FM 2008: Manchester United - Home of the Red Devils

Dayle Wood

Originally posted by Illdisposed:

Has anyone bought and played Adriano with success ?? I'm asking cause I simply cannot make up my mind; should i use him as Target Man? or Striker, alone upfront ??

If you've played him successfully please tell me you're settings for Adriano!

I haven't ever had him but from his stats he's similar enough to Rooney. You should have him kind of like this:

Attacking Mentality: 17-18

Creative Freedom: However high his creativity is

Passing: 5-10 depending on how you play

Closing Down: 20

Forward Runs: Mixed

Run with Ball: Often-unless my memory is gone and his dribbling is below 15

Long Shots: Often as hell

Through balls: Mixed unless his passing is below 15

Make sure Tight Marking isn't ticked and that Hold up Ball is ticked. That should work just fine. It does the trick for Rooney anyway.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got to january transfer window and AC Milan offered £9.75m for Piqué, naturally I would of rejected, he has been quality for me! But... Gill thought he'd take matters into his own hands and accept the offer! Was gutted!!

Besides that not been bad in the transfer market. Been offered Daniel Alves for Carrick, so happily accepted that!

In response to previous posts about Huntelaar and Adriano:

I bought Huntelaar in my first demo game and he banged in the goals. With the injury problems Ihad I would have been lost without him. I did NOT set him as a target man and gave him plenty of creative freedom. He doesn't have great pace or great arial ability, but he sure does find space and attract the ball in and around the box. Good buy.

I bought Adriano in my second demo game and used him as a target man with passing set to "play to feet." Adriano has a ppm of "likes ball played to feet." He is so strong and has excellent technical skills. He is very effective this way.

I tried to buy Jo, but couldn't get a work permit for him. I would like to try Gyan Asamoah, Mario Gomez and Amauri.

Howdy!

Just started the game. Pretty happy with the squad i have, So i probably wont buy any major signings.

Playing a 4-4-2 With AMR/L.

Only played the one friendly so far, Won 4-0 which was nice =D.

Ill keep y'all updated.

Any recommendations for a LB?

i am in december with man utd using the full game and while i agree rooney is tremendoous (21 goals in 17 games) i can not get tevez scoring. just scored after 8 games without a goal and only has 5 in 15 starts. what settings have you got for them to gel abd what formation are you playing?

for home matches im using a 4-1-2-1-2 (Tevez and Rooney up front) and for away matches im using a 4-2-2-1-1 (Tevez AMC and Rooney ST) i beat arsenal 2-0 at the emirates stadium,im still only 5 games into the premiership, won 5/5

il post some screenies of rooney and tevez' player instructions in a bit

Here is my advice on what staff to hire and fire. Note this is on a large database, with many leagues loaded, so some of these may not exist for you.

Obviously, if you really wanted to, you could fire most of the scouts and physios and start from scratch and just hire the best people you can find. Might cost a bit. Probably better to wait for the 2nd rate guys contracts to expire, people like Strudwick, Whelan,

Remember to offer mutual termination to all of these people. They should all accept and you save some money.

Fire:

Scouts:

Derek Langley - Poor scouting ratings.

Vernon Lee - Poor scouting ratings.

Martin Ferguson - Poor scouting ratings.

Gilles Roulion - Poor scouting ratings.

Jim Lawlor - Decent ratings, just not good enough compared to the people Man U should have.

Jimmy Ryan - Poor scouting ratings.

Coach

Mike Phelan - No real area of expertise (iirc).

Ole - Unfortunately, he has a max star rating of 4 (which is in multiple areas, instead of what I think he should be, which is a 5 star shooting coach at the very least), and he won't sign a "youth coach" contract (which I wanted to do to keep him at the club and is what appears to be happening IRL).

Tony Whelan - Jack of all trades, master of none.

Physio

Garry Armer - Physio and Motivating not good enough.

Neil Hough - Physio, Motivating and Discipline not good enough.

Tony Gill - Club only allows 4 Physios. He is the cheapest of lower rated physios to fire.

Steve McNally - You can do better.

-------------------------------------------

Hire

Scouts

Antonio Bastos Lopes - 20 for Potential. 180k

Daniel Rolland - 18 for Ability, 20 for Potential, good knowledge of main euro nations and brazil. 220k

Jose Ramon Fuertes - Brilliant scout. Costs alot though. If you are cheap might want to find someone less. 1 mil.

Luis Costa - 20 for Potential, good knowledge of South America.

Josep Boada - 19 and 19, young. 1 mil.

Sign these guys, and you will have the only 20 rated potential scouts in the large DB, and 6 of the 8 who are potential 19 or higher.

Coaches

You can sign many of your youth team coaches onto full team contracts. I'd say any of the youth coaches with a 6 or 7 star rating should be moved to a full team coach role. Leave Eamonn Malvey as a Youth Coach, use him as the Youth Team manager.

Philippe Lucas - 7 star attack, tactics, defending coach, very good with youngsters - 350k

Philippe Burgio - 7 star tactical coach, good with youngsters, good tactical knowledge. Possible future Assistant Manager. 350k

Jon Dalzell - 7 star fitness coach, extremely good motivation and discipline. 80k

Gert Vanderuzen - 7 star fitness coach, has 20 for physio, 18 of discipline. 120k

Armand Garrido - 7 stars for tactics, ball control, attacking, shooting and set pieces. 550k

These coaches, and offering full coach roles to youth coaches, you should be able to gain 7 stars in all but one category, with that category being filled when one of the 6 or lower star coaches expires (most of the ones I've NOT sacked are because their compo would be close or over 1 million, the board will generally block for compo of 325k and up).

Physio

Jose Luiz Runco - 20 Physio, good discipline and motivation. Cheap. 97k

Magnus Forsblad - 20 Physio, good discipline. Free

John Brown - 20 Physio, Cheap, good with youngsters. 7k

One thing to think about is a possible assistant manager, Carlos does not seem to want to re-sign no matter what I offer him.

It's expensive (it's around 4.3 million for the staff transfer fees alone, let alone firing the old ones), but I think it's worth it. Even a single future star player from the scouts will pay everything, maybe that one extra point a 7 star coach gets out of a player is the difference between winning and losing.

hi , its my first post in this thread, sorry if theses have already been mentioned, but i gota go out in a minute n havent time to do a search, anyway

1. i cant seem to sell anyone, i want to get rid of carrick n saha n bring huntelaar n gareth barry in

2. does anyone think danny simpson will be a good enough long term replacement for g. neville,

3.has anyone used ben foster yet when hes back from injury?? if so is he as good as he should be?

4. if i fail in my bid to get huntelaar, cud rooney be used as a target man as he n tevez wud be my two main strikers, or cud tevez be used?? cus i know they are similar type players that like to drop deep

thanks for any help, im now gonna go get my wisdom tooth ripped out......... wish me luck.

50 mil for Rio should be an instant accept.

Wes Brown is so ridiculously over-rated in this version for some reason, you have Pique as well, plus defenders are often no-where near as pricey for you to buy as a regular player.

Saha will be impossible to sell until his injury is gone. You should be selling Fletcher for 5-8 million (GBP) instead of Carrick.

Simpson will most likely end up as a good premiership player, might be a decent replacement.

Foster will be a decent replacement for VDS,

Rooney and Tevez will be pretty poor target men, the only real option for a target men using them 2 is the "run onto ball" option, with forward runs for them set, and through balls to often for the players who will feed them.

Started using a 4-3-3 system. Only signed Arouca after I couldn't get Pandev. I wanted to give everyone a fair change, so I didn't sell any player at first (though O'Shea was offloaded in the january window).

Normal line-up:

VDS

Neville - Rio - Vidic - Evra

Carrick - Hargeaves - Scholes

Ronaldo - Rooney - Tevez

So far (25 games), the EPL is a two-horse race between Chelsea and me. Arsenal is 15 points behind and Liverpool is somewhere around 10th place (Rafa has already been sacked).

VDS is unfortunately beginning to make some mistakes, especially when compared to the heroics from e.g. Friedel and Lehmann (my boogey keepers). Fletcher is becoming quite the energetic midfielder, and Tevez and Rooney score enough (though the forward 3 miss so many easy changes!).

Lost the CS to Chelsea and the LC to Arsenal (due to a superkeeper on the other side icon_wink.gif). Let's see if I can keep Chelsea behind me (7 points now) and win the ECL (a lot harder).

Like this game!

Guest king-rio

who ever said u couldn't sell saha i just sold him to aston villa for 10 million pounds. anyway i now need advice i made speculative offers for pandev, adriano, huntelaar and owen expecting to get only one of the bids accepted but i have had all 4 bids accepted so who should i sign seeing as have already got tevez and rooney

Hmm. I tried to sell him for 7 when he was injured and I got a blank "no-one is interested due to his injury status". Probably got lucky.

I'd avoid huntelaar, he's not strong enough with headers to be a target man, not really fast enough to be a fast striker, and his finishing and composure is not all that great.

I'd be looking for a big target man.

Someone like Joshua Kennedy.

Originally posted by davidbowie:

Here is my advice on what staff to hire and fire. Note this is on a large database, with many leagues loaded, so some of these may not exist for you.

Obviously, if you really wanted to, you could fire most of the scouts and physios and start from scratch and just hire the best people you can find. Might cost a bit. Probably better to wait for the 2nd rate guys contracts to expire, people like Strudwick, Whelan,

Remember to offer mutual termination to all of these people. They should all accept and you save some money.

Fire:

Scouts:

Derek Langley - Poor scouting ratings.

Vernon Lee - Poor scouting ratings.

Martin Ferguson - Poor scouting ratings.

Gilles Roulion - Poor scouting ratings.

Jim Lawlor - Decent ratings, just not good enough compared to the people Man U should have.

Jimmy Ryan - Poor scouting ratings.

Coach

Mike Phelan - No real area of expertise (iirc).

Ole - Unfortunately, he has a max star rating of 4 (which is in multiple areas, instead of what I think he should be, which is a 5 star shooting coach at the very least), and he won't sign a "youth coach" contract (which I wanted to do to keep him at the club and is what appears to be happening IRL).

Tony Whelan - Jack of all trades, master of none.

Physio

Garry Armer - Physio and Motivating not good enough.

Neil Hough - Physio, Motivating and Discipline not good enough.

Tony Gill - Club only allows 4 Physios. He is the cheapest of lower rated physios to fire.

Steve McNally - You can do better.

-------------------------------------------

Hire

Scouts

Antonio Bastos Lopes - 20 for Potential. 180k

Daniel Rolland - 18 for Ability, 20 for Potential, good knowledge of main euro nations and brazil. 220k

Jose Ramon Fuertes - Brilliant scout. Costs alot though. If you are cheap might want to find someone less. 1 mil.

Luis Costa - 20 for Potential, good knowledge of South America.

Josep Boada - 19 and 19, young. 1 mil.

Sign these guys, and you will have the only 20 rated potential scouts in the large DB, and 6 of the 8 who are potential 19 or higher.

Coaches

You can sign many of your youth team coaches onto full team contracts. I'd say any of the youth coaches with a 6 or 7 star rating should be moved to a full team coach role. Leave Eamonn Malvey as a Youth Coach, use him as the Youth Team manager.

Philippe Lucas - 7 star attack, tactics, defending coach, very good with youngsters - 350k

Philippe Burgio - 7 star tactical coach, good with youngsters, good tactical knowledge. Possible future Assistant Manager. 350k

Jon Dalzell - 7 star fitness coach, extremely good motivation and discipline. 80k

Gert Vanderuzen - 7 star fitness coach, has 20 for physio, 18 of discipline. 120k

Armand Garrido - 7 stars for tactics, ball control, attacking, shooting and set pieces. 550k

These coaches, and offering full coach roles to youth coaches, you should be able to gain 7 stars in all but one category, with that category being filled when one of the 6 or lower star coaches expires (most of the ones I've NOT sacked are because their compo would be close or over 1 million, the board will generally block for compo of 325k and up).

Physio

Jose Luiz Runco - 20 Physio, good discipline and motivation. Cheap. 97k

Magnus Forsblad - 20 Physio, good discipline. Free

John Brown - 20 Physio, Cheap, good with youngsters. 7k

One thing to think about is a possible assistant manager, Carlos does not seem to want to re-sign no matter what I offer him.

It's expensive (it's around 4.3 million for the staff transfer fees alone, let alone firing the old ones), but I think it's worth it. Even a single future star player from the scouts will pay everything, maybe that one extra point a 7 star coach gets out of a player is the difference between winning and losing.

which leagues have you got loaded to find these guys?

Originally posted by JamboSteven:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

Lescott. Baines is impossible to get hold of in the first season.

How much can i get him for?

Btw is Andrew Taylor any good? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Andrew Taylor????????????????????? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Lescott costs about £10m btw, maybe less. Worth it. Versatile too. Silvestre or O'Shea should be sold to make way.

Just finished my 1st season. I Won everything! A freaking Miracle xD !

I need a new Goalkeeper! someone who can replace Van Der Sar straight away! don't want any young super talent, i want a world class goalkeeper!

If you know the perfect Goalkeeper, let me know! I'm in desperate need!

Originally posted by DominicForza:

I'm against selling O'Shea. He is versatile and home grown/home trained. Keeping your HG players, and keeping them happy, is a key to long term success.

I have too many anyway so I don't really mind selling him.

Originally posted by lee_the_pea:

id like to post a screenie of my startin lineup formation , ive pressed print screen, but what do i do next??

p.s, thanks for the advice on my question earlier, altho i cant believe someone sold saha for 10 mil, i didnt even get half that

after you press print screen, open microsoft paint then click edit then paste and save as

Originally posted by Evon:

Nani's condition is pathetic. Even Scholes' condition is better ffs. Giggs is much better than Nani. Nani really, doesn't do anything for me. Eagles does better. Eagles!!

Nani is doing great in the AMC spot for me. Did in the demo and is doing in the full game. Better than Scholes but Anderson only got one game and got injured though :[.

I've got Eagles as backup to Ronaldo, he's really not a bad player, first start of the season he whacked in a free kick.

JC_CH07 - I've been using your tactics for nearly one season. I'm finding the home tactic scores loads, concede quite a few mind but win nerarly all home games.

For the away tactics I seem to be drawing far too many. I'm currently second int he league behind chelski. Have you made any more tweaks?

okk bery wierd just beat arsenal 6-2 at home kuranyi bagged a home debut hat-rick and gave the debutant kompany the run around

in a bit of a pickle now becuase rooney scored kuranyi hit 3 took him off for tevez and he came on and scored 2 lol ill have to think bout it

Im fuming at the minute as on the 29th of december the chairman decided to accept Inter Milan's 7.75m bid for pique icon_mad.gif

He was getting a decent number of games for me and playing well too and was certainly an important player for me and would be first choice for many seasons to come but now have lost him.

So any recommendations for another cb to replace him? Evans is out on loan now and made a bid for breno but loads of clubs are after him and bids are 6m+m (6.5m release clause)

After 20 games in the league i am top 2 points clear of chelsea in 1st knockout round of champs lge vs sporting s.final of lge cup vs chelsea and fa cup 3rd round vs aldershot.

League record:

played - 20

won - 15

drawn - 4

lost - 1

Transfers in:

Adriano - loan

miguel veloso - 9.5m

sergey ignasevic sp? - free

henri saivet - minimul compensation

Archived