Another "team from scratch" challenge

right then. Started again after a porr first attempt at putting a squad together. fell i have done much better this time.

transfers:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/barkers01/transfers1.jpg

couldnt belive i was able to get onahu and ashotn so cheap. west ham had signed vagner love so perhaps they though they didnt need him anymore?

1st team:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g151/barkers01/1stteam.jpg

looking forward to the start of the season, the only thin is my forst 3 games are man utd, arsenal and liverpool :-(

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omg the champs league is impossible i have Benfica Milan and CSKA Moscow just got smashed by Benefica but i had a very weak back four out as Habbib Bellaid got injured and will be out for 2 months and Nedum Onuoha is out for 3 weeks icon_frown.gif

Personally I think you should sign the very best player you can possibly buy with the restrictions for that position and unless you restart games that you lose, use the editor to gain some sort of advantage or outright cheat this will make a big difference. In my formation my middle AMC is probably the most important player on the pitch, so I put 10m aside and decided to buy the best over 27 player for that position (because unless some freak or cheat happens the 27 is obviously better than sub 22). If he lasts 3 seasons and costs between 5-10m and is your best player then he is a good investment especially since you'll have 100m in your first season and 90m total in the following three seasons. Younger AMC's do tend to be fairly good but these guys are gods, I've had them both and they are top notch players.

So far my AMC is probably responsible single handedly for winning quite a few of the games and so is my TS so it makes sense to buy the best players you can for them positions and train the younger players to take their place or buy a replacement when they're past it. If you have the cash aside I'd buy Riquelme but if you end up a bit short then going with Alex isn't a bad option at all.

i just found a player with 196 pa playing cruz azul in mexico. i have no idea if anyones heard of him but his names martin galvan shame i have to wait until 2010 to actually get him though

another thing does anyone know how to get around a player in your squad not having a work permit because i want to use abdou razack traore not send him on loan for 3 bloody years!!

wow... really lucky with gyan ..who wont go for any less then 15 mil on my games... and also ambrosini who wont go at all... ever..

and has a sale value of 100mil on mine... which means he wont come... icon_rolleyes.gif

id really like to have one of your games mate.. u always get lucky

Originally posted by welshace:

wow... really lucky with gyan ..who wont go for any less then 15 mil on my games... and also ambrosini who wont go at all... ever..

and has a sale value of 100mil on mine... which means he wont come... icon_rolleyes.gif

id really like to have one of your games mate.. u always get lucky

yeah but i get the most cheating ai ever lol. And i cant seem to get anyone who is english to my team for less than 10m anyway apart from like ryan taylor who cant attack or defend. With ambrosini i must have been very lucky lol.

Get michael owen or peter crouch or wayne rooney well maybe not rooney he'll probably be more than 34m. Try declaring your interest and making public bids etc if you cant unsettle. Owen should be available for about 15m and he scores every 1 on 1.

what are the rules of playing english players if you only have 6 and 2 of them are injured??

They dont need to be in your match-day squad (atleast in season 1) so there's no problem as far as I can see. They just need to be part of your full first-team squad of 16 or more players. If a couple of them are injured, bring some of the others in. Maybe some of your youth if you dont have any more players in your first-team squad.

The idea behind that rule is to ensure that you have some home-grown talent at the club as well. Some people might just put some rubbish English players who they got for cheap and claim that they're part of the squad but then thats just trying to fool yourselves really.

Hmmm, looks like the wheels might be coming off my challenge at the moment. Just lost to Arsenal in the FA Cup semi-finals. Was leading 1-0 at HT but then Van Persie came out firing and got both their goals to 2 screamers. 1 of them was offside though. When I complained post-match, I got the "FA silent over criticism" bit. BAH! The funny thing is that I had at HT, I had 6 shots on goal and Arsenal had only 1. End of the match, I have 7 shots on goal in total (thats only ONE more in the second half) while Arsenal have 15! FGS! Talk about the AI cheating.

Anyway, that's not all. Before that game, I had just beaten Lyon 2-1 away in the CL quarter finals. Looks good I guess but now I have Fazio and Miranda both suspended for the next leg (they are my first choice CB pairing!) and also Zapater suspended as well. To make matters worse, Giles Barnes is injured for that match and ofcourse, Apam was already out for the season dud to injury! BAH! Highly doubt I can contain them.

And Arsenal are still on top in the Premier League by 1 point! But my team has hit injuries/suspensions/bad form at a very wrong time. icon_frown.gif

Not having a bad start so far. Lost a couple of games, including one 3 - 0 though. Won the CL group with a game to go and I have the easiest game to come, at home against Besiktas so I'll be able to try some young talent out. Had a few injuries such as Alex Silva, Farfan, Nolan and Zapata but fortunately they're in areas where I have backup. McCann and Digard play well together without Zapata and Riquelme alongside the young lads Defour and Barnes work well. I'm surprised Defour scored with his low finishing and long shots (8 a piece). Foster is about 3 months away from returning so I'm guessing he might make the last half a douzen games. Diogo is still on one goal although I'm hardly playing the lad now. Chretien is a lazy diver which is annoying and the fans were getting on my back saying I should drop him but they forget all about that when he comes forward in a cup game and scores a crucial goal. I can't seem to keep a clean sheet away in Europe though.

Just got back from watching the game. Great performance from Spain. Very disappointed with Arshavin and Pavlyuchenko though. Russia can be proud of their tournament though on the whole.

Anyway, played my CL second leg against Lyon and I'm so chuffed! Thrashed the buggers 5-0!! And that too with half my first team out fgs! Extremely proud of my defence. They kept Lyon to only one shot on goal in the whole game!! icon_biggrin.gif

Dang Zell and Hulk your both doing great. But yeah away games are tough and hard not to concede. Nice result against Lyon Hulk, gluck vs Barca though :x

The transfer window has closed in my new save.

Here's my transfers

First Team

Beat Besiktas 7-0 in qualifiers.

Group : Inter, Lyon, Celtic, London Utd.

Won 1, Drew 2, Lost 1 in the league so far. Mainly because of matches like THIS.

Total amount spent on transfers, future transfers and staff is around 99M. Spending 284K p/w on wages. Will post a screeny if needed.

Pleased with buying Crouch for what I paid icon_biggrin.gif Been great for me so far icon_smile.gif Mighta even been able to get him for cheaper since I got him unsettled, but transfer window was closing.

teeyougee

Thanx mate. Yeah, I was actually surprised that I beat them so easily tbh. But I was looking at reports earlier and looks like Coupet made two howlers (although it's not obvious when you look at it). icon_biggrin.gif

Team looks good now mate. Good players everywhere. Great price for Crouchy as well. He'll get you plenty of goals. A bit too good a TM on the game. Very solid going foward. Not so much at the back I guess. But I'm pretty sure you're going with the "you score 2, we'll score 3" philosophy and you've definitely got the players for that. icon14.gif

Riddle me this though batman - how on earth did you get Samaras?? Isnt he on loan at Celtic in season 1?? icon_confused.gif

On the tutoring point I have Kinkladze and Fowler both as tutors without playing a game.

Lost league cup to Newcastle usual AI one shot goal and then shoot out win.

Past Milan on away goals 4-3 win away. Arsenal now in FA Cup and still 4th.

Juggling subs as Barnes is injured.

Diogo 10 MOMs, and never bought Marcelo before but defending well.

I really want a low division English club for a feeder but I keep getting ones from inactive leagues :/. I don't know why I just like to send a bunch of players to a struggling active club and watch the impact that the players make and give them first team football. All the lads are just coming back from their three month loans now.

Hulk

Great win mate, Amauri sounds like hes really carrying your team.

Im thinking about giving this a go when im not playing my Arsenal save. What page has the best and most up to date set of rules? Or have you updated the first post?

No mate, not updated the first post. Contacted dafuge and he said he'll edit it for me. Just have to send him the updated version.

Check the first page itself for all the rules. But not in the opening post. Look for them a little further down. That should keep you going till atleast Jan. I've posted further rules for season 2 and beyond on page 3 (I think) but by the time that gets relevant in your game, the opening post would have been updated properly so you can just look it all up there. icon_smile.gif

Ok, finally managed to finish the first season. By the time I finish typing this, I'll probably be late for work but what the hell!! icon_biggrin.gif

Season stats:

Played: 64

Goals: 200

Conceded: 31

Yellows: 98 icon_eek.gif

Reds: 0

Premier League

I finally finished 2nd - 1 point behind winners Arsenal. At one stage, I was about 8-9 points ahead of them but then a bad trip to Manchester (played both of them in the space of 3 days) and a few other poor results saw the lead slip away and become a defecit of 1 with about 7 games to go. Unfortunately Arsenal didnt drop any points from there on in (neither did I) and hence I couldnt catch up. Went down to the final day though. I was beating Everton 2-0 and Arsenal were drawing Pompey 1-1 with like 11 mins to go or something before Mutu scored for them icon_frown.gif! Still a great season for me though.

Champions League

WINNER!! I'm so darned excited about this win because it was very unexpected and I beat a lot of giants on the way to the trophy. Started off with Valencia is the qualifiers fgs! That was hard enough. Then I got Madrid, Roma and Besiktas in the group stages which further annoyed me! Luckily I got through on top of the group somehow (Madrid lost out) and faced my only easy opponents in the tournament in Stuttgart. Beat them easy enough and it was on to the Quarter Finals and Lyon. Wasnt easy but did go past them as well. That led me to good 'ol Barcelona. I still have no idea how I managed to clear this hurdle but I actually thrashed them. 2-0 away and 4-0 at home! All down to king Amauri! He got 5 of the 6 goals I scored against them. In the finals I was up against another giant in AC Milan! Beat the oldies black and blue though. Ran out 3-0 winners against them with Rocchi getting me a hat-trick! Not unexpected though seeing as Milan dont have the legs and they only managed 6th place in the league as well. I was greatly helped my "wonderkid" Pato missing about 5-6 sitters!! icon_biggrin.gif

FA Cup

Nothing much to report here. Got easy teams mostly until I reached the Semi Finals where I got thrashed by Arsenal 3-1. And the score looked respectable because Hart got an 8!

Carling Cup

WINNER again! But here again, I got easy teams until the final where I beat Man Utd 3-2 after extra time. Played the second choice players all the way through except in the final where I was up against as in-form Man Utd team so thought it unwise to play the second-string side. Have to admit though - for some reason, they thought it'd make sense to play THEIR second-string and left out Ronaldo, Rooney, Ferdinand and Evra from what I remember. Oh well, their loss! icon_smile.gif

Here's a screenie of how my players did through the season:

SquadStats.jpg

As you can see, my team wasnt shy of scoring. Rocchi and Amauri pretty much carried me through the season. The biggest reasons why I did well in all competitions. Dont be misled by Miranda though. He was quite poor for large parts of the season at the back. Dropped quite a few many points because of him. Wouldnt recommend him to anyone. The reason he has so many goals is because he was my penalty taker. Out of those 15 goals, atleast 11 were penalties and I remember him scoring 2 from open play as well. Only 1 goal from a corner and that too I'm not sure about. Fazio got all bar one from corners though. I shamelessly tried to exploit the bug but it never seems to work well for me. All the others had solid seasons for me. Happy with the effort of most of them. I could only give Ben Foster around 3-5 games in the season sadly because I was at a crucial phase when he came back and Hart was doing great.

For next season, I need to tighten my defence. Miranda will definitely be offloaded as he just annoys the hell out of me. If I can find a 27 or over player who I can get cheap, I'll get one. Else, I'll either be trying for Vidal, Richards or Taylor I think. My RB spot really needs to be changed. Simpson has a good AR but he had some clangers there for me. I think I'll be sending him out on loan for 1 season to develop a little more before I play him. Very poor atm. Apam was solid enough even if unspectacular. He'll stay as long as I dont get a big bid for him. Eduardo did very well at LB for me but I need some good cover for him. It'll 99% be someone English as well. Hill, Taylor, Bridge and Lescott are all in my sights atm.

For DM, I'll be trying to get Cattermole if I can for a decent price. If he comes in, Bolzoni will leave on loan for a season. He's looking decent but needs a season or regular football. Will be looking to offload either Jones or Defour as well as I cant accomodate both of them in the side. Whoever fetches me a better price.

Prudnikov will be stepping up to the first-team squad for sure next season. Toni Kroos might as well depending on what happens with Defour and Jones.

I've got a few other ideas about my team but will have to think them out first and see if they are within my rules.

Any comments always welcome. icon_smile.gif

I'm using 2 tactics at the moment (both my own). One a flat 4-4-2 where one MC is a little defensive (Zapater) and a 4-1-4-1 where I play one DM, and two CM's with the wingers going up to support the striker. This tactic is used against bigger/harder teams but havent really utilised it much as Amauri and Rocchi are both undroppable.

The reason behind the goals are two strikers themselves mate. They are both incredible. I cant stress how important it is in a challenge like this to have a couple of good strikers. As you can see, the pair have 100+ goals between them and NONE of them are from free-kicks or penalties!

thats great. my main arnt really blowing teams away.

Ashton has got 8 in 14 starts (9 subs) and amauri has got 8 in 19 starts (3 subs).

think my team just need to gel. 2 players have now lost confidence in my abillity lol. im on a 4 match winning streak at the mo. Have had some good results in beating barcelona 2-1 in the cl and chelsea 2-0 in the league but then i lose to reading,.

Currently 6th in the prem 10 points off top with 16 games played. joint top in the cl group with 1 game against werder bremen to play. a point would put me through so fingers crossed.

Hulk

Great season mate, gutted about losing out on the EPL title though. Deffinately not seeing the rotation that you usually use with Arsenal, but its pretty obvious why. I take it you first choice wingers are Barnes and Marcelo?

Barkers my defenders are mny top scorers 4 for taylor and 4 for richards. At least gyan Asamoah has just eneded 10 hour drought with an overhead kick! icon_biggrin.gif

Hulk at least you won the champions league and 2nd aint bad is it if your only meant to be challenging the title.

Archived