The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Maloney out for £1m, back for £2.5m on presumably higher wages than before. Another great piece of business by the SSM ;)

I'm just waiting for us to sign Lovenkrands for £4m or something now :(

Wow, the e-tims rumour mill!

Who have had us buying half the Ivory Coast, Pavlyuchenko, most of Shakhtar Donetsk, "an established current England international," and Metzelder every window for the past three years.

Large, pinch of salt.

It actually makes some sense, though, unlike those things.

presumably, presumably, presumably...more like you wish

like frank said, fee heavily dependant on appearances and add ons. The rumour from proven sources say that he accepted slightly less than what he was offered when we tried to renew (20k)

i know who i trust ;)

Maloney out for £1m, back for £2.5m on presumably higher wages than before. Another great piece of business by the SSM ;)

I'm just waiting for us to sign Lovenkrands for £4m or something now :(

Getting a million quid for any player who could sign a pre-contract agreement and leave for free, and still win the league at the end same season, is preferable to a fire sale of best player for any figure and losing the league, any day.

maloney was fantastic considering he had alot of pressure on him he is not exactly 100% fit either class Debut was very dangerous and looks like when he is on the ball something is always going to happen , unlucky not to have scored aswell , his link up play with Sammy was delightful , 950 k a steal and even when the full 2.5 is paid its a bloody steal ,

his pace and movement will be a right asset ,

Maloney was fantastic today. Alomst looked a bit too keen on his 'debut' and was clearly desperate to score, but going to be a huge asset. At the 2nd goal, we were was screaming at him to play in Wilson on his left, but he was able to pick out a pass few others in the team could have for Samaras. Really excellent.

That said, no mention of the first which came off McManus' arm or the second which was maybe a foot or two offisde? Sure the Sunday papers will have opinions....reckon theyre probably just giving us all the decisions while it doesn't matter, given that it 'evens itself out over the season', meaning we can get loads of dodgy penalties against us later [/conspiracy theory]

Celtic have just announced that Saying Maloney deal is done is 'Premature' hahahah ah.... we all he's coming back. FFS! Not the type of player we need back at CP. Strachan really ****ing me off now with his signings so far.

How do you feel about Maloney signing after yesterday?

So I settled down to watch the highlights on setanta last night. Not only were they delayed by an hour thanks to fecking Golf! (Why? they have a seperate Golf channel ffs), but they lasted about 5 minutes and didn't show Naka's skillz. Clearly, we see skill like that all the time in Scottish football.

TV coverage of Scottish football is pathetic.

(That probably partly explains why fans of other teams/journos always seem to think Naka hasn't been very good for us).

• SI Staff
TV coverage of Scottish football is pathetic.

Do you not have Celtic TV as well if you have Setanta? If it's anything like Rangers TV then surely you'll get the full match replayed today at some point?

I usually set up my box to record the full replay and things like reserve matches as well. Pretty good coverage actually. Must be worse for those who support one of the other 10 teams.

It is amusing how if we get a bloody corner against Murderwell or FK against St Mirren, eejits like Booth are apopleptic and the media never shuts up and calling for blood. Never seems to happen with anuthing else except Mikoliunas diving.

I think it'll be 1-0, thanks to a dodgy FK 40 yards out, scored by Naka.

What's the betting these early season bad decisions start to 'even themselves out' starting Saturday?

In that case it should be about 3 or 4 nil to us going by the favourable decisions you've received so far.

But only Celtic fans could complain about actually gaining from the odd officiating mistake. :D :D

It is quite amusing that some of our fans are getting paranoid over getting all the dodgy decisions this year, I'm sure it will even itself out naturally but lets hope the refs are strong enough not to let it affect their decisions.

Cant see Broadfoot, Weir, Bougherra and Papac being able to handle a front 4 of Naka, Aiden, Maloney and Samaras if they get the nod to start.

2-0 to the good guys.

Hard one to call at the weekend. Rangers have really stregnthened the midfield and we have injury problems. However, if (and we all know what i mean by that), WGS goes with the 4231 that we played on saturday i strongly fancy our chances. McGeady, Naka and Maloney behind Samaras please gordon with Hartley and Brown sitting deep :thup:

Sounds like Caldwell will be back too... i'm not sure if that's good or bad :/

the heart says win, but the head says draw.

I'd be happy to see Caldwell back.

Tbf the guy was fantastic at the end of last season, especially against Rangers.

Sometimes these things just don't click, but an attacking unit of Naka, Brown, McGeady, Maloney and Samaras should be fantastic to watch.

Celtic defender Bobo Balde is close to joining Birmingham City on a two-year deal. (The Sun)

Should Balde be taken off Celtic's wage bill, manager Gordon Strachan may make a £3m bid for Hartlepool striker James Brown. (Daily Record)

However, one man who is unlikely to join the Glasgow club is Czech left-back Michal Kadlec, with Sparta Prague demanding £1m for a one-year loan. (Daily Mail)

Please...

Who...

Get the money out.

Please...

Who...

Get the money out.

Bobo is heading for Birmingham, and I for one hope he has a good couple of years there.

Brown is a smashing player, I have friends who are from Hartlepool and they think he will score a lot of goals this season but he isn't what we're looking for at the moment, no chance we will sign him.

Kadlec joined Bayer Leverkusen earlier this week so perhaps the paper should have done a little bit more homework!

I'd agree with you on Bobo, as a centre half he did what it said on the tin and I wish him all the best.

I hope you're right about Brown even if he is a smashing player, we need a left back, full stop.

Class, just back from my summer holidays so not up to speed on who's gone where, bit like the Daily Mail. :D

Celtic have been in contact with Steven Fletchers Agent with a possible move to join Celtic with Riordan & cash going the other way. Nothing solid yet though. But i can confirm this is true so far as in Celtic are speaking to Steven's agent.

so who do we want?

Manchester United (ENG)

Chelsea (ENG)

Barcelona (ESP)

Arsenal (ENG)

Lyon (FRA)

Internazionale (ITA)

Real Madrid (ESP)

Liverpool (ENG)

Bayern Munich (GER)

PSV Eindhoven (NED)

Villarreal (ESP)

Roma (ITA)

Porto (POR)

Werder Bremen (GER)

Sporting CP (POR)

Juventus (ITA)

Marseille (FRA)

Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS)

Steaua (ROM)

Panathinaikos (GRE)

Bordeaux (FRA)

Celtic (SCO)

Basel (SWI)

Fenerbahçe (TUR)

Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)

Fiorentina (ITA)

Atlético Madrid (ESP)

Dynamo Kyiv (UKR)

CFR Cluj (ROM)

Aalborg BK (DEN)

Anorthosis Famagusta (CYP)

BATE (BLR)

Ideally, I'd like Lyon, Porto & one of BATE/Famagusta. However, we'll end up with Chelsea, Munich & Aalborg.

Dont really care who from the top pot, but porto is a must, for football and holidaying reasons \o/ In fact, Id absolutely love Inter Milan or Madrid.

Some right showers of ***** in the 4th pot but we'll never get one of them, and if we do, it will be because a referee from the SFA made it happen.

Just saw the highlights form Saturdays game. I was against bringing Maloney back but im now totally glad we did. What a difference it makes to have players up front who can actually run. There just looked like so much extra space for everyone else as the defenders were dragged around a lot more by him. I think Naka and McGeady will profit greatly with him being there

He must play on Sunday, although i expect him to be replaced by McDonald if hes fit. Even though McDonalds been worse than a man short recently

Hopefully this draw doesn't turn out the one a few years back when we got Barca and Milan were we are basically playing for 3 spot from the start. The bottom pot looks weaker than usual but the 2nd pot looks really strong, Sporting, PSV and possibly Porto and Bremen are the only teams i could see us having a chance of finishing ahead of

Archived