Defence-First Football - Winning Champions League with Club Outside of Europe's Elite (UPDATED on Dec 11, 2022)

49 minutes ago, The3points said:

Is there a reason why you didn't use pass into space? Or do you think that would be overkill with the direct passing

Good point. I use pass into space as a more situational instruction. Usually for times when the other team is pressing us more and leaving more space behind their defence. Basically it's my way to enhance the chance of counter. But I wouldn't use it against all opposition because against teams that sit deeper it will just waste possession. And like you said we already employ more direct passing.

Edited by crusadertsar

10 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Nice read! Looking forward for more.

Don't you think you'll lack width on the left side with a WB(d) and IW?

Had that thought too. I'm experimenting with that whole flank still to be honest. But i did a few things to temper it. Just to try to make that wingback act a bit more defensively than his partner on the righty. In typical Mourinho style. 

Firstly, I told IW to stay wider. Then I added "overlap on the left" in order to increase the individual mentality of the left WB. It's not as high as right WB's mentality but should be high enough to make him venture forward more than a purely defensive wingback. Also the main player I use there has "get forward" trait.

So overall the goal is have the left side act more conservatively and support the attacking right side as well as the CM(a). But i would still like left wingback to join the attack when he deems it safe enough.

Hope this makes some sense.

4 hours ago, bosque said:

Nice thread, I love Mourinho and mid & low blocks. Are you sure Step Up More is the same as mark tighter? 

That's what I was thinking 🤔 Really not sure as I am bit frustrated with lack of "tight marking". Don't know why they had to remove it. "Tight marking" was pretty much a requirement in all my previous Mourinho-inspired tactics. And when I read the description for "Step up" part of it sounds like old tight marking. But I'm definitely concerned about part that says that defenders will move up. That's definitely not what I'm looking for in my decence. I just want my defenders to really work hard and stick like dogs on opponents within their limited compact area. And not to act like headless chickens in your typical high-pressing overload attack tactic. 

Really don't know why they got rid of "tight marking". Maybe one of the tactics moderators like @Experienced Defender or @Rashidi or game devs who are in the know could shine more light on this. 

Edited by crusadertsar

3 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

That's what I was thinking 🤔 Really not sure as I am bit frustrated with lack of "tight marking". Don't know why they had to remove it. "Tight marking" was pretty much a requirement in all my previous Mourinho-inspired tactics. And when I read the description for "Step up" part of it sounds like old tight marking. But I'm definitely concerned about part that says that defenders will move. That's definitely not what I'm looking for in this tactic. I just want my defenders to really work hard and stick like dogs on opponents within their limited compact area. And not to act like headless chickens in your typical high-pressing overload attack tactic. 

Really don't know why they got rid of "tight marking". Maybe one of the moderators like @Experienced Defender or @Rashidi or game devs who are in the know could shine more light on this. 

I think I hear rashidi said that Step Up More is like the old "Offside trap" and his opposite, Drop Deeper is your defensive line dropping to defend against balls over the top. And in other video I think he said Mark tighter is now a player instruction. Here is the video talking about Step Up More and Drop Deeper:

Edited by bosque

7 minutes ago, bosque said:

I think I hear rashidi said that Step Up More is like the old "Offside trap" and his opposite, Drop Deeper is your defensive line dropping to defend against balls over the top. And in other video I think he said Mark tighter is now a player instruction. Here is the video talking about Step Up More and Drop Deeper:

Makes more sense now! Thanks :thup:

So now I think I would just remove "step up more". Just leave that part on default (no drop off either). And try to implement more of a split block by instructing specific individual players to press more and mark tighter. 

Edited by crusadertsar

4 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Don't you think you'll lack width on the left side with a WB(d) and IW?

In FM23 WB(D) 's are much more aggressive than previous versions of the game. 

I have a WB(D) with a few dribble more type PPM' s and even with a dribble less team instruction and a balanced team mentality with no overlap or underlap to up his personal mentality he's leading the league in dribbles per 90, and still pushes up to the byline for crosses, he's just not so hellbent on doing so, he does it much more situationaly. Basically his first instinct is to take the ball and lay it off to someone else but if there is space for him to run into he'll do so quite regularly. 

Edited by 1twoQ

27 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Makes more sense now! Thanks :thup:

So now I think I would just remove "step up more". Just leave that part on default (no drop off either). And try to implement more of a split block by instructing specific individual players to press more and mark tighter. 

Depends on the Mourinho side you are choosing however: Porto and at times RM had a high line with offside trap

8 minutes ago, 1twoQ said:

In FM23 WB(D) 's are much more aggressive than previous versions of the game. 

I have a WB(D) with a few dribble more type PPM' s and even with a dribble less team instruction and a balanced team mentality with no overlap or underlap to up his personal mentality he's leading the league in dribbles per 90, and still pushes up to the byline for crosses, he's just not so hellbent on doing so, he does it much more situational. Basically his first instinct is to take the ball and lay it off to someone else but if there is space for him to run into he'll do so quite regularly. 

I feel like we will need to use fewer team instructions before hand and pay a lot more of attention on what players do with the role and duty we give them. Me likey.

Keen to see how this plays out. I have a similar style myself but use a HB instead of a BWM(s) in the DM position. I trap the opposition inside and try to stop crosses (mainly because my CBs are crap at heading) as I feel with WBs or FBs on support they may get caught out of position and then you're midfielders will be deliberately pushing your opponents outside to empty space, further spreading your team thin on a quick counter.

I say all that but I'm pretty trash at this game, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this :)

52 minutes ago, Paris Hilton's Lover said:

Keen to see how this plays out. I have a similar style myself but use a HB instead of a BWM(s) in the DM position. I trap the opposition inside and try to stop crosses (mainly because my CBs are crap at heading) as I feel with WBs or FBs on support they may get caught out of position and then you're midfielders will be deliberately pushing your opponents outside to empty space, further spreading your team thin on a quick counter.

I say all that but I'm pretty trash at this game, so I'll definitely keep an eye on this :)

Yeah, wingback is one position that's a bit tricky to get right in this formation. I'm trying out the current set-up and it seems to be working alright. For now at least in the pre-season games.

I know that Mourinho usually likes to play with one fullback/wingback that sits back and one that goes forward more. For the more attacking one I would not use one with attack duty because, whether fullback or wingback, he would be too obsessed with crossing at every opportunity and dribbling towards the byline. For that reason I find WB(S) on the right to be a good compromise. And you definitely need a more dynamic, proactive wingback role to play behind Raumdeuter (or Inside Forward) in order to give him adequate support. FB(s) with some individual traits like "get further forward" and "hug the line" could probably do just as well. But I'm looking to create a system that is less player specific and more universal to variety of teams.

On the left, it's a little more tricky. I tried FB(s) and I found his behaviour to a bit too risky. So I was looking for a more conservative alternative without venturing into No nonsense fullback territory or fullback (defend). Wingback on Defend seems to have exactly what I am looking for. His "conservative" (due to overlap on left) individual mentality as opposed to "balanced" for right wingback is what makes all the difference. While testing I see a lot of smart behavior from this player. He tends to stay back more when out of possession. But when we get the ball back and go safely on attack he turns into a more adventurous role and isn't afraid to venture forward, cross and provide more width on the left flank. He just does it more carefully than a wingback on support would do. This makes for a good counter balance to my attacking CM (or mezzala if you have the player) on left side and more cautious carrilero to balance the wingback (support) on right.

Edited by crusadertsar

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

@crusadertsar did you try to play with "invite crosses" selected? I guess that's the same as narrow defensive width? I think it's logical for that type of football.

For now I'm just trying to see how it works with the least possible instructions. Not to overcomplicate it even more. But it's probably a good shout to enhance the style of football. And you have to be careful and make sure that your defenders are capable of dealing with extra crosses. 

Edited by crusadertsar

Em 28/10/2022 em 19:13, crusadertsar disse:

For now I'm just trying to see how it works with the least possible instructions. Not to overcomplicate it even more. But it's probably a good shout to enhance the style of football. And you have to be careful and make sure that your defenders are capable of dealing with extra crosses. 

Keep us updated :)

On 30/10/2022 at 20:09, crusadertsar said:

UPDATE: On the Low Block, Mid Block and and Everything In Between

Here I just wanted to expand more on how I have my team (Sparta Prague) defend and attack. The two key areas of any tactic.

The general aim is to have my players defending in a compact mid block. Sort of. I see it as more of hybrid between a low block and midblock. By congesting the midfield with their bodies (that 3-men midfield certainly helps) and being extremely dogged and determined in small area of space will hopefully increase our odds of regaining the ball and launching a successful counter. 

What is great about mid block is that it that our defending is not confined to the area immediately around our goal which risks giving too much room to the opposition to overwhelm us. This is the main goal of a traditional low block tactic.

And neither is it too intense and stamina-draining to our own players like a high-pressing high block strategy would be. I always like a more balanced strategy which can be maintained for the whole 90 minutes rather than an extreme one which can tire your players out on both sides of the field. In the case of high press, no team can realistically expect to have its players chase the ball around and press for the whole match. Neither can they defend against constant opposition attacks if they are always stuck in the lowblock. 

Thus a strategy that is sort of a balance middle between the two blocks (low and high) is what I aim for. It has the best of both worlds. We defend very intensely, like in a high press, but in a much smaller area (and in my opinion where it counts). And then we rely on the pace and finishing ability of my attackers to perform lethal counters, a bit like in low-block except it can happen much more frequently and my players don't need to run as far up the field. Nevertheless with our lower line of engagement, the space for our attackers to run into should still be there. Much more so than in a high-pressing tactic. 

So all of my out-of-possessions instructions are geared to enhance the intensity of our defending withinin the compact block formed between our forwards and defenders. This zone starts just at the half-line and this is where I want my players to regain the ball. Neither low before our goal, nor too high in the opposition zone. This balance also allows us to maintain relatively low tactical intensity level. 

tac1.png.251b41c3f293e33bfaf675dc98e03d9e.png

And closer look at our defending out of possession instructions

tac3.png.0aa30f687b98cc73a769286055138b61.png

Due to the absence of "mark tighter" team instruction in this year's version of FM, I have decided to relegate some important instruction to players individually. 

tac2.png.f364ba55a4ce4f2b6fa1e35e5cc5374d.png

Regarding my attack, in-possession set up, it's very simple and intuitive. It's main focus is help us create a pp a r in the final third, especially via one on one situations. Hence the combination of attack and support duties. Basically I use wide forwards to cut inside (IW and Raumdeuter) in order to pin down the opposition central defenders. And at the same time my central striker (DLF on attack to give him higher positioning during counters) dropping and holding up the ball. This allows him to either exploit the space between the lines or occupy the opposition Defensive Midfielder. Finally, both of my wingbacks will give us more width on the flanks. Although left Wingback (Defend) will do so more conservatively than the more adventurous Wingback (S) on the right flank.

So that is it! The latest version of the tactic. And now back to testing it with the Beta, before the final release when the full game comes out. Let me know what you think :)

Hi mate how does the underlap fit in if you want your WB(L) to hold his width?

4 hours ago, axehan1 said:

Hi mate how does the underlap fit in if you want your WB(L) to hold his width?

It could just as well be overlap. In both cases the individual mentality of the left wingback goes up and he makes more moves forward. Just not as much as a wingback on support would do. Anyway that's how it looks in ME and I tested both "underlap" and "overlap" instructions. 

Edited by crusadertsar

1 hour ago, yann said:

I tried the last tactic version with fulham, work well for now, after 17 games, fulham is in 5 position, really good.

Only issue i see is the Car underperform on all games.

Carrilero can be changed into B2B if you have a very well-rounded player. But be careful against tougher opposition. You might lose a bit of the defensive stability in place of more attacking dynamism. Sometimes it's one or the other. So you have to choose your battles based on the match. I just prefer my CM(a) to make more runs forward rather than the wingback. Hence the choice of "underlap". For now.

Edited by crusadertsar

14 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

Hey tsar i wanted to ask, is to a mourinho tactic more important the trigger press or the get stuck in ?

Both. You want to press hard and tackle hard but within a relatively small area. Compressed and compact but make life very difficult for opposition.

5 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

Alright thanks for the answer, i was also kinda surprised by the fact you put trap inside option because usually you used either the trap outside or just leave it as it is

Yeah I know.  I think it works really well now in compressing the defensive area. Before I didn't find it was working as well in FM21 and FM22

:thup: Also, is Target Forward a role i could use instead of a dlf-at, cuz i don't feel it completes the style that much as i had cases in which the role was more usable in more possesion based tactics. Another question would be, do you think direct passing is more of a trait of a Mourinho tactic than higher tempo

36 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

:thup: Also, is Target Forward a role i could use instead of a dlf-at, cuz i don't feel it completes the style that much as i had cases in which the role was more usable in more possesion based tactics. Another question would be, do you think direct passing is more of a trait of a Mourinho tactic than higher tempo

I don't think Mourinho really goes specifically after more direct passing. He is definitely more direct than someone like Pep but not overly direct like Route One style. Mourinho just goes with the best, most efficient way to win. It's Pragmatic Football, neither direct nor short passing. Tempo will also vary depending on team or opposition. Mourinho is one of the most flexible, adaptive coaches around.

Edited by crusadertsar

Oh yeah I know he is one of the chameleons of footbal sort to say, being able to make something out of most sides if the players are all pulling on the same direction.I asked this question because your variations of Mou tactics were either having both on  more or either of them like in the swiss army knife variant had more direct balls while the prapgmatic football one had higher tempo

3 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

Oh yeah I know he is one of the chameleons of footbal sort to say, being able to make something out of most sides if the players are all pulling on the same direction.I asked this question because your variations of Mou tactics were either having both on  more or either of them like in the swiss army knife variant had more direct balls while the prapgmatic football one had higher tempo

It depends on shape. If I remember correctly I used a more defensive shape, 4-5-1 in Swiss knife tactic (at least initially). And Pragmatic Football was modeled more after Mourinho's Real Madrid 4-2-3-1 which was one of his most furiously attacking teams (for Mourinho at least lol). 

Edited by crusadertsar

Yeah  the swiss army one was modeled to have a far more defensive approach to show how efficient  the 4231 was and how much role depended while the pragmatic one indeed was more furious type of tacti. I watched your work since the porto tactic and i remember it had both on more  with the shape i think structured on most

8 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

Yeah  the swiss army one was modeled to have a far more defensive approach to show how efficient  the 4231 was and how much role depended while the pragmatic one indeed was more furious type of tacti. I watched your work since the porto tactic and i remember it had both on more  with the shape i think structured on most

Porto was always my favourite. Will have to go back to narrow diamond one day.

47 minutes ago, Mourinho_Mastermind said:

Oh yeah I used that tactic a lot when you first published it, didn't work as well as it did in that fm but still viable. Back t the curent tactic, i wanted to ask if i  kept the  tempo and directness on the balanced mode it would work right

It probably work on balanced and tempo and passing on default level. But you might need to adjust it for some games. Like if facing an ultra defensive opponent who only sits back.

On 03/11/2022 at 18:27, gennamitico said:

I’m trying to create a Lippi/Capello 442, solid at the back and very pragmatic in attack. Maybe taking inspiration from your mourinho style. How would you setup a 4 man midfield @crusadertsar?? 

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with Capello's tactics. But if you want a solid pragmatic 4-4-2 then you will always need a solid double pivot in midfield. That's like hallmark of any pragmatic defence-first football system. Meaning, using at least two covering/holding roles in midfield. I would go with DLP(s) andBwM(s) or BWM(d) pair. 

@Mourinho_Mastermind I would prefer a playmaker to operate on a higher mentality. So DLP(s) and BWM(d) would work. But BWM(s) with added "hold position" could work as well.

Edited by crusadertsar