Are youth intakes overpowered in FM23?

Sure, you can't get "too many" great talented youngsters but playing 3 seasons with Manchester United I got one 5 star potential youngster in every intake, one of them was first team ready at 15 years old. Realistically speaking, how many "superstar" youngsters Manchester United's academy produced in the last 5 years except for Greenwood? Garnacho might be one from his form this season.

In older versions with Manchester United I was getting a superstar potential like every 5 years or so or even less I think.

In the first intake I got this guy who still got some way to go before some league action:

image.thumb.png.534eda822b64ed012efba40146877999.png

In the second intake I got this guy who is first team(or at least rotation) ready:

image.thumb.png.45106c3aa2459201a602a159844d027b.png

And just now I got this guy who is way off first team and probably will never be a star but could be a nice backup and fill the homegrown quota:

image.thumb.png.1da91fa093f6702a7757eda168754e80.png

Anybody else gets OP youth intakes or I just won the RNG lottery?

The game is easy as it is without my youth academy producing me great talents every year.

That goes against all the feedback people have been posting suggesting there are too few high PA players after a few seasons on FM23.

I guess playing as United you are going to get those kind of players, the likes of Barca and Ajax too. I play as Everton and in my many years of playing FM, I think I've only ever had one truly world class player come through. I tend not to bother now as the chances of getting anything other than an awful intake is remote. I tried reloading about 50 times one year and still couldn't get it above an 'average' intake, which then produced no players above 2 stars.

18 minutes ago, busngabb said:

That goes against all the feedback people have been posting suggesting there are too few high PA players after a few seasons on FM23.

I guess playing as United you are going to get those kind of players, the likes of Barca and Ajax too. I play as Everton and in my many years of playing FM, I think I've only ever had one truly world class player come through. I tend not to bother now as the chances of getting anything other than an awful intake is remote. I tried reloading about 50 times one year and still couldn't get it above an 'average' intake, which then produced no players above 2 stars.

Strange, in FM21 and 22 I was getting average intakes too for the most part and I was getting a great youngster like every 5 years or less(and I played with Ajax, United and Barca).

"That goes against all the feedback people have been posting suggesting there are too few high PA players after a few seasons on FM23."

Maybe the distribution balance of said youth is rubbish?

Edited by SergeiG

There's a lot of randomness to Youth Intakes, a lot of margin for error in star ratings, and a lot of players with 160 potential will never get near it. So I'm not sure you can judge the whole system from three intakes with one of the best academies in the game. 

(And I say that as someone who ran a test save with Man Utd with an editor opened and got a 200PA player, two 160+PA players and half a dozen 140PA+ players in his first intake!)

As for the current academy, Garnacho and probably Mainoo are the superstar potentials since Greenwood. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee either of them will get regular football in the top division, but potential doesn't have to be fulfilled to be potential.

Edited by enigmatic

2 hours ago, enigmatic said:

There's a lot of randomness to Youth Intakes, a lot of margin for error in star ratings, and a lot of players with 160 potential will never get near it. So I'm not sure you can judge the whole system from three intakes with one of the best academies in the game. 

(And I say that as someone who ran a test save with Man Utd with an editor opened and got a 200PA player, two 160+PA players and half a dozen 140PA+ players in his first intake!)

As for the current academy, Garnacho and probably Mainoo are the superstar potentials since Greenwood. Of course, there's absolutely no guarantee either of them will get regular football in the top division, but potential doesn't have to be fulfilled to be potential.

Wow, cant say it ever happened to me. I had some talent coming from the academy in past years but as I said, last year I had a long save((15 games years or so) with United and my academy produced maybe 2 or 3 superior players. The rest developed to be average at best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • FrazT changed the title to Are youth intakes overpowered in FM23?
10 hours ago, SergeiG said:

4th season, got 2 more great talents:

image.thumb.png.2597cc48d08005b588054d764b69f873.png

image.thumb.png.39fb167bf0ad2eb398abcdb7d38be54e.png

No superstars here but might become fine players if their potential is high enough

They don't look very good at all.

In particular, one has the Low Determination personality trait which in my experience hinders development.

6 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

They don't look very good at all.

In particular, one has the Low Determination personality trait which in my experience hinders development.

Determination doesn't matter anyway. With some tutoring it will improve drastically tho.

EDIT:

By the way, starting atributes are nice but if the player got enoght potential and an OK personality, thats more important, look at him:

image.thumb.png.4882d591e4ffe82e738580fe70e30f31.png

3 years ago his starting attributes were really, terrible. Now he is 19 and looks like a fine prospect and he still got lots of room to grow, according to my staff at least.

Edited by SergeiG

"Are youth intakes overpowered in FM23?"

I don't think so. My intakes at Rangers have been very random in terms off potential range. One or two great potentials over 3 years who will linger in the club developing maybe one will attract interest from down south in a few years. The rest will fall down the leagues in Scotland.

If the whole system was broke or over generous, I'd be seeing it here.

Tbh, I'd expect Manchester United to pull and attract some big potential youths yearly. Whether they amount to it is a different story.

First season yes, then (weirdly) as facilities improve the quality goes down south.

Presume this is due to upgrade disruption? 

I'd say the players are on part under par for what I am used to seeing these past several years.

Does anybody know what type of affiliate you need to ask for, for the players to come through your intake? The questions when you request look a bit different this year (for example, i asked for an affiliate that improved our scouting knowledge but when the options came back none of them said players will come through as a benefit)

I'm in 2027 with Sampdoria (with maxed out facilties, recruiting, etc... and it costed a lot of money...) and didn't got a single decent player in any of the intakes since start of the game. My best "prospect" from the youth intake is a 3.5 max potential player... and by the time he's 20 my team likely improve so he'll go to 2.5 or 3 by that time.

So in my opinion they aren't op at all.