The Celtic FC 2008/09 Thread - League titles, biscuit tins, terrible football and absolutely no riots.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really good high tempo match at Southampton, lots of tough tackle flying in too, but Celtic look very fit and pacey! Currently 2 up, 70mins. Chris Killen and a Barry Robson penalty after Samaras had a great run ended by being halved in two!! Southampton goalkeeper Davis has been unbelievably good.

Have we had a bid accepted for Tamas or what ffs.

The papers tell us one minute a fee is agreed, then the next it isnt.

Celtic are talking to him though, so I bet we've asked to speak to the lad and define his terms before making an offer, as the more wages he demands, the less we'll probably want to pay up front.

Him and his agent is saying all the right things though, I've got the feeling its being drawn out a little too much, which is dangerous.

Aye he has a few agents for some reason, and he isnt exactly the easiest fella to work with going by his track record.

He does want to come though, I think everyone gets that, but it all seems horribly complicated.

The papers claim he wants 20k a week, 3.5 million fee.

That's a lot of money for Celtic or Rangers to splash out on one player, but I think we genuinely need a better CB for the Champions League so it should be considrered an exceptional circumstance and the demands should be met. Yes, I know we are watching our figures now and have been burned by the Gravesen transfer most recently, but come on ffs.

In saying that, it may just be paper talk, he may want 30k a week or so.

how seriously are you taking tonight's match? your season must start pretty soon I imagine?

only our 2nd game, think we are playing different sides in each half like we did at York on Friday

McCourt not there, small injury but left behind for treatment.

Can't see us going hell for leather in this one, indeed we may even try out something different for use in European matches, maybe 451 but without the 6 centre half's that another club plays!

that was pretty crap but at least we didnt lose

the goal we lost was terrible, 1st by O'Dea and then Brown just smashing th ball off Aliadiere, where did he thing the ball was going to go?

McDonald and Samaras were both garbage, poor touch and control, always losing possesion and hardly linking up at all. Big Jan done more then both of them put together in only a couple of minutes

I really cant understand why we are still sticking Robson out on the right, why not more him left and Aiden right?

Brown never had a great game but he looks to have a bit more confidence

Oh and Bobo causing havoc in the Boro box towards the end :D

i wouldnt say we were lucky, both teams created very little, Samaras had probably the 2 best chances of the 1st half. both goals were poor goals to lose, particularly yours when our keeper just blasted the ball off Aliadiere and it went in without him knowing much about it :D.

Draw was the fair result imo

Your 2 new signings looked decent btw

yeah, heard Digard/Emnes played well. I read a few reports from boro fans and they said we 'bossed the game' though I appreciate that may have a touch of bias :D

'the lively' McGeady impressed for you lot apparently.

• SI Staff
yeah, heard Digard/Emnes played well. I read a few reports from boro fans and they said we 'bossed the game' though I appreciate that may have a touch of bias :D

In that rubbish BBC Rumours thing they've said Newcastle have offered £5M + N'Zogbia for McGeady

Boro never dominated, we held a lot of possesion and played like a typical no nonsense european team before bringing on the circus acts for the second half and causing carnage.

Boro however seemed to be much more direct and prominent hen in possesion, final product desperately lacking in most cases though.

Handy squad you have, and I do realise you had a few top teamers out as well.

We, however, looked so static and on the whole one dimensional it was annoying, I can only hope the dynamic side is more evident once we play a few more games.

We basically knock it about the back until forced to play the pass, which is usually a lob behind a full back for macdonald to chase or a pass into mcgeadys feet and by that time the defender is rigbht on him.

Of course, its only a friendly ;)

Boro never dominated, we held a lot of possesion and played like a typical no nonsense european team before bringing on the circus acts for the second half and causing carnage.

Boro however seemed to be much more direct and prominent hen in possesion, final product desperately lacking in most cases though.

Handy squad you have, and I do realise you had a few top teamers out as well.

We, however, looked so static and on the whole one dimensional it was annoying, I can only hope the dynamic side is more evident once we play a few more games.

We basically knock it about the back until forced to play the pass, which is usually a lob behind a full back for macdonald to chase or a pass into mcgeadys feet and by that time the defender is rigbht on him.

Of course, its only a friendly ;)

ha, lacking a final product, story of our season last year. we only had mido missing tbf, though we did play a different team in each half

Not entirely sure what was the worst thing on show last night.

Our performance, the officials performance, or, having just noticed it, Mark Brown's Star Trek goalkeeping jersey!!!

I know there was experimentation, especially in the midfield with Brown left and Robson right, which I suspect is intended to keep games tight away from home in Europe, but I'm not too sure it worked!

Proper football match tonight, Porto still as unscrupulous as ever, even in a friendly, but a modicum of self satisfaction in beating them 1 - 0 with as good a team goal as you will see from JVOH.

Robson, Brown, and the trio of McManus, Caldwell and THG playing superbly well.

I just remembered the game was live on telly here :(

Think we've learned that friendlies mean nothing to this manager or team any more, fantastic to beat them though.

I think the way this game went, some of the tackles that were on show, and particularly Scott Brown's performance after being elbowed, showed that this one meant a bit! :D

Archived