FM2022 French League Thread

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jogo Bonito I was stuck on who to manage but here is my reasoning behind it.

I don't want to manage a big team like PSG, Lyon, Monaco,Marseille, Lille or Nice but I also don't want to manage a team with not many prospects and not much money to spend. I know most French teams don't have much of a transfer budge but I would like a team with at least £1m to spend.

I have also eliminated St Etienne, Lorient, Stasborg and FC Metz due to managing them on FM2021.

So the teams I have singled it down to are Angers, Bordeaux, Clemont, FC Nantes, Montipellier, Lens, Reims, Brest, Rennes and Troyes.

You done a save with Montipellier recently so I have eliminated them as well. A few people managed RC Lens on FM2021 and did massive career threads with them and I usually like to pick teams not many people have posted about.

Rennes seems like an easy choice due to them having amazing youth recruitment but seems too easy. 

So my final selections were Angers, Bordeuax, Clemont, FC Nantes, Reims, Brest and Troyes.

I went with Stade Reims in the end as I like that they have a lot of different countries represented in their squad.

Sorry for the over the top explanation lol.

image.png

Good to see this thread up this year !

Bastia in Ligue 2 might be a tempting one for me

Will do my Marseille guide next week, for those who want to know a liitle bit more about this year's situation

Keep it up ! :thup:

1 hour ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck with Reims. I would have suggested Bordeaux so it is good I am late replying:thup:

Yeah I was very close to picking Bordeaux but I wanted a harder challenge. I will definitely do a save with Bordeuax at some point. I am probably going to do a save with every French league team at some point in the next 12 months.

By the way @Jogo Bonito I have already signed our boy Karim Konate and I have a notepad file full of African players I am going to search and scout. I got £1.5m to spend so I am looking for bargains.

8 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah I was very close to picking Bordeaux but I wanted a harder challenge. I will definitely do a save with Bordeuax at some point. I am probably going to do a save with every French league team at some point in the next 12 months.

By the way @Jogo Bonito I have already signed our boy Karim Konate and I have a notepad file full of African players I am going to search and scout. I got £1.5m to spend so I am looking for bargains.

Bordeaux are a bit rubbish to be honest, especially defensively. And have a few young players who could be developed. One for another time perhaps.

I think you can say Konate is your boy now! I'm sure he will score goals for you. Virtually 80% of my followed African talents are attacking players, hopefully you will balance your signings better than that :lol:

2 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Bordeaux are a bit rubbish to be honest, especially defensively. And have a few young players who could be developed. One for another time perhaps.

I think you can say Konate is your boy now! I'm sure he will score goals for you. Virtually 80% of my followed African talents are attacking players, hopefully you will balance your signings better than that :lol:

Well I thought Konate was able to come into the squad straight away but annoyingly he has to stay at ASEC until next season.

In the mean time I have managed to sign a few African players.

cd334d672e5962b781a5bd205d2f0e05.png

Have you ever heard of any of these players then @Jogo Bonito ?

10 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

@Ronaldo Beckham how are your overall finances at Reims? Any long term debts? 

£11m in the bank and £24m in debt.

28 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Well I thought Konate was able to come into the squad straight away but annoyingly he has to stay at ASEC until next season.

In the mean time I have managed to sign a few African players.

cd334d672e5962b781a5bd205d2f0e05.png

Have you ever heard of any of these players then @Jogo Bonito ?

£11m in the bank and £24m in debt.

Well, Azeez of course is well known. I don't think he is a free agent in real life but a good signing. Not really familiar with the others, Bamba a little bit and I think Ako Assomo went to Latvia but again I don't know anything about him really. Strikers are my speciality and I guess that proves it :lol:

Well, Azeez of course is well known. I don't think he is a free agent in real life but a good signing. Not really familiar with the others, Bamba a little bit and I think Ako Assomo went to Latvia but again I don't know anything about him really. Strikers are my speciality and I guess that proves it :lol:

Can you recommend me some cheap strikers then or strikers who have their contracts expiring soon as I have no transfer budget left.

9 hours ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Can you recommend me some cheap strikers then or strikers who have their contracts expiring soon as I have no transfer budget left.

I could suggest a few French speaking ones. Whether they're Day 1 ready for Ligue 1 is another matter.

Who is on your shortlist for that position?

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

I could suggest a few French speaking ones. Whether they're Day 1 ready for Ligue 1 is another matter.

Who is on your shortlist for that position?

Here are my list of African players. I don't know what positions they are in though other then the ones I have signed in previous saves.

Parfait Guiagon
Audrey Modiba
Teboho Mokoena
Joel Yeregbe
Guy Romain Kpea
Aboubacar Doumbia
Mohamed Sylla
Ousmane Meite
Okemba Ovouka
Chieck Haidara
Wissem Bouhadiche
Irvin Cardona
Waniss Taibi
Robin Voisine
Said Arab
Hubert Mbuyi Muamba
Arouna Sangante
Willem Geubbels
Malek Menif
Thendo Mukumela
Riyaaz Koopstadt
Dean Solomons
Gift Motupa
Souleymane Diaby
Bubacarr Kebbeh
Hamza Chahid
Moussa Diarra
Cade Erickson
Alidu Seidu
Pokou N'Guessan
Dion Lopy
Timothy Atamenwan
Ousamma Falouh
Mamadou Traore
Oluwadamilare Olatunji
Bongolwethu Siyasi
Jihad Moussalli
Mateo Leveque
Hamza Ait Allal
Mamadi Fofana
Achref Afli
Ousmane Diakite
Victor Olatunji
Ebrima Darboe
Kagiso Madisha
Karim Konate

1 hour ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Here are my list of African players. I don't know what positions they are in though other then the ones I have signed in previous saves.

Parfait Guiagon
Audrey Modiba
Teboho Mokoena
Joel Yeregbe
Guy Romain Kpea
Aboubacar Doumbia
Mohamed Sylla
Ousmane Meite
Okemba Ovouka
Chieck Haidara
Wissem Bouhadiche
Irvin Cardona
Waniss Taibi
Robin Voisine
Said Arab
Hubert Mbuyi Muamba
Arouna Sangante
Willem Geubbels
Malek Menif
Thendo Mukumela
Riyaaz Koopstadt
Dean Solomons
Gift Motupa
Souleymane Diaby
Bubacarr Kebbeh
Hamza Chahid
Moussa Diarra
Cade Erickson
Alidu Seidu
Pokou N'Guessan
Dion Lopy
Timothy Atamenwan
Ousamma Falouh
Mamadou Traore
Oluwadamilare Olatunji
Bongolwethu Siyasi
Jihad Moussalli
Mateo Leveque
Hamza Ait Allal
Mamadi Fofana
Achref Afli
Ousmane Diakite
Victor Olatunji
Ebrima Darboe
Kagiso Madisha
Karim Konate

Are you only signing African players? 

Some French speaking African strikers for your limited budget @Ronaldo Beckham - best picks in bold. 

• Cheap or expiring contracts - Samson Akinyoola, Ibrahima Sow, Djibril Gueye, Mai Traore, Ibrahima Wadji, Leonel Wamba, Robert Tambe, Cephas Malele, Malick Evouna, Adel Bettaieb, Karim El Berkaoui
  • Loan (if possible) - Bamba Dieng
  • Free - Firmin Mubele, Abdoulaye Sane, Kule Mbombo 

Consider this a one-off pre-release favour ;)

P.S. Nabil Bentaleb is free if he fancies patrolling the Reims midfield.

Edited by Jogo Bonito

3 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

@Ronaldo Beckham I'd promote Koffi (on my shortlist) and use him, Donis and Toure whilst you wait for Konate. But I know that's not the answer you want...

Yeah that is fine as Donis and Toure have been doing well for me with my 3 striker tactic I use.

2 hours ago, Ewan0404 said:

A bit random but an interesting challenge. 

Yeah I like to do different things to keep me interested in the save.

Some French speaking African strikers for your limited budget @Ronaldo Beckham - best picks in bold. 

• Cheap or expiring contracts - Samson Akinyoola, Ibrahima Sow, Djibril Gueye, Mai Traore, Ibrahima Wadji, Leonel Wamba, Robert Tambe, Cephas Malele, Malick Evouna, Adel Bettaieb, Karim El Berkaoui
  • Loan (if possible) - Bamba Dieng
  • Free - Firmin Mubele, Abdoulaye Sane, Kule Mbombo 

Consider this a one-off pre-release favour ;)

P.S. Nabil Bentaleb is free if he fancies patrolling the Reims midfield.

Thank you @Jogo Bonito I will scout these players now and add them to my shortlist. Thank you.

Stade Reims Season 1 Review

image.png.4a0c0472a21efff1969fe88e395d6a96.png

I finished nicely in 14th position which is basically what I my expectations were so I am happy. 

image.thumb.png.b273789126017902c065a44e33796707.png

I played a 3 strker tactic so I needed my strikers to score and I luckily had 2 out of the 3 who did score a decent amount each with El Bilal Toure being the top scorer with 18 goals for the season. He will hopefully form a nice strike partnership with new signing Karim Konate when he joins in the summer.

El Bilal Toure

image.thumb.png.870cafedff5af40a9768e80f53151ff1.png

image.thumb.png.6a40fcd1c7d3ae8fbc77c1accd3d8414.png

Fraser Hornby got 16 goals for the season and would of probably got more if he played more games. It is quite remarkable how many goals he got considering his finishing attribute is only 9.

Fraser Hornby

image.thumb.png.ddffae1b45c19392dc1539852994ca3d.png

Best Overall 11

image.thumb.png.5b3951f3684426e1dc57f3646d74de33.png

Accolades

image.thumb.png.c82a1a271faa67c693fd00e3c1b9400a.png

I didn't make many signings for the first team but my best first team signing was probably free transfer signing Ramon Azeez who was very solid in the middle of the pitch helping the defense and he only got 1 goal but it was the clubs goal of the season so he likes to score a spectacular goal.

Ramon Azeez

image.thumb.png.c1ef0a1e2b38f13e0eda3ac751017fde.png

image.thumb.png.690350e91957ac5a22124a8fd63fd51b.png

I have Karim Konate coming in who I mentioned before but I also have a personal favourite of mine coming in the summer and he was amazing for me in my FC Metz save I had on FM2020. His name is Parfait Guiagon. He is good at set pieces which I lack in the team.

image.thumb.png.1db28952250a75b1527a2c9878a8679d.png

So because of FM2022 coming out today I have decided to start a new save in the French League but I am figuring out whether to start again as Stade Reims or take on another French league team and maybe one in Ligue 2. 

I have set myself some rules to make it more realistic to real life.

1.  No downloaded tactics - It takes the fun away if I use a super tactic
  2.  I have kept player attritube masking - I only sign players I can scout
  3.  Refuse to use shortlists full of wonderkids - FM saves get boring for me if I sign every wonderkid available.
  4. Disabled First Transfer Window - I got to stick with what I have until January.
  5. I want to try stick to the club's transfer policy so I will be looking at the squad and my transfer business will be based around players from them nations. So if I am doing  a French League save I will be looking at French, French speaking African players and non French speaking African players.
  6. A lot of French teams rely on selling players to make money for them to survive. A lot of French teams are in debt so my aim is be financially efficiant even if that is at the expense of my squad. So no player is unsellable.

If @Jogo Bonito or anyone else has any suggestions to make it as realistic as possible then feel free to let me know. 

Here is my set up. 

image.thumb.png.05a1fc0a1216d267e92027616080861f.png

I will post the team I decide on soon.

1 hour ago, Ewan0404 said:

Seems a fairly good set up to me. I'll be starting tomorrow in France and can't wait. 

Any idea what other club you might go then if not Reims again? 

In Ligue 1 I might manage Troyes, Clermont or Angers.

In Ligue 2 I am thinking a few teams. Maybe Paris FC, Le Harve, Auxerre etc. Literally every team in Ligue 2 looks like a good save.

I have found my new team for my first long term save on FM2022

image.png.2ff2212cbf211d04e9ddb273d00e2ea2.png

Havre AC or as I know of them Le Havre FC are a team who have had a good track record of producing superstar players such as Paul Pogba, Riyad Mahrez, Benjamin Mendy, Ibrahim Ba,  Jean-Alain Boumsong, Steve Mandanda, Vikash Dhorasoo,  Lassana Diarra and Dimitri Payet. 

My aim is to continue this tradition whether it is players direct from my great youth academy or unknown players I sign and help turn them into superstars before they go off to play for bigger teams.

Le Havre haven't been in the French Ligue 1 since the 2008/2009 season. 

Their rivals are Lens and SM Caen. 

They were the first club out of Paris to win the French league title. 

The club was founded by Englishmen.

Le Havre is known as 'les ciel et marine' in France, which translates as 'the sky and navy blues'. These colours were chosen by the club's English founders as they were those of their alma maters, the universities of Oxford and Cambridge: the anthem of the club is played to the melody of "God Save the Queen" to mark the English origins of the club:

"A jamais le premier
de tous les clubs français
ô H.A.C.
Fiers de tes origines
Fils d'Oxford et Cambridge
deux couleurs font notre prestige
Ciel et marine!"

English translation:

"The first ever
of all French clubs
The H.A.C
Proud of your roots
Son of Oxford and Cambridge
two colors make our prestige
(the colors of the) sky and the sea!"

One thing I would like to do is set new records especially for the players. Alexandre Bonnet is the record appearance holder with 438 appearances and he is still at the club so he will probably end his career on 500 games for Le Havre. One of my goals is to find a player to beat his 438 appearance record.

Jean-Micheal Lesage has the most goals for the club with 78 goals. I think I will find someone who can get more then that but we will see.

This is a screenshot of the reccomended starting 11.

image.thumb.png.d48b003b33f8f4fae6d2d8732b707959.png

Here is a screenshot of the board's expectations. They want me to work within the wage budget, a top half finish, work towards being self-sustainable and most important one is to develop the best youth academy in Ligue 2. 

@Jogo Bonito Do you think I have made a good choice then ?

32 minutes ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good choice of club with a decent history of developing fine young players. I like Ba (signed him for Montpellier) and they have a truly fantastic stadium.

Yeah the stadium does look lovely.

image.jpeg.c2b991082c3c0c9714c8e43d36e8cae0.jpeg

image.jpeg.08def5c3021d141e9b77860b8bdebce1.jpeg

Le Havre have 2 Ba's but I assume the one you are on about is Abdoullah Ba who is doing well for me so far. 

image.thumb.png.867d988372006b4c9d3523910f6cd025.png

image.thumb.png.2ef6cd31b135e23eb94cc774c3c32d13.png

Just when i think i'm out... all this chat of Ligue 2 sides and African journeymen pulls me right back in...

So it seems FM22 is taking me to the fourth largest city in burgundy and trying to follow in the footsteps of one of the godfathers of French football, Guy Roux.

Bonjour Les diplomates....

6 hours ago, Hoarau said:

Just when i think i'm out... all this chat of Ligue 2 sides and African journeymen pulls me right back in...

So it seems FM22 is taking me to the fourth largest city in burgundy and trying to follow in the footsteps of one of the godfathers of French football, Guy Roux.

Bonjour Les diplomates....

I nearly picked Auxerre before deciding on Le Havre so I am looking forward to seeing how you do with them. 

Good luck buddy and please post your progress on here.

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Gutted mate. I hope you figure out who to manage and have a fun save.

Was really enjoying it, finished 3rd in my first season and 2nd in second season :( 

Le Havre Season 1 Review

image.png.292c78390d32e851890958a851c28890.png

A good first season that faltered at the end and I was very close in making the play offs. I feel like the team has failed despite the board's expectations of a middle table finish which is what I achieved.

image.thumb.png.a3225582c0416d37f4d0404a193a11a2.png

I need to do better next season and close the gap as I was 12 points away from the play offs.

I have got Karim Konate coming in for next season so hopefully he will give me the firepower I need to progress. 

So after saying about keeping to certain transfer policy well that didn't work out as my DOF who I leave in control of transfers and he signed a few free transfers. 

Lucas Necul(Argentinian), Jairo Quinteros(Bolivian) and Han Kwang-Song(North Korean) were my transfers for the season and as you can see below they didn't achieve much.

image.thumb.png.ee925de5c4e3ea924fd593a2e0294bc8.png

Best Overall 11

image.thumb.png.43faf05c611a4206afe4911d5aee3eb9.png

Fernand Mayembo was my best player with the Congo central defender having a very good overal average rating & 5 goals which was better then my actual strikers which is a bit depressing.

Fernand Mayembo

image.thumb.png.093792f112a42450572a55e468696c8a.png

My top goalscorer was midfielder Himad Abdelli(Algerian)who got 7 goals and seems like a good player in the making. 

Himad Abdelli

image.thumb.png.c782d727face1bb3e2e95c63e420f452.png

Accolades

image.thumb.png.7bd7adff49f48c157090771ff1402e41.png

On 09/11/2021 at 01:02, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah the stadium does look lovely.

image.jpeg.c2b991082c3c0c9714c8e43d36e8cae0.jpeg

image.jpeg.08def5c3021d141e9b77860b8bdebce1.jpeg

Le Havre have 2 Ba's but I assume the one you are on about is Abdoullah Ba who is doing well for me so far. 

image.thumb.png.867d988372006b4c9d3523910f6cd025.png

image.thumb.png.2ef6cd31b135e23eb94cc774c3c32d13.png

I done a save with them on FM21. Best save ever.

Last year Abdeli, Ba, Meddah, Isaak Toure, Ylan Gomes and Yahia Fofana all turned out pretty good. Abdeli, Ba and Gomes stayed 13 years with us. Some cracking talent came through too

4 hours ago, Trevomac said:

I done a save with them on FM21. Best save ever.

Last year Abdeli, Ba, Meddah, Isaak Toure, Ylan Gomes and Yahia Fofana all turned out pretty good. Abdeli, Ba and Gomes stayed 13 years with us. Some cracking talent came through too

Gomes has been rubbish for me so far. Hopefully he gets better in time.

Il y a 4 heures, SkeltonTom a dit :

Tempted to start one with Red Star Paris or Paris FC... Any thoughts?

Had a great save back in the days with Paris FC

But it will take a lot of time to become the best team in Paris 

Le Havre Season 2 Review

image.png.2f4daef1b2a1b7c80ea2c125130a8b43.png

Another season of feeling like we could of done better. We struggled to hit consistency but we finished 10th in the league. I managed to hit form towards the end of the season but it was too little too late as I wanted to get into the play offs at least.

image.thumb.png.67b7fad55d0855977e1122e264229853.png

Transfers

image.thumb.png.e660c8459e40c8837ef781e68cd17580.png

Main transfers out were players I didn't want to lose but I had to take out the emotion of having the players there as the club needs to sell their highest assets to keep surviving. 

I had good offers for Isaak Toure who went to Aston Villa for £3m upfront. £2m in clauses and also the club get 50% of the profit on his next transfer. 

image.thumb.png.a771d84f07ce404b8df7e82bc3bede8f.png

Toure played 7 games and got 1 goal for Aston Villa so far.

image.thumb.png.6c420eae7a849a3f5e0fd440447dc90b.png

Abdoullah Ba has only played 4 games for Crystal Palace and not done very well when he has played.

My best signing was Karim Konate who is starting to become a really good player for me.

He got 10 goals for the season but I know in a year or 2 he will get 20 plus goals a season.

image.thumb.png.056948dc1fe88ca6d781e6350d030c2a.png

My Best Overall 11

image.thumb.png.36fd7e2005a6514dcf1af58c841c7cdb.png

I want to try get into the Play Offs next season. Le Havre are too big of a club to be in the French Ligue 2.

Just finished my first season with AS Saint-Étienne. I thought we did well, and exceeded many expectations, could have nicked 3rd spot, but suffered 2 defeats in last 5 games sadly. Also winning the cup too :cool:  Might raid Bordeaux and Nantes to find cheap players :D Might look at improving U's19 coaching teams even each department rated the best. Have also been focussing on Switzerland leagues and Africa regions for hidden gems.

afdd967a09af152d3be943f44b493a96.png 

Tactics

1e3baed79247e9ca8f7831b8ae353162.png  

Tactic wise, I went for this classic formation, don't know if anyone remember on FM19 or so, Real Madrid was using this tactic but MC to AMC position, I decided to try this out to suit the players I have at the club. Which works out well for us. Also got 4-3-1-2 narrow tactic too, but not used it much as I have with 4-2-3-1 formation. Might go for something different next season, still undecided.

My U's19 won the league, hopefully, will play few youngsters next season from the U's19 to aide their development.

Transfers

2ccdc0d80dec511a21f3238400963fde.png 

Most of them was signed by my DOF and HOYD. Only signings I made was Alexandre Jankewitz and Zhirkov. Only bought in Zhirkov, for mentoring purpose.

Edited by john1