[FM23] & [FM24] Ernst Happel Challenge - If at First You Don't Succeed, Try, Try Again

SixPointer

• Replies 794
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Real Madrid are definitely a fitting destination for this stage. It’s actually quite surprising that no one else came knocking after such success!

Speaking of success, incredible threepeat with Benfica, and to do so while making a profit…

On 29/10/2023 at 05:22, Lestri said:

Be interesting to see my countryman Big Ange goes replacing you!

Seems to have done well in the game. I’m from Scotland and he had Celtic playing the most exciting football. Seems like he’s already on his way with Spurs also. 

On 29/10/2023 at 05:22, 13th Man said:

Real Madrid are definitely a fitting destination for this stage. It’s actually quite surprising that no one else came knocking after such success!

Speaking of success, incredible threepeat with Benfica, and to do so while making a profit…

Thanks, three in a row is probably my biggest achievement in terms of trophy in FM. I was for a very long time a one club save often taking teams back to we’re the belong. Or trying to topple a super power which also leads on nicely to why I’m happy real came calling. It’s somewhere I would never ever ever start. 

On 29/10/2023 at 10:45, Carambau said:

Finally where you belong :) Good luck and hala Madrid!

Well doesn’t get much bigger safe to say that 

This is like @SixPointer on steroids! Where on earth has this fast playing time been over the last three years?! I've been away and expected a month or so, not three seasons and not three seasons of such high quality! Enjoy the fruits of your labour at Real and, despite the wealth of money, I hope you enjoy instilling your principals.

1 hour ago, _Ben_ said:

This is like @SixPointer on steroids! Where on earth has this fast playing time been over the last three years?! I've been away and expected a month or so, not three seasons and not three seasons of such high quality! Enjoy the fruits of your labour at Real and, despite the wealth of money, I hope you enjoy instilling your principals.

Thanks man! Changed the style up abit to speed up my writing. It’s always that which slows me down. Plus I didn’t have to do a lot of tactical tweaking being the best team in the league. I feel like the updates don’t have my usual tactical feel but I wanted this challenge put to bed before I leave for work in November.

Real should be interesting 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the silence. Been on holiday in New York. Back to reality today and back to the game. Get this put to bed.

Got a lot of catching up to do on everyone else’s threads and saves. But I can’t wait to see how everyone is doing in FM24

4 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Sorry for the silence. Been on holiday in New York. Back to reality today and back to the game. Get this put to bed.

Got a lot of catching up to do on everyone else’s threads and saves. But I can’t wait to see how everyone is doing in FM24

New York City or New York State?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Glad to see you still playing! 4 UCL's in a row would be a real achievement!

Yeah it’s been a slow burner this season. I have been home from work for two months, but with 4-6 month trip in Africa coming up I’ve been busy. I’ve had a good few holidays and been enjoying the weekends which leads to hangovers and less game time :lol:

Plus since 24 came out I’ve felt the system Is so over powered I’m scoring over 200 goals a season in all comps. Plus everyone likes a new save for new game but I won’t have that till after the Africa work is done. There will be very little game time and Certainly no write up time but I may try 🤣

b52c0987a41168aa2d9237918f9563d3.gif

The first season in Madrid was extremely successful, a league, Champions league and Spanish cup.

League Table - Villarreal fought valiantly but in the end, came up short. Our stats overall were most impressive.

Champions League - Things got off to a very shaky start, but we battled hard and in the end Franz made it four in a row.

e693ae864ca04b6232bafcdf5be37141.png

A huge amount of money was spent to achieve our goals, although our turnover covers the cost. We broke our transfer record for Tino to follow Franz. He did become world player of the year.

The squad was aging at Madrid while packing some serious talent but I really dont have the time to deep dive at this moment as I head back to work. I'll do a squad overview.

Urrita became our new number one, Granny, Fonseca and Marco joined tino in coming from Benfica to add some known quality. Issac, Marlon, Klynge added some Talent.

Zarate came from our old rivals in an attempt to anchor the center of difference which became a weak spot. He broke his nations record.

Squad Overview - As you can see a few legends remained in the shape of Vini Junior, Tchouaméni and Camavinga. Kulusevski and Scalvini had been added which made up the spine of the team. Carlos, Vegas and Ebrar Çalık were the big talents when i arrived.

Sorry for the absolute rush of writing this i really just want the challenge done now, im bored of the save and want to start a fresh for FM24. I think all i require now is 2 league titles, 1 cup and one club world cup which i now qualify for.

2 hours ago, SixPointer said:

Managed to put some sort of update out :lol: while my flight is delayed 

A productive use of your time :thup:

Good luck with the rest of the challenge. I'm wondering what you'll do next... you seem to have been following Herr Happel for years :)

2 hours ago, warlock said:

A productive use of your time :thup:

Good luck with the rest of the challenge. I'm wondering what you'll do next... you seem to have been following Herr Happel for years :)

I’m thinking about something similar in South America. But I really don’t have much time on my hands. In Angola I’ll be 12 hours 6 days a week. It’s not like Norway we’re I do 9 hours.

i need to find a way of doing a seasonal update but still have it packing a punch with tactics etc. that way I could maybe write and play. 

On 10/12/2023 at 14:44, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck in Angola, Africa can be a great experience.

Full respect for wanting to finish the challenge, but if you're bored of the save as you said, and want something new on FM24, and current/future time is limited....;)

So far it’s been tough adjusting to the heat, my Scottish skin is not used to it quite yet. Normally takes 2/3 weeks much like it did when I worked in Brazil and Malaysia.

Work is crazy so there is no point in starting a new save, I literally have zero time. I haven’t even set it latop up yet. 🙃

I have this Sunday off so I’ll go for a speed-play season

• 2 weeks later...

176e8221d17da4c6a86f25f3c1285929.png

Competitions overview - Villarreal run us close in the La Liga title race. A couple of minor cups came our way to make up a treble of sorts. Barcelona knocked us out of the Champions League and Bayern defeated us in the Club World Cup.

Three Legends -  The Saudis came and snapped up three club legends, it was their time to go and enjoy the twilight of their careers and make a small fortune.

Record BreakerJosé Antonio Gallastegi arrived for a world record fee, although it was topped later on in the window. He hit 12 goals and 8 assits as he looked to fill the void of world player of the year Aurelien Tchouameni's depature.

With the club world out of my grasp, one league title is all that remains.

21 minutes ago, Hootieleece said:

Congratulations on continuing this SAGA!

What league title is out of your hands?

The club World Cup. The next one isn’t for another three years. I don’t intend on carrying on that much longer. Another title and I feel that’s it completed 

The machine I use at work is broken and we can’t get parts until Friday potentially later. This should give me the time to wrap this challenge up!

again I’m sorry for the lack of depth in recent times, but I want it over the line. I’m not really sure what to do for my next save writing will be limited but I do have every Sunday off which means I can get something on the go. Open to some suggestions. 

Since your now in Angola. See if you can find a decent database of playable African Teams and trying to dominate the continent.  I know that only S. African Teams come with Standard DB.

See if you can find the team closest to your drill site to being the best team in Africa!

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Since your now in Angola. See if you can find a decent database of playable African Teams and trying to dominate the continent.  I know that only S. African Teams come with Standard DB.

See if you can find the team closest to your drill site to being the best team in Africa!

Suppose that could be a good idea. I had been toying with South America. Been a long time since I done Argentinos juniors for my Gasperini tactical write up. 

3 hours ago, SixPointer said:

The machine I use at work is broken and we can’t get parts until Friday potentially later. This should give me the time to wrap this challenge up!

again I’m sorry for the lack of depth in recent times, but I want it over the line. I’m not really sure what to do for my next save writing will be limited but I do have every Sunday off which means I can get something on the go. Open to some suggestions. 

Personally, I think you do your best work outside of the top leagues - you're much like me in terms of recruitment and that certainly helps with that. I'll be following wherever you end up though!

3 hours ago, _Ben_ said:

Personally, I think you do your best work outside of the top leagues - you're much like me in terms of recruitment and that certainly helps with that. I'll be following wherever you end up though!

That’s what intrigues me about South America, I would naturally be a feeder club to Europe regardless of my end point on the continent, so even if I ended up at a powerhouse I would still have to work for it and change squads about.

Benfica I lost a huge element off it but still done great deals, at Real I lost the whole appetite for the save as I could pretty much do as I pleased with little research. If it hadn’t been for the quest to complete the challenge I would have started a new.

half way through the current season so it should hopefully be finished by the morning as I’m on 12 hours nightshift with no work on going. It’s almost like being paid to play footy man, my dream job!

3 minutes ago, keeper#1 said:

Paid to play footy.  Sounds like my job as an at-home travel agent.  When I'm on hold with travel suppliers for clients, I fire up FM and play.  

Are you looking for any new employees? I have some excellent world travel experience  :lol: 

dd622e9b3be9bd63050dde85dd95c356.png

And that folks is a wrap. The final trophy in my quest to emulate the great Ernst Happel.

4f12847f7f925c558f354b88fc21234f.png

On the whole it was a poor season in truth, especially after spending well over 400m on three players, in a push to win one more champions league. Runners up on the domestic cup front, knocked out by Chelsea after going 2-0 down in the first leg at Stamford Bridge.

An old friend in Palmeirim was a 230 million outlay, the man who won Franz his first UCL at Benfica but while he scored plenty of goals it wasn't enough to bring the Austrian one more.

6d100899c223a927dc36caf1a22f5155.png

The Austrian hall of fame is a great place to show the comparison of Franz and the man he aspired to be. 8 domestic divisions each, Franz with 4 more domestic cups, and 3 more other trophies. 

In total Franz won the FA cup in Austria with SV Ried, Two Belgian cups and two league titles with standard liege, three league titles in portugal, four league cups and two FA cups, three champions leagues in a row with benfica. He carried on that run with his fourth one in a row at Real Madrid, along with three La Liga titles in a row, one spanish cup and one copa del rey.

He ranks 6th in the worldwide hall of fame among some of the greatest managers to grace the earth.

At SV Ried he left a long standing legacy, his hometown club he installed hope after three years at the helm brought a cup win and three runner up finishes. A club known for yo-yoing between the divisions it went on to finish in the top three of the next 8 out of 9 seasons after Franz left, showing the foundations of his plan left a long lasting mark.

Standard Liege had a similar turn of fortunes when the Austrian arrived, and after his departure. They went on to win the next three Belgian titles in a row and did two cup doubles with them. They tailed off a little, but in 2033 they almost completed a famous treble just missing out on the conference league, to go along with the domestic double.

Benfica is perhaps where his legacy was cemented and incredible three champions league wins in a row shocked the world, however Ange his predecessor has shown that it can still be done as he brought home the UCL for a sixth time! from the portuguese capital to the spanish, and arguably the world's biggest club, the first season was a huge success, boasting a team full of legends he raced to his fourth UCL, after disassembling the squad he found it hard to reach the glorious heights in europe but maintained the league titles.

Conclusion

First of all i would like to thank everyone who participated in this journey with me, everyone's input however small or large is really appreciated it makes the save so much more enjoyable.

I think it's clear to see my interest in save really dropped off after the move to Real Madrid. I don't think it helped that my personal life got busy around the same time. The drop of FM24 didn't help as I found my system to be massively overpowered.

All in all I came to do what I set out to do and while I apologize for the vague posts towards the end, I really wanted to finish the challenge to the best of my ability after two cracks at it over two and half game cycles.

Whats next, first up i need to find a good yearly update model i can use to still deliver a good story, tactical workings and of course results as my time is highly restricted i can't go down the road of monthly updates, i only have one day a week to play and at my speed of play when fully immersed it's difficult to see a plan.

I don't see myself moving away from journeymen save, I may just start unemployed on a continent and see what happens, and may not even write about it as i feel i can't really do it justice. 

As it stands I am tied between a South American story after reading the Tears at la Bombonera book on my holidays or a crazy African journey due to me working here.

piece out SixPointer

11 hours ago, Lestri said:

Look forward to where you go with FM24! 

Thanks man. I definitely need something new it’s clear in the writing at the end of this challenge.

I think it will be a while before I get something up and running. I need to make a template for updates which allows me to play the game at a good pace but still be informative. I really do have limited time so it’s about finding that balance.

The next save won’t have hard rules, I’ll purely look for a realistic type of save. 

Edited by SixPointer

7 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Congratulations on finishing the challenge, what an amazing journey this has been. :applause:

As for your new save, how about a good old one in the Nordics or the Baltics? :brock:

Thanks for your support the whole way bro!

The nordics I done a couple of saves in Norway, with Odd being pretty recent. So don’t fancy that.

I thought about Baltic’s, or trying to win the UCL with an Eastern European team something that’s not happened since the days of Red star and Steau Bucharest.

South America has my attention at the minute because I read a book about football there on my summer holidays.

i have also given thought to a potential national team save as that would allow me the speed of play and time to write up while working long hours with no time off. 

• 3 months later...