Out of the blue occasionally when a player performs well in a match, if I then praise them after the match, they kick up a fuss about it, and get unhappy.

5 minutes ago, xray1324 said:

What's this about? 

Somtimes you have to check did they actually play well example if a striker scores a goal, yes its good but its nothing to shout about if they score 3 goals then its worth a praise, if you praise to much they can get annoyed. if the AVG rating is like below 8 I never praise

What I have realised is that the constant should always be their personality not their performance even if you have good personalities (perfectionist, ambitious,) you should be aware that their standards are higher and poor personality (fickle, unambitious) do need praise more. All praise needs to be conducted sporadically unless you have low determination players in which they should be praised more than their colleagues.

5 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Mostly it's poor design,

Obviously praising players is generally going to give a morale and relationship boost, but since SI don't want it to be too effective, they had to introduce a downside to praising players when not appropriate

Instead of picking sensible downsides (player gets no boost from praise and no boost from next praise, player or gets complacent) they made the bad design decision for it to trigger functionality for players being upset at how they were treated instead

The bit where you have to pick what bit to praise them from specific options like praising their pass completion (which sometimes misses the important bit like actually scoring the winning goal) and they get upset if you pick the wrong one is overcomplicating things too

Pretty much this. Realistic player interactions must be a very difficult thing to implement but some of it is non-sensical.

I currently have a player who is "developing concerns" and thus won't sign a new contract because I told him his form had been good over the past few matches and he disagreed.

7 hours ago, enigmatic said:

Instead of picking sensible downsides (player gets no boost from praise and no boost from next praise, player or gets complacent) they made the bad design decision for it to trigger functionality for players being upset at how they were treated instead

The way I see it, is that it's difficult to pick up on body language and other subtle cues during these conversations, so instead we're almost presented with what the player thinks in his head. Like, if I have no respect for someone, I don't care even if it's praise that I receive from this person. Since there's no (or little) respect, I might think something like "yes, you're right, but overall, what do you know. You're a nobody. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

The way I see it, is that it's difficult to pick up on body language and other subtle cues during these conversations, so instead we're almost presented with what the player thinks in his head. Like, if I have no respect for someone, I don't care even if it's praise that I receive from this person. Since there's no (or little) respect, I might think something like "yes, you're right, but overall, what do you know. You're a nobody. :rolleyes:

I agree with that … I also think that it’s easy to praise, or indeed criticise, people too often and that it’s important to be sparing with both praise and criticism. Question …  In the real world how do people react if their boss is praising or criticising them on a weekly basis? Answer … it probably irritates them.

5 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I get that praise shouldn't always work. 

I don't get that praising them for their pass completion instead of their equaliser or praising them for getting 7.3 when their personal threshold for a good performance is 7.4 should result in them being so upset about their "treatment' they sulk for two weeks and won't sign a new contract.

If I have no respect for someone, I ignore their praise, I don't get deeply offended by it.

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

I get that praise shouldn't always work. 

I don't get that praising them for their pass completion instead of their equaliser or praising them for getting 7.3 when their personal threshold for a good performance is 7.4 should result in them being so upset about their "treatment' they sulk for two weeks and won't sign a new contract.

If I have no respect for someone, I ignore their praise, I don't get deeply offended by it.

I can't disagree with that. That's a step too far, imo, as well.

It's many versions of the game since I last praised a player. I congratulate them on things like league Player of the Month, first International call-up and things like that -- but game-related opportunities, I got snitty replies so often that I stopped bothering. At pre-match press conferences I always avoid picking out individuals, and instead stress that it is a team game. Post-match, it does no harm to agree with positive questions, and fend off negative ones.

When you praise someone's training performance and they don't think they've trained that well, they'll tell you exactly that and thank you for praising them without getting agitated. Why can't a similar response be incorporated into praising match performance?

i get this issue when praising form so i'm not sure how long is included in form or praised too muhc? a player with 7.2-8 rating in last 5 games didnt like me praising him even thought he out performed everyone else by a mile.

he was a relatively new player maybe he didn't like me that much. however i get more negative than positive reactions from praising form so stick to just praising last game. but make sure i look at the player stats and praise something they actually did well.

Personally, I cannot understand why any employee who gets praise from their boss would react negatively at all.  Even if you think it is undeserved, you would just be neutral rather than generating a negative reaction from the boss by chucking a hissy fit.  This is a module that still needs some attention IMO

The module needs looked at alongside looking at the match ratings themselves. 

The line between praising and fining a weeks wages is far too thin. 

They've boxed themselves into a corner with the rating system when they involved alot more personality and emotion from the players. 

A big restructuring of the match rating model would be most welcome.

That along with moving the damn praise and berate shouts in matches! :lol: