dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with amateur contracts... I posted on the bugs forum... but when I offer a player an amateur contract (no wage, expenses only) it turns out that not only do I have to pay compensation to terminate the deal, but I'm paying a weekly wage as well... This seems wrong. Anyone else?

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiverton - Blue Square South - 2008/09 End of Season Update

Well, my first season with Tiverton has mostly been a season of relearning. It's been a while since I played in the lower leagues, and I'd never done it in FM08, so some things took me by surprise.

Starting with only a handful of youngsters and no staff is always fun, but challenging. Since my newly signed scouts took their time to find something worth signing, I had to do most of the work by hand. In the end, I managed to build what looked like a decent-looking squad, with lots of youth and some veterans to hold the team together.

Well, first surprise: the veterans sucked. Both at the back (they were too slow) and at the front (the classic tall, slow guy + small, quick guy pair never seemed to work for me). Pre-season was a disaster, with 5 defeats and just one draw. Thinks looked grim, and I had to make some quick signings to cover the most critical points. This fine tuning of the squad continued almost until the very end of the season, and I couldn't have a stablished first team until the last two months or so.

The season started with four defeats in a row, which then were followed by four wins and a draw in a row, hitting a top-of-the-season 8th place in the table. Talk about consistency... Then came the Big Slump, as we managed to lose 12 (!) straight games, including the first round matches of the three cups. We sunk to the very botton of the table, and only two wins in a row against Dorchester and Eastleigh gave us some hope of survival.

Winter brought us to a plateau, alternating victories, draws and defeats for two months, without making any progress towards our goal. Five matches without a defeat in february saw us showing our head outside the relegation zone for the first time in a long while. We never looked back, and although we never managed a winning streak, we got enough points to finish in the 17th position, 4 points clear of relegation.

Tiverton's defence sucked throughout the season, managing to concede 88 goals in 42 matches. Luckily for us, our attack was awesome, with 82 scored, second best of the whole league. Almost half of our matches had 5 or more goals scored between both teams.

In the end, Merthyr Tydfil won the league, and Eastbourne Boro promoted throught the playoffs. Sutton, Cambridge and Hampton & Richmond relegated ( Final table). In the Premiership, Arsenal won ahead of Spurs and Liverpool, who won both the League Cup and the FA Cup. In Europe, ManU won the Champions League, with Porto taking the Euro Cup.

The best player in the team was without a doubt Lennel John-Lewis, with 27 goals and 13 assists in 35 matches, for a 7.40 average score. Brian McCaul, loaned by Plymouth, ruled the midfield, while Dean Smith and Mo Harkin swinging it from the wings. The defenders were bad overall, with only two of the original Tiverton youngsters (Chris Ahmed and Shaun Main, both fullbacks) making a good show ( Squad at end of season).

Now it's time to kick out the underperformers and work in fishing some free talent before the new season begins, and try to build a team aiming for promotion. Hopefully...

I have now completed 5 seasons as Gloucester Manager.

No matter how many promotions i get or how well i do making it to the third round of the F.A cup against Prem sides the club rep doesnt go above Local. There is something wrong with the game that doesnt let the club rep go up.

Would a club that has 4 promotions in 5 seasons, has entertained prem sides in the cup not be in the press a lot and able to attract players at least on par with the bottom sides in the league we are in? Conference sides get better players than me.

The Gloucester have a 5000 seater stadium they dont own so i dont make money and each promotion costs me hundreds of thousands in bonuses that we just cant make back.

The ****ing board wont allow me to sign a superstar on £5k a week despite being £15k a week under my wage budget and going on in the confidence screen to ask that my great management of the wage budget not hinder the club from signing great players. **** off.

My stupid board dont think we need a parent club to loan us good players despite having no money and they dont think we need to scout outside of the UK. All good and well untill you realise we arent unearthing any foreign gems like of the rest of the league.

Damn, damn and damn. For a career thats going so well i'm so frustrated. It is nice that i'm being linked as a possible contender for the Chelsea job though as well as 1001 lower league jobs.

Whitby Town - Season 09/10 - Blue Square Premier - Mid-Season Review

After a pre-season lacking in good results, and with no wins in the first four games, I was thinking that my heroics of last year would not be repeated. However, I've been proved wrong again! It seems that I am unable to do any wrong. My squad is unable to do anything wrong, and with only two loan signings, one of which is to cover my injured second-choice centre-back, I have a feeling the future is rosy for the club.

Current League Table

Current Team Report

Last season saw a wonder pairing of Tom Craddock and Ben Hutchinson up front. Fruitless attempts to get Tom Craddock back on loan (although I got Hutchinson) made me settle for Liam Henderson instead... However, his exceptional performances have lead to me affectionately calling him Darius (as in Henderson...) as I feel even he couldn't do better!

To cap it all off, we've performed spectacularly well in the FA Cup...

Results and third round fixture... I don't expect a win, but I've got my fingers crossed tightly!

I'm not expecting to win the league, but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be in the playoff picture come the end of the season. I'll keep you updated!

What are the views on downloading tactics? Didn't see anything for/against it in the first post, but it feels safe to ask before doing something that might be frowned upon (the tactic I used in the BSS doesn't seem to work in the BSP and my players are playing like blind donkeys at the moment...).

Originally posted by Pixelpinnen:

What are the views on downloading tactics? Didn't see anything for/against it in the first post, but it feels safe to ask before doing something that might be frowned upon (the tactic I used in the BSS doesn't seem to work in the BSP and my players are playing like blind donkeys at the moment...).

There's no rules against it, but it's not something I'd ever do myself.

I think you should make your own tactics.. i dont think there are any rules against it, but i wouldnt feel right about it if i did it

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pixelpinnen:

There's no rules against it, but it's not something I'd ever do myself. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know it's shady (and I almost feel a little dirty icon_wink.gif) but I have never gotten the hang of the sliders (even with the tutorials on these forums they're one big mystery), especially when moving a slider a notch can either make the tactic into a team-destroying machine or break it down completely.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oxslow:

I know I have had permision other years to do this challenge with non real players. is it ok to do it this year?

Of course, that's fine </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the quick reply

But there is nothing wrong in going to the tactics forum and read to get an idea how people think

Originally posted by Burto1945:

OK, been following this since I first got into FM, in my case 2007, and have never officially posted anything for the challenge.

This year, I am in. While maybe not manly, since I will be starting over when the first full patch comes out, I am going to use Bedford, so I can get my feet wet in the new game without having such a disadvantage as the low rep clubs. Now that the digital download is released, I'm ready to go.

Soooo, yeah, I never started that game. Even though I'm sure it wouldn't have affected my game, just knowing there were bugs in the game (that were being fixed) made me not want to play until the patch was out. I got back into FM2007 again, and continued my Whitby game until now. So, trying to decide my team for this year, I reloaded about 12 times until I got....

WHITBY ..

I know, not the most original, but I am determined to get the Seasiders higher up this year than last, where I got stuck in the Conference. So, I'm starting now, here we go.

Oh, and I am not using my retain file, I think. I don't have any players, just about 8 youth players, is that how it's supposed to be? Alright, off to update the challenge website.

icon14.gif

Originally posted by happy slappy:

After five games in the BSS, we are 21st out of 22, and have just gained our 1st point against Dorchester.

icon_wink.gif

After 4 games in the Blue Square South, I'm 22nd out of 22. Lost 4, scored 2, conceded 15.

I wish that damn scout would find me some players. icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by 3Sixty:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scab:

Yeah right, after sulking over not being allowed to leave the club for months, I'm suuure that was the reason. icon_rolleyes.gif

Arsenal stills wants him - I turned down a bid of £23,000,000 from them in the pre-season - so I wonder how long this new-found Hendon love will last...

Arsenal are persistent, there manager has been at about 10 of my games so far this season. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I can agree with that. icon_frown.gif

Darnit, leave my players alone! Especially my new defenders!

Originally posted by kaNovi:

Usually i would be doing a half season update by now, but im not gonna do that this time.

Some might know why =)

In that case KUTGW icon14.gif

If I cant get full power back to my lapptop sometime soon, it will take me forver to complete this season. My laptop doesnt always recognise the power adaptor and thus performance drops.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

After five games in the BSS, we are 21st out of 22, and have just gained our 1st point against Dorchester.

icon_wink.gif

After 4 games in the Blue Square South, I'm 22nd out of 22. Lost 4, scored 2, conceded 15.

I wish that damn scout would find me some players. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took my scout till September to find some players, absolute carp, but hey, still better than playing greys every game.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

Usually i would be doing a half season update by now, but im not gonna do that this time.

Some might know why =)

In that case KUTGW icon14.gif

If I cant get full power back to my lapptop sometime soon, it will take me forver to complete this season. My laptop doesnt always recognise the power adaptor and thus performance drops. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will icon_smile.gif

Im problary not gonna finish the season tonight as i have work tomorrow, but ill guess ill be back with a season update tommorow afternoon

Originally posted by happy slappy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by happy slappy:

icon_wink.gif

I wish that damn scout would find me some players. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Took my scout till September to find some players, absolute carp, but hey, still better than playing greys every game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've just got to September so hopefully might get a few players in soonish, my 16 year olds and greys aren't very good.

On a side not I got my first points in a 4-0 win over The Wombles who finished with nine men.

Played 7 Won 1 Lost 6. /o\

Originally posted by Radon:

Is it just me, or does anyone else have a problem with amateur contracts... I posted on the bugs forum... but when I offer a player an amateur contract (no wage, expenses only) it turns out that not only do I have to pay compensation to terminate the deal, but I'm paying a weekly wage as well... This seems wrong. Anyone else?

Happened to me, some you can release with no compensation, others require compensation (haven't got any of the players left now, but looked to me like you still had to compensate the player for their old contract).

Just had my first visit from a rival manager looking at my right-back, (it's taken until my third season, not sure if that is a good sign or not).

Hopefully we charged him for a ticket.

One thing that is starting to bug me is the fans confidence screen - the fans are disappointed that we have drew two away games and lost one against better teams in the league, at least they are no longer moaning about friendly defeats icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, we lost 2-0 to Middlesbrough in the end... a result that I was delighted with, as they weren't massively dominant.

The best thing about it though...???

What a money spinner! I don't think even Whitby the place has ever seen that much money!!!

This is god-damned ridiculous: Confidence

I can understand disappointment at missing chances, but to have nothing in the confidence bar after only losing 2-0 away, to a team 5th in the league which is four leagues above ours is completely flabbergasting. icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Radon:

Well, we lost 2-0 to Middlesbrough in the end... a result that I was delighted with, as they weren't massively dominant.

The best thing about it though...???

What a money spinner! I don't think even Whitby the place has ever seen that much money!!!

This is god-damned ridiculous: Confidence

I can understand disappointment at missing chances, but to have nothing in the confidence bar after only losing 2-0 away, to a team 5th in the league which is four leagues above ours is completely flabbergasting. icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn, that's harsh.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

Is anyone else having issues viewing images on imageshack tonight?

Every screenshot I click on just wont seem to load for me.

Who have you got in the cup KaNovi?

Birmingham, at home @ meadow park icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gl against Brum then.

Hemel has just beaten Cheltenham 5-3 (at home) in the first round of the FA Cup. icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dons:

He just doesn't get he isn't needed...

sigh

Is this with the new patch ??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope..

Originally posted by Dons:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dons:

sigh

Nope.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats why.. its should be fixed with the patch.

Thx Radon icon14.gif im also getting a bit annoyed with the confidence

Originally posted by Dons:

sigh

Nope.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just unlist him then add him to the transfer list yourself... at least then you won't get the annoying repetitive question!

Archived