FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Evon:

You sold too many for much too little. Your squad must be paper-thin. You could have got maybe £5m extra.

Yeah i suppose, but then again, All the reserve players will never be United quality, so might aswell sell them, and play youngsters in the reserves so they get more games.

My 1st team squad is fine http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united4jw8.jpg

All i need is a Wonderkid left back / winger.

And besides, it's a demo, I've done some things quicker and without thinking to much about it. In the final release, then I'll be needing more transfer money since I'll be buying new staff + the left back i mentioned. Maybe a Greath Bale, also a new GK: ustari looks Brilliant, check him out.

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srezel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No.25:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by srezel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by No.25:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

Im looking to add either a left or right winger.

Any recommendations?

Ricardo Quaresma is godlike in my opinion, maybe not a Lionel Messi but well worth the £27.5m you can buy him for.

Ricardo Quaresma Screenshot:

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united95cr1.jpg

I'd suggest you just look at the players stats and not really on the Statistics, I've used him as a SUB To ease his way into the 1st team. Quaresma can be used as both AML and AMR - hod good is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if you think his stats are good, then take a look at Silva from Valencia.

He's definately one of the best players on the game statswise! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i've been looking at Quaresma, but isn't he just good, nothing fantastic? I mean i am an admirer of his stats but my scouts say he's just a good signing. However they said Silva is better.

So how much is Quaresma or Silva, and which is better value for money? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing that Illdisposed bought Quaresma for 27.5 mio, it's probably around that.

Silva, however, is much more expensive. I offered 50 mio which was refused.

Who's the better value for money is hard to answer as I haven't tried any of them and don't know what the price of Silva is icon_smile.gif

I would however say Quaresma for a few seasons, but Silva on the other hand is only 21 years old, so he'll probably last 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how does one get 27.5 million with ManU's budget? I tried selling some fringe and reserve players, but i still don't have enough. How did you guys get so much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out this screenshot: http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg It shows the list of players I managed to sell, since it was the demo then i just accepted whatever price to get a bigger transfer budget, in the Final release, then i could probably get a few more for the players. But it's not much.

As you also can see, then it almost adds up with the transfer money i made from selling players and buying. Also, adjusting you're player wage / trasnfer budget helps a lot. And also, setting the expectations for winning the league to high increases you're budget. But keep in mind, theres a lot of expectations from the board, i think if you don't win the premiere league or champions league then you'll be sacked, but I'm not sure. I don't know how the board react. Also keep in mind the "2 year plan" the board has set up for you.

hope this helps you to increase you're transfer budget </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It says that the board cannot allow me more transfer money. Guess other than selling players that's it, ain't it. But i got Quaresma for 2.5mill with 20 million payable after 30 league appearances. =)

Originally posted by srezel:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Illdisposed:

Any recommendations?

Ricardo Quaresma is godlike in my opinion, maybe not a Lionel Messi but well worth the £27.5m you can buy him for.

I'd suggest you just look at the players stats and not really on the Statistics, I've used him as a SUB To ease his way into the 1st team. Quaresma can be used as both AML and AMR - hod good is that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's definately one of the best players on the game statswise! icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i've been looking at Quaresma, but isn't he just good, nothing fantastic? I mean i am an admirer of his stats but my scouts say he's just a good signing. However they said Silva is better.

So how much is Quaresma or Silva, and which is better value for money? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seeing that Illdisposed bought Quaresma for 27.5 mio, it's probably around that.

Who's the better value for money is hard to answer as I haven't tried any of them and don't know what the price of Silva is icon_smile.gif

I would however say Quaresma for a few seasons, but Silva on the other hand is only 21 years old, so he'll probably last 10 years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But how does one get 27.5 million with ManU's budget? I tried selling some fringe and reserve players, but i still don't have enough. How did you guys get so much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check out this screenshot: http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united3sv0.jpg It shows the list of players I managed to sell, since it was the demo then i just accepted whatever price to get a bigger transfer budget, in the Final release, then i could probably get a few more for the players. But it's not much.

As you also can see, then it almost adds up with the transfer money i made from selling players and buying. Also, adjusting you're player wage / trasnfer budget helps a lot. And also, setting the expectations for winning the league to high increases you're budget. But keep in mind, theres a lot of expectations from the board, i think if you don't win the premiere league or champions league then you'll be sacked, but I'm not sure. I don't know how the board react. Also keep in mind the "2 year plan" the board has set up for you.

It says that the board cannot allow me more transfer money. Guess other than selling players that's it, ain't it. But i got Quaresma for 2.5mill with 20 million payable after 30 league appearances. =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not you're board that you need to ask for more money, it's the new feature where you can adjust the transfer budget / wage budget to you're wishes..

Just enter you're board room, then down in the bottom left corner, you'll see something like "adjust budget"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

You sold too many for much too little. Your squad must be paper-thin. You could have got maybe £5m extra.

Yeah i suppose, but then again, All the reserve players will never be United quality, so might aswell sell them, and play youngsters in the reserves so they get more games.

My 1st team squad is fine http://img502.imageshack.us/my.php?image=united4jw8.jpg

And besides, it's a demo, I've done some things quicker and without thinking to much about it. In the final release, then I'll be needing more transfer money since I'll be buying new staff + the left back i mentioned. Maybe a Greath Bale, also a new GK: ustari looks Brilliant, check him out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just the two strikers? I'd have went in for another like Adriano on loan or Amauri, to provide back up, and a TM option.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

And besides, it's a demo, I've done some things quicker and without thinking to much about it. In the final release, then I'll be needing more transfer money since I'll be buying new staff + the left back i mentioned. Maybe a Greath Bale, also a new GK: ustari looks Brilliant, check him out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fine? That's worse than bloody paper-thin. One injury to one of your strikers and it's over.

Fine? That's worse than bloody paper-thin. One injury to one of your strikers and it's over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

w-evon-s, shoulda got Huntelaar. You really didnt need Quaresma either, you have Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani who can cover both wings, then theres Lee Martin and Chris Eagles who can provide back up for the left and right wing respectively; hell, even Anderson can play Left wing if you're really that stretched.

Another DM? Veloso may be a hot prospect (who Utd want irl apparently), but you didnt need him, specially when you have 2 great DMs in Carrick and Hargreaves.

In conclusion, you have spent money on players which you dont need when you could of spent in other area's that really need strengthening, such as GK, ST, RB and LB.

On the flip side though, you should have a brilliant first team if you can get Tevez and Rooney to work, personally I cant. icon14.gif

Fine? That's worse than bloody paper-thin. One injury to one of your strikers and it's over. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nahhh, I'm pretty covered in my opinion. I use 1 Striker up front. So if both Rooney and Tevez gets injured, i use Ronaldo - I'm only streched if both Tevez and Rooney get longterm injuries.

Since i rotate the players, then i avoid getting them injured. It's worked for me in FM07, from the beginning to 2016, so i just continued like that in FM08 and I've dominated most of my games.

But thanks for your concern icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Sheps.:

w-evon-s, shoulda got Huntelaar. You really didnt need Quaresma either, you have Ronaldo, Giggs and Nani who can cover both wings, then theres Lee Martin and Chris Eagles who can provide back up for the left and right wing respectively; hell, even Anderson can play Left wing if you're really that stretched.

Another DM? Veloso may be a hot prospect (who Utd want irl apparently), but you didnt need him, specially when you have 2 great DMs in Carrick and Hargreaves.

In conclusion, you have spent money on players which you dont need when you could of spent in other area's that really need strengthening, such as GK, ST, RB and LB.

On the flip side though, you should have a brilliant first team if you can get Tevez and Rooney to work, personally I cant. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Think you're referring to my game, if not. then ignore this icon_smile.gif

I bought Quaresma to test him out, in average throughout my 4 demo games then Quaresma has matched Ronaldo who has been hailed as a sensation by the media. I don't use Giggs to be honest. He seems slow in my games and very rarely get a rating of "8" throughout the whole game, besides. I Don't like Giggs IRL either (but thats a whole different subject)

I rotate Nani / Ronaldo / Quaresma - mostly i use Ronaldo on a regular basis at the beginning but as the season start i switch him out as well, It's a long year and i want him fit - It seems like the fitness of some of my players are limited and that's only in the demo, so when i get the release I'll rotate even more :O

As i use 2 DM in my tactics then i needed a up and coming superstar; and that's Miguel Veloso icon_smile.gif Carlos Quieroz (spelling?) rates him highly, saying he'll be a quality player in the near future.

Personally, then i don't mind going the 1st season with Van Der Sar, he seems to be doing pretty well. As with United; they have Ben Foster and Kuszczak who i don't know if they can match the role as United keeper. Buffon will be my upmost target together, but got no clue if i can snatch him away from Juventus.

Neville has some years left in him, and the United stats researcher has buffed W. Brown so i wont hesitate to use him.

My weakest area and a mistake i wont make again, is to sell O'shea. Biggest mistake EVER, he can play all over the place.

All in all, I'm happy about my team, I've sold USELESS youngsters, and planning on getting some young kids who can actually make it at United during my 2nd year, they'll be backups.

Back 4 is 100% safe with Evans and Pique as backup for the superstars.

Defensive midfield is fine, wings are fine, maybe another ST, who on earth that will be i got no clue, maybe Adriano, he is cheap, and with my transfer skills, then i can get him even cheaper icon_smile.gif

Anderson AMC

Adriano AC

Looks pretty good...

I'm not the type who's got 25 Players in 1st team.

Originally posted by morton2003:

New keeper , right back and another striker a must for utd

GK:

1st choice: Buffon

2nd: Ustari

3rd: Craig gordon

RB:

1st: Dani Alves

Micah Richads

3rd: ?? so many to choose from

Striker:

1st: Sergio agueiro

2nd ??

3rd ??

i bet my 1st picks will be expensive, hope i win everything my 1st year as manager icon_biggrin.gif

Any recommendations?

It says that the board cannot allow me more transfer money. Guess other than selling players that's it, ain't it. But i got Quaresma for 2.5mill with 20 million payable after 30 league appearances. =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not you're board that you need to ask for more money, it's the new feature where you can adjust the transfer budget / wage budget to you're wishes..

Just enter you're board room, then down in the bottom left corner, you'll see something like "adjust budget" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i know the "adjust budget" button, i used it. But it just only allows me to change my wage budget.

Any recommendations?

Just enter you're board room, then down in the bottom left corner, you'll see something like "adjust budget" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah i know the "adjust budget" button, i used it. But it just only allows me to change my wage budget. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it might, but then when you lower your wage budget you will automatically be given more money for transfers whether it says it or not icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheps.:

On the flip side though, you should have a brilliant first team if you can get Tevez and Rooney to work, personally I cant. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I bought Quaresma to test him out, in average throughout my 4 demo games then Quaresma has matched Ronaldo who has been hailed as a sensation by the media. I don't use Giggs to be honest. He seems slow in my games and very rarely get a rating of "8" throughout the whole game, besides. I Don't like Giggs IRL either (but thats a whole different subject)

I rotate Nani / Ronaldo / Quaresma - mostly i use Ronaldo on a regular basis at the beginning but as the season start i switch him out as well, It's a long year and i want him fit - It seems like the fitness of some of my players are limited and that's only in the demo, so when i get the release I'll rotate even more :O

As i use 2 DM in my tactics then i needed a up and coming superstar; and that's Miguel Veloso icon_smile.gif Carlos Quieroz (spelling?) rates him highly, saying he'll be a quality player in the near future.

Personally, then i don't mind going the 1st season with Van Der Sar, he seems to be doing pretty well. As with United; they have Ben Foster and Kuszczak who i don't know if they can match the role as United keeper. Buffon will be my upmost target together, but got no clue if i can snatch him away from Juventus.

Neville has some years left in him, and the United stats researcher has buffed W. Brown so i wont hesitate to use him.

My weakest area and a mistake i wont make again, is to sell O'shea. Biggest mistake EVER, he can play all over the place.

All in all, I'm happy about my team, I've sold USELESS youngsters, and planning on getting some young kids who can actually make it at United during my 2nd year, they'll be backups.

Defensive midfield is fine, wings are fine, maybe another ST, who on earth that will be i got no clue, maybe Adriano, he is cheap, and with my transfer skills, then i can get him even cheaper icon_smile.gif

Anderson AMC

Adriano AC

Looks pretty good...

I'm not the type who's got 25 Players in 1st team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that giggs in my game too doesn't look too hot. Getting a couple of bad games. Well i guess it might be that his physical stats aren't too brilliant and i play quick football.

But how can u not like Giggsy irl? Such a dedicated player that's been with United for so long. But well to each his own. Although i'll admit, i didn't really find anything outstanding about his recent performances irl. But as i said... age. =)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sheps.:

Anderson AMC

Adriano AC

Looks pretty good...

I'm not the type who's got 25 Players in 1st team. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree that giggs in my game too doesn't look too hot. Getting a couple of bad games. Well i guess it might be that his physical stats aren't too brilliant and i play quick football.

But how can u not like Giggsy irl? Such a dedicated player that's been with United for so long. But well to each his own. Although i'll admit, i didn't really find anything outstanding about his recent performances irl. But as i said... age. =) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

His age is my main reason. I feel like Alex Ferguson is still playing him so he can reach the Bobby Charlton record. With the Pace united play then i feel he slows it down to much. Also, SAF using Nani doesn't help Giggs adjust to the pace of the game. If you remember Manchester United Vs Wigan, Anderson had a clear runner and Giggs only had to make a simple pass. But he hesitated and the chance for a clear goal was wasted.

I have the upmost respect for Giggs, what he has achieved at United is incredible. And him being so Loyal is outstanding. I just feel his time is up. He simple is to old.

I'd prefer Nani at anytime in FM08 over Giggs, Giggs is just a Backup

Ok i'm man utd i play a 442 with a diamond in the midfield so its 4-1-2-1-2. I can't seem to make ronaldo perform at all! he averaes around 6 - and the strike force upfront is rubbish too! I can't seem to make rooney-tevez work so i bought in Hauntelaar but he is just as useless... Any recommendations to team and individual settings?

Guest shadybruva2005

hello everyone, ive started numerous games on the dem with man utd, and i found paired with rooney up front amauri is a total destroyer, netting 23 goals by december in all competitions.

Also jeremy menez was another buy in another game play him at AMC and he was carving defences open left right and centre, although he isnt to bad up from, the down point to menez was his constistant yellow cards and his hefty 12mil price tag.

I tried huntelaar and with my tactics he was poor, yet on my brothers arenal game KJH and Adebayoar ruled the prem scoring charts

I have not found a prolific strike partnership yet. Adriano and Rooney both average 1 in two which is ok but not as good as I've had in past versions.

I've read alot of you have sold Fletcher off. Due to injuries I have needed to play him quite alot. His average rating of 6.83 whilst not great is competitive to Carrick 6.94 and Hargreaves 6.89.

My team has struggled big time in Europe. The lads can't seem to put the ball in the net. Really missing Scholes who seems really injury prone, only 4 appearances and its Nov 29th.

Originally posted by gonzo7:

I have not found a prolific strike partnership yet. Adriano and Rooney both average 1 in two which is ok but not as good as I've had in past versions.

I've read alot of you have sold Fletcher off. Due to injuries I have needed to play him quite alot. His average rating of 6.83 whilst not great is competitive to Carrick 6.94 and Hargreaves 6.89.

My team has struggled big time in Europe. The lads can't seem to put the ball in the net. Really missing Scholes who seems really injury prone, only 4 appearances and its Nov 29th.

I got Nasri from Marseilles and he has been doing really well for me.10 goals in 18(2) appearances

I don't understand why anyone would buy Nasri for the AMC Position. Manchester United probably got the best up and coming AMC in the game + both Tevez and Rooney can play the position and got excellent stats for the job. In my opinion Nasri is a waste of money, I'd rather buy Miguel Veloso and Joâo Moutinho for the cash icon_smile.gif + The ass. Manager in team report says United need strengthening in midfield, and what better way to do it ?

~ Has anyone had any luck in buying Akinfeev for a decent amount of the transfer budget? ~

Originally posted by DominicForza:

Who have you been playing in place of Scholes? Anderson has done really well for me..both in the middle and on the left.

Mainly Carrick or Fletcher but some times Giggs. I have played Anderson a few time but he didn't quite cut it.

message for illdisposed. what tactics are you using as you seem to be extremely consistent with what clearly looks like a solid back 4 for a 4-2-3-1 formation.

also i would have to agree in selling off a lot of the rubbish in the reserves. There are a lot of good youngsters you can buy on the game for about 500k. Mikel Aaritalo, Alex (Vasco), Boateng (b jerusalem). these are all fairly decent sqaud players to beef up the midfield plus Aaritalo can play up front and on my demo along with rooney he scored 18 goals in 15 matches.

i play 4-2-3-1

3 Attackin Mids all with arrors into the box and 1 striker, not a target man as i like mine to be more creative.

works a treat rotating:

Vaart & Scholes(MC)

Hargreaves & Carrick & Boateng (MC)

ronaldo & giggs (AML)

Belluschi & Nani (AMR)

Rooney & Pandev & Anderson(& Vaart/Scholes if needed)(AMC)

Tevez & Pandev & Rooney (ST)

Rooney is a creative genuis and pandev is leading my scoring charts...anderson has the highest average rating but i use him less often 6 goals in 6 starts! Tevez, Rooney * Pandev have all scored 10+ at christmas and i'm unbeaten in the league!

I don't understand why anyone would buy Nasri for the AMC Position. Manchester United probably got the best up and coming AMC in the game + both Tevez and Rooney can play the position and got excellent stats for the job. In my opinion Nasri is a waste of money, I'd rather buy Miguel Veloso and Joâo Moutinho for the cash icon_smile.gif + The ass. Manager in team report says United need strengthening in midfield, and what better way to do it ?

~ Has anyone had any luck in buying Akinfeev for a decent amount of the transfer budget? ~

I got Nasri to play in MC as the scout report rated him better than Scholes and I play Tevez and Rooney up front.I didnt think I needed another DM with Hargreaves and Carrick both performing well when I rotated them

Originally posted by ManU@oldtrafford:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Raimy:

is Stevan Jovetic available in the game? can anyone check for me thanks!

I'v got the database on large and he not in it so may need to load up the country as well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://community.sigames.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/521102691/m/5462043153 << My Thread

Just got the game and decided to start with man anyone know any good kits and facepacks

You can get lots of facepacks at sortitoutsi.net and I found fmglive.com the best for kits.

Originally posted by zubin23:

Ok i'm man utd i play a 442 with a diamond in the midfield so its 4-1-2-1-2. I can't seem to make ronaldo perform at all! he averaes around 6 - and the strike force upfront is rubbish too! I can't seem to make rooney-tevez work so i bought in Hauntelaar but he is just as useless... Any recommendations to team and individual settings?

I think you should try Rodrigo Palacio. Have him in the demo and he is brilliant. 6 goals n 6 games. Works well with Tevez as both Argentine. Great acceleration, pace, dribbling, finishing and heading. Also, the fans loved him right away and this made the board happy.

I had adriano on the demo on a couple of games and he was not great. Got the full game yesterday morning and bought Amauri for £11.25m. and he is pretty good with rooney / tevez alongside.

Play Amauri on the right hand side and i use following settings:

Attacking: 16-17

Creative Freedom: 12-13

Passing: 7-8

Closing Down: 18

Forward runs: often

everything else on Mixed

Tick hold up ball.

for the left hand striker use the same settings but give the other one creative freedom on the first notch of much and give through balls often. also take off the hold up ball.

I play a 4-1-1-3-1 both wingers making runs into the box. At the moment I play Rooney upfront and Tevez in the AMC i have them set to swap positions with each other and i do the same with the AML + AMR.

I signed Podolski from Bayern for £13.5m and he has been playing really well scoring at a rate of 2 in 3, Saha has made 3 subs appearances i was just about to give him his first start after nursing him back to fitness and he got injured again in training.

My CM is where i play Scholes/Carrick and then i have Hargreaves/Carrick/Fletcher in the DM pos.

I also gave Evra a forward arrow and he has been my best player so far this season with 5 MoM awards and average rating of 7.85 Having to fend off Real Madrid who have offered 16.5m think i'll take it if they offer it at the end of the season but its January and i have no intention of letting him go.

Sitting top of the league by a point from Arsenal, Chelsea are 4th with a couple of games in hand. Liverpool are 3rd but miles off the pace 11 pts iirc

Hi all, started my first game on the full version as Man Utd today.

Thought I needed a target-man as I believe many of you have; went for Kevin Doyle in the end, costing a little over £8m. Seems like a wierd buy but when you take a close look at his stats his makes a nice TS, and has already scored 5 times after 7 league matches.

Got rid of Fletcher for £5m, easy money.

Been alternating between a slightly modified Attacking 4-3-3 and and 4-4-1-1.

Top of the table atm, P7 W5 D2; not too bad

Will keep you all updated, cheers guys.

how much should I buy nasri for he is unsetled after I bidded 10mil?

I got him for 15 million and 50% of next sale but he wasnt unsettled.I dont know how much you would get him for if he was

Archived