3rd Place Play-Off - Uruguay v Germany, ITV1, 7:30/8:30 BST/CET

bomma

3rd Place Play-Off - Uruguay v Germany, ITV1, 7:30/8:30 BST/CET

wc2010logo.png

uru.png V ger.png

Venue: The Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium

1111037_FULL-LND.jpg

[b]Referee: [/b]Benito Archundia (Mexico)
[b]Assistants:[/b] Hector Vergara (Canada) & Marvin Torrentera (Mexico)
[b]Fourth official: [/b]Marco Rodriguez (Mexico)

How they got here (unfortunately)

Uruguay:

GS: Uruguay 0-0 France

GS: South Africa 0-3 Uruguay

GS: Mexico 0-1 Uruguay

2RD: Uruguay 2-0 South Korea

QF: Uruguay 1-1 Ghana (4-2 pens)

SF: Uruguay 2-3 The Netherlands

Germany

GS:Germany 4-0 Australia

GS:Germany 0-1 Serbia

GS:Ghana 0-1 Germany

2RD: Germany 4-1 England

QF: Argentina 0-4 Germany

SF: Germany 0-1 Spain

Players to watch

Miroslav Klose vs Diego Forlan

This duo of vastly experienced strikers have four goals apiece so far and will be determined to further their respective Golden Boot hopes by finding the net again at the Port Elizabeth Stadium. The lethal pair both picked up knocks in their sides’ semi-final defeats, however, and may struggle to fire on all cylinders come Saturday evening.

The stat

10 – The signs suggest that the match for third place is unlikely to go to extra time, given that Germany’s last ten games - including friendlies - have all had a winner after 90 minutes.

What they said

“Obviously we now have to get over our disappointment, lift the players’ spirits and prepare for this game just as seriously as we would any other. We want to finish the World Cup on an upbeat note because, despite losing the semi-final, we’ve had a very good tournament. I’m really proud of my team,” Joachim Low, Germany coach.

“This will be a difficult game, but we’ll go into it with the same attitude and commitment that we showed against the Netherlands. There’s no guarantee of winning, we’re preparing to do everything we can to clinch third place at the World Cup for Uruguay. However, I know Germany will make it very difficult for us, so we’ll have to fight to our last breath if we want to win,” Oscar Tabarez, Uruguay coach.

Voice of the fans

“Germany have been the more consistent team, but that doesn’t mean they are better than us. The Germans may be physically stronger, but Uruguay are in better spirits. I reckon we’ll see a really tight and hard-fought game,” bernbene, FIFA.com user (Uruguay).

The question

What kind of match do you think we are in for? Will it be a tight encounter or an open game, with both sides fully exploiting their attacking potential?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When we played for 3rd place in 1998, we looked all sorts of lifeless after narrowly missing out on the final, whilst the Croatians were really up for it and seemed to value the win more than we did. For that reason, I wouldn't be surprised if Uruguay would win despite looking the underdogs on paper.

Archived