Another "team from scratch" challenge

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"1. I decided to scrap the rule whereby you are forced to buy your loanee player next season if you play him a lot in season 1. It can easily be misused so best to let it rest. And you ARE not allowed to loan in Bojan if desired but again, only as a backup.

"

no

I'll post in more detail tomorrow but I'll just give a quick run over of some of the players I've bought and how the time might look. I've missed a few signings unfortunately and it's late so I'll go over it tomorrow. These players are listed in position of "Best case scenario", so if a left winger was out then I might use a winger in that position who can play on the left but is right footed.

(E) = Englsh

(S) = Scottish

GK: Stuart Taylor(E) / Ian Walker(E) & Foster(E)

DL: Taiwo / Vermaelen(also CB)

DC: Alex Silva, Felipe, Miranda,

DR: Mickael Chretien / Marvin Elliot(E)

DM/MC: Zapater, Digard, Gavin McCann(E), Kevin Nolan(E)

AM/MC: Riquelme, Defour, Skejbred, Piatti, Mihelic, Wijnadlum, David Jones(E)

AML: Marcelo/ Barry Robson(S) / Andele Pryor / Lior Rafaelov

AMR Farfan / Kaloud / Kaebi / Marvin Angulo / Giles Barnes(E)

FC: Amauri / Diogo / Saivet/ Stancu / Agouda

Ok, this is the first chance I've got to post since yesterday because the forum has been down.

I reached the end of the transfer window a while back. I posted all my transfers on Page 2. I've made a couple more signings though. I wont post the youngsters again, but:

First Team Squad

GK - Joe Hart (7M) and Ben Foster

LB - Eduardo (1.1M) and Onyekachi Apam

RB - Onyekachi Apam (6.75M) and Danny Simpson (5M)

CB - Miranda (4M) and Habib Bellaid (4.7M)

CB - Federico Fazio (3M)

DM - Alberto Zapater (7M) and Francesco Bolzoni (2M)

CM - Michael Johnson (16M) , Toni Kroos (4.3M) , Steven Defour (3.4M) and David Jones (free)

LM - Marcelo (5.5M) and Abdou Razack Traore (950K)

RM - Giles Barnes and Lubos Kalouda (350K)

ST - Amauri (6.75M) and Tommaso Rocchi (5M)

The only person I've added is Onyekachi Apam. He can cover all across the back and I was desperate for a little more stability. Done well so far.

Also, I've signed Sergej Barbarez for 525K as a tutor. He's got great mental stats so thought it'll be worth it. Could be handy coming off the bench too. Already got 1 hat-trick coming off the bench in the second half! icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I'm off to a great start imo:

Premier League

Top of the league after 5 games with 4 wins and 1 draw. Victories have come against Liverpool (away, 1-0), Wigan (away, 3-0), Bolton (home, 3-0) and Tottenham (home, 5-0). The draw was away to Arsenal 0-0. Should have won that game as well. They have Van Persie sent off after about 50 mins and I went on the attack. But the bloody GK (Almunia) got the MoM. Amauri was injured for that game though so I still thought it was a great result. So I've already played Liverpool and Arsenal away. And I've also got Man Utd and Chelsea away both before the end of October!!

Champions League

Got to be the unluckiest guy playing this game in terms of CL opposition! I drew flamin Valencia in the qualifiying round fgs! But managed to beat them 2-0 away and then thrashed them 5:0 at home. Helps when their managed is stupid enough to play Joaquin as a CM! Also helps when they have 2 players sent off!! icon_biggrin.gif

But the bad luck doesnt end there. Then came the turn to decide the groups. I drew Real Madrid, AS Roma and Besiktas icon_mad.gif! Chances of getting through look bleak in that group. Will be happy with 1 point from the 2 Madrid games. Roma signed bloody Van Der Vaart. Their attack looks extremely strong too. Am playing them at home first so that's good. If I can get a victory, I'll defend with all I've got when I go their stadium! Hoping to beat Besiktas both times but even thats not a certainity!

Ah well, lets see how I get on.

Btw, I've thought up a few things for season 2 rules and I'll post them after a while. They wont be the final ones though. When I do post them, I'd appreciate feedback on them from you lot to see what you think. Cheers.

Right then, transfers.

First team squad: <UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Stuart Taylor-£3m.

<LI>Federico Fazio-£3.2m.

<LI>Marvin Elliot-£1m.

<LI>Eduardo-£2m.

<LI>Ivan Ramis-£4.2m.

<LI>Sebastien Squillaci-£9.5m.

<LI>Ron Vlaar-£5.75m

<LI>Marcelo-£5.5m

<LI>Gilberto Silva-£9.75m.

<LI>Alberto Zapater-£7m.

<LI>David Jones-Free.

<LI>Tranquillo Barnetta-£5.25m.

<LI>Lubos Kalouda-£3.7m

<LI>Michael Kightly-£4m.

<LI>Yoann Gouffran-£5m.

<LI>Jefferson Farfan-£7.25m.

<LI>Steven Defour-£4m.

<LI>Per Cijan Skjelbred-£3.9m.

<LI>Fernando Llorente-£4.8m.

Youth/reserve team squad:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Henri Saivet-£450k.

<LI>Sotiris Ninis-£2.5m.

<LI>Mamadou Sakho-£400k.

<LI>Jordan Spence-£400k

<LI>Chris Pendleton-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Eugene Sankey-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Mitchell Murphy-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Jason Powell-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Dean Cross-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Stephen Opoka-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Damina Reeves-Free (to fill up numbers)

<LI>Alex Varney-Free (to fill up numbers)

Tutors:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Luigi Di Biagio-Free

<LI>Magnus Svensson-Free

A True Fan

Bit too much I think that. Try to get it down to a maximum of 10M. I got him for 7M flat. But that was because I got him unsettled.

Slugger_SpursFan

You're welcome mate. I take it that the save is working for you?

briz_lad

Good to hear mate. Read the rules a couple of times so you're fimilar with them by the time the laptop comes back. There are quite a few of them! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and btw, to make it easier, read the ones on Page 2. Its a little less cluttered and easier to read. icon14.gif

Yeah Hulk you got some good prices. You definitely got the best deals out of anyone here, them prices are really good. A lot of the clubs were trying to charge me extra because I was a big rich club. I wanted Crouch but Liverpool wouldn't part for less than around 30m since a potential rival in the league. Really good results you got there, pretty unbelievable tbh. You must have a really good tactic because although your team is good for the restrictions in all fairness your team doesn't really compare at the moment to the likes of Valencia since your players are so young. My players look really undeveloped at the moment icon_frown.gif. What tactic are you using because I've bought players for the same position so might have to use a different tactic if all goes wrong icon_wink.gif.

So far I'm not fancying my chances. I lost 1-0 to Sampdoria in the friendly but because I've just signed all my players and it was late last night I let my AM take that charge so hopefully he messed up. The start of the season looks awful, I haven't even watched my players yet. It goes:

Liverpool (Away)

Dinamo Kiev (Away)

Man City (Away)

Arsenal (away)

Dinamo Kiev (Home)

Tottenham (Away)

Man Utd (Away)

Fulham (Home) - God I have to win this

Chelsea (Away)

Really couldn't have asked for a worse start. I used the formation at Man City too (was level on points in third place, but had a better team) and it was good but not so much away so I might have problems. A bit worried I might lose to Dinamo Kiev in the qualifying stages tbh.

I tried to get Veron for MC even though he is 32 because he looks fantastic. I tried a cheeky 3m or so bid but couldn't agree with his club. I couldn't really justify, say 10m or so for a 32 year old but I guess if he played well it would have been worth it. I took a bit of a gamble and signed Riquelme. I remember on PES signing him and being disappointed, I couldn't play with him because he was so slow (although Kaebi was good but I don't think he is that good on FM). Although on FM07 he played very well for me so hopefully he will do the business along side Nolan. I signed Walker as backup for very little so I could bring Thiago Motta in on loan to help shore up the midfield. That price for Barbarez is awesome. I remember looking and they wanted over 2m which made me sad lol icon_frown.gif. I might look for a few tutors but I only have like 500k left I think. The team is looking something below. Although I might put Kalouda on the right, Farfan left, possibly Marcelo in place of Taiwo...will just have to see. I haven't really thought about that yet since I missed a few signings. Amauri looks good and Diogo will give it a slightly different complexion if he comes on. It'll be nice to effectively switch between Nolan, Zapater, McCann, Motta, Digard, Riquelme and Jones around the midfield, depending on who we play. I could do with some backup wingers though. Elliot looks good backup for right fullback and Vermaelen, Marcelo or Taiwo can hold down left fullback. Although they are wing back positions they mainly defend so need better defensive stats really. I wanted Wes Brown instead of one of the foreign defenders but United wouldn't sell to me. Wanted Downing too but ran out of cash. Overall content with the team and lots of possibilities although no amazing quality really. Gonna be relying on a set few players to get through the season.

tacticstw6.jpg

Zellix

Mate, thats a bloody good looking squad you have. How the hell did you manage to sign Taye Taiwo though????

As far as my results are concerned, I dont think its just about the tactic I use mate. I use the same tactic with Arsenal and I destroy teams with it. I posted the tactic on the Arsenal thread and a few people tried it but not with a lot of success. The reason I do well is because whenever I play a game, I watch FULL matches and not just the key areas. That is, unless I've got the match in the bag in which case, I try to cut it short. But the advantage watching the whole thing gives me is that I can see where my team is struggling and more importantly, where the opposition team is struggling. And then I keep adjusting my tactics accordingly. I do a LOT of tinkering in between the game when I play and thats part of the reason why I'm doing well.

Also, I find that going for fancy formations is usually going to do you more harm than good. Take yours for eg. I'm not saying its a wrong tactic or a bad tactic or anything. But its just too fancy for me. The only fancy tactic I like is Kimz's but its just too easy with that.

I dont have my players try to exceed their limitations and do things they cant do. My defenders defend and my attackers attack. Its that simple.

I'll elaborate for you later. I'm off to watch the match just now.

Just remember one thing though - your full back positions are the MOST important in the game. Its where the game engine tries to exploit you the most. Playing with wing backs can lead you into trouble sometimes. You need very good CB's covering for you in a tactic like yours. Vermaelen and Silva, while good, are not great. You're putting too much pressure on them this way and they'll get found out.

I know my way works. I've not conceded any goals in 8 games so far. And I usually dont concede too many. Part of the reason why I do well. If you dont concede, you cant lose! icon_smile.gif

just a quick question if i buy 2 foreign players who are over 27 and over am i still allowed to purchase english players who are 27 and over?

Yes, you can. English players can be bought for as much money as you want, they can be given as much salary as you want, they can be as old as you want and they can be as many as you want.

Ah I see. I used to have a lot of success with tactics on FM07 and used to play it a lot more so I made my own rather than tinker someone elses but I haven't put as much time into 08 and it seems more difficult. I had one with Leeds which I'll need to look at, I dropped it after I left Leeds but I won every game in the season using that apart from cups although I turned over 3 premier league clubs in a brave attempt. Really annoyed that save got corrupted but I played again from the start and think I lost 1 game that season, so I might do well to check if I saved the tactics from that. I tried with Kimz but didn't have a lot of success, I'm not really sure if the players I have fit his tactic I'll have to take a look, since I invested in wingers rather than good scoring AMC's. The tactic I'm using is from my last game & the reason I used it was because I was Man City and the tactic worked well there. Was third in the league on goal difference with United top, who, near the end of the season were still unbeaten and had drawn about three games. Pretty insane for a non player club.

I was happy with Taiwo. I wasn't too sure who to have at LB but their were a few good ones around. He usually leaves on my games for around 5.25m although it's not usually me that signs him I've just heard good comments about him. Thought I'd take a gamble on him and put in a bid of 5.25m all went smoothly. The players I had real problems signing was Miranda, who crazily his price kept going up to 6.5m, Alex Silva at 6.25 and Felipe who went cheap but I was in negotiations for like 2 or 3, possibly 4 weeks. I was holding out for Amauri to come through because I've never signed the lad before so wanted to be sure he'd be interested and ask for a decent wage and research him a bit since he'll be the star striker. I had actually agreed personal terms with Gudjohnson from barca but he's out for two months so probably wouldn't pass the medical (although it gave me the button to complete the transfer) but I thought I'd hold out for a TS (Amauri) and FS (Diogo). Hope I don't regret it but Gudjohnson doesn't look that good on my game, maybe because he's injured. I only have about 400k left to improve.

So if a game is in the balance you'll watch a full 90 minutes then? Wow I bet that takes forever icon_redface.gif. I might try it some time. It'll be quite different for me, since I usually sign the absolute best AM I can get regardless of cost and pre-design a formation to fit my players then skip most games. This does sometimes help though because I have the players I like and the AM has the players he likes and sometimes a varied approach helps. Anybody else disagree with the team Bergkamp suggests? Although for once I do agree with my AM on most the players in the team if I'm honest. Doesn't happen a lot.

A True Fan, I like your team. I actually don't know all the players in there so I'll have to look them up. Nice buy in Yoann Gouffran.

Originally posted by PoopyPants:

Zellix

Did you download your tactic?

I did indeed. It worked very well at Manchester City so hopefully it'll materialize here. No cheating on there, no restarting (I actually know a lot of people in real life who play FM and I know most of them restart games).

I got it from here

just downloading the database i like this because its got more rules than just build a team and win everything! will probably start tonight if it downloaded quick enough! looks good will have to have a proper at the rules because i find it hard to follow them when there are loads of transfer rules and i wouldnt want to **** up. anyways will update once its available. your squads look good!

Spector

No mate. You cant.

Zellix

Yeah, it does take time to come up with your own tactic but its well worth it. I HAVE to watch full games most of the time mate. I dont have a tactic which will win me a lot of games just on its own. Thats why I need to watch full games to see where I need a little tweaking. But trust me, once you get the balance right in the game, you'll suddenly see your team play the most beautiful ever. Its almost like watching a Derby team on their worst day in one instance suddenly transform to Arsenal on their best day. It does take time, but I find it worth it. It takes me a lot longer to complete seasons but I enjoy every single game I play! icon_smile.gif

Taiwo - the lad is quality mate. You've taken no chance on him. He's just sheer quality. One of the better LB's on the game. Thing is, I usually see him go for 13-15M so never even bothered doing a scout report on him! Stupid me! Would have been great on my left side even though Eduardo is doing a good job so far.

Gudjohnsen - dont worry, you did the right thing in not signing him. Not worth it.

Miranda - yeah, if you dont bid for him quick enough, his price starts going up as he attracts a lot of attention from other teams. Good player though. Doing well for me so far.

Bergkamp - well, he usually suggests decent teams but he keeps putting bloody Marcelo at LB and I cant have that. Most of the other positions are fine though but the thing is that AM's go on what a players "natural" position is rather than on stats. He keeps putting Eduardo out of the team because he's a "natural" CB (a position where I would probably never play him!). So I dont usually bother much with any of my AM's advise!

dexta200

Good to see you joining in mate. If you need to know something just ask. I'd suggest skipping the rules I posted in my opening post and reading them on Page 2. They are bunched together there and are easier to read through. icon14.gif

Meanwhile, here are a few exceptions and allowances to make the game a little easier atleast to start off:

1. Refer rule no.5. The exception is that you CAN sign a player who is only 26 at the time of purchasing. However, he should be 27 before the transfer window closes. For eg, if you buy a 26 year old in the first transfer window, he should turn 27 before or on 31st August. I add this exception because I notice that there are a few players that you can buy who fall under this category. Also, their price might increase if you wait until they hit their 27th birthday.

can i buy one who is 22 but turns 23 after i buy him? but before the transfer window ends?

so when hes signed for me he is 22?

Originally posted by EricCOYB:

Zellix

by signing riquelme you have now convinced me to play the play game icon_biggrin.gif

i love that man. dunno how to mananged to get him though.

i'll post my progress on here asap

great idea btw icon14.gif

Lol yeah he's awesome in real life imo. He was a huge let down on PES for me and then I wasted like 12M on him on FM07 when Danial Carvalho was just as good...but then again on my FM07 save Carvalho was a complete beast. Fingers crossed he can actually perform well from CM. Mate don't worry about signing him or anyone if you can get a bid accepted. I don't usually play with high rep teams so I was very surprised, but if nobody else wants to sign someone you can offer quite a low wage and people still accept. If you get an offer accepted you can offer quite a bit lower wages than they want but most will accept or at least compromise because they want to join. He'e still on a fair wack though....my highest paid player. About 45k a week I think. I'll look forward to seeing your team icon_biggrin.gif.

this looked alot easier than its turned out to be lol! money going down very quickly and im stuck for english players! havent signed any yet, could have some terrible ones in my first team which wont be good! almost done though once i get a few english ones.

also did you say we can loan bojan?
i wasnt sure either the rule is unclear as it says you are not allowed to loan bojan but only as backup

which doest make sense

must be a mistake

You are right mate. It is a mistake. Sorry about that.

To clarify:

I decided to scrap the rule whereby you are forced to buy your loanee player next season if you play him a lot in season 1. It can easily be misused so best to let it rest. And you ARE now allowed to loan in Bojan if desired but again, only as a backup.

Hope that clarifies it. I put "not" instead of "now" before! Silly type-o!

But do remember that the loanees are not allowed to play unless your other backups are all injured/suspended/unavailable.

thats cool still hes the best you could get really.

there isnt a rule about the english playing in your starting line up is there? just need 5 first team members.

Yep, thats right. Although, I really should include a rule to do that. Thanx for bringing it up. I was just working on some of the future rules. Will incorporate it in them somehow! icon_biggrin.gif

right i just typed everything out then clicked reply again and lost everything so im not putting the prices because took too long lol!

if you ask i will put them in.

but overall i spent every penny!

GK - Logan Bailly, Preston Edwards

DR - Mickael Chretien, Cristian Ansaldi, Ryan Taylor

DL - Marcelo, Urby Emanuelson

DC - Felipe, Federico Fazio, Habib Bellaid, Mamadou Sakho, Didier Digard, Alan Stubbs, Jordan Spence.

MR - Giles Barnes, Gabriel Torje, Axel Witsel Yoann Gouffran.

ML - Sylvain Marveaux, Helder Barbosa.

MC - Pablo Piatti, Thiago Neves, Toni Kroos, Ivan Rakitic, Per Ciljan Skjelbred, Younousse Sankhare, Pierre Ducasse, Alberto Zapater.

FC - Salvador Cabanas, Andre-Pierre Gignac, Billy Sharp, Victor Moses, Henri Saivet, Bojan.

Youth.

Thiago

Georginio Wijnaldum

Andre Ayew

Mame Biram Diouf

John Fleck

Aquino

John Bostock

Vincent Acapandie.

Joris Delle

will prob use most of those youth at some point and will need to cut the first team down alot i guess but at the moment i havent decided really who i want to play.

First Game!!

London Utd vs Man Utd

GK - Logan Bailly - Age 21

DR - Michael Chretien - 23 (July 10th)

DL - Marcelo - 19

DC - Federico Fazio - 20

DC - Felipe - 23 (July 31st)

MR - Alex Witsel - 18

ML - Sylvain Marveaux - 21

MC - Toni Kroos - 17

MC - Alberto Zapater - 22

FC - Andre-Pierre Gignac - 22

FC - Salvador Cabanas - 27

Lets see how this goes then

hope everything is okay and legal with my squad?

Archived