FM23 England Level 10 Challenge

15 minutes ago, Hanxvirenk208 said:

Good evening,

I started a new save with South Liverpool in Level 10.  Thank you Messi for the Database, gracias !!!

I have been playing since FM20 and never reached Level 7, but I still love the game,  :lol:.    I only play Lower League.

For this year I picked Sunday League experienced and minimal coaching knowledge.  I reached the FA Vase Semifinals and finished second in the league (losing the play-off final).  

When I see the amount of points and goals scored in the pictures above, I wonder how much I am still missing.   May I ask something?:  What is your system to recruit such young quality players?  Are those released by Premiership/Championship teams?   

Thank you, gracias!!

De nada.

i just wait for the right players to come available.

not doing any scouting as such yet to save money.

i love lower league, managed to win the premier league on last years game with a team starting at level 10

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid-season progress report has Barrow leading the UCL Division 1 and still in both cups.

We struggled at first, but that's generally down to the fact I don't use the staff search (for added realism) so it took me 4 weeks to get my coach in via a job advert.  We had also played 3 friendlies before I knew the ability and potential of any of the squad.  Once I'd hired a couple of scouts - I don't use the player search either (or "Players in Range" as it is now) - we started to improve the squad but because the scouts judgement is around 3 it's a bit of a revolving door of signings and releases.  Not uncommon for Amateur clubs but I suspect our 28 signings to date is a little more than you would expect.

Hopefully a more settled side for the remainder of the season.

image.png.0a77400843db6bb918d058c86ba7fb4b.png

Sidmouth Town do the treble 2 seasons in a row!!

Unbeaten again in the league!

Great FA Cup run as well, I've never liked Preston! :lol:

Somehow managed to keep hold of Augustus Mcgiff,  despite league 1 teams hovering. (Amateur contract £0)

Fingers crossed we can keep the majority of the squad here, will be tough.

UP THE VIKINGS!!:applause:

Competiton.png

Squad.png

Augugstus Mcgiff.png

On 22/12/2022 at 23:40, Hanxvirenk208 said:

Good evening,

I started a new save with South Liverpool in Level 10.  Thank you Messi for the Database, gracias !!!

I have been playing since FM20 and never reached Level 7, but I still love the game,  :lol:.    I only play Lower League.

For this year I picked Sunday League experience and minimal coaching knowledge.  During my first season, I reached the FA Vase Semifinals and finished second in the league (losing the play-off final).

When I see the amount of points and goals scored in the pictures above, I wonder how much I am still missing.   May I ask something?:  What is your system to recruit such young quality players?  Are those released by Premiership/Championship teams?   

Thank you, gracias!!

I just search for players with high pace, and work off that. The faster, the better for me. Honestly, pace wins matches in the lower leagues. Pacey players, and a simple and straightforward tactic.

Stockport Georgians 22/23

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false

Almost a clean sweep but lost on pens in the league cup final. I somehow managed to secure a National League quality striker in around sept and he tore the place apart as you can see haha

FA Vase - Win

League - win

Trophies - 2

Pts - 40

Hey guys, I'm trying this challenge too :)

With a slight twist: I am only signing players & staff from the borough my club is in (Enfield). So I might be making a lot slower progress than some of you will!

My profile:

Spoiler

1103754842_Screenshot2022-12-26at15_28_08.png.da8621038e1bc881869935d5e594f52d.png

Our first season we managed to finish 5th, losing out in the semi-final of the playoffs.

1316088584_Screenshot2022-12-26at13_00_36.png.9ae4ac44f4687745185f76ca0d6c0fd8.png

2 minutes ago, Motlhen said:

Hey guys, I'm trying this challenge too :)

With a slight twist: I am only signing players & staff from the borough my club is in (Enfield). So I might be making a lot slower progress than some of you will!

My profile:

Reveal hidden contents

1103754842_Screenshot2022-12-26at15_28_08.png.da8621038e1bc881869935d5e594f52d.png

Our first season we managed to finish 5th, losing out in the semi-final of the playoffs.

1316088584_Screenshot2022-12-26at13_00_36.png.9ae4ac44f4687745185f76ca0d6c0fd8.png

Did you start with sunday league reputation? and no coaching badges?

I dont see any post of your manager profile at the start of the game.

3 minutes ago, lionel messi said:

Did you start with sunday league reputation? and no coaching badges?

I dont see any post of your manager profile at the start of the game.

Click the hidden contents. It's there. Definitely Sunday league and no coaching badges.

Started off unemployed and applied to teams that had cool looking names. Stumbled across Cheddar and instantly fell in love. When they offered me a job, I just had to sign the contract! Sorry for the late screenshot of my profile—I didn’t realize I needed to document this until after I had already gone a couple months in-game

3AD5A9D6-E3D6-48B6-872C-7907517132FE.png

Barrow Town - season 2022/23

Winners of the United Counties League Division 1 - 15 points plus a Trophy.
Knocked out in the 5th Round of the FA Vase on penalties.
Knocked out in the 2nd Round of the League Cup.

---

I think we need to find a way of making this challenge harder, especially in the lower leagues.  It's a real shame that all this effort is put into producing such a good database yet managers only ever seem to spend 1 season at each level before getting promoted.

As I have said before, I never use the player search ("Players in Range") so consequently my player pool is reduced by around 95% because I can only ever use players my staff has found/recommended.  And when you have scouts with 2 or 3 judgement ability (these are employed using job adverts, not "Staff Search") you get all sorts of players recommended.  So, in my case, it takes time to get the squad right, but once there it is still relatively straightforward to win promotion.

image.thumb.png.c021f8ef66b72f136e1a87497be419f3.png

Edited by andydick

1 hour ago, andydick said:

Barrow Town - season 2022/23

Winners of the United Counties League Division 1 - 15 points plus a Trophy.
Knocked out in the 5th Round of the FA Vase on penalties.
Knocked out in the 2nd Round of the League Cup.

---

I think we need to find a way of making this challenge harder, especially in the lower leagues.  It's a real shame that all this effort is put into producing such a good database yet managers only ever seem to spend 1 season at each level before getting promoted.

As I have said before, I never use the player search ("Players in Range") so consequently my player pool is reduced by around 95% because I can only ever use players my staff has found/recommended.  And when you have scouts with 2 or 3 judgement ability (these are employed using job adverts, not "Staff Search") you get all sorts of players recommended.  So, in my case, it takes time to get the squad right, but once there it is still relatively straightforward to win promotion.

image.thumb.png.c021f8ef66b72f136e1a87497be419f3.png

Yes it would be better to make it harder but i dont know how we do it and how can we be certain players are following the rules.

One thing i would like to do is only sign players from your local region, but i dont think there is a option in the editor to make this happen.

2 hours ago, lionel messi said:

One thing i would like to do is only sign players from your local region, but i dont think there is a option in the editor to make this happen.

I'm enforcing this rule on myself at the moment and in our 2nd season in tier 10 we are storming the league. 

First season we got in to the playoffs but with a few key additions our squad is in cruise control after after a dozen games so using only regional players might not make a huge difference. The players at other tier 10 clubs really are some of the worst players I've ever come across in FM :lol:

10 minutes ago, Motlhen said:

I'm enforcing this rule on myself at the moment and in our 2nd season in tier 10 we are storming the league. 

First season we got in to the playoffs but with a few key additions our squad is in cruise control after after a dozen games so using only regional players might not make a huge difference. The players at other tier 10 clubs really are some of the worst players I've ever come across in FM :lol:

I know.

I think the problem is other teams cant build squads like we can lol

On 27/12/2022 at 22:12, Motlhen said:

You have to be self-disciplined. I just did a season with an amateur side and recruitment was ridiculous. Every week the recruitment department was finding better and better players who were happy to come, so I was just constantly updating the squad and releasing players who'd been surpassed. I quit at the end - too easy - and returned to my Academy-Only Challenge. Now that's proper hard!

There's a guy here doing a save where he can only recruit from his London Borough of Enfield. I like that.

All Roads Lead to Radstock: Season 2 Summary

After the record-breaking heroics of last season, the question on the lips of every Miners fan was obvious: could they do it again?

With the weight of expectation looming heavy over the club, not to mention having to compete in the coveted FA Cup, as well as playing against tougher sides week in week out, all the signs were pointing to a long, hard campaign. 

That was until former-Tottenham striker, Jaden Williams responded to Radstock's plea to lead the line at the newly refurbished, 450 seater Southfields Recreation Ground. Williams got off to a flyer, almost reaching an average of two goals a game across all competitions, as he helped spearhead the Miners to the first round proper of the FA Cap. Sadly, all fairy tales must come to an end, and after being knocked out by League One MK Dons, Williams suffered a nasty broken ankle that cut his season short.

image.png.6f5dd953b0b5c80b846346fc45e1cdc9.png

Taking over from the injured Williams was local hero and Radstock Town's first bona fide club legend, Jaylan Wildbore, who after getting himself in a bit of a state about the club's refusal to invest in training facilities, calmed down and started doing what he does best, scoring goals by the bucket load. Linking up well with target forward, Rob Street, Wildbore not only managed to secure the Western Premier League's golden boot from under Williams' nose, he also managed to do it with a big chunk of his games coming off the bench. 

image.png.51dc1159217f727c292d6e8189ec968d.png

The quality of Radstock's strikers cannot be overstated, with all three managing more than a goal per game. A special shout out is owed to Isaac Vassell, who was originally brought in from Championship side Cardiff as a target forward. Vassell played the entire season on the wing and managed to smash the most assists record at both club and division level. 

image.png

Powered by an abundance of attacking quality and a highly aggressive 424 formation, Radstock recorded their highest ever finish in the English football pyramid, as they won a second consecutive treble. 

image.thumb.png.8ff635046b99c9405be1235155c5496e.png

But it's not all plain sailing from this point. Following Radstock's promotion, player and staff wages are growing exponentially and Jaden Williams, along with several other key players have already moved onto National League teams. To keep the books balanced and the good times rolling into this long forgotten corner of the world, an FA Cup run next season will be vital.

image.thumb.png.833d7c0acfa966d8478eb1a9f1159c30.png

59 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

You have to be self-disciplined. I just did a season with an amateur side and recruitment was ridiculous. Every week the recruitment department was finding better and better players who were happy to come, so I was just constantly updating the squad and releasing players who'd been surpassed. I quit at the end - too easy - and returned to my Academy-Only Challenge. Now that's proper hard!

There's a guy here doing a save where he can only recruit from his London Borough of Enfield. I like that.

Yep, that's me! 

My scouting emails are almost all 5* A+'s which tells me that there are definitely much better players out there, just not from our borough:

1339432046_Screenshot2022-12-28at16_36_08.png.6d17e34802b29d1a20da2ba657a93962.png

In the first two seasons, I have managed to bring in 3 signings + 5 loanees to boost on the players from Enfield coming through our youth intakes. It's definitely a smaller pool of players, but like @lionel messi said:

On 27/12/2022 at 15:24, lionel messi said:

I think the problem is other teams cant build squads like we can lol

...so it's not been too difficult down at level 10.

How are you finding doing it youth academy only?

4 minutes ago, Motlhen said:

How are you finding doing it youth academy only?

It's totally different and much more challenging. You can't grab all those A+ stars who'd never join you in the real world; instead, you have to make the most of what you get. It means putting all your effort into finding the best staff and investing in infrastructure in order to gradually improve the quality of your intake. Promotions every season would be a disaster - each new intake needs two or three years to bed in. So you go for an evolutionary approach and accept set-backs with good grace. Also, you get to KNOW your boys - in the save I just finished, I'd have a player in for a couple of months then bin him when an upgrade came along. With a YA save, you're going to nurture these kids and see them grow over years.

In the real lower leagues, like in this challenge, you can throw many of your new kids straight into league football too - you don't need to have them develop in the Under 18s for years like you would at a higher level. In my view, it's THE way to play starting in Level 10.

2 hours ago, avzbruvz said:

Looks like an awesome challenge, so I thought I would have a crack as well.

image.png.7c290f7cdb59fa1480752255a0a1bc61.png

image.thumb.png.d37974f548caa847e6cb5728b707a947.png

I was considering Tower Hamlets, but seeing as someone else has chosen them I won't. I kind of like the sound of Montpelier Villa. Sounds like a good team to win the Champions League with lol.