FM12: F.C. Barcelona – Més que un club

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The full game hasn't even been released yet, whatever I write now will be heavily altered as of next weekend and beyond. I have the demo analysis almost ready to go though and it will be up this evening ;) By the way guys, I'm very happy for anyone to point anything out and give me advice.

Watching the game against Racing whilst finishing off the analysis, anybody else watching?

Really sorry guys, the full analysis is taking longer than I expected. It should be up tomorrow though ;)

Here are my tactics, which can easily be created via the TC, I would appreciate any feedback to improve them :)

343 - Philosophy: very fluid - strategy: counter

GK: sweeper keeper/support -->distribute to DR

DR: wingback/attack

DC: central defender/cover

DL: wingback/support --> run from deep sometimes (not madatory)

DMCR: defensive midfielder/defend

DMCL: deep lying playmaker/support --> run from deep often and set as primary playmaker

MCR: advanced playmaker/support

MCL: advanced playmaker/attack

AMR: inside forward/attack

AMC: trequartista --> set as primary target man with supply to feet, max. c.freedom, roam. yes

AML: inside forward/attack

433 - Philosophy: balanced - strategy: counter

GK: sweeper keeper/support

DR: wingback/attack

DC: central defender/cover

DC: central defender/stopper

DL: wingback/support --> run from deep sometimes (not madatory)

DMC: defensive midfielder/defend

MCR: deep lying playmaker/support --> run from deep often and set as primary playmaker

MCL: advanced playmaker/attack

AMR: inside forward/attack

AML: inside forward/attack

ST: trequartista --> set as primary target man with supply to feet, max. c.freedom, roam. yes

Team strategy (for both tactics)

Passing style: shorter

Creative freedom: more expressive

Closing down: press more

Tacking: default

Marking: zonal

Crossing: default

roaming: more roaming

Shouts (for both tactics)

Retain Possession

Pass into Space

Work Ball into Box

Push Higher Up

Hassle Opponent

Stay on Feet

Hi guys, I've uploaded my basic layout for the OP along with the details which I've written up so far. I appreciate that it's far from finished, but I hope that you like what I've done so far. If you can see anything that I've missed out and/or got wrong, just post it and I'll take it on board.

I have a maths exam tomorrow, so I probably won't get much more of this done today. Tomorrow evening though, I'm hoping to finish off atleast the player analysis.

Cheers, Josh.

Looks good so far kamikaze_josh! Love the fact that the template has the best of the Barca B players down for analysis as well. I'll be starting a Barca save as soon as Friday rolls round and I can get my hands on the game. This is the first time I've actually decided I'm going to post in a team thread, mostly because I had a good bit of success last year in replicating certain aspects of Guardiola's tactics, as well as developing players through La Masia.

Very excited to work on a few tactics for FM12, principally Pep's 3-4-3, alongside the traditional 4-3-3. I'll most likely make a few changes to the database for the youth players, as I feel I'd hopefully know as much and would have seen as much of the players as the researcher may have. Barca TV + streaming makes life so much more fun.

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed if Pol Balleste is in the game but hasn't been given a high-ish potential. He's not technically part of the Juvenil A (Spanish U19s) squad for this season. Therefore his inclusion would suggest they wanted him in as he's a top prospect in real life. I take it Alex Grimaldo isn't in the game either? He's just turned sixteen in real life so he should be eligible; he's also very much Barca's top prospect at LB at the moment. He's started for the B team in Liga Adelante at the age of 16 and performed incredibly well so he's definitely one to watch. If he isn't in the game I'll definitely be adding him via the editor.

Any indication of how high Sergi Samper and Jean-Marie Dongou's potential is? Both are gems for Juvenil A and are perfoming vey well in the NextGen Series. Also be interested to see how high the potential of Javi Espinosa, Rafinha and Sergi Roberto is, as all are touted to have a good future in football - be it at Barca or elsewhere. Really looking forward to developing Gerard Delofeu too, who seems to have been given a well deserved boost for FM12.

I usually manage both the Senior and B squads; it gives me tactical continuity across the club and better access to player development and management. Even though it can be a major pain in the bum. I'll also be completely revamping the backroom staff and creating individual and generalized training schedules, which'll probably take a good few hours. Makes the game so much more enjoyable and realistic though! Can't wait, roll on Friday!

Nice OP and I'm looking forward to playing as my favorite side even more now that Cesc and Sanchez are part of the side. Hoping that the youth team prospects are better this year other than Muniesa. FIFA 12 is nice, but come Friday, I'll be FM'ing with Barca and City saves. My goal is to build on youth and only investing in players I can turn into homegrown guys down the road

Wow Yonko!!!! amazing stats there, how are you playing him as a st with trequartista role? Are you using Kruncrni's advices, hints? I would appreciate if you could upload your tactic somewhere to see what settings you are using. BTW did you use classic tactic or the TC to create it? KUTGW :D

what is so challengin & fun about being barcelona? this season must be so easy, im just wondering out of curiosity how do you motivate yourself to do a season with barca because they're head & shoulders above the rest of the teams in their league and in europe

Because some people like easy success?

what is so challengin & fun about being barcelona? this season must be so easy, im just wondering out of curiosity how do you motivate yourself to do a season with barca because they're head & shoulders above the rest of the teams in their league and in europe

Generally I think most of us who play with Barca are motivated by replicating the real life tactics (not easy!) and also trying to build on the youth in the future. Success is defined in different ways at different clubs - at Barca, everything has to be almost perfect.

35 minutes until FM12 is out! My pre-load has just finished :D

Generally I think most of us who play with Barca are motivated by replicating the real life tactics (not easy!) and also trying to build on the youth in the future. Success is defined in different ways at different clubs - at Barca, everything has to be almost perfect.

35 minutes until FM12 is out! My pre-load has just finished :D

Fair enough mate I still think barca is quite an easy season but hey thats just my opinion & at the end you do what you want My pre load finished a few hours back counting down the minutes now

It's fun to play with Messi, Cesc et al. The challenge is maintaining the club's ability to challenge and developing the youngsters. Plus, if you're a Barca fan, you'd want to play as them. I usually set my own rules not to buy stars and focus on youth development

Fair enough mate I still think barca is quite an easy season but hey thats just my opinion & at the end you do what you want My pre load finished a few hours back counting down the minutes now

I don't know about the others, but I've been a Barca fan for 20 years and I always played CM/FM with them the most. The challenge is to fit all this great talented players and continue the success. The challenge is to develop some youth players from Barca's own academy along the way. The challenge is to use a tactic that either replicates Barca's beautiful style IRL or creates a different one.

I personally want to achieve all three - dominate, develop youth and do it all like IRL Barca style and tactics. Someone has to replace Guardiola sooner or later.......why not me?

Winning isn't everything. It's all about winning with style. Dominating possession, playing beautiful football, scoring loads, piling clean sheets and cruising the league.

What he said! Plus the other arguments about replicating Guardiolas tactical philosophy (almost impossible in the current ME), and developing La Masia youth prospects to the same extent real life Barca has managed today...

I don't know about the others, but I've been a Barca fan for 20 years and I always played CM/FM with them the most. The challenge is to fit all this great talented players and continue the success. The challenge is to develop some youth players from Barca's own academy along the way. The challenge is to use a tactic that either replicates Barca's beautiful style IRL or creates a different one.

I personally want to achieve all three - dominate, develop youth and do it all like IRL Barca style and tactics. Someone has to replace Guardiola sooner or later.......why not me?

What he said too! :)

I'm playing as Barca for the same reason as I enjoy watching them IRL, even though I'm not a fan - I love football, and they can play the best football at the moment.

Watching my front four of Neymar, Messi, Sanchez and Iniesta interchange, spin, find space, beat a man and finish clinically and in style is reason enough IMO.

I'm also trying to emulate the new 3-4-3 after reading this article, which if you haven't seen it you'll really enjoy. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/08/29/barcelona-5-0-villarreal-tactics/

Because FM and RL football are slightly different, to get the same effect I've not followed the article's illustration religiously:

GK Valdes (sweeper-attack)

DC Pique (CD - cover)

DL Baines (FB - automatic)

DR Alves (FB - automatic)

DMC Mascherano (anchorman)

MCL Xavi (DLP - support)

MCR Fabregas (B2B)

AMCL Iniesta (att mid - attack)

AMR Sanchez (winger - attack)

FL Neymar (inside forward - attack)

FCR Messi (treq.)

Doing it this way seemed to be the best combination of a modicum of solidity, good passing triangles and a fluid front four. All of the front six are on roaming.

Unsurprisingly keeping it tight at the back is harder than scoring. I think I need to tweak the DC and DMC mentalities to make them work better as a unit. The DR and DL played suicidally as wingbacks so I changed them to fullbacks, but they still end up at the byline on a fairly regular basis :)

I signed quite a few people after having a decent clearout. I got Neymar and Baines, as above, and also Valencia and Smalling who cover Sanchez and Alves (although I think Smalling will end up taking Puyol's place as Pique's backup). I also got a well-rated 17 yo DMC from Bayern B who my scouts recommended.

My only regret so far is replacing Villa as first choice with Neymar already. I haven't found Villa being more clinical to be as useful as Neymar being really fast and creative, though. I think Neymar being two-footed makes him a real terror cutting in from the left as he's able to cross or shoot, and beat a man either side.

I think that's about it for now. I've not got more than about 5 games into the season, will report further!

Wow Yonko!!!! amazing stats there, how are you playing him as a st with trequartista role? Are you using Kruncrni's advices, hints? I would appreciate if you could upload your tactic somewhere to see what settings you are using. BTW did you use classic tactic or the TC to create it? KUTGW :D

Sorry to reply to this so late.....

I started with a TC created tactic - Balanced/Standard 4-1-2-2-1 with Messi as Trequartista up front. Then I converted the tactic to Classic and made some tweaks. For Messi's instructions I tweaked Closing Down to highest, try through balls to sometimes and cross ball to rarely. The rest of the players/roles saw more tweaks than their default instructions once converted from TC to Classic. Tempo and Time Wasting also were tweaked. I haven't followed Krunccrni's advices and hints.

Keep in mind that was just on the Demo. Now on the full game, I'm using the same 4-1-2-2-1 formation with the TC, not converted to Classic. I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed the ME is different than on the Demo - players seem to be more eager to attack and less so to keep possession, there is a better flow of movement and passing, better defending, etc. That is weird because my instructions haven't changed, it is pretty much the same tactic. However, my observations are just based on 5 pre-season friendlies only so far. But they are against the same MLS teams I played on the Demo as well - Chicago, New York, LA Galaxy and DC United (the 5th friendly was against Fiorentina at home).

The crazy thing also is the fact that I've won two of those friendlies 7-1 and I beat Fiorentina 6-1 with some amazing goals (Messi has 10 goals and 6 assists from 5 friendlies!), but my possession and passing stats have been worse than on the Demo, even though it is practically the same tactic (On the Demo, I converted my tactic to Classic after the friendlies, so my basis for comparison of the Match Engine is valid).

Anyway, Messi is a beast regardless. Keep in mind that it is also important how you set up the players around him as well. I personally do not like to use runs from deep, run with ball, try through balls on often for anyone and I always set long shots on rarely for everyone.

I've watched every Barca game this season so a few pointers about your roles.

The DR and DL played suicidally as wingbacks so I changed them to fullbacks, but they still end up at the byline on a fairly regular basis :)

They absolutely need to be on defend duty rather than automatic. They are closer to centre-backs than full-backs in truth but I understand why you've chosen to play them as full-backs. You could manually reduce their RWB and set cross from to deep or use the appropriate shout 'Cross early' or whatever it's called.

Also, Fàbregas should be the AMCL and Iniesta next to Xavi as centre midfield / att (the role is debatable). In 3-4-3 the left-sided forward keeps width imo. Villa doesn't cut inside like he does when they play 4-3-3. He will make the off-the-ball runs due to his PPMs so I'd change him to winger / attack too. The sole centre-back may need be ball-playing defender since it gives the player more creative freedom and thus will be more inclined to play way out of trouble.

Messi might be better suited to play as complete forward / support since using trequartista actually limits other players creative freedom by a few notches. This is a coin toss, though. If it works well in the ME, it's fine. Just an idea.

Other than that you've got the roles pretty right imo.

@kamikaze_josh

Great to see your squad analysis is up and all, but perhaps you could find the time to finish it? ;)

It seems you've had a problem with the copy/pasting as most of your actual analysis text is cut of after a few words of every paraphrase. Might prove difficult for non-Barça fans to make use of an otherwise seemingly thorough analysis ;)

Now on the full game, I'm using the same 4-1-2-2-1 formation with the TC, not converted to Classic

Yonko, now that you're using the TC again, is that version up for grabs anywhere? I'd really like to have a look at it. We've been on the same 'path' in earlier FM versions before, so I'm interested in seeing your version for this year's version ;)

@kamikaze_josh

Great to see your squad analysis is up and all, but perhaps you could find the time to finish it? ;)

It seems you've had a problem with the copy/pasting as most of your actual analysis text is cut of after a few words of every paraphrase. Might prove difficult for non-Barça fans to make use of an otherwise seemingly thorough analysis ;)

Hi Rune_Star, my apologies for the delay. I spent most of last night working on the player and tactical analysis and trying to sort the formatting. It will be up today! :)

I might play as Barcelona however because it is actually fairly boring because you will win everything. You must sell your whole defence or not use them. and Make your defense up of players from English League 1 & 2. Would be interesting.

Yonko, now that you're using the TC again, is that version up for grabs anywhere? I'd really like to have a look at it. We've been on the same 'path' in earlier FM versions before, so I'm interested in seeing your version for this year's version ;)

The tactic is not available for download. I've never actually uploaded any of my tactics for all FMs. I'm not sure I know how to do that, to be honest. Is it the same as uploading a screenshot? What is a good site to upload tactics to?

Anyway, I'm still experimenting with my current tactic on the full game, so I don't think it is ready for any release. I swear to God, the ME on the full game looks and feels different to me than on the Demo. I don't know what it is. Have you noticed a difference in the ME?

On the Demo, even with a TC version of my tactic I was able to achieve 60-70 passes + 90% completion for Xavi/Fabregas as my playmaker. In Classic form, my tactic was achieving 80-90 passes + 93% completion for the playmaker. On the full game, the same tactic in TC form with identical instructions hardly achieves 50 passes + around 85% completion for my playmaker.

And even though my players are within the Normal mentality range, my tempo is slow and my time wasting is on sometimes, on the 3D they seem so eager to attack all the time. That didn't happen on the Demo.

Anyway, here is where my tactic starts from:

Balanced/Standard 4-1-2-2-1

GK - goalkeeper - defend

DR/L - fullback - attack (mixed RFD and RWB, no TTB and Cross ball)

DRC - center defender - cover

DCL - center defender - defend

DM - defensive midfielder - defend (everything on rarely)

MCR - advanced playmaker - support (mixed RFD, RWB and TTB, no Cross Ball, no Tight Marking)

MCL - advanced playmaker - attack (mixed RFD, RWB and TTB, no Cross Ball)

AMR/L - inside forward - attack (mixed RWB, no Long Shots, no Cross Ball)

STC - trequartista - attack (mixed TTB, no Long Shots, no Cross Ball, normal Wide Play)

D-line = second not of Pushed Up

Width = first notch of Narrow

Tempo = third notch of Slow

Time Wasting = first notch of Sometimes

Every player is set on the Shortest passing. Tight Marking for everyone, except the MCR.

Thanks for the tips, Dakka. Where is Alves playing this season then - does he have a defend duty in the 3-4-3 (as opposed to the 4-3-3 where he is super-attacking)?

I know Fab is supporting Messi this season IRL but in FM Iniesta is natural AMC and Fab natural MC.... maybe I'll try them on 'swap position'. That could be fun.

I just got given £34m to spend in November. Most of my team is performing well, with the exception of Busquets and Masch but they're so good that it must be either my system or the way match ratings are assessed. Might look to sign some youth players. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the tips, Dakka. Where is Alves playing this season then - does he have a defend duty in the 3-4-3 (as opposed to the 4-3-3 where he is super-attacking)

I think Guardiola will opt to play him as the right-sided defender (full-back / defend) in the back-three from now on. I believe that he recognizes this is a compromise and not the ideal way to play Alves but still the best way to include him in the team. He's looked a tad uncomfortable in my opinion. Pep's tried playing him (and Adriano as well) as the right winger in 3-4-3, but this hasn't worked too well: Adriano started as right winger in 0-0 against Sevilla but Pep switched formation for second half. 1st half against Valencia was probably Barca's worst playing of the season and Alves stared as right winger but was eventually moved to the back-line.

I know Fab is supporting Messi this season IRL but in FM Iniesta is natural AMC and Fab natural MC.... maybe I'll try them on 'swap position'. That could be fun.

I don't understand the reasoning for those positions, it's the same as it was last year in FM11. Cesc played a lot in the AMC slot for Arsenal, more than Iniesta that's for sure. But yeah, I reckon they'll both do great in both positions.

Yeah, I watched the Sevilla game (great drama!!) and Adriano was rubbish on the wing. But I've sold him in the game, so who cares!

Antonio Valencia has been quite a revelation for me with 8 goals and 8 assists from 9(6) matches. The other stand-out offensive player is Sanchez - Messi is doing easily the best really but you knew that anyway. Pique and Pedro are the other players who are doing well for me.

I've decided to spend some of the money I got on Munaian as his contract was about to be renewed - I've got him for £1m plus £20m over 48 months. Should be Villa's long-term replacement. He caused me quite a few problems when I played against Athletic. I think the other area to focus on is defence as the players there are older - Puyol and Abidal won't last forever. Thiago Silva would be a good replacement for Puyol, I think.

I don't know if it's just me, but I noticed the ME is different than on the Demo - players seem to be more eager to attack and less so to keep possession, there is a better flow of movement and passing, better defending, etc. That is weird because my instructions haven't changed, it is pretty much the same tactic. However, my observations are just based on 5 pre-season friendlies only so far. But they are against the same MLS teams I played on the Demo as well - Chicago, New York, LA Galaxy and DC United (the 5th friendly was against Fiorentina at home).

The crazy thing also is the fact that I've won two of those friendlies 7-1 and I beat Fiorentina 6-1 with some amazing goals (Messi has 10 goals and 6 assists from 5 friendlies!), but my possession and passing stats have been worse than on the Demo, even though it is practically the same tactic (On the Demo, I converted my tactic to Classic after the friendlies, so my basis for comparison of the Match Engine is valid).

your not alone there Yonko, the ME is different from the demo and the tactic doesn't seem to be as effective possession wise. I had use the TC instead because i had the same issues

Yeah, I watched the Sevilla game (great drama!!) and Adriano was rubbish on the wing. But I've sold him in the game, so who cares!

Antonio Valencia has been quite a revelation for me with 8 goals and 8 assists from 9(6) matches. The other stand-out offensive player is Sanchez - Messi is doing easily the best really but you knew that anyway. Pique and Pedro are the other players who are doing well for me.

I've decided to spend some of the money I got on Munaian as his contract was about to be renewed - I've got him for £1m plus £20m over 48 months. Should be Villa's long-term replacement. He caused me quite a few problems when I played against Athletic. I think the other area to focus on is defence as the players there are older - Puyol and Abidal won't last forever. Thiago Silva would be a good replacement for Puyol, I think.

I totally agree about Thiago Silva. He looks like a perfect fit to replace Puyol and partner Pique in the back. If I'm not mistaken Barca are interested in him IRL.

I've started my full save with no transfers allowed in the first window, but I've put a few gems on my shortlist and I might splash some cash in the Winter window. The players on my shortlist are:

Thiago Silva

Neymar

Lucas Moura

Goetze

Hazard

Muniain

M'Villa

your not alone there Yonko, the ME is different from the demo and the tactic doesn't seem to be as effective possession wise. I had use the TC instead because i had the same issues

Glad to know someone else has noticed.

I'm about halfway trough the first season, really enjoying it. Currently 1st in the league (close race with Madrid), semis in the cup and have Inter in the first knockout round in the CL. Only downside so far are all the injuries; Xavi, Cesc, Messi and a few others have been out for over a month. In Messi's absence I'm playing Alexis as a trequartista - so far it's working great; 33 games, 23 goals, 13 assists :D Also got offered Agüero and bought him for £35 million! Bartra, Fontas, Montoya, Deulofeu and Dongou all developing nicely. If anyone already has played a couple of seasons, I'd be keen to see some pics of Deulofeu and Dongou.

I've been undecided on what team to go with as my first offline long-term save and finally i've decided to go with Barcelona! I've never had a save as Barcelona before, but i'm looking forward to it :D

I've just looked at my squad with the formation i've chosen, which is 4-1-2-2-1 and i've noticed that there is only really 1 position that needs sorting out... Barcelona are in lack of a top class Left Defender as we've got Eric Abidal. He's good enough to do well but i've decided to blow my budget on signing Phillip Lahm. Juventus have come in to sign Maxwell, so Abidal will stay to be back-up.

Will update on my progress as I go along.

Best result so far..

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9663/barcelonavrmadridinform.png

Even had time to take Messi off in the 53rd minute and Xaviesta in the 65th!

Also found this regen and bought him on impulse for £13M, worth it?

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/4256/franckysongoverviewattr.png

Looks top class for a 15 year old!

Archived