FM22: Manchester United: Never ending transition

sedge11

AWB should play as non-nonsense FB because he is very good in tackling and because you have Sancho or Greenwood in front of him. 
In previous FMs I bring Nikola Milenković as DC but he is very good at defending on wide position, he is one of 3 DC in Fiorentina in real life (the one on right side) and that suits new role in FM wideCB. I prefer to use AWB only in big matches or in some tough away games - his defending contribution is great.

At the end he become unhappy and want to leave and always the biggest European clubs are into him. Everything above 50mil £ I accept without thinking.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only made one first team signing in my save so far-Kessie. Also signed Xavi Simon who is coming in January. Undecided as to whether I loan him out. I'm not at my laptop right now so can't say for definite where I am in the league but I've dropped 4 points all season..one in a draw to Arsenal and one in a very annoying draw to Leicester where I was 3-1 up with a  minute to go and somehow ended up drawing 3-3. 

Kessie plays as a ball winning midfielder with either Pogba as a DLP or Van De Beek as a RP. Two of Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford and Martial play as inside forwards with usually Ronaldo but sometimes Cavani up top. Back 4 is usually AWB, Maguire, Varane and Shaw with De Gea in goal though last couple of games I've gone with Dalot as right back to go with more attacking full backs.

Aware I can probably get Mbappe on a free however I'm undecided as to whether that would be a case of signing him for the sake of signing him rather than it benefitting the team. Ronaldo and Cavani will both be gone in a year or two so there'd be a striker slot but do I develop Greenwood into the elite centre forward and have the Rashford-Greenwood-Sancho forward line?

16 minutes ago, Mark Corrigan said:

I've only made one first team signing in my save so far-Kessie. Also signed Xavi Simon who is coming in January. Undecided as to whether I loan him out. I'm not at my laptop right now so can't say for definite where I am in the league but I've dropped 4 points all season..one in a draw to Arsenal and one in a very annoying draw to Leicester where I was 3-1 up with a  minute to go and somehow ended up drawing 3-3. 

Kessie plays as a ball winning midfielder with either Pogba as a DLP or Van De Beek as a RP. Two of Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford and Martial play as inside forwards with usually Ronaldo but sometimes Cavani up top. Back 4 is usually AWB, Maguire, Varane and Shaw with De Gea in goal though last couple of games I've gone with Dalot as right back to go with more attacking full backs.

Aware I can probably get Mbappe on a free however I'm undecided as to whether that would be a case of signing him for the sake of signing him rather than it benefitting the team. Ronaldo and Cavani will both be gone in a year or two so there'd be a striker slot but do I develop Greenwood into the elite centre forward and have the Rashford-Greenwood-Sancho forward line?

My goal will be having Greenwood training to develop him into the striker for when the likes of Ronaldo and Cavani either retire or leave. Will mean needing to find someone to replace on the Right Wing if Diallo hasnt developed enough or any of the other youngsters 

Getting to the end of season 2 now.

Its been a pretty dramatic title race so far, with ourselves, liverpool and city all swapping positions as we all keep dropping points.

We have been hit badly for injuries mainly in the full back area, with Shaw and Telles getting season ending injuries and Laird out for a few weeks. So I don't have a fit left back at the club, meaning have had to adapt my tactics and adjust a formation. Due to the injuries we have been struggling in games and are scrapping through at the moment.

This is how the table is looking with 3 games left.

1063941786_westhambeatcity.thumb.png.1630a0cbd0836522e5eacbf12dd32a2b.png

A late win for us, and a late loss for city hands us the advantage.

EDIT: Well none of clearly want to win this title, as I've just lost to Norwich, but liverpool and city also dropped points drawing to burnley and brighton.

Edited by sedge11

10 minutes ago, Billy0810 said:

Really enjoying playing a 3 at the back with these new wide centre backs. 

What duty are you using them on? I'll be using them but only on defend duty. On defend I would imagine they'll behave like standard CB's but will spread out wide in possession more?

7 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

What duty are you using them on? I'll be using them but only on defend duty. On defend I would imagine they'll behave like standard CB's but will spread out wide in possession more?

I’ve got one on defend duty and one on support to create an overload on the left hand side 

So season 2 is now over. It was a hard fought year.

Firstly the cups, we lost in the champs league 1/4 final to Liverpool, Real Madrid won it. We got to the final of both the carabao cup and fa cup but frustratingly lost both finals to Man city.

Now to the league, going into the final day the table looked like this.

294830482_goingintofinalday.thumb.png.f9d5e9f71f7b591474ef8e7f9e62fe4c.png

1 goal separated ourselves and Liverpool.

On the final day we were away to Villa, liverpool played westham and city played Brentford. To our dismay both liverpool and city went 1-0 up within 5 minutes. However after 20 minutes the lethal combination of Sancho and Ronaldo put us 1-0 up, we then scored 2 more goals within 12 minutes to take control. Liverpool were also winning 3-0, so if we conceded or liverpool scored again they would win the league on goal difference.

But we did it.

12449122_leaguechampionss2.thumb.png.5feaa75407470a91588c0fac3c262f9c.png

506978596_s2league.thumb.png.d0b738adb17fbaebd253d1bbf9fd3ec3.png

The premier league trophy has come back home, but just look how tight it was. A hard fought season ended with a tense hard fought league title. Defensively we were very poor, having a worse record than season 1. However this was down to injuries and just never being able to play a settled back , so this will need sorting for next season.

Player stats for season 2.

838036757_s2playerstats.thumb.png.5613aca4e0b4c335beaafd9611951552.png1737294022_s2playerstats2.thumb.png.50038ab8129bdadf54d3a3ad4d60e153.png

Sancho with a massive improvement from the 1st season, with the highest average rating and 18 assists. Sancho and Ronaldo formed a lethal partnership with Sancho assisting Ronaldo on a fiar amount of occasions. Ronaldo at 38 still smashing them in, and I took the option on his contract to keep him for a 3rd year.

Donny had a good season, which was pleasing as I had let Pogba go for free. Rashford was disappointing, and Greenwood had a poor season in front of goal but had done well with assists. I plan to give Mason more time up front next season so hopefully more goals will come from him.

Milenkovic had a great season with 8 goals, Varane also contributing with 5 goals, these 2 will hopefully form a great partnership. 

I managed to blood some youngsters, Laird and Mengi in particular impressed in a fairly unstable defense. However Hannibal and DIallo didn't really take their chances.

So onwards to season 3. Matic, Cavani and Lingard will all leave. Brozovic and myself have had a falling out so after 1 season he will be off.  Full backs was a real issue for me with injuries being the worst in this area, so I plan to bring in 2 new full backs with Telles and Wan Bissaka possibly moving on. As I only spent 60 mil so far in the save I will splash the cash to improve this area.

10 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Firstly the cups, we lost in the champs league 1/4 final to Liverpool, Real Madrid won it. We got to the final of both the carabao cup and fa cup but frustratingly lost both finals to Man city.

On the final day we were away to Villa, liverpool played westham and city played Brentford. To our dismay both liverpool and city went 1-0 up within 5 minutes. However after 20 minutes the lethal combination of Sancho and Ronaldo put us 1-0 up, we then scored 2 more goals within 12 minutes to take control. Liverpool were also winning 3-0, so if we conceded or liverpool scored again they would win the league on goal difference.

But we did it.

The premier league trophy has come back home, but just look how tight it was. A hard fought season ended with a tense hard fought league title. Defensively we were very poor, having a worse record than season 1. However this was down to injuries and just never being able to play a settled back , so this will need sorting for next season.

838036757_s2playerstats.thumb.png.5613aca4e0b4c335beaafd9611951552.png1737294022_s2playerstats2.thumb.png.50038ab8129bdadf54d3a3ad4d60e153.png

Sancho with a massive improvement from the 1st season, with the highest average rating and 18 assists. Sancho and Ronaldo formed a lethal partnership with Sancho assisting Ronaldo on a fiar amount of occasions. Ronaldo at 38 still smashing them in, and I took the option on his contract to keep him for a 3rd year.

Donny had a good season, which was pleasing as I had let Pogba go for free. Rashford was disappointing, and Greenwood had a poor season in front of goal but had done well with assists. I plan to give Mason more time up front next season so hopefully more goals will come from him.

Milenkovic had a great season with 8 goals, Varane also contributing with 5 goals, these 2 will hopefully form a great partnership. 

I managed to blood some youngsters, Laird and Mengi in particular impressed in a fairly unstable defense. However Hannibal and DIallo didn't really take their chances.

So onwards to season 3. Matic, Cavani and Lingard will all leave. Brozovic and myself have had a falling out so after 1 season he will be off.  Full backs was a real issue for me with injuries being the worst in this area, so I plan to bring in 2 new full backs with Telles and Wan Bissaka possibly moving on. As I only spent 60 mil so far in the save I will splash the cash to improve this area.

Be interested to see how Pogba has done after leaving. I'm in two minds of letting him walk or tie him down, think will see how he is doing a few months in to see if he is managing to contribute like he should be able to with his attributes and being labelled a world class midfielder 

12 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Be interested to see how Pogba has done after leaving. I'm in two minds of letting him walk or tie him down, think will see how he is doing a few months in to see if he is managing to contribute like he should be able to with his attributes and being labelled a world class midfielder 

He went to Barca on a free.

49956788_pogbabarca.thumb.png.8187628e508be5e7c70f76553321f310.png

He did ok for them, nothing special.

I think I'll let Pogba leave on a free personally. Milenković, man he's just such good value, I doubt I'll be able to resist going for him again like I did on FM21. He's among the top CB's in the game and only costs a fraction of what players like De Ligt etc cost. 

I've surprised myself, as I usually take ages to start, or at least you all probably noticed the past few years 😅 but I'm actually starting my save tonight which is really early for me, lol. Usually when I start all the editor data files like the agents pack, majesticeternity's files etc are out but because I'm starting so early this version even some of the graphics I like to download aren't available yet, so I just got to put up with some plain kits for certain leagues atm 😂

Edited by Gee_Simpson

6 hours ago, sedge11 said:

But we did it.

Glory Glory!

5 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I think I'll let Pogba leave on a free personally. Milenković, man he's just such good value, I doubt I'll be able to resist going for him again like I did on FM21. He's among the top CB's in the game and only costs a fraction of what players like De Ligt etc cost. 

I've surprised myself, as I usually take ages to start, or at least you all probably noticed the past few years 😅 but I'm actually starting my save tonight which is really early for me, lol. Usually when I start all the editor data files like the agents pack, majesticeternity's files etc are out but because I'm starting so early this version even some of the graphics I like to download aren't available yet, so I just got to put up with some plain kits for certain leagues atm 😂

Dont worry GeeS, I'll take up the mantle of the slow started this year.   I'm a slow player too...for example EVERY match I spend 5-10 minutes setting up individual opposition instructions. I spend several real life days on the first day of a new save.   Setting up short list (I do then save them so I dont have to rebuild them in subsequent saves), sorting through staff, players I want to keep and replace...and so so so much more.  

I HAVE to have a huge short list so I can keep track of THOUSANDS of players and where they move to.  

And here's the crazy thing...that's FUN for me?  Lord, help me. 

Last few years I've gotten more and more obsessed with using the pre-game editor to "fix" things.   Last season was first using the Advanced Rules Editor.  

This year the pre-game editor is pretty buggy.  Which is frustrating.  Right now I'm focusing on "fixing" the colors for clubs kits.  Drives me batty that the colors dont match the damn kits!  Drives me batty that it drives me batty.  

Plus, I like to mix favorite kits from past seasons with current ones.  I just like how it looks.   And I freely admit I LIKE the tinkering and "getting it right."

So much to obsess about!

"You think I like being this guy?" Bill Burr

Edited by DominicForza
added info

35 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Lol you're regretting signing Mbappe? Don't be silly 🤣

Sense of overkill, im doing the same rn on my fm21 save. Got ronaldo and messi and its a waste of a save lol 

Some big decisions to make for the summer before season 3.

Do I go all out and spend 120 mil on Kimmich or do I go for Ridle Baku an up and coming full back.

Then there’s Kimpembe available for 49 mil or go for Tomori at 77 mil?

Summer window should be done by tomorrow night.

24 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Some big decisions to make for the summer before season 3.

Do I go all out and spend 120 mil on Kimmich or do I go for Ridle Baku an up and coming full back.

Then there’s Kimpembe available for 49 mil or go for Tomori at 77 mil?

Summer window should be done by tomorrow night.

Depends on if you need a starter now or not and if so is Baku ready for the mainstay player.

Depends on who you feel is better value for money, but is always nice to get one over you rivals with one of their former youth players in the team that beats them lol

Is anyone else struggling with this game? I cant seem to get any consistency and I'm struggling to find a formation that works. I like a good old 442. wingers, crosses and goals. Is the 442 not suited to Man United? Wingers i can sort, attackers i  can sort but the central midfield and the defensive side of things im struggling with. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm about to get fired

Edited by the SLC
update

1 hour ago, the SLC said:

Is anyone else struggling with this game? I cant seem to get any consistency and I'm struggling to find a formation that works. I like a good old 442. wingers, crosses and goals. Is the 442 not suited to Man United? Wingers i can sort, attackers i  can sort but the central midfield and the defensive side of things im struggling with. Any suggestions are welcome.

I'm about to get fired

4-4-2 can work, Sancho and Lingard would be good for the winger positions. 

Have to admit I’ve struggled abit defensively on my save as well, so I’m going to be spending big to hopefully sort that.

14 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

4-4-2 can work, Sancho and Lingard would be good for the winger positions. 

Have to admit I’ve struggled abit defensively on my save as well, so I’m going to be spending big to hopefully sort that.

appreciate the response and its pleasing to hear someone else is also struggling defensively. out of curiosity what appears to be the most popular formation? 

if i can figure out how to upload pictures i will so people can see how rubbish i am

As a Utd fan and long time player of FM since the CM days, who hasn't played for a few years I have just downloaded the demo and tried to get used to all the new features. 

So I started with trying to get rid of the usual dead wood and started looking at Central midfield and right back reinforcements, but while trying to put together a 4-2-3-1 formation I felt that I could get away with McTominay or Van Der Beek next to Pogba at centre mid, but was less convinced with my options for a AML so thought why not try for Mbappe. 

So I bid £25m plus £100m in 3 years of installments, hoping I'd sell some players before he agreed, but no-one had left before he agreed and got his work permit. And I was able to sign him as for the future fees didn't contribute to my budget at all. 

How does the game factor in these future fees now? 

Then I got an A+ scout report for Barella and asked the board to sign him, which they did for £65m.

After that I sold a few players and had another £25m to spend and tried to sign Kimmich to offer a two part option at RB and Defensive Midfield, but he wasn't interested, so I thought I'd try with Haaland for £20m with installments of £75m over three years. 

I realize it is an utterly crazy window to add to the strongest area of the team with four world class additions (including Sancho and Ronaldo) but it is going to be fun having the most ridiculous attack in world football. 

And with Barella I think we have the class and more solidity in the middle to provide support to our front four, and Wan Bisaka isn't needed for any attacking output and the extra defensive solidity he provides is thus more valuable. 

What are the downsides of pledging so much future money, especially since they've already given me my £55m budget for next year? 

First season end with CL final defeat against Bayern. They just were monstrous and destroy me without any mercy. But leaving Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal way behind me in PL was very satisfied, especially I didn't buy any big names (Paulinho on free, Toliso 2,5mil in january, Patrick Berg 2,8mil bought in summer but with option to stay until finish of season in Norway).

This was test save that I started on beta and tomorrow I will start new one on full version.
Here are some ss.

PL.jpg

CL.jpg

FAC.jpg

LC.jpg

stats svi.jpg

formation.jpg

4 hours ago, Wheeler Dealer said:

As a Utd fan and long time player of FM since the CM days, who hasn't played for a few years I have just downloaded the demo and tried to get used to all the new features. 

So I started with trying to get rid of the usual dead wood and started looking at Central midfield and right back reinforcements, but while trying to put together a 4-2-3-1 formation I felt that I could get away with McTominay or Van Der Beek next to Pogba at centre mid, but was less convinced with my options for a AML so thought why not try for Mbappe. 

So I bid £25m plus £100m in 3 years of installments, hoping I'd sell some players before he agreed, but no-one had left before he agreed and got his work permit. And I was able to sign him as for the future fees didn't contribute to my budget at all. 

How does the game factor in these future fees now? 

Then I got an A+ scout report for Barella and asked the board to sign him, which they did for £65m.

After that I sold a few players and had another £25m to spend and tried to sign Kimmich to offer a two part option at RB and Defensive Midfield, but he wasn't interested, so I thought I'd try with Haaland for £20m with installments of £75m over three years. 

I realize it is an utterly crazy window to add to the strongest area of the team with four world class additions (including Sancho and Ronaldo) but it is going to be fun having the most ridiculous attack in world football. 

And with Barella I think we have the class and more solidity in the middle to provide support to our front four, and Wan Bisaka isn't needed for any attacking output and the extra defensive solidity he provides is thus more valuable. 

What are the downsides of pledging so much future money, especially since they've already given me my £55m budget for next year? 

First of all the demo is only half a season, so I think it's up until Jan (might be full season now, not to sure). So any future fee's can be considered bypassing the usual norm and effects that the proper game would give, as in the situation in future seasons. 

The finances show up in real time so only effecting there and now. Future fee's will show up when it comes around. So mbappe 25m will come out straight away.

If and when the board intervene it comes out the "balance" on the finance sheet, which in turn effects the budget. I did the same for dec rice and got rid of my budget for the season. Any sales gets put back into transfer budget (big club rules). 

55m would've been at least around 100-150m if you didn't have future fees. As a top club you can get away with it, especially as United, however the downside is it effects the future budget which means you go on and on trying to cut corners and save in areas to come out with a decent budget. Another is, some clubs straight up refuse or bargain MUCH MUCH more cause they want it upfront, but with the new value system in place it's we probably get the upside to it.  Also makes it harder to buy a player that springs up or is put on trsf list, you'll probably struggle for funds. Also if you get a bad takeover then it screws you up badly but less likely to happen with United, seen it happen though. 

About to start a United save. I usually play 4231 but given the problems with accommodating Pogba in a midfield two I’ve opted for a 4123 with McTominay ad the DM breaking up play, Pogba as the creator and Bruno getting forward to link up with the forwards.

I would welcome feedback.

7F5BAB74-EE67-47C3-B57F-6A951CF0A77F.jpeg

this is my 10000000th attempt at a 442. ive done some arrow as how i believe the players and roles should behave. any critique is welcome. the circle around the dlp is for his movement zone or how i believe it should be. sorry i didnt know how to the arrows

fm2022 screenshots.jpg

Edited by the SLC
update

my 1st attempt at this so please be harsh! ive paused a  cup game v preston to check on positioning. the black lines are the passes that are available (that i can see)  im hoping that the f9 moves into the empty space giving room for the inside winger to move into.  after that i have no idea what potential advances are going to materialise. 

after watching the rest of the clip. the ball was passed to the advanced forward who just then passed it back and nothing came of it

another update. I LOST 2-0

preston analysis.png

Edited by the SLC
update

17 hours ago, stevecummins78 said:

About to start a United save. I usually play 4231 but given the problems with accommodating Pogba in a midfield two I’ve opted for a 4123 with McTominay ad the DM breaking up play, Pogba as the creator and Bruno getting forward to link up with the forwards.

I would welcome feedback.

7F5BAB74-EE67-47C3-B57F-6A951CF0A77F.jpeg

Maybe to switch Pogba and McTominay - Pogba DLP and McTominay as B2B mid.

1 hora atrás, stevecummins78 disse:

I’m not sure Pogba has the defensive qualities for the DM position, but if I replace him with Rice in 22/23 I’ll move Scott to B2B

Pogba and van de Beek are doing an amazing job as DM - DLP (Su) against teams I want to dominate possession. In big games Matic is my choice as DM - DLP (De). 

Summer window for season 3 is done. Here is our business.

1294089352_season3transfers.thumb.png.feecfaa7a8758f53ef2fb8fa180c9b4a.png

Outs - As previously mentioned Brozovic and myself fell out, so year after signing him for a free he leaves with an excellent profit. I was sad to see Lingard go but we have a lot of young attackers needing a chance. Though Wan Bissaka was semi decent for meI decided to go down another route.

Ins - Rice replaces Brozovic as my dm, and in hindsight I probably would of just signed him in the 1st place. With Ronaldo and Cavani in their final seasons before reitirement, I needed to plan ahead so Vlahovic comes in to replace them and compete with Greenwood for the striker role. Kimpembe was transfer listed so couldn't turn him down, and Baku comes in as my new right back, hes abit more attacking, and can play multiple positions.

Stevens is a 16 year old regen striker, who looked good and the 1st youngster I've brought.

stevens.thumb.png.bae4dede219f978f42a6aae99a9fe9ab.png

I also have a deal agreed for a winger from Sevilla, and he will join at the end of the 3rd season.

darren.thumb.png.54d25ee0fbe70c4b13a79907138e6802.png

So going into season 3 this is my best 11, and the rest of the squad.

152912976_best11s3.thumb.png.edab51125662491764c909dbce72b79d.png

Got a fair few youngsters that I want to give time and develop. Shoretire and Pellistri both had good loan spells last season. Garner is a decent back up, and hopefully Mengi and Laird can continue their development from season 2. Diallo hasn't really done it for me, so he could possibly be sold if he doesn't perform this year.