dafuge's FM10 challenge

Yeah I can understand that Terk. I must admit that when it did it on me and I was halfway through the season I seriously considered giving up and starting again as I had a season going where I hadn't lost a game and I had to go right back to the first game of the season.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

\o/ Canvey lives \o/

After patching to 10.3 I figured I'd have one last go at opening my Canvey save and, lo and behold, it's there in all it's Premier League glory. No idea what the smeg happened, but the important thing is that I'm back up and running.

Jordan, I've got five saves to upload to your thread, I'll do that in the morning :thup:

EDIT: NM, Good to see you saved the team Terk :D

I'm going to have to start again unfortunately as my hard drive went totally kaput and needed binning, which is why I haven't posted any updates for a while :( New patch I suppose, but what a total pain in the proverbial.

Here we go again then... think I'll save the file to a USB stick this time just in case.

Meet Victor Death, manager of Oxford City. :D

Decided to go BSN this time, Oxford City is a bit interesting anyway since it's an older club than its bigger brother in the BSP, but it's never gotten anywhere. A lower reputation than Hastings was, and a smaller ground too will make it a bit of a challenge.

Here's hoping it goes as well as my Hastings save did (except the HD dying when you're established in the Premiership part, obviously :rolleyes:).

love the manager name aero. Unlucky about your HD dying on you.

HD was ruddy irritating, just started making all these grinding noises so obviously well and truly deceased unfortunately.

I'm sure some of you have already met him, but I hadn't so imagine my shock when I realised I have a 50 year old goalkeeper! I somehow doubt he will be on the books for too much longer :)

\o/ Canvey lives \o/

After patching to 10.3 I figured I'd have one last go at opening my Canvey save and, lo and behold, it's there in all it's Premier League glory. No idea what the smeg happened, but the important thing is that I'm back up and running.

Jordan, I've got five saves to upload to your thread, I'll do that in the morning :thup:

First rule of computers: if it doesn't work, restart and try again :D. Glad to see Canvey still alive and kickin' :thup:

OK, this is worrying. The 4-3-3 I've developed to reasonable success looks like it has been made completely redundant by the ME changes in 10.3

A lot of hard work ahead :(

Had me worried there for a minute with the whole save corrupting thing, wonder why it worked in 10.3?

I'm slightly worried that 10.3 will make Maggio rubbish or something so I kept a copy of the 10.2 save just in case that happens - just about to play the Community Shield now, c'mon Villa, let's 'ave it :mad:

Had me worried there for a minute with the whole save corrupting thing, wonder why it worked in 10.3?

I'm slightly worried that 10.3 will make Maggio rubbish or something so I kept a copy of the 10.2 save just in case that happens - just about to play the Community Shield now, c'mon Villa, let's 'ave it :mad:

No idea why it worked again, but you can bet your bottom dollar that I have rolling autosave turned on now :cool:

Played three games since patching. Heavy loss, fluked draw against nine men, heavy loss. And that was after having had a really good start to the season. Need to go back over those games and have a real look at what's going wrong, otherwise we could be in for a disaster of a season.

*Smacks self*. Three weeks into the game, and I discover/remember that I hadn't used the .ddt file nor the optional "retain players from top clubs" thing, which I always want on. So, third restart in three days :o, and I'm back to Sutton United.

Terk, please infract me if I restart again, kthx.

\o/ Canvey lives \o/

I got a load last night, so if you have any that I don't have, Sweet! :thup:

Just looked through and all the ones that I've got are already up. I'll cycle through some more reloads this evening for you, see if I can get anything different. Every single time I get Nuneaton, and almost every time I get Merthyr.

Just had a string of brilliant results. Forced Wigan to a replay (actually, other way round Wigan forced us to a replay as we were 2-0 up) with a 2-2 result away in the FA Cup 1st round. In the 2nd leg, Pawel Abbott gave us the win with his 56th minute goal, followed by some brilliant defending from our lads. After this, we came back from 2-0 down at half time, to beat Luton 4-2, with Ben 'Gronaldo' Greenhalgh scoring a hat trick. Carlisle next, hoping to keep the run up :)

I can't face going back two seasons to the start of our life in the Premier League. If I'd had one from this past summer (when last I played I was 10 games into the new season) then it would have been no question, I'd have replayed those games, but two seasons is too much to face.

why did the save corrupt, was it a parsing error, i had this and i followed the advice on a thread to correct it.

Edit: good to see you saved your game, lets hope for some positive progress this season.

\o/ Canvey lives \o/

Wonderful news!

Stadium expansion completed, taking my capacity from 16,707 to 25,060. First game is against Everton, and the crowd is 15,559 :D Talk about wasted space :D

I'm sure it will get filled eventually...

Talking about strange things; the FA Cup 3rd round this season is being played on New Year's Eve instead of the first week in January :confused:

I think when I finish this season I will start all over again, but within this game. If I want to do that, can I fire the coach who is at that club? I could change my mind later on, because I am just in September atm but still, won everything there is to win with Guiseley. And having a team with only Guiseley players is gonna take min. 20 years imo.

I'm sure it will get filled eventually...

Talking about strange things; the FA Cup 3rd round this season is being played on New Year's Eve instead of the first week in January :confused:

I've had that once before, faced Aston Villa in the 3rd round at the end of December rather than the start of January.

just played my first game on the new patch and the ref was card crazy, i had 6 yellows and 3 reds, the opp had 7 yellows, unsurprisingly i lost the match.

Has anyone else had similar experiences on the new patch.

Say hello to 'bad luck' from now on midgetram ;)

but looks very promissing!

midgetram you do know about the forum curse don't you??

But it does look pretty promising

I do know of the curse, hence why I waited until I played my run of games against the teams in the top 8, had 5 in a row :rolleyes:, before posting it...

Saying that I just drew 1-1 with Lewes despite having 8 clear cut chances :rolleyes:

FC United - Blue Square North - Season 2011 - 2012:

The League:

The league season started and after just two games, already I had fears of "not again" as we took the lead in both games and in the first game even going 2-0 up before only being able to take a point from each match. We soon recovered and settled down with 3 straight wins after that.

Just like usual, you look to have things sorted, then 2 losses in a row put us back down into 7th place, early injury problems were setting in and finding our best team had also possibly become a problem. We didn't really bounce back and by the start of december, found ourselves hovering around the play off-spots in 7th place.

December however bought new hope, 7 games in one month, 5 wins and 2 draws helped us move into the top 3 and really show us up as serious contenders in the league. We kept that unbeaten record until early january, a series of 9 games before losing a game with an injury hit team.

Injuries were our biggest issue as after a 9 game unbeaten run, including 6 wins, we lost our next 3 games. It came down to the fact, we lost two loan signings who had 3 month deals and had 5 injuries, 4 midfielders and a striker. We had 7 midfielders at the time and played mainly a 4-5-1 so obviously we found it difficult and struggled to put a team out let alone get any decent results.

By february though, I completed the £100k signing (in installments) of our 3 month loan signing from Charlton who played central midfielder and with players returning from injury, we found our form with a decent run of games, 6 wins and 2 draws from our next 8 games saw us move above the slipping Nantwich into the top of the league.

We had 8 games left at that point and we're top of the league by 1 point. For some reason, our form just dipped, we lost 2/3 players to injury and a tough, hard run of games meant we picked up just 2 wins in 8 games. Despite this terrible run of form, we only lost out by 3 points to the title which shows had we even shown average form, we'd of won the title comfortably, however it wasn't to be and we settled for 2nd place.

Away to Telford in the play-off first leg, a 0-1 loss, a poor performance and a sense of having to do everything all over again next year, however we bounced back, securing a 2-1 win on the night to take the game to penalties where Dorian Smith scored the winning penalty to send us through to the final against Altrincham who had finished 3rd.

The Final was a cracking match and after dominating the match and going down to 10 men due to injury after making all 3 subs, we went down in extra-time in the second half. At that moment, I thought we had lost it. I played one centre-back, wing back's, wingers, 2 central midfielders and 2 strikers, we went for it and it payed off with the Lindfield goal which sent the game like the semi-final, to penalties. An early miss from Altrincham meant the game was in our hands and we made no mistakes as Luke Nightingale finished the last penalty to send us up into the Conference Premier!!

League Table

The Squad:

Top 5 players:

Gerard Kinsella - Well, although his stats on the performances won't show it, he was brilliant for us, for those 8 games and also a 3 month loan spell where he scored 4 and created 6 goals in the other 13 games he played for us. Solid central midfielder and a very good player.

Greg Young - Our best defender, a close call between him and Harris (his partner) but Young, named as captain as the start of the season produced some epic displays and when we needed him most, he was always there.

James Wallace - Unlucky to miss out on a higher place but with his ability and in the free-role, his performances weren't too suprising as he was the heart beat of most of our attacks scoring and creating goals for fun.

Robert McCormick - Our top scorer, started the season out the side but soon bought him in with his added pace and movement and despite the low finishing rating, he was anything but fustrating as he started smashing the goals in at key times for us throughout the season.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5753/noone.png - Well a fantastic player and although his rating doesn't show it, my personal player of the year. Played in a deeper role, more defensive yet still managed to create and score as many goals as he did. Great season.

Finances:

Weren't looking all that great to be fair but the play-off's definately helped as our finances moved from £60k to £120k+. Still making money off season ticket holders which next year will only rise while more ticket sales but unfortunately the wages will also rise so hopefully things will be fairly tight and we can remain in the money instead of the red!

Midgetram - How are you so good :p

By buying players who specifically fit my tactic. For example, buying wingers who have good pace and crossing and my DM having less pace but good tackling and so forth. Tbh, we were beating teams 4-0, 5-0 at times last season, just this season we're doing it on a consistent basis.

Congrats on the promotion though :thup:

By buying players who specifically fit my tactic. For example, buying wingers who have good pace and crossing and my DM having less pace but good tackling and so forth. Tbh, we were beating teams 4-0, 5-0 at times last season, just this season we're doing it on a consistent basis.

Congrats on the promotion though :thup:

However it's currently dying on you a bit. :thdn:

Tbh though, at least you're not losing them, unlike me ¬¬

Good to see another Canvey manager doing well, midgetram :thup: And a damn sight better than I did at that level; I've come up through the leagues without winning a single cup or league title. Hence why, despite having Canvey mid table in the Premier League, I'm not even on the favoured personnel list :(

Archived