FMS Community Thread / Episode VI / Return of the Toon

tenthreeleader

10-3 my friend, I'd be amazed if anyone still knows what's happening with the NAB cup these days! It's an experimental tournament with new rules every season. This season, the first few rounds included 3 teams playing half-matchs in a round-robin format. It was darned crazy.

I don't know Balth, anyone that follows the sport can work it out pretty easily, and even those that don't shouldn't find it that hard.

Yeah still 9 for the super goal, from outside 50.

This year there was 18 teams, so basically it was a round robin in the first round, with 3 teams in each group, everyone played each other once, two twenty minute halves.

The 6 winners went through to the next round, along with the two of the best placed teams (best percentage basically of the teams who won one game) who finished second.

They all just played in the quarters.

Essendon beat Melbourne, Collingwood beat Sydney, St. Kilda destroyed Geelong and West Coast beat Gold Coast.

Essendon play St.Kilda next week, while Collingwood play West Coast.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So are the mighty Geelong now on the wane ? or is it too soon to call ?

Ablett and Thompson have both left so they might falter a little, hard to say how much that is exactly, they will probably be their about, but personally I think they will fall away a little.

Collingwood and St Kilda look the two strongest teams this year.

Geelong, Bulldogs and Freo will close'ish and sometimes you just never know in finals.

So that leaves position 6-8 open which could be anyone's: Carlton, Hawthorn, Sydney made it up last year, add in Melbourne, Adelaide and Essendon to that mix.

If I had to predict a ladder it would look like this:

1. Collingwood (and win the GF again, hurts me to say this, because I hate Collingwood with a passion)

2. St. Kilda

3. Fremantle

4. Bulldogs

5. Geelong

6. Adelaide

7. Carlton

8. Essendon (yes I am very optimistic!)

9. Hawthorn

10. Melbourne

11. North Melbourne

12. Sydney Swans

13. Gold Coast

14. Port Adelaide

15. Richmond

16. West Coast

17. Brisbane Lions

F*cking Arsenal :mad: As if I didn't hate your club enough already. I was counting on you winning that so that the Europa League spot dropped to 6th place in the league. If I have to sit as Liverpool have no European football next season whilst Birmingham play in the f*cking Europa League I will lay the blame entirely on the shoulders of Laurent Koscielny and Wojciech Szczesny (forget that we've been sh*t, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT :mad:)

F*cking Arsenal :mad: As if I didn't hate your club enough already. I was counting on you winning that so that the Europa League spot dropped to 6th place in the league. If I have to sit as Liverpool have no European football next season whilst Birmingham play in the f*cking Europa League I will lay the blame entirely on the shoulders of Laurent Koscielny and Wojciech Szczesny (forget that we've been sh*t, IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT :mad:)

Get out of the way! We were going after that aswell. Arsenal, the bastards.

It also depends on the FA Cup as well doesn't it? We can still hope but that doesn't help :mad:

It also depends on the FA Cup as well doesn't it? We can still hope but that doesn't help :mad:

There are now three ways we can get into the Europa League for next season.

1) Finish 5th (not going to happen)

2) Win the Europa League (unlikely to happen)

3) If two of the teams in the top five of the PL contest the FA Cup final then the Europa League spot reserved for the FA Cup winners will go to the team finishing 6th in the league (our best bet).

Boo-hoo Terkie boy, boo-hoo.

Also, in regards to that match. ****

Today, I hate football. :mad:

What was the name of that website some of you guys were talking about a while back where you can download a bunch of really old games?

GOG.com (Terk, don't go there). BG2 is €9.99, but unless you have a real craving for it right now, I'd wait for a bit to see if a sale comes. Easter looks like a good bet.

I don't know Balth, anyone that follows the sport can work it out pretty easily, and even those that don't shouldn't find it that hard.

Yeah still 9 for the super goal, from outside 50.

This year there was 18 teams, so basically it was a round robin in the first round, with 3 teams in each group, everyone played each other once, two twenty minute halves.

The 6 winners went through to the next round, along with the two of the best placed teams (best percentage basically of the teams who won one game) who finished second.

They all just played in the quarters.

Essendon beat Melbourne, Collingwood beat Sydney, St. Kilda destroyed Geelong and West Coast beat Gold Coast.

Essendon play St.Kilda next week, while Collingwood play West Coast.

Yeah, you're right, but honestly, I don't like AFL very much so the constant rule-changes in the NAB Cup are pretty low on my 'pay attention' radar, hence leading to me looking at the new competition every year and going 'huh'.

I agree with you that Collingwood look good for another flag. Geelong certainly look to have faded a bit, and to be honest, everyone else is kind of middling or rubbish. Essendon look much improved though.

OK Today's rant/Stating the bleedin' Obvious section.

If I brought an air rifle, my air rifle, with night scope and muzzle flash limiter on it, into work and fired it from 5 yards into the guy who brings round our mail (obvious implication here is that he is in a more 'lowly' position in the work hierarchy than myself - I don't hold a grudge against him) would I not be in trouble ?

Would I not be in the kind of trouble that ends up with me in jail for 5 years ?

Is 'I didn't realise it was loaded' a valid excuse ? (Hint here : ITS YOUR BL**DY GUN, YOU BROUGHT IT IN, WHY DON'T YOU KNOW IF IT'S LOADED OR NOT ???????)

How can Chelsea actually deal with this internally ? ('Don't do it again, son')

Not impressed by this as you might be able to tell. Might be back ranting later, not even read 'Ferguson defends Rooney elbow' yet.

Did we need reminding that Ashley Cole is an absolute prat?

No we didn't, but my rant was more about why is it even in question whether a serious offence has been committed. Not since I was six has 'I didn't mean to' been any kind of defence, and come to think of it it didn't really work when I was six either.

No we didn't, but my rant was more about why is it even in question whether a serious offence has been committed. Not since I was six has 'I didn't mean to' been any kind of defence, and come to think of it it didn't really work when I was six either.

I was speaking more about the press in general, don't panic! :D

I think whatever they are going do with Cole, fine him, charge him, hang him etc., they should do quickly and quietly. It actually embarrases me that he gets any publicity at all for this, even though it's overwhelmingly negative. This is a 30 year old man behaving like a, well, I think even 'teenager' is a bit ambitious.

Cole is a prat with an IQ of about 5. Always has been always will be.

I can't remember that many instances where footballers have been jailed for things over the years, so don't hold your breath over this one. The UK is much softer than the US when it comes to punishments for things anyway. A year's prison in the states is akin to about a £50 fine over here.

A year's prison in the states is akin to about a £50 fine over here.

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly, what would the charge be? ABH? Of course, understanding your gun laws are different, perhaps other factors come into play.

I read this morning that the person who might come off the worst is actually Carlo Ancelotti.

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly, what would the charge be? ABH? Of course, understanding your gun laws are different, perhaps other factors come into play.

Good folk are just to sick to death in this country of people getting ASBO's instead of proper punishments that discourage them from a life of crime. Obviously I'm not talking about Cole anymore, but his likely let off with a 'slap on the wrist' is a good demonstration of how difficult it actually is to get yourself into trouble over here. Even if Cole had killed the guy, he probably only would have got eighteen months or something silly.

GOG.com (Terk, don't go there). BG2 is €9.99, but unless you have a real craving for it right now, I'd wait for a bit to see if a sale comes. Easter looks like a good bet.

I've just realized that, with just Amazon.com, I can get Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magicks Obscura, Baldur's Gate plus expansions, Baldur's Gate II plus expansions, Icewind Dale plus expansion, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights and expansions, and Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansions for roughly $100, new or like-new. But I will look into GOG as well.

I read this morning that the person who might come off the worst is actually Carlo Ancelotti.

Sounds like they are trying to find a scapegoat...

Who will start the rumor that Jose will be in the running to replace Ancelotti...? I think this will be a perfect match for the media...an owner who never talks and a manager who never shuts up. Jose's brilliant at getting the most out of an aging squad...he loves England...he hates Spain's meddling owners...there is no debt to deal with like Man U...(or american ownership, sshhh, I didn't say it out loud), Abramovich is willing to spend money to build dream squads...Jose hates Mancini (okay, I made this one up)...and last, but not least, Roman's never met a manager he's loved and Jose's never had an owner he hasn't loved...

Rant over...

I've just realized that, with just Amazon.com, I can get Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magicks Obscura, Baldur's Gate plus expansions, Baldur's Gate II plus expansions, Icewind Dale plus expansion, Icewind Dale II, Neverwinter Nights and expansions, and Neverwinter Nights 2 and expansions for roughly $100, new or like-new. But I will look into GOG as well.

Well, it's been nice knowing you, Steve :p

Roman's never met a manager he's loved and Jose's never had an owner he hasn't loved...

My personal feeling is that Mourinho is biding his time to succeed SAF. I don't see Roman/Jose Part Deux happening. Reports I've read indicate that he wants Guus Hiddink to come back, but he doesn't want the job either.

Watch 'em hire Mark Hughes :)

I went to see them in London on the Eastpak tour. They were very good :D I have an eclectic taste in music that centres mainly around all genres of Rock music :p One day I could be listening to pop punk like Less Than Jake or The Offspring, the next I'll be listening to Sabbath or Zeppelin, followed by Nine Inch Nails and Tool, then some At The Drive-In :)

I really love The Offspring too. I've mellowed A LOT over the past few years in music taste, a hell of a lot.

Kind of like them, then? :p.

I don't know, I loved The Offspring up until Americana, and Smash is one of my favourite albums ever, but don't care much for what they've done after that, except for the odd song here and there. For my punk-ish needs I'll take those old albums, plus Bad Religion, Pennywise or old Green Day (talk about mellowing...).

Also Enter Shakiri are pretty good and My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy Before they split up :( Disturbed are just out of this world along with Papa Roach. Hollywood Undead are up and coming along with Limp Bizkit who haven't hit their potential. Offspring have 2 good songs (Pretty Fly, Your Gonna Go Far Kid) Alice Cooper is amazing along with Black Stone Cherry and Linkin Park!! Sorry about the sh*t load of bands!

Kind of like them, then? :p.

I don't know, I loved The Offspring up until Americana, and Smash is one of my favourite albums ever, but don't care much for what they've done after that, except for the odd song here and there. For my punk-ish needs I'll take those old albums, plus Bad Religion, Pennywise or old Green Day (talk about mellowing...).

Haha yes, though I clearly meant to put across that The Offspring is probably as heavy as it gets for me now. :D

Smash is a terrific album.

Oh and, Virgin are coming tomorrow to upgrade our internet connection to 50MB and to upgrade my TV box to HD, with HD channels, because they messed up with one of my mums bills. They obviously felt guilty about itt, the silly fools. A simple apology would have sufficed, seeing as they paid back the extra they took, but I'm certainly not complaining at free HD channels and a 30MB extension to our current 20MB. Good days.

Smash is a terrific album.

That album is such a reminder of my youth. Came out about a year before I started high school. My brother got it on CD and we just listened to it constantly for months.

The eclectic nature of my musical taste probably pointed out by my two most listened to artists on last.fm; Frank Turner and Rammstein.

Offspring have 2 good songs (Pretty Fly, Your Gonna Go Far Kid)

Halt.

"Gotta Get Away," "Why Don't You Get A Job," "Self Esteem," "Bad Habit," "Meaning of Life," "Gone Away," "Dirty Magic," "Genocide," "Come Out and Play," "Me and My Old Lady," "Amazed," "Change the World," "The Kids Aren't Alright," "Americana," "Come Out Swinging," "The Worst Hangover Ever," "Hammerhead."

Burgess, you obviously haven't sampled widely enough. Hell, the entire album Smash could be listed as great Offspring songs.

I instantly lose any respect for anyone who thinks that "Pretty Fly" is a good song. I haven't enjoyed an album by The Offspring since Ixnay on the Hombre, though admittedly I haven't listened to anything they've released after the disappointment of Americana and the rank awfulness of Conspiracy of One.

Archived