442 flat defensive strategy

Hi,

This is not FM23, but I think the principles remain the same.

Is this defensive strategy too passive for you? Do you see something wrong that you'd change?

I have the players for this playing style, most of my attacking players are fast and good jumping reach too. Both of my wingers have at least 15 for jumping reach (I don't know exactly the attribute number because I play with stars, not attributes) . That is also why I don't  "play out of defence", I leave the distribution to be decided by the keeper. If he decides to play long, we can always have a good chance to win it in the air.

Thank you.

jjjjjjjjjjjjjjj.jpg.1333f8a8cf29620ae7221562e7e949a4.jpg

I think that would be fantastic base in the lower/weaker leagues @mikcheck

I'm boring as all hell but I always sense danger when I see a BBM in a 4-4-2, the CM's need to be solid all-rounders, so just keep an eye on the player you use there  

@Cleon thanks!

@Johnny Ace and what if it's a team that is not on the lower/weaker leagues? :D I mean, isn't a viable playing style? I'm playing in Eredivisie and even tho I'm not the best team, I have a good squad for that level. One thing that I find, is that I always have to ask my DLF to man mark the opposition DM or the more defensive MC, otherwise  there is always a man free if they play with a 3 man midfield and it open up gaps in my team.

Other thing that I never know what to use is attacking width because I think it makes sense to go a bit narrower with a 442, but with a balanced mentality, that might be too narrow, resulting in some congestion.

7 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

@Cleon thanks!

@Johnny Ace and what if it's a team that is not on the lower/weaker leagues? :D I mean, isn't a viable playing style? I'm playing in Eredivisie and even tho I'm not the best team, I have a good squad for that level. One thing that I find, is that I always have to ask my DLF to man mark the opposition DM or the more defensive MC, otherwise  there is always a man free if they play with a 3 man midfield and it open up gaps in my team.

Exactly :D It's a wee bit "primitive" in modern football especially when most teams you face will have a DM or AM, even Sean Dyche seems to have twigged on to this 

In all seriousness, I just like using it lower down the leagues then evolve it over the seasons, if it's playing well and getting results, that's all that matters :thup:

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Exactly :D It's a wee bit "primitive" in modern football especially when most teams you face will have a DM or AM, even Sean Dyche seems to have twigged on to this 

In all seriousness, I just like using it lower down the leagues then evolve it over the seasons, if it's playing well and getting results, that's all that matters :thup:

Heavy influence in the Spanish game still via Athletico's 4-4-2 blueprint I think! Villa were running a version this season, not sure if they've gone more aggressive recently.

Athletico's old 4-4-2 system has been interesting of late: you can see bits of the modern box midfield in the space between the midfield and strikers which was designed specifically to win the ball back in the middle of the pitch.

Em 20/04/2023 em 18:06, Johnny Ace disse:

Out of curiosity, which roles you'd use in a flat 442 if you had the players? I use a BBM but is one of my best players and I think he fits the role there, he's good at both positioning and off the ball, work rate and passing.

6 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Out of curiosity, which roles you'd use in a flat 442 if you had the players? I use a BBM but is one of my best players and I think he fits the role there, he's good at both positioning and off the ball, work rate and passing.

My standard 4-4-2 is really simple but find it works well, I've used it the last few FMs, nice and simple

4-4-2.png.73a7ec918f1e92628cbc893ab6633d1f.png

It usually helps drag me through the lower leagues until I can start picking up DMs, AMs and AMLRs 

I waffled about it a bit here, it was the same set up and I was using really low down the footballing pyramid when attributes slapped me in the face :D

I say really low down, I'm in the VNN there so had used it from lv9 or wherever Dynamo Melbourne start off 

Em 23/04/2023 em 14:08, Johnny Ace disse:

My standard 4-4-2 is really simple but find it works well, I've used it the last few FMs, nice and simple

4-4-2.png.73a7ec918f1e92628cbc893ab6633d1f.png

It usually helps drag me through the lower leagues until I can start picking up DMs, AMs and AMLRs 

I know lots of people like to use 2 support duties in a 2 man midfield, but I don't like it, because I always miss someone to stay deeper to be a passing outlet when there's no other passing options.

Edited by mikcheck

10 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I know lots of people use 2 support duties in a 2 man midfield, but I don't like it, because I always miss someone to stay deeper to be a passing outlet when there's no other passing options 

Two Support duties can do that, I sometimes find a CM(D) (other D roles in CM are available) in a 4-4-2 can stay too deep and aren't really picking anyone up. With two CM(S)s they work as a unit, if one goes forward and other one hangs back just a little, enough for me. I think this is where player AI intelligence shows itself a bit ie they don't move up and down the pitch together like robots

It's all personal preference though @mikcheck :thup:

8 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Two Support duties can do that, I sometimes find a CM(D) (other D roles in CM are available) in a 4-4-2 can stay too deep and aren't really picking anyone up. With two CM(S)s they work as a unit, if one goes forward and other one hangs back just a little, enough for me. I think this is where player AI intelligence shows itself a bit ie they don't don't move up and down the pitch together like robots

It's all personal preference though @mikcheck :thup:

Personally, I find carrilero or DLP (s) is perfect fit for this kind of safe passing deep option.

What's great about Support duty on DLP for example is that he will hold position but also be more decisive/proactive in his passing (due to higher individual mentality).

12 hours ago, mikcheck said:

What about the defending duty FB? Would you use support duty with hold position PI instead? 

If you're sticking with the BBM it could be something to try out and see how you feel about what you're seeing 

Personally, you'd have the two CDs and BWM already holding position so I'd think having 4 might restrict things offensively 

51 minutos atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

If you're sticking with the BBM it could be something to try out and see how you feel about what you're seeing 

Personally, you'd have the two CDs and BWM already holding position so I'd think having 4 might restrict things offensively 

Yeah I went for a defend duty because of both BBM and WM(a) and also to try to form a kind of back 3 with the FB(d) and CD's

Il y a 2 heures, crusadertsar a dit :

:D Speaking of good old 4-4-2, I am back to it as my primary tactic. Was getting tired of overly complicated tactics so decided to kick it old-school with a simplistic approach and with a club that has just the right players for this kind of hard-working two banks of four style. 

hodgball.png.3a875a4db2a84025f6dcd287d0f1ee15.png

I have always enjoyed building a tactic around a specific team DNA and this year Wolfsburg seemed to be that team! They have just the right players to fit my hard-defending 4-4-2. Wolfsburg has like 5 players with Aggression, Bravery, DeterminationTeamwork, Workrate, Acceleration and Pace at mostly 15 or higher! Unreal combination of attributes! Not really superstars but young, exceptional hard-working (and physically adept) cogs in the machine to make that 4-4-2 defend and attack as one unit. 

And yes there is some kind of written guide brewing from this soon :lol:

It's not a flat 442 anymore....

25 minutes ago, coach vahid said:

It's not a flat 442 anymore....

Sure, if you want to be pedantic :lol:

FD95D775C1191230F7E2E74AD680BEE9C84C4DF0 (1600×900)

It stays pretty flat to me when it matters. With the support duty, the DM moves up a little and stays in midfield around the same position that defend duty CM would take (my DM has hold position added instruction). While the BBM tends to make more risky late runs into the box. But when they defend they stay deeper around the same strata. 

Edited by crusadertsar

Looks great! I am still unsure about my tactic in VNS down below in England. My last approach with 3ATB was devastating and I am not sure if I go for it again or opt for a simple 442 like @Johnny Ace does in the Lower Leagues.

At dictate the game was a big and very good article about 3ATB in lower leagues but it didn’t work out for me.

Edited by HanziZoloman

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

@crusadertsarsince a flat 442 requires players with good defensive attributes in the middle, in which unit do you put your BBM in? Defensive?

I would say BBM is foremost part of defensive unit. Because when you lose the ball and your team regroups back into their  defensive positions, he has to be able to get back and assist the other midfielder. In 4-4-2 with only two midfielders you don't have the luxury of fielding a completely offensive midfielder like CM(a).

On 28/04/2023 at 19:04, crusadertsar said:

:D Speaking of good old 4-4-2, I am back to it as my primary tactic. Was getting tired of overly complicated tactics so decided to kick it old-school with a simplistic approach and with a club that has just the right players for this kind of hard-working two banks of four style. 

hodgball.png.3a875a4db2a84025f6dcd287d0f1ee15.png

I have always enjoyed building a tactic around a specific team DNA and this year Wolfsburg seemed to be that team! They have just the right players to fit my hard-defending 4-4-2. Wolfsburg has like 5 players with Aggression, Bravery, DeterminationTeamwork, Workrate, Acceleration and Pace at mostly 15 or higher! Unreal combination of attributes! Not really superstars but young, exceptional hard-working (and physically adept) cogs in the machine to make that 4-4-2 defend and attack as one unit. 

And yes there is some kind of written guide brewing from this soon :lol:

I try a lot of tactics and usually try to adapt to various teams but somehow I end up to something similar with yours, except moving B2B to Segundo Volante (At); also some vaiations for players role to adapt to the club I am playing.

2 hours ago, CharlieTZR said:

I try a lot of tactics and usually try to adapt to various teams but somehow I end up to something similar with yours, except moving B2B to Segundo Volante (At); also some vaiations for players role to adapt to the club I am playing.

Nice! And how is this tactic working for you. In FM23?

Here's some details for this last season, including the tactic and instructions I used for the most, sometimes I change the width (I never really know which setting to use here) and much more urgent pressing sometimes too. Results have been meh, considering that I have some good players. I don't know if it's because the ME doesn't favour lower lines (remember this is FM21), but I don't want to believe that

tct.jpg.c6007fe856d5cc3ff3e9b190ff1d713f.jpg 

DE.jpg.8c0e0753c215d3e1ca316a1af2986b1f.jpg DR.jpg.110fdc55c0212e06af14a94db6210c6c.jpg b2b.jpg.48041819063881834e1502947a0304a5.jpg ML.jpg.e194f8d3e1ac98913b5805e57071f666.jpg MR.jpg.69b4159b9067b7168d193a88a9f1069c.jpg

tabela.jpg.4cdae1bacd622bfbb32b06978205e3b4.jpg

casaado.jpg.fdfe8c6a9a39007934059df48327050a.jpg

finaltaa.jpg.0ab40640ace3ca7ea43e56d39be83914.jpg

azfora.jpg.734eaf93ec3fc46183f17a7188e0099f.jpg

foralyon.jpg.3b12d4e680b43ca7516b271c141fd1d2.jpg

inter.jpg.e6157a5d70c47224024290189677e546.jpg

lyoncasa.jpg.f23c37eddd327a34ef837a146bfcf596.jpg

casaschalke.jpg.d8dacf2c703fb550f12dd1b74e423c84.jpg

foratwente.jpg.977a62e30f3aa05b7d1dd993493e0814.jpg

monaco.jpg.6cace121e1289f2a4438a9dbdbe74f8a.jpg

derrotaado.jpg.35d1a8f5a15c7de94808f195ed2d9ec5.jpgazfora.jpg.734eaf93ec3fc46183f17a7188e0099f.jpg

ataque.jpg.73b65b1ab6ecb9e2be4ee858fb45c604.jpg

assist.jpg.799c9336e26bc45e8ccebd9fd5d75d05.jpg

gaoltype.jpg.9e491a50500eb2bb5699117003b2943c.jpg

defesa.jpg.c1f19b34d1ef3e8704d589292a642104.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

I'm sorry for the images, they're too big and the post is not very well presented and somewhat confusing because of that. I hope it doesn't bother you much. I'd just wanted to show you some info about the season with this tactic.

Just another 2, average possession and headers won. I see that the strategy to only buy players that have good jumping reach for the kind of football I want to play (amongst other attributes of course, depending on their position) somehow resulted, as we stand 1st, with 55% ratio. I found that curious

possebola.jpg.6dc1fee9f0b5808e883918d959149fcf.jpg

cabecemaentio.jpg.f0a1c2899e061d8641bc250251ae36a3.jpg

Edited by mikcheck

Jumping Reach is very useful in football but that's pretty interesting @mikcheck

I did a save either last year or the year before were I only brought in players 6'0 plus, was successful and a lot of fun (I hate my players losing aerial duals :lol:

4 minutos atrás, Johnny Ace disse:

Jumping Reach is very useful in football but that's pretty interesting @mikcheck

I did a save either last year or the year before were I only brought in players 6'0 plus, was successful and a lot of fun (I hate my players losing aerial duals :lol:

Yeah I find that it can be useful for this playing style. Not only that but also a keeper with good vision and kicking. That's why I don't select nothing else but counter "in transition". Sometimes his kicks are really stupid and it makes me pull my hair :lol:, but I guess I have do deal with it 

I really like the dual CM(s) setup in a 2 man midfield as well. I use them with Hold Position in my 3-4-3 Flat. Keeps them as a unit in both defense and attack, and will help when outnumbered against formations with 3 man midfields. I look for good all-rounders for the role.

Could work well in a 4-4-2 as well if you have sufficient attacking support from the flanks.

Edited by Argonaut

On 05/05/2023 at 13:27, Johnny Ace said:

While this thread's still going, has anyone given a 4-4-2 DM a go? Jotting down a Man Utd 1993/94 season tactic and think I'll give it a go :D

please don't forget to post here your tactics (I love historical ones).

On 01/05/2023 at 21:01, crusadertsar said:

Nice! And how is this tactic working for you. In FM23?

It works fine but only after I transfer the players I need, usually the clubs I play with go with 4-3-3 (this is my second most played tactic).

I have two tactics which I use depending on the players available, one flat 442 with B2B/BMW combo and one 442 DM with Regista and SV/BMW or even DM. In last case tactic I might move one of the strikers in AMC if he's role/position is much better there. So I am a big fan of 442 in general but tbh the tactic I find the most versatile and especially for small clubs is 433

Am 5.5.2023 um 12:27 schrieb Johnny Ace:

While this thread's still going, has anyone given a 4-4-2 DM a go? Jotting down a Man Utd 1993/94 season tactic and think I'll give it a go :D

In my youth challenge I’ve settled for a 442 DM

A very simple rule of thumb is that roles which come with a lot of hard coded player instructions typically require better players to pull them off i.e. those with more C.A.   So roles like FB Support and CM Support are nice and uncomplicated for lower level players but they may not have the movement needed to succeed as well at elite levels.

Something else to keep in mind with the 442 is forwards that run into the channels.  I've noticed that if they both do this then they can play apart from each other and combine less. Combination heat maps in the data hub will show this with them pulling more toward the wings.  Having at least one of them keeping more central can help provide greater threat.  

1 hora atrás, Robson 07 disse:

A very simple rule of thumb is that roles which come with a lot of hard coded player instructions typically require better players to pull them off i.e. those with more C.A.   So roles like FB Support and CM Support are nice and uncomplicated for lower level players but they may not have the movement needed to succeed as well at elite levels.

Something else to keep in mind with the 442 is forwards that run into the channels.  I've noticed that if they both do this then they can play apart from each other and combine less. Combination heat maps in the data hub will show this with them pulling more toward the wings.  Having at least one of them keeping more central can help provide greater threat.  

I'm using a DLF(a) and a AF as strikers. I also set the DLF(a) to roam and stay wide because on his side he has a BBM and a IW who comes inside. I also find that the Poacher is too static for my liking.

Edited by mikcheck

21 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I'm using a DLF(a) and a AF as strikers. I also set the DLF(a) to roam and stay wide because on his side he has a BBM and a IW who comes inside. I also find that the Poacher is too static for my liking.

The stay wider PI is worth experimenting with.  I think with that the striker should be wider and then cut inwards to the channel; as opposed to moving from in to out which is possibly a type of run more suited to counterattacking style.

I'm using a 4411.  My striker is a poacher in that system as I absolutely want my one and only striker straight down the middle between the posts.  My no.10 is normally a shadow striker who has greater movement and the ability to take defenders away and into the channels.  Occasionally the no.10 becomes a Trequartista if I'm using a highly skilled more creative player but this is where I'd again mention C.A.  Need to have someone that is good enough to pull of the Treq role.

4 horas atrás, Robson 07 disse:

The stay wider PI is worth experimenting with.  I think with that the striker should be wider and then cut inwards to the channel; as opposed to moving from in to out which is possibly a type of run more suited to counterattacking style.

I'm using a 4411.  My striker is a poacher in that system as I absolutely want my one and only striker straight down the middle between the posts.  My no.10 is normally a shadow striker who has greater movement and the ability to take defenders away and into the channels.  Occasionally the no.10 becomes a Trequartista if I'm using a highly skilled more creative player but this is where I'd again mention C.A.  Need to have someone that is good enough to pull of the Treq role.

That's interesting. So you use a SS and a Poacher? I guess you'll need a smart and creative player playing the SS, so he knows where to be and also feed the Pocher. Against teams that sit back, don't you find the Poacher a bit useless there? Do you change his role in those situations?

Also, regarding your 4411, could you mention the other roles you use in your setup?

On 13/05/2023 at 02:38, Robson 07 said:

Totally agree that the "Blank Roles" (CM(s) FB(s) etc) being easier to execute for low quality players (as compared to a BBM who HAS to be complete), but I differ when it comes to them falling off as your team progresses.

I use the Blank Roles to prioritize tactical instruction, since they're entirely customizable in the PIs. That doesn't mean they're weaker with strong players (as far as I understand). 

I'm not a tactical genius by any chance, but this 442 has been working incredibly well for me, it holds it's own on both ends of the pitch against any kind of team. Other facets of the game like man management, training and set pieces are just as important to me to gain an extra edge. As for the positions:

SK - Just the standard goalie, as long he's not a terrible passer

WB - This is where i have my best full back, Grimaldo, and this role allows me to utilize his skillset to it's fullest. He's told to stay wider as he's the attacking outlet on my left side.

BPD - I got great ball playing defenders on the likes of Otamendi and mostly Antonio Silva, playing from the back allows them launch attacks very efficiently.

DC - This is where i put my best jumper, as they are my set piece magnets. My 2 options here, Verissimo and Morato are also quick and capable of dealing with a lot of situations in both the ground and air.

FB - Here I have a very physical and tenacious full back, Gilberto. He's not allowed anything too fancy and he covers the flank while the winger in front of him does his thing.

IW - This is where I would place my best passer. He's told to take more risks and he uses the 'cuts inside with ball' instruction to place himself behind the strikers in the AM strata and play balls into them.

DLP and BBM - Any player that plays these roles must be able to defend well. I place the DLP(de) on the left to cover for the WB's forward runs. This pairing has worked very well to me.

W - A standard winger. I have not been able to utilize this role to it's fullest yet on my team because all my right wingers have a 'cut inside from flanks' trait, so i don't know yet how potentially good this role will work out.

AF - I prefer a quick striker here, as he will be receiving a lot of balls over the top or into space, aerial ability is a bonus here, luckily my strikers (Ramos and Musa) have both.

DLF - I play a more technically gifted striker here. I use Guedes here even though he's mainly a winger/inside forward, but he's technically good enough to play killer balls to the AF and the W, and a competent finisher himself to be on the receiving end of them as well. 

20230514234906_1.jpg

Edited by Canalma

4 hours ago, Canalma said:

I'm not a tactical genius by any chance, but this 442 has been working incredibly well for me, it holds it's own on both ends of the pitch against any kind of team. Other facets of the game like man management, training and set pieces are just as important to me to gain an extra edge. As for the positions:

SK - Just the standard goalie, as long he's not a terrible passer

WB - This is where i have my best full back, Grimaldo, and this role allows me to utilize his skillset to it's fullest. He's told to stay wider as he's the attacking outlet on my left side.

BPD - I got great ball playing defenders on the likes of Otamendi and mostly Antonio Silva, playing from the back allows them launch attacks very efficiently.

DC - This is where i put my best jumper, as they are my set piece magnets. My 2 options here, Verissimo and Morato are also quick and capable of dealing with a lot of situations in both the ground and air.

FB - Here I have a very physical and tenacious full back, Gilberto. He's not allowed anything too fancy and he covers the flank while the winger in front of him does his thing.

IW - This is where I would place my best passer. He's told to take more risks and he uses the 'cuts inside with ball' instruction to place himself behind the strikers and play balls into them.

DLP and BBM - Any player that plays these roles must be able to defend well. I place the DLP(de) on the left to cover for the WB's forward runs. This pairing has worked very well to me.

W - A standard winger. I have not been able to utilize this role to it's fullest yet on my team because all my right wingers have a 'cut inside from flanks' trait, so i don't know yet how potentially good this role will work out.

AF - I prefer a quick striker here, as he will be receiving a lot of balls over the top or into space, aerial ability is a bonus here, luckily my strikers (Ramos and Musa) have both.

DLF - I play a more technically gifted striker here. I use Guedes here even though he's mainly a winger/inside forward, but he's technically good enough to play killer balls to the AF and the W, and a competent finisher himself to be on the receiving end of them as well. 

20230514234906_1.jpg

I find the 4-4-2 is the easiest formation for a non-tactical genius to get a result from. You've also thought about what you want. Your team instructions work well with your only player instruction (LB: Stay Wider) and you've taken into account your player's individual abilities. I also like your use of Guedes as a striker rather than a winger. Good work on using players attributes instead of just what the position says.

2 hours ago, nick1408 said:

I find the 4-4-2 is the easiest formation for a non-tactical genius to get a result from. You've also thought about what you want. Your team instructions work well with your only player instruction (LB: Stay Wider) and you've taken into account your player's individual abilities. I also like your use of Guedes as a striker rather than a winger. Good work on using players attributes instead of just what the position says.

What do you like about using Guedes as a DLF instead of a winger?

Checked out his profile and some of his attributes would leave him restricted to wide dribblely boy for me at least (11 decisions, 11 composure, 12 first touch, 12 vision, 12 strength). IMO he would struggle as a DLF, both in hold up play and in playing in others.