FM11: The Official Manchester United Thread – Big club seeks rich, caring owner

CPS

He's not really a top class keeper. Not one of the better options that you have as Man Utd.

Eh, in one of my FM10 runs by 2015 he'd gotten best keeper twice and was on the short list two other times. For a fraction of the price of Lloris or Frey he was performing just as well.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has anyone bought neymar and mario fernandes? Ive had both complain about homesickness even though I've had about 5 brazilians in the squad and even when given leave they still come back unhappy - and they are playing in the first team. It gets to a point where they want more leave and if you refuse it ends up as a massive argument and a transfer request. Anyone else have this?

Also, has anyone managed to successfully get rid of giggs and scholes? Theres so much money tied up in their wages but the board just blocks them even if i get them to accept mutual termination. I did get rid of neville however, I hope in the full version someone will buy them otherwise im stuck with them in the reserves : (

Finally, having played a few save games with manu buying different players just wondered if anyone had come up with a list of definite buys and sales? For me its (assuming i can afford it using sales and 48 month purchases):

BUY: Rodwell, Coentrao, Adam matthews, hazard, kadlec, lukaku, pastore, neymar or dzeko (probably former), phil jones, toloi or fernandes (probably former if fernandes is going to keep bitching) and maybe poli too. And a keeper but might have to wait till second season

SELL: (difficult this because of the difficulty in selling in the demo and having read the blogs on mirror website miles says that it is intentionally difficult to sell in the first season because of the economic climate but..) Evra, brown, o'shea, nev, carrick, berbatov, gibson, ji sung park, giggs, scholes, anderson, maybe owen but he does ok as a super sub, kuszach? - sp

lots of ins and outs eh?! I'm going to play one more save and see if I can play more of the reserves/youth to see if theyre aworth keeping

because i like bringing in youth players or emerging stars before they get too expensive - evra brings in a lot of money and ive found in my saves that fabio and coentrao can do a decent enough job i.e. im not losing matches. Neville, giggs and scholes are just too slow for the sort of tactic i play and are on so much money that if i get rid of them i can edit my budget and get more players in. I'm not one for reputations, "if they're good enough, they're old enough!"

he was referring more the legend status those 3 have, Neville, Scholes and Giggs. Most would out of appreciation of that they have given to our club, a last season to then be resigned as coaches. And I am of that oppinion that Evra is fast approaching that status as well, cause he is again as last season outstanding...

But we all have to remember, each our own game even if we dont agree what others do :)

Not long to go now before we can all start the game properly. The demo gets dull quickly for me as the database and gameworld is just too small so looking forward to getting started with United on Friday. I tend to play the game quite slowly so no doubt some people will be in 2020 by the time I get past the 1st season.

Is anyone planning any self imposed restrictions btw? By that I mean, British players only or buying players under a certain age to develop them? Personally I'll be looking to stick with the original squad until at least the January window and if I do buy anyone they'll be young players I'll be looking to develop. Scholes, Giggs, VDS & Neville I'll be keeping and hopefully moving onto the coaching staff. Would be good to see some posts on here from users who are looking to make some transfers slightly outside the norm but I guess everyone plays the game their own way :)

I can see both sides here.

What Devetems has done is true united by bringing in youth players and letting them learn the united style and making them complete players and cashing in on older players whilst they can. Chelsea and City buy big name older players, creating unbalanced teams with no cohesion.

However, Neville, Scholes and Giggs are different. They have been here since they were kids and this is their only ever club, I don't know the exact number but those 3 have served United Unted for nearly 60 years between them and will never be sold. They will hang up their boots or be allowed to leave to play a final season with a club close to their heart like Scholes with Oldham.

Purely from a gamers point of view, never sell Evra he is the most reliable player in the squad and if you take into account his attacking AND defensive abilities, probably the best along side Rooney. He also has plenty of years left at his best. Scholes is just too good atleast for the first season to want to sell, he can tutor your new signings and although they may have the PA to be better than Scholes, he is the better player righ now, so losing him means an imediate drop in standard. O'shea is a great backup defender as he can play anywhere across the back and because United are his favourite club he will be more happy to accept not playing many matches, same goes for Brown.

Not long to go now before we can all start the game properly. The demo gets dull quickly for me as the database and gameworld is just too small so looking forward to getting started with United on Friday. I tend to play the game quite slowly so no doubt some people will be in 2020 by the time I get past the 1st season.

Is anyone planning any self imposed restrictions btw? By that I mean, British players only or buying players under a certain age to develop them? Personally I'll be looking to stick with the original squad until at least the January window and if I do buy anyone they'll be young players I'll be looking to develop. Scholes, Giggs, VDS & Neville I'll be keeping and hopefully moving onto the coaching staff. Would be good to see some posts on here from users who are looking to make some transfers slightly outside the norm but I guess everyone plays the game their own way :)

Same as you except I'll be snatching a few youngsters in the first window. Well I say a few, this years youngsters are unbelievable so I'm going to try to create a whole new core team for the next decade then just buy the odd player every now and then when one retires etc.

After I've played a few seasons I try saves with rules I have set like only english players or 17 and under players only....but that's way off atm :)

Same as you except I'll be snatching a few youngsters in the first window. Well I say a few, this years youngsters are unbelievable so I'm going to try to create a whole new core team for the next decade then just buy the odd player every now and then when one retires etc.

After I've played a few seasons I try saves with rules I have set like only english players or 17 and under players only....but that's way off atm :)

Good to hear, makes the game that bit more challenging in the long term especially with a club as big as United.

Potential future XI already on the books:

GK. Amos

RB. Rafael

LB. Fabio

CB. Evans

CB. Smalling/McCullough

MC. James

MC. Pogba

RM. Morrison

LM. Bebe

ST. Macheda

ST. Will Keane

Plus that's not mentioning the likes of Cleverley, Brady, Welbeck, Petrucci, Obertan etc.

My transfer policy will be to purchase who I need when I need them. Unlike everyone else I prefer to use foreign players then British players, altough I have no reason for this but if the best option for the role I am purchasing for is British then I will choose him.

I'll look to not spend too much just 2 or 3 players per window (perhaps more in the first) as I don't want us to end up like City. I don't always have the patience to raise a lot of youngsters but any I come across and like the look of I will purchase and see how they turn out.

Probably gonna look at a keeper and a centre mid in the first window aswell as Eden Hazard. I doubt the prices will be the same as in the demo so I'm not gonna set my mind of certain players at the moment.

Bad news though... there is currently some work going on in my house which requires the electric to be off and they might not be finished by Friday :|

British players only eh, I never restrict myself to do so but i always prefer British players of the same position. My midfield consisted of Jack Rodwell the new Frank Lampard (England) and Gareth Bale our new legendary Ryan Giggs (Wales). Still trying to get Wilshere with £35 million althought i know it is overpriced I always dub him as the new Steven Gerrard and what's more he is British (English) so i ignore players of the same position and same stats with him as I prefer British over non-British. Any suggestion of British young and good keeper other than Joe Hart?

wot? replacing older players whilst theyve still got some transfer value and bringing in exciting youth is more of a chelsea/city thing er... are you aware of uniteds history?

I was not talking about history. I was talking about FM as in they have a lot of cash and you can buy many youth players. :thup:

Is anyone planning any self imposed restrictions btw? By that I mean, British players only or buying players under a certain age to develop them?

Think about doing a save WITHOUT buying any players. Did this in FM10 (With United and Dorchester) and it was great fun.

Think about doing a save WITHOUT buying any players. Did this in FM10 (With United and Dorchester) and it was great fun.

I can only guess that was harder with Dorchester than with United :). Sure its still fun building a team with Sakho, Hamsik, Dzeko etc and winning the league by 15-20 points, but its always good to see people trying out some different things.

I can only guess that was harder with Dorchester than with United :). Sure its still fun building a team with Sakho, Hamsik, Dzeko etc and winning the league by 15-20 points, but its always good to see people trying out some different things.

Actually won the league first season with dorchester while came 2nd on GD with United :p. Won everything next year though.

Agree with the other point too. I find it difficult to play a long term save with a top team. So just play lots of small saves with United. Sometimes with restriction, sometimes without.

has anyone bought neymar and mario fernandes? Ive had both complain about homesickness even though I've had about 5 brazilians in the squad and even when given leave they still come back unhappy - and they are playing in the first team. It gets to a point where they want more leave and if you refuse it ends up as a massive argument and a transfer request. Anyone else have this?

Yes, i've brought Neymar - he has been excellent for me, though I mainly use him as back up. He got homesick for me too, though he was ok when he came back. Maybe I just got lucky?

Any suggestion of British young and good keeper other than Joe Hart?

Jack Butland - 17 year old at Birmingham with potential to be a leading Premier League keeper.

Not British but Mignolet at Sunderland is young and looks to have good potential also.

I am playing the full-game right now (legal, there already everywhere in stores here in Holland). Started a game with Man Utd just to see what it's like, its a quite good game, but I am also curious to see what the patch will improve. Hope it comes out around midnight.

Sold Park and tried to sell O'Shea but than the whole team got ****ed off. Bought Elia (15m) Fellaini (10m) and Sissokko (Moussa, 15m), because so far I noticed its very important to have some strong midfielders, and I'm not quite a big fan of Anderson and Carrick.

I am playing the full-game right now (legal, there already everywhere in stores here in Holland). Started a game with Man Utd just to see what it's like, its a quite good game, but I am also curious to see what the patch will improve. Hope it comes out around midnight.

in the demo it was hard to sell players, is it the same in the full game?

Okay, after playing the demo to death, here will be my squad at the start of the game.

GK - Adler/Van der Sar/Kuszczak

RB - Rafael/Brown/O'Shea

CB - Ferdinand/Evans

CB - Vidic/Smalling

LB - Evra/Fabio

MC - Paulo Henrique/Scholes/Anderson

MC - Fletcher/Hargreaves/Carrick

AMR - Valencia/Obertan/Park

AML - Nani/Giggs/Bebe

ST - Rooney/Hernandez

ST - Berbatov/Macheda/Owen

Selling Gibson and letting Neville stay in reserves to be a tutor.

Tried not to make too many changes, just bringing in two essential purchases for me with Rene Adler (£15m) and Paulo Henrique (£11m) as my only summer signings. Will rotate alot, especially to give people like Obertan and Macheda chances to shine. Think the squad is pretty much complete, though if funds allow, I'll bring in Coentrao and let Fabio or Bebe go out on loan for the season.

Thoughts? Can't wait for tomorrow

you can get him for 15 mil up front

I can get him for 15 mil over 48 months, sometimes they want 15.5 mil but still over 48 months and they accept so maybe even cheaper if it's upfront.

Okay, after playing the demo to death, here will be my squad at the start of the game.

GK - Adler/Van der Sar/Kuszczak

RB - Rafael/Brown/O'Shea

CB - Ferdinand/Evans

CB - Vidic/Smalling

LB - Evra/Fabio

MC - Paulo Henrique/Scholes/Anderson

MC - Fletcher/Hargreaves/Carrick

AMR - Valencia/Obertan/Park

AML - Nani/Giggs/Bebe

ST - Rooney/Hernandez

ST - Berbatov/Macheda/Owen

Selling Gibson and letting Neville stay in reserves to be a tutor.

Tried not to make too many changes, just bringing in two essential purchases for me with Rene Adler (£15m) and Paulo Henrique (£11m) as my only summer signings. Will rotate alot, especially to give people like Obertan and Macheda chances to shine. Think the squad is pretty much complete, though if funds allow, I'll bring in Coentrao and let Fabio or Bebe go out on loan for the season.

Thoughts? Can't wait for tomorrow

Sounds good and at 3mil ish Coentrao is definately affordable but question is where to play him. The best team on paper would be Coentrao on the left wing and Nani on the right but I can't get Nani to perform on the right even though it's his new natural position, he just loves cutting in from the left and shooting....usually scoring too. I'd be tempted to to loan Obertan or even sell him cos his stats are too low for the age he's at IMO.

Interesd to know on the situation of selling players also as i am going to be looking to get rid of quite a few players in kuszczak, o'shea, carrick, park, owen, gibson and a few of the reserves also. Ill probably be running the risk of upsetting the squad but ill hope i can win them round of course. hoping my game has turned up today so i can load it on tonight and start a dummy game to see who i can sell with a view to starting a proper game friday once the 1st patch is installed.

One thing I noticed about Obertan in FM10 is that he performs much better than some of his ugly mental stats would suggest. I had him for Lyon in one save and he was devastating by 2013-14 and one of the highest rated players in the Champions League, think he bagged over 20 goals and assists in the last season I played on that save. A useful player to have around as back-up and to try to develop I think + he can play on either wing.

the question is though is Coentrao still £3m on the full game and especially after the 1st patch of course. i for one hope so as he is top quality. btw nani performs really well for me in the AMR position as an inside forward and still scores lots of goals.

Well i got my copy in the post this morning and have been playing it since, but i dont know whether you guys want to wait till you've got it and find out yourselves, or me to just tell you? :)

I'll wait for the patch before I start my Man Utd game. Dartford for me today, then Man Utd tomorrow. Job interview as well lol.

I was thinking about waiting till the patch, I know they'll be fixing bugs etc but none of the data stuff in the patch actually benefits United, Rooney has a HUGE contract & Liverpool are stable. I'd rather negotiate a contract with Rooney myself and watch Liverpool suffer :D

for me personally no one with the game currently would know the answer as the game on release is the same as the demo from my understanding so coentrao should cost £3m still. this may change with the patch though and i wont play a proper game on FM11 until the patch is released.

Chetsfmfan: liverpool are still ***** so dont worry about them being stable. it will take them a good few years to get anywhere near the level of United or Chelsea so we should still be able to see them suffer.

in the demo it was hard to sell players, is it the same in the full game?

I tried some games with the topclubs in England, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd, and how much I love Man Utd the most, it is also the hardest to sell players managing Man Utd. Especially if you try to sell players like O'Shea or Carrick, the whole team gets ****ed off.

Nice thing though is that Scholes and VdSar are immediatly available for a joh as player/coach after having a private chat with them, thats a cool new feature :)

I tried some games with the topclubs in England, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd, and how much I love Man Utd the most, it is also the hardest to sell players managing Man Utd. Especially if you try to sell players like O'Shea or Carrick, the whole team gets ****ed off.

Nice thing though is that Scholes and VdSar are immediatly available for a joh as player/coach after having a private chat with them, thats a cool new feature :)

Tried to sign VDS as GK coach but his agent demand 50k for coach... maybe i try signing him after he retire...

i think this is a fair point that the players become unhappy as after all you are selling english players that have been at the club for a while. it would not stop me doing so though as they always tend to resolve the problem within a few weeks once a suitable replacement is found and the club is doing ok. at least that was my experience from the demo.

How on earth do you beat chelsea i always get players sent off aswell and i have tackling on light. How on earth are you guys doing so well i mean im doing quite well im ahead of chelsea in league but they are so difficult to beat i have had rooney injured for 2 months though. Plus hernandez is terrible im playing him in same role as people are saying on here but he misses so many one on ones whereas macheda has scored 6 in last 5 games, dont even get me started on berba he is alwful

Well here we go again! Counting down the hours and I think I can safely say that Dzeko will not be joining MY Man Utd squad on this game. Why? Simple really, Hernandez is simply astounding! He's been on fire for me in the demo, scoring everytime I play him (just like IRL). Macheda's proven a solid partner for him and I'm struggling to find a weak link in the squad. Tactically, great to see wingers making an impact again, Obertan's definately one to watch. But enough waffling, Steams pre-load is at 52% and there's only a few hours to go.....

Archived