FM12 Liverpool F.C Thread - Victory is upon us.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've found it to be good, obviously its not unstoppable because Liverpool's team isn't the best just yet, I've found it works better when the opposition is using anything other than a 4-4-2, because the way the asymmetric 4-2-3-1 I've found it gives my players a lot more room on the pitch to due their duty than the normal or narrow 4-2-3-1. I've got downing playing left wing, Gerrard inside forward, and Suarez attacking mid, or deep lying forward. I dont really alter player mentalities either, I have the philosophy set to fluid and the strategy is set to control/attacking depending on who I'm playing.

Without a prolific striker, Carroll, Kuyt and Suarez all get rotated there, but I'm looking to buy someone like Rossi or Cavani in my second season and keep Suarez in the attacking mid role. The wings don't need to be looked at just yet, but they'll be sorted in my third season.

Also I'd avoid doing to many big deals over 48 months, because you'll just destroy your finances over the long term

i only ever do the 48 month thing at the start of a game if i decide to do major changes to the squad. after that i keep it to everything upfront. aftter 2-3 seasons your finances balance out once your winning something.

want to be able to use the 3 formations and be able to change mid game if needed without having to worry about whether the starting 11 in a 451 change switch to a 442 or 433

Hehe, I do this too. It takes me ages to press continue for the first time, it's how you know your going to have a long term game I reckon, get it properly set-up.

finding its taking me longer due to the new update as the staff i normally got in wont move now and i cant have more than 2 fitness coaches either. I normally bring in Paco and Paul Winsper and Pixao.

lus with trying to get the foramtions done up it means i need to look closer at who i'm buying so trying to search by stats and looking at players who developed well on other saves so i can try and bring them in

finding its taking me longer due to the new update as the staff i normally got in wont move now and i cant have more than 2 fitness coaches either. I normally bring in Paco and Paul Winsper and Pixao.

lus with trying to get the foramtions done up it means i need to look closer at who i'm buying so trying to search by stats and looking at players who developed well on other saves so i can try and bring them in

I'm doing all this as we speak, I'll let you know if I come up with anything particularly worthwhile. If you'd do the same, it would be a great help, I'd I'd appreciate it greatly!!

Alright lads I can't get into my Liverpool save at the moment, so have started a save with Siena in Serie A and am looking on doing a thread for them. These past 2 fm's I've started going smaller teams a lot more as I find I get bored with Liverpool after 2/3 seasons, although I will always have a save with them

Alright lads I can't get into my Liverpool save at the moment, so have started a save with Siena in Serie A and am looking on doing a thread for them. These past 2 fm's I've started going smaller teams a lot more as I find I get bored with Liverpool after 2/3 seasons, although I will always have a save with them

You know it makes sense ;) how many threads do you want this year? :D

Still in my first season with Liverpool on the new patch (it's hard to find the time between work, 2 kids, xbox and some sort of social life). 2nd in the league after 25 games, 2 pts behind ManU and 5 pts ahead of Everton (Tottenham 4th and Chelsea 5th). It's been a decent season so far, still in the FA cup (5th round against Wolves comming up) but out of the league cup (lost 1-5 to ManU at old trafford tough which didn't please anyone at the club...).

Decided to change a bit in my tactis a few matches ago since our right wing wasn't doing great (still ok, Kuyt has scored 7 goals in 20 games). Playing a 4-5-1 with attacking wingers. Put Suarez on the right wing as an inside fwd (he's been doing very well as a lone advanced fwd as well, scoring a lot, put wanted to give it a try at RW), Nenê (bought him cheap from PSG where he was transfer listed, wierd as he's a good player) and up front I've put Salomón Rondón, whom I picked up from Malaga, as target man. I bought him as a young back up striker and used as a sub and in a few cup matches. However now he's been on fire. Played 4 games with him on top, with Suarez and Nenê on the wings, and he's scored 5 already. Looks like he might be one for the future (too bad for Carroll tough).

Still in my first season with Liverpool on the new patch (it's hard to find the time between work, 2 kids, xbox and some sort of social life). 2nd in the league after 25 games, 2 pts behind ManU and 5 pts ahead of Everton (Tottenham 4th and Chelsea 5th). It's been a decent season so far, still in the FA cup (5th round against Wolves comming up) but out of the league cup (lost 1-5 to ManU at old trafford tough which didn't please anyone at the club...).

Decided to change a bit in my tactis a few matches ago since our right wing wasn't doing great (still ok, Kuyt has scored 7 goals in 20 games). Playing a 4-5-1 with attacking wingers. Put Suarez on the right wing as an inside fwd (he's been doing very well as a lone advanced fwd as well, scoring a lot, put wanted to give it a try at RW), Nenê (bought him cheap from PSG where he was transfer listed, wierd as he's a good player) and up front I've put Salomón Rondón, whom I picked up from Malaga, as target man. I bought him as a young back up striker and used as a sub and in a few cup matches. However now he's been on fire. Played 4 games with him on top, with Suarez and Nenê on the wings, and he's scored 5 already. Looks like he might be one for the future (too bad for Carroll tough).

Update: Rondón has now scored 9 goals in 4(2) games. Was thinking about getting Damião for the next season but with Rondón I don't think it will be neccesary.

Also ManU only got 0-0 in their last game at Old Trafford against Villa while we won at Anfield 3-0 against Bolton. So now we're both on 62 pts (ManU +40, Pool +38) after 26 games.

I'm doing all this as we speak, I'll let you know if I come up with anything particularly worthwhile. If you'd do the same, it would be a great help, I'd I'd appreciate it greatly!!

Will do. It'll be slow going form me tho as i dont get much time to play anymore.

my young goalkeeper Pierre-Yves Ouefio has broken the record as the Youngest Liverpool Player, Youngest Community Shield Player and Youngest Premier League player so far - I hope to have him break the same record in the Carling and FA Cups and the Champions League (providing he's still the youngest about, which he should be for all but maybe the FA Cup). it's a token record but it's nice to have and I want him to get as much gametime as possible even at the age of 15.

he broke the Community Shield Player by over 1000 days which was pretty fantastic. :thup:

EDIT: bollocks - he's inelligible for the Champions League for some reason... dunno why as I signed him before he could've played any games for Stade Rennais, nevermind any Champions League games (they didn't even qualify for that tournament). In fact - he's registered in my Champions League squad - anybody have any idea why he's not allowed to play?

Youth intake time. As people know, the few other times I've played liverpool, I've always been disappointed by the youth players who come for a trial, as very few of them ever get signed under steve clarke's instructions. This time, there was only one player worth keeping, 15 year old Lewis Flenley, who's rated at having a 4 and a half star potential. Time will see if he fulfills it

Youth intake time. As people know, the few other times I've played liverpool, I've always been disappointed by the youth players who come for a trial, as very few of them ever get signed under steve clarke's instructions. This time, there was only one player worth keeping, 15 year old Lewis Flenley, who's rated at having a 4 and a half star potential. Time will see if he fulfills it

I got a Lewis Flenley end of 1st season. He is poacher striker 4.5* who is unbelievable!! Goals against the likes of real madrid, man utd, city in the community shield etc at the age of 16/17. On his way to greatness owen/fowler-esque and exactly what we could do with in real life!

I got a Lewis Flenley end of 1st season. He is poacher striker 4.5* who is unbelievable!! Goals against the likes of real madrid, man utd, city in the community shield etc at the age of 16/17. On his way to greatness owen/fowler-esque and exactly what we could do with in real life!

A poacher, thanks for that. He's going into my first team in the next pre-season but he'll still be available for the reserves, probably getting a few matches here and there along the way. Once he hits 16 I can swap him to my youth poacher training schedule, its not letting me swap him from the basic youth training just yet.

End of season review: I don't think I could have asked for too much more of my team, I won the league in my first season with an 8 point lead over Manchester United, my plan of knocking them off their ****ing perch has started well, they took went top of the table at the end of December when they beat me, but only one loss in January and February meant that I dragged them down by their feet and kept them there. The asymmetric 4-2-3-1 working amazingly for me, my team never always played perfect football, and the performances were mixed be it destruction of Aston Villa 5-1, or being dominated by Fulham for 90 minutes and scoring in added time, it seemed my team meetings the end of each month from February onwards spured Liverpool to the finished line. Only four defeats throughout the season and five draws always meant I was going to be up there, in the second half of the season my team sprung to life and 80 goals scored in the league with 25 conceded wasn't that bad.

The FA cup made it a double for me, beating Everton 2-0 in the final made it all the sweeter. I didn't have a hard run and gave what talented kids there were a run out in most matches.

During the Summer I'll be clearing out the squad, Jones, Fabio, Cole, probably Adam will all go, I prefer Aquilani to him, and I'll also have Henderson and Shelvey to play center mid. I'll also be moving on players like Kuyt, Bellamy and possibly Maxi though I like him. They're getting on now and I'd rather give their playing time to my youngsters who I'll probably hand 15 minutes to each match.

Sadly I'll probably be moving Andy Carroll on too, I like the lad but 6 goals in 30+ matches isn't the type of return acceptable at Liverpool when you only have two strikers at the start of the game

I've managed to finally sign a player I've always wanted to - Niang! Was offered him for £1.8m coz he wanted first team football! Thankfully, he accepted my offer instead of either of the Milan teams! I think it helps that I was top of the league :D - future strike force of him and Sanogo with Fierro shall be feared!

Great to see this thread active & some names i know as well back with their updates keep it up :)

Hey mate hows it going? Today's my last day playing fm12 due to exams etc :(. Can't wait to get back into fm after them though! Want this to be my long term save! (and for me, long time is like 3-4+ seasons since I hardly make it past season 2!)

It's him in first season in Jan - still want one? He scored on his debut - great goal too, Suarez style lol. I had lost 2-1 in my first game too, but against Utd...but now im sitting at top of table after 20 games :)

Nah, I'm good. And let me say; 1.8... You got a bargain there!!

Carroll has scored about 15 goals for me over a season and a bit (6 this season within 10 games, of which he's only played 4...), and only one of them was with his head - coincidentally in his latest game where he netted a hattrick v Leyton Orient. A wonderful diving header from the edge of the area into the near post.

Big Andy is a class act though, he would be ahead of Suarez if I still had him and he's only behind Damiao because he's scored something like 14 goals in 9 games this season. Try Carroll as an Advanced Forward Attack. People are always telling me - "oh, he doesn't have the pace to play Advanced Forward" but I reply with that's rubbish - he's got the strength, teamwork, finishing and composure to lead the line superbly and he bullies defenders. Make sure to restrict his crossing to Rarely though because he can't cross to save himself. I've also altered my setpieces to allow him to be more dangerous and into key position when I take corners. In season 1 I must've scored about 10 goals from corners in the league, and if I can get at least 5 of those for Andy it'll give him a great confidence boost and will also help his average ratings. My CBs play very well without needing a goal or two to boost their averages.

ARGH. second season in a row now that I've gone to Villa Park and lost to them. I can't take this, I don't know why I can't win there! last season I was leading 0-2 after 75 minutes and still lost the game 3-2. this season I went down on the 45th minute, managed to make it 1-1 and then threw it away again. Reina played a stinker and got a 5.7, being the cause of their first goal and then rushing out unnecesarily to allow Ireland to net his second of the game to beat us. Unbelievable. It's my first loss this season, I'm raging and disappointed and frustrated. I beat them 5-2 in the League Cup final and 3-0 at Anfield last season, WHY CAN I NOT BEAT THEM AT VILLA PARK!? Jesus. It's so frustrating.

ANYWAY, little rant over there. Season is going well besides this hiccup. Currently P3, W2, D1, L0 in my Champions League group of Sherifff, Shakhtar and PSG (drew in Paris). Confident of topping my group providing I beat PSG in Liverpool and don't lose to Shakhtar in Donetsk.

I figured out why Ouefio can't play in the Champions League - he's still on a youth contract and cannot sign his first professional contract until he turns 17. He has agreed to sign my Professional contract which I offered him as soon as I approached him, but he obviously cannot play in the Champions League for me until then. I'll be starting him in the next game because it is a League Cup game and also as a punishment for Reina's dire performance. If Ouefio plays well I might start him in the league after that, depends. It's a home game against West Ham so I am quite tempted to do it because I'm practically unbeatable at home - only lost one game in tenure as manager and it was v Leeds in the 4th Round Replay of the FA Cup.

EDIT: fined Reina for his performance and he's unhappy with me and says he has lost faith in me. I genuinely don't care. He was terrible against Villa was largely to blame for the defeat so I'm not backing down from this. I'm not going to get rid of him or anything stupid like that, but I'm happy to drop him until he realises he's in the wrong. I still have to play him in the Champions League, though. Might remove him from captaincy duties for the time being (he's third choice, but Carragher doesn't ever play so he's practically vice).

haha, as soon as I press continue Carlos Idriss Kameni is offered to me by Malaga for a lowly fee of £1.9M. I've put in the bid, might sign him, might not. If this Reina situation doesn't get fixed I'll sell him for a whopping fee, keep Kameni until Ouefio is 17 and then make Kameni my backup. I know it's a huge risk making a 17 year old my first choice, but on FM11 I made an 18 year old my first choice keeper and it was one of my best decisions as he pushed Joe Hart out of the team (I was City) and went on to be Italy's number 1 and help them win the World Cup, so I reckon it's the sort of risk that will pay of very well seeing as Ouefio is 4.5* PA.

This all depends on Reina's attitude though. He's valued at £20.5M so I can get a lot of money for him...

I have completed six seasons now with Liverpool and have managed to pretty much dominate everything winning six league titles and five european cups (we now get to keep the trophy twice yay). The only player left after six seasons is Reina who's still my number one. Honestly I am somewhat bored now, my ultimate goal was to catch with Real Madrid in terms of CL wins. I really should have posted pictures and posted details when I was playing the game.

My overall strategy was to buy the best youngsters I could find and work from there. I think my squad average is something like 23 or something silly like that. This save was pretty much a quest for me to learn how to develop players. I use FM Genie to track players progress in terms of their CA/PA over the course of their career with me, taking screenshots of the squads CA/PA and comparing them at the end of the season to see who improved and by how much.

In terms of actual Liverpool players, Suarez was great for me for a good 4 seasons, before I offloaded him at the age of 29. Gerrard was great for me for 2/3 seasons, and incredibly useful to mentor players coming through. I was a little disapointed in the youngsters at the club, most were simply not good enough. I was after complete world class youngsters but the likes of Sterling/Kelly hit their max CA but were still nowhere near good enough for the 1st team.

Summer season 2 activity:

Having won the league at the first time of asking, and picking up the F.A. cup along the way, the board decided that for a few months my position was untouchable. With that in mind, I was offered a new contract to 2017, being a life long Liverpool fan and wanting to make a dynasty it was accepted straight away. From there I told to board to expand Anfield which should be finished for the start of next season, although only by another 5000 seats, the league and champions league money should make sure I have enough, a new feeder club to increase revenue from another country was also found.

Transfers

Out

Kuyt: OM £7.5 Mill

Adam Fulham £5 mill

Cole Fulham 100k

Bellamy Spurs £1.5 mill

Spearing Swansea £6 mill

Pacheco Sporting £2.2 mill

Doni Leverkusen £1.5 mill

In

Rossi £20 million up front, £10 mill in add ons

Adler Free transfer

Rondon £4 mill

Fierro £1.5 mill

Squad

Goal Keepers:

Reina, Adler

Fullbacks:

Johnson, Kelly, Enrique, Flanagan, Robinson

Center Backs:

Agger, Skrtel, Coates, Carragher, Wilson

Midfield:

Lucas, Gerrard, Aquilani, Henderson, Shelvey, Suso

Wingers:

Downing, Maxi, Augusto, Sterling, Nangis

Second striker:

Suarez, Rossi, Augusto, Gerrard, Maxi, Suso

Inside Forward:

Maxi, Gerrard, Augusto, Suarez, Downing, Sterling, Nangis

Strikers:

Rossi, Suarez, Rondon, Carroll, Flenley, Fierro

The board said that getting into Europe was good enough, I said to hell with that I'm going for the league again

League

leaguek.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fa Cup

Semi finals

Carling cup

3rd round

Transfers

transfersu.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not happy with the season no Europe again will play Sterling more in season 2 already signed Hazard & Doumbia 2 big signings & Cotton,Moises as my youth my goal is return to the Europa league i told the board ill try to get in the top 4 as my squad isnt good enough to win the league but with my 2 signings you never know

Hey guys I write for The Elite Development Blog, wrote this about our Reserve Team's next game, thought some of you might find it of interest?

Opposition Preview: Reserves vs. Aston Villa (Reserve Premier League)

http://elitedevelopmentblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/opposition-preview-reserves-vs-aston.html

After a short break for the NextGen 3rd/4th place decider, the Reserves resume league action this Monday night with a trip to Aston Villa. The match will be staged at home to the first team, Villa Park, a ground which has been host to 55 FA Cup semi-finals (more than any other stadium)... (Click the link to read more)

I'm in November of my second season, and I can already tell you that one Alberto Aquilani won't be around for my third season. Even if I don't rate him at all, getting rid of Charlie Adam for a player thats been injured 4 times since pre-season was an idiotic choice on my part. Luckily Shelvey is almost ready to step up, another year of development and him, Henderson and Lucas will be my main choice midfield, with Suso having an extra years development and Gerrard being back up.

Good luck, hopefully you'll be able to get back in the top 4/start a challenge for the title
Thanks Mate Def need top 4 this season because big names wont Join me though i got Hazard & Doumbia to join me as Cavani & Neymar didnt want to join me :(

Thanks Mate Def need top 4 this season because big names wont Join me though i got Hazard & Doumbia to join me as Cavani & Neymar didnt want to join me :(

It is bad when they wont join. Did you have an injury crisis, only asking cause when I've played the first season a few major teams do crap. Usually Arsenal, Wenger got sacked in my first season for not making Europe at all and now they're 17 with 1 win :lol:

It is bad when they wont join. Did you have an injury crisis, only asking cause when I've played the first season a few major teams do crap. Usually Arsenal, Wenger got sacked in my first season for not making Europe at all and now they're 17 with 1 win :lol:
Not injuries just had a slump in season 1 towards the end of the year Wenger is manager of Barcelona on my save now

8 games left - 3 points ahead of 3rd placed City...2 points behind Arsenal who have a game in hand and still have to play them.

THEY DREW! AGAINST 19th placed QPR! IT sure is a funny old game! But they have me beat in terms of goal diff :( need to beat them, win all my other games and hope they slip up!

They have to play Utd after me so have a chance if I beat them and win the others!

Archived