The Play My Game Project

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alexio:

Sorry for dubble posting, but forgot to ask why you have shorter passing for the LWB? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So he passes more to my MLC icon_smile.gif

Thanks =)

promoted yet?

struggling in my first season with reading, and think i have tried to tweak this tac in every possible way i can to get some results. Tried making it more of a CA tactic with no luck. Tried lowering the d-line and decreasing tempo(and some other settings), as i was constently caught on the break. Seems like im doing something wrong though.

So were interested in what kind of changes you did after getting promoted. If youre not there yet, please share when you do icon_wink.gif

When I get promoted it might carry on in the Sheff Utd Project thread icon_smile.gif

The tactic is set up as a counter attacking one I thought already. When you say caught on the break, how do you mean?

my CMs cant seem to find my wingers, so they pass the ball between them and the back four. They therefor loose possesion in dangerous areas of the pitch, and i get caught out by a direct TB, wich gets their stirker in a one on one situation. Basically its probebly down to lack of quality, because i used this one in another save with Villa and had fairly good results.

Another problem is my fullbacks leaving to much space behind them. so when im fasing a team thats using a direct passing style im in big trubble.

Brought in some new players, so they also need time to settle and so on. Maybe the team also needs time adapting to the tactic, but after 15-16 games i figure they should have done that by now. Been tinkering for like 10 hours now, and getting slightly frustrated icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Edwards:

I swear the AI are picking out Billy Sharp to injure him, 2 games in a row he has been injured, 1st one for 5 days, Second one for ????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could be over playing, I had to rest him for the odd game

I may aswell give it a go...

The defence is suprisingly good. The players aren't especially brilliant, and the tactic looks... Strange.... But they work. I kept a clean sheet in a 2-0 win against Bristol City with the left winger the only dissapointing player. For my second game i called the pacey Shelton from the reserves to play there instead.

20 seconds in we went 1-0 up against Wolves, only to see Evans sent off in the 7th minute. I upped "time wasting" even further, brought off one of the two CMs for a defender and got ready to fight it out...

At half time, i was 3-0 up.

The second half didn't go quite so well. It was the scrappy affair i expected the first to end up as, and in the 70th minute the clean sheet was lost. A second quickly followed, but was ruled offside. After that scare, the lads held on well for the 3-1 win. Not bad for ten men!

Oh, and a little hint; Ask for money. Bagged me an extra 4 mil or so which will do nicely over christmas...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

cleon, no offence and I realy mean so. I think using such formations (which are not used by AI also) is a cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a fake formation, it sure is similar to the one Chelsea play at times...

you know, the whole two center mids, two forward/wingers, a lone striker, attacking fullbacks and a DM who's almost a fifth defender...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

cleon, no offence and I realy mean so. I think using such formations (which are not used by AI also) is a cheat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If logically outsmarting the AI is considered cheating, then yes, Cleon is a pretty serious cheater. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r0x0r:

For a fake formation, it sure is similar to the one Chelsea play at times...

you know, the whole two center mids, two forward/wingers, a lone striker, attacking fullbacks and a DM who's almost a fifth defender... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I've seen a certain Catalunyian team play that formation on occasion too.....

After we conceeded at Wolves, the floodgates opened. Home to QPR, and a whole one goal slipped past us. We then managed to keep a clean again against Scunthorpe thankfully...

The bad news? We failed to score in either, and had a man sent off late against Scunthorpe. Time to go easy tackling i think... Not sure what I'll do with the strikers.

I took a look at this game because I was interested to see how it went. One thing which I feel will be a big problem is TEAM TALKS. Brian Kidd is terrible in my opinion. Read the thread a few pages back by The Next Diaby. The tactic is defensively sound but does conceded a lot of shots but attacking on the counter is brilliant. Javi Flores is a handful, getting rid of him when I can. Some brilliant signings btw Cleon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ntfc:

I took a look at this game because I was interested to see how it went. One thing which I feel will be a big problem is TEAM TALKS. Brian Kidd is terrible in my opinion. Read the thread a few pages back by The Next Diaby. The tactic is defensively sound but does conceded a lot of shots but attacking on the counter is brilliant. Javi Flores is a handful, getting rid of him when I can. Some brilliant signings btw Cleon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't get lots of shots against me, so I don't know what problem your having. A few long shots maybe but no threats really. I've let in 12 goals in 38 games so far.

Brian Kidd is okay for team talks, I've just won the league and I'm still yet to be beaten and I'm in March now. I hate team talks so always leave them to the assistant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I took a look at this game because I was interested to see how it went. One thing which I feel will be a big problem is TEAM TALKS. Brian Kidd is terrible in my opinion </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you or your ass man is struggling with team talks then i would highly recommend reading Wolfsong's team talk guide....it worked wonders for me, propelling me from mid table obscurity to league 2 champions with no change in tactics or playing staff whatsoever. The link is below...

Wolfsong's Team Talk Guide

Btw Cleon great tactic...super defense if you tweak it to suit your players + playing Keigan Parker as the AML is working an absolute treat my top scorer by quite a way. Only problem i've found is that we dont seem to be scoring very many goals as a team - it's either Parker scores or we don't score at all...lots of 1-0's 0-0's and my biggest victory is only 3-0, but i'm still up there in 2nd so i'm not complainin too much icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knap:

I often run down loadable tactics on a holiday season, but do not usually comment as usually no better than std tactics.

Although the test may have limitations it should give an indication of what may work.

3 tactics that have worked well - SUFC, WHU and Foira2.

As I play with Spurs I also prefer to use 2 strikers and not convinced Berbs is a lone striker, so Heathfiora may be tested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all honesty the best tactics now for the public patch all feature a solo striker supported by AMs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rashidi1:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knap:

I often run down loadable tactics on a holiday season, but do not usually comment as usually no better than std tactics.

Although the test may have limitations it should give an indication of what may work.

3 tactics that have worked well - SUFC, WHU and Foira2.

As I play with Spurs I also prefer to use 2 strikers and not convinced Berbs is a lone striker, so Heathfiora may be tested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In all honesty the best tactics now for the public patch all feature a solo striker supported by AMs </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen to that, and hopefully, in due course, Amen to that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Golden_Team:

Cleon

sorry for english, what attributes should have assman to give him team talks? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Probably needs to be good looking?

Cleon:

Something I still don't quite understand is why you (and others) use the wingback with BARROWS, rather than a fullback with FARROWS. Is there a difference?

I seem to get conflicting answers and thought I'd get it from the horse's mouth - so to speak.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

Cleon:

Something I still don't quite understand is why you (and others) use the wingback with BARROWS, rather than a fullback with FARROWS. Is there a difference?

I seem to get conflicting answers and thought I'd get it from the horse's mouth - so to speak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I'm attacking I want them in the start position of the DML/DMR and not in a fullback position. Hence the barrows as when I loose possession I want them to revert back to DL/DR positions. I find playing this way to be much more effective and solid as I don't get caught out by long balls or balls over the top.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cleon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

Cleon:

I seem to get conflicting answers and thought I'd get it from the horse's mouth - so to speak. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I'm attacking I want them in the start position of the DML/DMR and not in a fullback position. Hence the barrows as when I loose possession I want them to revert back to DL/DR positions. I find playing this way to be much more effective and solid as I don't get caught out by long balls or balls over the top. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Cleon. I'm not using your tactic but I a intrigued by the difference here. I have now played "your way" with BARROWS on the wing backs and it appears to offer some advantages. However, just one small thing I've found is that when the opposition gets a goal kick, the players stay in the wingback position until one of their players touches the ball.

This is great in many cases, but if they play with wingers with long FARROWS, they seem to be in clear space on the wings. I guess I'll have to man mark them, but I wondered if you have this in your game/tactics.

IM CURRENTLY SHEFF UNITED IN PREM I TRIED URE TACTIC DIDNT SEEM TO WORK IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD CHANGE LIKE TEAM INSTUCTIONS CURRENTLY USING CROATS TACTICS CANNOT GET NO CONSISTENCY BEAT INTER MILAN AND LIVERPOOL AWAY BUT THEN WILL GET BEAT BY BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE . GAME IS REALLY FRUSTRATING

Cleon: I know you previously stated that you no longer put your tactics for download, but by putting your save game then surely someone is going to take the tactic out. That is exactly what i did. Downloaded the save game, loaded it up, saved the tactic and booted up a new season with Sunderland.

I kept the formation and team instructions exactly the same, making only minor changes to some player instructions.

This is how it has gone so far...

Pre-season produced in different results.

Liverpool (H) 2-1 W - I noticed you said you only change if you are losing. In this game i went a goal down inside 5 mins but stayed with it as it was my first competitive game with the tactic. We made some nice movement and scored a last minute winner. icon_wink.gif

Chelsea (A) 0-3 L - A goal down in first 5 minutes and this time i jumped in and tweaked - i believe i got it wrong.

Newcastle (H) 3-2 W - Another early goal against and this time i found out why, the G/K being on fwd runs was pushing slightly out his 6 yard box even when teams were attacking. I've since changed this back which i believe you have since mentioned in this thread. Nonetheless i enjoyed the outcome. icon_smile.gif

Middlesboro (A) 1-0 W - I know you said you only tweak if you are losing but i prefer not leaving things to chance, when i reached the 60-65 minute mark at 1-0 up i changed to a time wasting style tactic.

Leicester (H) (CUP) 1-1 - This was without doubt my worst game with this tactic. Not only did i go out on pens i should have been beaton in the 90 mins. Didn't desreve anything and don't know why. Maybe a cup game needs a different approach?

Reading (H) 0-0 - I should have won this game but maybe i would have if i had went slightly more attacking. My defence over the last couple of games is showing me great encouragment.

Arsenal (A) 0-2 L - I think in these sort of games i need to do something different.

Birmingham (H) 2-0. Comfortable victory.

Man Utd (A) 0-0 - After the Chelsea and Arsenal defeats i knew that something needed to be changed. I dropped the mentality, D-L, and slighly tweaked some others. As expected Man Utd came at me but as the game went on i really became confident that despite their possesion i was going to hold out. In the last 20 mintes i had 4 good chances to score but timid finishing let me down. But 0-0 at Old Trafford is ok in my book. icon_wink.gif

Bolton (H) 2-1 W - This was a strange one, in the first half i threw everything at Bolton but only had a 1-0 advantage at HT. Bolton equalised shortly into the second half. I noticed it said that they then changed to defensive so i moved our mentality up about 4-5 notches and around 15 minutes regained the lead. As this was just after the 60th minute i took no chances and used my TW tactic to secure the 3 pts.

So with a team predicted for the drop we're currently in 4th place in the EPL.

I want to thank you for making this available because i've seen this game in a completly different light to the one i've struggled with previously.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by andysafc:

Cleon: I know you previously stated that you no longer put your tactics for download, but by putting your save game then surely someone is going to take the tactic out. That is exactly what i did. Downloaded the save game, loaded it up, saved the tactic and booted up a new season with Sunderland.

I kept the formation and team instructions exactly the same, making only minor changes to some player instructions.

Liverpool (H) 2-1 W - I noticed you said you only change if you are losing. In this game i went a goal down inside 5 mins but stayed with it as it was my first competitive game with the tactic. We made some nice movement and scored a last minute winner. icon_wink.gif

Chelsea (A) 0-3 L - A goal down in first 5 minutes and this time i jumped in and tweaked - i believe i got it wrong.

Newcastle (H) 3-2 W - Another early goal against and this time i found out why, the G/K being on fwd runs was pushing slightly out his 6 yard box even when teams were attacking. I've since changed this back which i believe you have since mentioned in this thread. Nonetheless i enjoyed the outcome. icon_smile.gif

Middlesboro (A) 1-0 W - I know you said you only tweak if you are losing but i prefer not leaving things to chance, when i reached the 60-65 minute mark at 1-0 up i changed to a time wasting style tactic.

Leicester (H) (CUP) 1-1 - This was without doubt my worst game with this tactic. Not only did i go out on pens i should have been beaton in the 90 mins. Didn't desreve anything and don't know why. Maybe a cup game needs a different approach?

Reading (H) 0-0 - I should have won this game but maybe i would have if i had went slightly more attacking. My defence over the last couple of games is showing me great encouragment.

Arsenal (A) 0-2 L - I think in these sort of games i need to do something different.

Man Utd (A) 0-0 - After the Chelsea and Arsenal defeats i knew that something needed to be changed. I dropped the mentality, D-L, and slighly tweaked some others. As expected Man Utd came at me but as the game went on i really became confident that despite their possesion i was going to hold out. In the last 20 mintes i had 4 good chances to score but timid finishing let me down. But 0-0 at Old Trafford is ok in my book. icon_wink.gif

Bolton (H) 2-1 W - This was a strange one, in the first half i threw everything at Bolton but only had a 1-0 advantage at HT. Bolton equalised shortly into the second half. I noticed it said that they then changed to defensive so i moved our mentality up about 4-5 notches and around 15 minutes regained the lead. As this was just after the 60th minute i took no chances and used my TW tactic to secure the 3 pts.

I want to thank you for making this available because i've seen this game in a completly different light to the one i've struggled with previously. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm glad you are having some success at last andy icon_smile.gif

Its not bad going that because Sunderland are probably the weakest EPL team imo.

Posted 06 February 2008 11:46 Hide PostReply With QuoteEdit or Delete MessageReport This Post

Liverpool (H) 2-1 W - I noticed you said you only change if you are losing. In this game i went a goal down inside 5 mins but stayed with it as it was my first competitive game with the tactic. We made some nice movement and scored a last minute winner. Wink

Newcastle (H) 3-2 W - Another early goal against and this time i found out why, the G/K being on fwd runs was pushing slightly out his 6 yard box even when teams were attacking. I've since changed this back which i believe you have since mentioned in this thread. Nonetheless i enjoyed the outcome. Smile

Man Utd (A) 0-0 - After the Chelsea and Arsenal defeats i knew that something needed to be changed. I dropped the mentality, D-L, and slighly tweaked some others. As expected Man Utd came at me but as the game went on i really became confident that despite their possesion i was going to hold out. In the last 20 mintes i had 4 good chances to score but timid finishing let me down. But 0-0 at Old Trafford is ok in my book. Wink

I want to thank you for making this available because i've seen this game in a completly different light to the one i've struggled with previously.

HI wot changes did u make wiv sunderland i play wiv sheff united in prem and not having and luck with tactic would be interesting to see wot changes u make please ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HI wot changes did u make wiv sunderland i play wiv sheff united in prem and not having and luck with tactic would be interesting to see wot changes u make please ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just played it as it is against most teams. Against the Top 4 i reduced mentality, D/L and width. In any game i was dominating without scoring just moved the mentality up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valete86:

so where can i found the tactic to try it ?

someone can help </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look on page one of the tread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Helstead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by valete86:

Look on page one of the tread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have donwload yet the game but i can not load it don't know what happened i recive an error message and the game close of....

so i can not view the saved game of Sheff or the tactic.. :s

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Helstead:

Look on page one of the tread. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i have donwload yet the game but i can not load it don't know what happened i recive an error message and the game close of....

so i can not view the saved game of Sheff or the tactic.. :s

Cleon, this is a very good shape. icon14.gif Now I´m using it but with a bit different style of play (technical play cos I´m managing in Argentina and there are a lot of players with good technic). Just played some friendlies, but I'll post my results soon. Cheers icon_cool.gif

I'd like to pay tribute to Cleon here, I've not downloaded the tactic but I have taken note of his set up (wing backs and DMC with back arrows) and have to say it has turned my game around.

I set up my own tactic with this idea of a back 2 becoming a back 5, coupled it with slow tempo and short passing and have had great success.

I'm unbeaten with Nottm Forest after 30 games (yes I know Forest are good for League 1 but there's no way I'd have gone unbeaten with any other set up I've tried thus far).

Anyway, thanks again Cleon, keep up the good work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ObaMartins09:

Cleon doesn't cheat ffs. I downloaded it and did just as well as he was doing.

Claming someone cheats is just jealousy. He is better than you at Fm, get over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol,well i dont know about that,.........on second thought,yeah i know,he's not better than me in fm

and if he has guts to play his "wonder"tactic against mine,i would be glad to show you how does this match engine work,since u have figueried it out

Amazing all the people who are having the same success as me isn't it Paul. If you're just gonna accuse me of cheating then I kindly ask you to not post here anymore, unless you are contibuting to the thread sensibly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Yohan_Gourcuff_:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ObaMartins09:

Cleon doesn't cheat ffs. I downloaded it and did just as well as he was doing.

Claming someone cheats is just jealousy. He is better than you at Fm, get over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol,well i dont know about that,.........on second thought,yeah i know,he's not better than me in fm

and if he has guts to play his "wonder"tactic against mine,i would be glad to show you how does this match engine work,since u have figueried it out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any more nonesense and its a warning ok? stop ruining the thread ffs.

Hi Cleon. From one Sheffielder to another icon14.gif

Just a quick on mate, how do you download your saved game? I clicked on the link and saved in Football Manager 2008 and in the "games" bit. Loaded up FM and your game was not there when I clicked on "load game". I take it there is something that I'm doing very wrong lol. icon_biggrin.gif

I Have played the cleons games and his tactic is class spot on but wud like to know how u have got on in the prem wiv this and if you have changed formation or if u have kept same formation and just changed instructions ? as i have a game with sheff united in the prem and this tactic didnt work much obviously i did try changing to suit my players but didnt have much joy with that can u tell me how u use the scouting report to influence your team instructions please cleon ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can someone please tell me how you download Cleon's saved game. I have downloaded it but can't seem to upload it on my game. When I go on "load game" it's not there! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to go to the folder and then 'unzip' it to the place you have already put it.

Archived