Who's your go to signing?

So we all start the game with one player in mind, that one player we've either seen play, have in our personal teams youth or full squad or someone you've found in a previous FM?

For instance the early games Messi, Saviola, Tevez, Torres, Kompany, Balotelli and alike!

So who's been your number 1 player over the years?

Cavenaghi, Van den Borre. Guarin. There was a Mexican called Torres who always did well too. Jack Hobbs.  Lebohang Mokoena

They are mostly from 10+ years ago in the FM glory days before it got too bloated with tedious aspects

Edited by trevjim

16 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Cavenaghi, Van den Borre. Guarin. There was a Mexican called Torres who always did well too. Jack Hobbs.  Lebohang Mokoena

They are mostly from 10+ years ago in the FM glory days before it got too bloated with tedious aspects

Wow bro! Cavenaghi, completely forgot about him! Wasn't he from a Argentina based side? Van den Borre also, started as either a right back and swapped to another position or the other way round from his first appearance to the very next game! Guerin haha madness, Viao??? There where a few Mexicans who where good but I do vaguely remember that Torres! Amazing memory dude, blast from the past. I'd say Cavenaghi was possibly the best mentioned!

Edited by MrPeers1981

16 minutes ago, trevjim said:

Just reread your second line and I did get to a point where I thought it was to much tbh myself, but I think it's given it more depth and allows you to really prolong the game if you want to? I think I've 1500 hours on this year's or close too! I love the reading of the stats, all the little things that give it that realism that a day to day manager would have to deal with. But I do agree, I had that feeling for a few years myself 

I try to avoid going for the same players across saves nowadays, and I also try and do different things in saves anyway which helps, but a few years back I’d go for goal scoring wingers like Ocampos and Ferreira Carrasco. Before that it would be Hazard and Douglas Costa.

But the OG must sign for me was Kennedy Bakircioglu.

I avoid this type of cheat. I like to start each save from scratch.

Yet, as I move to a new club(in the same save), I may try to bring key staff and players from previous clubs I coached, as I know them and they know me. 

10 hours ago, trevjim said:

Erick Torres was a beast in FM14 I think, maybe 15? Who was that other Mexican kid who was good as well?

Other names such as Mark Kerr, Kenedy (from Sweden), Tsigalko were always my go to in the older days

46 minutes ago, bigmattb28 said:

Erick Torres was a beast in FM14 I think, maybe 15? Who was that other Mexican kid who was good as well?

Other names such as Mark Kerr, Kenedy (from Sweden), Tsigalko were always my go to in the older days

That's the one! Erik Torres. You are right there was another good Mexican around the same time. I think it was Carlos Fierro

10 hours ago, gunner86 said:

I try to avoid going for the same players across saves nowadays, and I also try and do different things in saves anyway which helps, but a few years back I’d go for goal scoring wingers like Ocampos and Ferreira Carrasco. Before that it would be Hazard and Douglas Costa.

But the OG must sign for me was Kennedy Bakircioglu.

Kennedy was a talent very much so! Does anyone remember when the likes of the Serbian team and Bosnia always had class younger players, one in particular a striker I can't remember!

Also I agree, I try to attempt different approaches to each team regarding there strengths and position. One thing I love is to create tactics the one I'm using in one save for United is this I'll tag!IMG20231011155923.thumb.jpg.e23a847134799ae0ee88f24ba4b77f2d.jpg

I'm sure still plays today!

5 hours ago, phd_angel said:

I avoid this type of cheat. I like to start each save from scratch.

Yet, as I move to a new club(in the same save), I may try to bring key staff and players from previous clubs I coached, as I know them and they know me. 

I agree with the premise it could be seen, not as a cheat as such but loophole. But also I can see real life managers doing the same, ten Haag with Anthony and onana, pep with many, Moyes with Everton, many mangers revert back to players they've worked with. But as what your saying they don't have repeat attempts like we do, so I can see your argument. But have to slightly, respectfully disagree a little bro. With no malice at all!

42 minutes ago, trevjim said:

That's the one! Erik Torres. You are right there was another good Mexican around the same time. I think it was Carlos Fierro

There where a few Mexicans in that era that came through, Vela I think was one?

25 minutes ago, MrPeers1981 said:

Kennedy was a talent very much so! Does anyone remember when the likes of the Serbian team and Bosnia always had class younger players, one in particular a striker I can't remember!

Also I agree, I try to attempt different approaches to each team regarding there strengths and position. One thing I love is to create tactics the one I'm using in one save for United is this I'll tag!IMG20231011155923.thumb.jpg.e23a847134799ae0ee88f24ba4b77f2d.jpg

I'm sure still plays today!

Bojinov?

I don't have any at the moment as I always start saves as low level teams so take whatever players I can get thats better than I have but once over on a few older versions, might even have been the CM days, there was a guy I would sign for any team in any league even when starting with top teams, he was called Scott Huckerby and played for some non league team and could be signed for about £5k. He was a winger and had 3 good attributes, Pace, Acceleration and Dribbling, I think all 3 were 18+ and whether it broke the match engine I don't know but he was an assist king at any level, defenders couldn't handle him. I never see people talking about him on threads like these so maybe he was a more unknown player but he was always my first signing at all clubs.

1 hour ago, Weed07 said:

I don't have any at the moment as I always start saves as low level teams so take whatever players I can get thats better than I have but once over on a few older versions, might even have been the CM days, there was a guy I would sign for any team in any league even when starting with top teams, he was called Scott Huckerby and played for some non league team and could be signed for about £5k. He was a winger and had 3 good attributes, Pace, Acceleration and Dribbling, I think all 3 were 18+ and whether it broke the match engine I don't know but he was an assist king at any level, defenders couldn't handle him. I never see people talking about him on threads like these so maybe he was a more unknown player but he was always my first signing at all clubs.

Spot on 👍🏻

Paul Brooker. Also from the cm days, got him for peanuts, beautiful dribbler, had opp defenders on toast

8 hours ago, MrPeers1981 said:

I've not really heard much if him bro? Do you have a screenshot you could share from your save?

image.thumb.png.210441de6b52b8b15da5895ca89040ab.png

image.thumb.png.91c9a6511b2018b2feef49deb149bfcb.png

I signed him for Brugge in this save then took him to Villarreal with me and now Atletico. Exclusively played out at RM as a Wide Playmaker on Attack in my 4-4-2 and always popped up with a goal in the big games

4 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

image.thumb.png.210441de6b52b8b15da5895ca89040ab.png

image.thumb.png.91c9a6511b2018b2feef49deb149bfcb.png

I signed him for Brugge in this save then took him to Villarreal with me and now Atletico. Exclusively played out at RM as a Wide Playmaker on Attack in my 4-4-2 and always popped up with a goal in the big games

Looks good bro not seen him though before, or at least not stood out? What's the skin your using bro? Looks a little like mustermaan and another mixed?

12 hours ago, MrPeers1981 said:

Looks good bro not seen him though before, or at least not stood out? What's the skin your using bro? Looks a little like mustermaan and another mixed?

It's the Statman skin

[FM23] 5TATMAN (Version 5.0 - Updated 17.09.23) - Skinning Hideout - Sports Interactive Community (sigames.com)

Eder Balanta, when he was still playing at River, is probably the only player I really bought in several different saves. Relatively cheap, good jumping and because of that a guarantee for goals from corners. Then he actually moved to Europe in real life and never came close to reaching his FM potential (which wasn't ever that high in the first place).

Nowadays there aren't really that many "under the radar" players any more and you definitely won't see a completely random super star like in the old CM days.

12 hours ago, KeegBCFC said:

Keeg many thanks dude! I'll take a look at that! 💯 I've tried the new mustermaan one but with the updated attributes and tbh it's great too, and I love the look of your one too. Look pretty similar, with mayeb a little more of a simplified set up! Love it!!

Nicolas Milan was a go to back in the old FM days. Papetti and Fercundo Colido were also gems a few seasons ago. On FM22&23 Tommy St Jago and Taylor Booth were players that I immediately looked at when starting a new save.