The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CELTIC have been given permission to approach Albion manager Tony Mowbray after the clubs agreed in principle to a £2million compensation package.

The package was announced today by Albion chairman Jeremy Peace following talks with Celtic and Mowbray.

Celtic would also pay an additional compensation figure for the services of Albion assistant manager Mark Venus and first-team coach Peter Grant.

From West Brom Official Site

Pfft. Can't believe we're appointing a manager of a club which finished bottom of the league - assuming it all goes through without any hiccups.

Is that how far we've sunk? Can't we show a bit more ambition? Better than McGhee and Levein obviously but seriously, there must have been someone better somewhere. Gah.

Premier League is a tough league, as is the Championship which he won. Also, fans will be happy he is 'Celtic minded' ;) and his teams seem to play good football and hammer Rangers.

I am happy with the soon-to-be appointment.

Premier League is a tough league, as is the Championship which he won. Also, fans will be happy he is 'Celtic minded' ;) and his teams seem to play good football and hammer Rangers.

I am happy with the soon-to-be appointment.

This 'Celtic-minded' stuff is nonsense. Every Celtic fan I know and those I sit beside couldn't care less if he was 'Celtic-minded' - it's about the success he can deliver.

The bit about his teams playing good football is about the only thing I hear in his favour but the best football I can recall seeing at Celtic Park was under Tommy Burns and there was still the annual heartbreak when the silverware was being dished out.

Yes, we need an improvement in the standard of football we have been playing for the past couple of years but surely we can attract a manager with a better pedigree who can deliver that AND silverware. I'm really unconvinced that Mowbray is capable of that.

I also think the 'celtic-minded' thing is nonsense, hence the smiley but if we get a manager who doesn't play good football but wins trophies we'll just have another Gordon Strachan whereas if we play good football and get rid of McManus, then we have a solid foundation to build upon.

I think Mowbray will do alright, bit concerned that he seems to have a blind spot with regards to defence but that's all.

Looks like Naka might be going to Spain rather than Japan, as Yokohama can't afford him now that Nissan are skint. I'd try to get him to stay another year to see him in a different system, but I'd imagine if he got a half-decent offer in Spain he'd go there.

From a netral standpoint I don't think there was a candidate who ticked more boxes realistically, taking everything into account about the club, club knowledge, Scottish football, finacial aspects and potential aspects without even thinking about the footballing side thus far.

I think Mowbray will be a good appointment at Celtic certainly capable of forming a team to win the SPL and Cups but the jury will be out on the European front and how he handles that side. Also his transfers are't as bad as people made out considering they had a net spend of £3m for their season in the Premeirship which is nigh on impossible to do with that sort of budget tbh.

No better man for the job unless you were willing to take a bigger gamble, Mowbray being best bet and most reliable canddate me thinks.

Hopefully he'll get a reasonable budget as no manager could win the league with our current squad, especially considering that with Nakamura, Hartley and JVoH almost certainly gone we're looking rather thin everywhere. Obviously his defence at West Brom last season wasn't the best but he signed some great footballers for them with a bit of money, Koren, Valero etc., so I'm confident enough he can build his own decent enough team. I hope McGeady stays and is encouraged more to use the ball at his feet rather than continue as the slow, ineffectual driving winger that Strachan turned him into.

With the players we've been linked to since Mowbray's almost-appointment, our team could look like:

Boruc/Zaluska

Hinkel

Caldwell

McManus/a new centreback please

Robinson?/Castillo?

McGeady

Brown

Crosas/Valero?

Maloney/Robson/a new winger please

McDonald

Fortune?

Not that convincing, seriously hope Robinson isn't successful in talking up his chances of following Mowbray.

I've got hopes for Mizuno, if only he can get a bit stronger without losing speed/technique... Read in a paper the other week that the back-room staff consider him to be the most technically gifted player at Parkhead :thup:

I think Mizuno will still be in the same position under Mowbray; I'm not convinced he's good enough yet but we need him to stick around to try and hold the commercial ground we gained in Japan with Nakamura.

Appointment is now official.

CELTIC Football Club is delighted today to confirm that Tony Mowbray has been appointed the new Celtic manager. Tony will be joined at Celtic by Mark Venus, Peter Grant and Neil Lennon in the new Celtic management team.

This is fantastic news for the club and we look forward to officially unveiling Tony as the new Celtic manager at a news conference at Celtic Park tomorrow (Wednesday, June 17) at 10am.

He'll be fine in the SPL i'm sure, if you can win the Championship with West Brom then you can certainly win the league with Celtic. I dont think theres a whole load of work needed to get back to the top again. Europe will be the test though

I wouldn't actually mind signing both Fletcher and Rob Jones. Would prefer O'Dea playing to Jones ofc, but he wouldn't be too expensive and isn't that bad a player really.

I still rate Fletcher, obviously depends how much of an outlay it would take to sign him though.

glad it's all over and looking forward to the brand of football that TM will bring to the club next season. I think we are more than capable of winning the league, but only time will tell on that.

Looking forward to next season now despite having given up my season book.

Archived