The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crap game.

Brown the only decent performer. McManus still awful, every St Mirren opportunity stemmed from him. If McDonalds not scoring then theres no point playing him, just loses possession constantly by trying to dribble past a crowd of players, if its not that then its hitting shots that hes never going to score from.

I feel sorry for Robson, that the manger cant see that he cant play on the right

Never a penalty in a billion years. If anything it was VofH fouling Haining. Tbf he didn't dive, so just inept refereeing. Guess that evens up for the SHOCKING decision against Caddis in that massive Man City game! *safety wink*

considering how we had a stonewaller knocked back 5 minutes before, I think we'll call it justice done.

Not very convincing. Brown had maybe his best performance so far in his Celtic career, but apart from that it wasn't great.

Robson was rubbish out on the right wing, barely had one good touch all afternoon. Hesselink should've just shook off Haining and scored, instead he falls and ruins my first scorer prediction :(

crosas checks in to paradise

David Friel

BARCELONA midfielder Marc Crosas was unveiled as Celtic’s third signing of the summer before Sunday’s 1-0 win over St Mirren.

The highly-rated 20-year-old completed his transfer to the Scottish champions over the weekend and was paraded in front of a packed Celtic Park before kick-off today. He joins fellow new Bhoys Georgios Samaras and Paddy McCourt in the Celtic squad.

A product of the Barca youth system, Crosas spent part of last season on loan at Lyon in France. He will wear the No.17 shirt for Celtic and could make his debut in next weekend’s match against Dundee United at Tannadice.

\o/

urgh, that was painful watching today.

Brown was excellent. Showing for the ball, passing much more controlled and getting beyond the defence to support attack. Keep it up please.

The rest of the team were gash. McDonald was just greedy. Aiden never beat his man all day and Robson was a yard off the pace. McManus was woeful too, Caldwell looking like Cannavaro in comparison :eek:. It was a shame that Caddis was strripped and ready right before the goal but got sat down as soon as the pen went in. He should have been on much earlier.

Never mind, a better start than last years opening game and i'm sure it'll pick up. Nice to see Crosas getting paraded before the game and apparently the SSM was on the radio saying a couple more will be in and out before the window shuts.

Also, I see the vendors have been quick off the mark and had their new range of merchandise on show :D Roll on Tannadice next week.

2 points better off than we were last season. should of played caddis instead of robson, we should of had a penalty before the actual penalty!

why the hell was hesselink booked in the last min, HE was the one who was tackled. it could come back to bite us in the bottom.

McManus was at fault when Mehmet hit the post and then again when St Mirren had that shot from an angle that went just wide. The guy plays poorly on a regular but is completely immune from any sort of criticism in the media, Caldwell got pelters last year and hes definitely been no worse. He seems a very likeable guy buts hes just not good enough unfortunately

Thought we could nick/borrow/plagiarise something from the Villa thread. If there is anything else we should add, go ahead and if anyone can make the code work, please do!

Celtic Statistics 08/09			

Appearances:   start  replaced  used sub
Artur Boruc        1		
Andreas Hinkel     1		
Lee Naylor         1      1	
Gary Caldwell      1		
Stephen McManus    1		
Barry Robson       1      1	
Aiden McGeady      1		
Paul Hartley	    1		
Scott Brown    	    1		
JVOH		    1		
Scott MacDonald	    1      1	
Paul Caddis			  1
Giorgios Samaras		  1
Mark Wilson			  1

Goals:            Pen   FK
Barry Robson	    1	 1	

Assists:			

Penalties:	  Scored Missed
Barry Robson	    1	    1	

Penalties Won:   Scored Missed	
JVOH 		    1	    1	

At fault for goal:			

Failed to score: 			

Clean sheets:		1	St.Mirren	

Yellow Cards:	      Deserved	Undeserved
JVOH	  		1	    1

Red cards:			

Controversial decisions for:		1	pen v St.Mirren (0-0)	

Controversial decisions against:	1	pen v St.Mirren (0-0)	

HT/FT result:			

W/W: 		
W/D:		
W/L:		
D/W: 	1	St.Mirren
D/D: 		
D/L:		
L/W: 		
L/D:		
L/L:		

Highest League Position:	3rd	

Lowest League Position:        3rd	

Current League Position:	3rd	

Form in Last 5 Games(most recent last):	W		

Highest Attendence: 	57,441 (v St.Mirren)		

Lowest Attendence:	57,441 (v St.Mirren)		

Total Attendance: 	57441		

Average Attendence and Capacity Fulfillment 	60857	57441	94.39

Don't think McManus is as poor as we seem to think at times,I know Artur had to make an important save but he must do something right for us to conceded as few goals as we do. Perhaps he does jump in at times and he can be drawn to the ball too often but he's still a pretty decent centre half and seems to be a natural leader however I do think we could find someone better.

Caldwell is the best centre half in Scotland I believe, despite all the nonsense about Cuellar who if he was so good would have been in a team that conceded fewer goals especially when he often had another 4 or 5 centre backs around him. He isn't perfect but he is a pretty decent player and could be even better with a physically dominating centre half beside him.

Brown was excellent today, even his forst touch.

Caldwell is the best centre half in Scotland I believe, despite all the nonsense about Cuellar who if he was so good would have been in a team that conceded fewer goals especially when he often had another 4 or 5 centre backs around him.

What red wine were you drinking last night Frank? :D

Caldwell certainly isn't as bad as many people - mostly Celtic fans in fact - make out. He's decent in possession and does quite well in the air. However, to suggest he's better than Cuellar and/or that positives stuff written about the Spaniard was nonsense isn't accurate in my view.

Sure our defensive record ended up slightly worse that Celtic's but it would have been a lot worse if not for Cuellar who was certainly the best defender in Scotland last year. Not to mention one of the best in the European competitions.

In addition I'd contend it was because of the fact he often had other centre-halves playing out of position alongside of him that he was so good as he was having to constantly make up for their positioning errors as opposed to being protected by them. Furthermore, whenever Cuellar didn't play (this season or last) we quickly saw how important he was for us. That's why the Rangers support are livid with any suggestion that he may be sold on.

It will be interesting to see whether or not he can improve on last season's excellent contribution - or even match it to be honest - but every bit of praise that went the lad's way was deserved.

Cuellar is certainly not invincible, if Rangers had a more attacking formation he would get tested more, and would look more vulnerable with the lesser protection, no doubt about it. In fact, there was times when he got beaten by apparent inferior players(Lee Miller anyone?)

Best defender in the league though, even if he isnt the best passer or best looking.

Cheers mate! Add to it and expand to your hearts content! So many things we could count, dodgy offsides, handballs the media don't know the rules about, Scot McDonald falling over, Lee Naylor hitting right wingers with clearances, promises not to sell players and then let them go, oops that's not us.

And I did say Caldwell was the best centre half in Scotland, no doubt now. ;)

Maloney has been desperate to come back for the last year but MON is playing hardball. AFAIK, he's been told he can come back if MON gets the players he's after, one of which looks like milner.

good news about Loovens, but i'm still praying for a LB.

Cant see the fee being as high as quoted with the player only being one season away from his contract expiring. Not very excited about the signing really, we obviously needed a centre half but was hoping for an international quality player who would step into the team immediately and improve the side immensly.

Still welcome aboard and I hope he does great :thup:

Loovens fee confirmed by Lawwell as £2m.

I've seen people describing this as being an underwhelming signing, well we should think back to Lubo, Henrik and Mjallby, none of whom set the heather on fire when they were signing and yet were possibly three of the best value for money signings we have ever had.

We also had Gravesen, Rafael and many others who were hyped beyond belief and bombed. Only time will tell.

Archived