balance isn't in great shape. I expect that to improve though, as I'll be cashing in on a couple of players who are in their late twenties. Also with Gareth Bale retiring, we'll be saving just over £7million a year on his wages.

That's a great transfer budget! Could have some fu with all that ;)

Indeed, but such huge investment isn't needed. Before the end of the eason I already had four players signing, and don't really need to add to that.

Can you not do both?

Well that wasn't the issue. It was more about whether or not i wanted to do it again. The only thing really tempting me was the chance to manage Jason Malpass again.

In the 7th minute of stoppage time, of course. ;)

We always go to the end. :D

Freeky offer from Real. :eek:

It was, but it isn't the right time to leave Old Trafford yet.

Thomas Lewis' Career - Preseason - 2024/25 - Manchester United

Transfers

transferssummer2024.png

Not much activity this window, but an excellent window for us nonetheless with us making £36.5million. All of our business was done even before the end of last season, and the oldet of the payers to join us is just 25. In terms of players leaving the club, there are probably a couple of surprises to you.

Nicolas Garcia had recently turned 29, and had just one year left on his contract. He was wanting a wage increase of £30,000 p/w to take his wages to £160,000 p/w, and that was out of the question with me looking to cut costs. A deal couldn't be agreed, and so I sold him. I could have had an extra £3million from Swansea for him, but would rather see him abroard. We'll save about £6.8million a year on his wages.

Saturnin Ahouadjinou was in a similar scenario. He had turned 29 in March, though had three years left on his deal worth £140,000 p/w. Last season he only played 31 games due to the emergence of Christian Radu and Marc Attenborrow, and I simply wasn't prepared to have a third choice CB getting paid so much. The fee was extremely good, and we will also save us around £7.3million a year wages.

Both Andrej Novakovic and Victor David wanted to leave because of a lack of first team appearances, and we got decent money in for them. Scott Sinclair left the club and opted to retire, and one man not on the lit is Gareth Bale, who also retired at the end of last season, saving us £7m on wages.

Here are the players that joined the club over the summer;

Karl Robinson

Very cheap because of Blackburn's money issuses. Has 3* potential so could turn out to be a pretty good player. Lets see how he develops.

Vincenzo Tilli

Like Robinson he has 3* potential, although he already looks to be a decent player. Can also play in three positions so will definitely be of use. He will eventually be a central defender though.

Cabral

Looks an absolute snip for £10million. A couple of his mentals could do with being upped, but will be excellent whether deployed as a CM/DM or a CB. Also at just 22 he has alot of time on his side.

Cumali Torun

This guy was sat in Real Madrid's 'B' team! What a very good player to get on a free transfer. His wages were a bit steep with no transfer fee to pay, I suppose it's not really that big of a problem. Hopefully he can add a bit of extra something to us.

Squad

squadsummer2024.png

I'm very excited about how the quad looks now compared to when I took over. It has much more youth to it now, and with that youth comes pace - something that was lacking somewhat when I jined the club. The older players still have their part to play, especially Hernandez at 36, who was so impressive last season.

Preseason 2024/25 Continued

Preseason Friendlies

preseasongames202425.png

We made a slow start to our tour of China, but we were missing some players due to the Olympics, so that was fairly understandable. We won our last game well, before beating Burnley by the same scoreline. A decent preseason for us.

Community Shield

csfixture202425.png

A really crazy game! We went ahead twice but both times Spurs pegged us back, and at halftime it was 2-2. In the second half though we blew them away, and in the end ran out comfortable 5-2 winners. A very good final game on the attacking front before the real stuff gets under way.

We begin the campaign away to newly promoted Birmingham City.

Torun looks immense quality. :thup:

Just got to try and fit him in the side enough to keep him happy now!

Kind of reminds me of United's win over City, 3 in the second half! :)

Well i've attended quite a few wins over City, so you'll have to be more specific. :D

You've brought in some good looking players there! The money you've made it great too.

The sales were needed after the board decided to expand the stadium. If we hadn't had made that £36.5million profit on transfers, we'd have been heading into the season with a balance of around £25million, and we simply wouldn't cope with that. Unlike at City, the board don't just simply pump money in if we need it.

Thomas Lewis' Career - August 2024 - Manchester United

Premier League

plfixturesaug2024.png

pltableaug2024.png

Well we've started well enough by winning two out of two, but I've got to be honet and say I was annoyed by the Birmingham game. Twice we went ahead, and twice they pegged us back. Thankfully though Gomes went crazy in the last half hour and banged in another three to add to his first half penalty, giving us a 5-2 win. We need to defend better in future. A routine win gainst Leicester followed, but we should have won by more than three goals to nil. Gomes saw a penalty saved which would have given him another hattrick, and various other chances were missed. But a big plus was Cumali Torun getting his first goal for club from midfield.

Our next game is on September 1st away to Liverpool.

Archived