Is Playing FM Touch Fake/Cheating?

Hi Everyone.

I dont think I can devote time to FM properly anymore. Work, family and everything else takes up too much time, and is either more necessary or more enjoyable than messing about on a computer game thats trying its best to be a second job.

But im thinking, ive been playing FM touch a bit and preferring the faster progress and streamlined feel of it.

But is it fake? are achievements on FM touch "lesser" achievements?

Tactical familiarity doesnt exist in FM touch. So assuming my tactic is half decent, im more likely to get off to a better start on FM touch than I am on the real game?

Training has no depth to it. So are we saying not bothering with training or leaving it to your assistant is irrelevant? Same with the media. Its hugely reduced.

All the elements of the game that either dont exist or are massively reduced, are these all peripheral to the game? what is FM touch doing that means the effect of NOT being able to use the media or elaborate training sessions doesnt mean player development suffers?

I really dont understand to be honest. If all the aspects of the game that are cut out are peripheral, then everyone should just play FM touch because as much as people like messing about with "defending engaged" sessions, whatever that means, theyre not meaningful.

Or

FM Touch is fake and you cant be as successful on it because all of these elements DO matter and you cant control them?

Just genuinely wondering because I like the speed you can play FM Touch with, but the fact there is less detail just makes me think its not a proper achievement doing anything on the game.

I play touch for exactly the reasons you do. If it didn’t exist I wouldn’t play FM anymore. From the point of view of creating tactics I actually think it’s far better as you don’t have to worry about familiarity affecting things so you can tweak as much as you like.

ultimately it’s just a game. As long as you’re having fun that’s what matters surely.

It's just a computer game. Not a medical license.

As long as you're having fun that's all that matters. You don't need other people to validate it.

I primarily moved to FMT because I was only able to get through maybe 2-3 seasons every edition in the full game thanks to work and other commitments. With FMT I can easily get through saves for 10+ seasons (and I don't even instant result anything) at a good speed enabling me to play multiple long term saves every edition.

It's important to stress this: if you really want to micromanage everything, then FMT is probably not for you. Especially when it comes to training. That being said, you can still control a player's individual training in much the same way you would on the full game but team sessions are definitely far more limited.

In recent years, I've found success a little harder on FMT when compared to full FM mainly because I seem to be able to control morale better in full FM through interactions. I know morale has a reduced effect in FMT but if player interactions are an important part of the game for you then play full FM.

Like @Spikey said, I'm pretty sure I'd have been done with FM if they hadn't released classic/touch when they did. If it works for you, it works.

FM Touch is very much moving in the direction of standing alone away from the FM game, so it comes down to preference. At a guess FMT would normalise the things you can't control from the FM version of the game and provide a narrower scope in which those aspects have an impact. 

I had a couple of years almost exclusively playing Touch but Touch robbed me of where my greatest strengths lay in man management, identifying youngsters through targeted scouting and in developing players. Tactics were never my forte so I very much needed those other areas of the game to make my teams competitive at the top levels.

Winning the Champions League on FMT is far harder for me than it is on the main game because my tactical thinking isn't up to enough to make changes that are great mid-game to counter an opponent. I have to manage my teams mindset and morale better going into those game and I couldn't do that on FMT. 

I've been really conflicted this year. 

The last few years I've played FMT almost exclusively, because my laptop was old. This year, I decided to try FM... and it runs, I like it, I love the customisation, but... the speed/lack of media on FMT is a huge bonus to me. I think I'm more likely to do a journeyman on FMT, and specific teams on FM.

6 hours ago, rafaelbenitez said:

I primarily moved to FMT because I was only able to get through maybe 2-3 seasons every edition in the full game thanks to work and other commitments. With FMT I can easily get through saves for 10+ seasons.

This was where I got to then my first game on Classic I got 25 seasons in as it focused just on tactics and squad building which were the bits I was interested in.

6 hours ago, santy001 said:

I had a couple of years almost exclusively playing Touch but Touch robbed me of where my greatest strengths lay in man management, identifying youngsters through targeted scouting and in developing players. Tactics were never my forte so I very much needed those other areas of the game to make my teams competitive at the top levels.

I was always terrible at the man management side so almost the complete opposite! Developing players was difficult in the early Touch versions but this has definitely been improved of late.

5 minutes ago, Malicious Penguin said:

I've been really conflicted this year. 

The last few years I've played FMT almost exclusively, because my laptop was old. This year, I decided to try FM... and it runs, I like it, I love the customisation, but... the speed/lack of media on FMT is a huge bonus to me. I think I'm more likely to do a journeyman on FMT, and specific teams on FM.

I always buy the full version every year and give it a try just to keep up to date with the new features. I may one day return to full FM when I have a bit more time and don’t want to be completely lost when I do!

It's a game, don't take it so seriously. I play Touch on the Switch and I love every moment of it. The ability to play wherever and whenever and still get the original, addictive FM experience is priceless, because same as you, I'm old now and life gets in the way a lot. Stop overthinking it and overanalyzing and just try to have fun. I find the lack of press conferences and detailed training (of which I don't know the first thing anyway) a huge relief. The desktop FM is as much a chore as it is a game, the Touch version is very much pure joy.

FM is a single player game, therefore you are cheating no one but yourself however you wish to play it. If people want to download user created tactics or radically alter the database then that is their choice.

As for whetehr FM Touch is cheating, well no. It's game just like the base FM. It's just limited in some areas. If that version meets your needs with the time you have available to play FM then there's no harm in it. LIke I said above, anything in FM that you might consider cheating is only cheating yourself.

All I ever like to see is people not brag if they know they're doing something that makes the game easier. That will never happen though.

If you're happy with how you play the game then that is all that matters really.

It is entirely a preference thing, and since there is no correct way to play the game, in the end it is only you who decides if you are happy with how you are playing. Whether that is playing full FM doing everything yourself, or playing FM Touch and flowing through seasons. Personally FM Touch feels empty to me, a bit stripped out of many of the interesting features, but it is a personal preference. 

So if you are happy playing and having a good time, then that is really all that counts!