FM21-When to throw water bottles?

I assume throwing water bottles should be working positively when the team is doing extremely poorly- and can be used even at half time. However, whenever I chose to smash the bottles, even when my team is down 0-4 HT to a team of similar scope, the squad always reacts negatively. When is the right time to smash the bottles? Hopefully someone better at FM than me knows.

When you think it will motivate your players. I am not sure I have thrown a water bottle yet, but I tend to save the more angry responses for when my team are playing lazy or just plain badly (usually the two coincide for me). Mostly I feel (and I could be wrong) that it is used to combat complacency. To give the team a kick up the ass and motivate them. Using it just when losing would have to be situational. If I am losing 4-0 away to Barcelona with a newly promoted side, I am probably not going to get super mad about it. There is no point, it is a game I will lose. Sure they will get a telling off, but I'd wait until full time and after the match. If we are 4-0 to relegation candidates while leading the league? Yeah I would be throwing all kinds of things around. 

Just remember that motivation is the only goal of team talks. Sometimes you may have to praise players when they do not really deserve it, because it is what is best. I just praised by team for a lucky 1-0 win on a penalty after missing a bunch of chances because we are close to securing promotion and I wanted to keep them in high spirits, and I do not think laying into them would help motivate them at this stage. 

3 minutes ago, sporadicsmiles said:

When you think it will motivate your players. I am not sure I have thrown a water bottle yet, but I tend to save the more angry responses for when my team are playing lazy or just plain badly (usually the two coincide for me). Mostly I feel (and I could be wrong) that it is used to combat complacency. To give the team a kick up the ass and motivate them. Using it just when losing would have to be situational. If I am losing 4-0 away to Barcelona with a newly promoted side, I am probably not going to get super mad about it. There is no point, it is a game I will lose. Sure they will get a telling off, but I'd wait until full time and after the match. If we are 4-0 to relegation candidates while leading the league? Yeah I would be throwing all kinds of things around. 

Just remember that motivation is the only goal of team talks. Sometimes you may have to praise players when they do not really deserve it, because it is what is best. I just praised by team for a lucky 1-0 win on a penalty after missing a bunch of chances because we are close to securing promotion and I wanted to keep them in high spirits, and I do not think laying into them would help motivate them at this stage. 

I was managing a side in relegation battles in the Czech Second division, and thrown the bottles while being 04 down at HT against a direct relegation opponent. If I'm losing 04 to, say, Slavia Prague, I'm surely not gonna throw anything. Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply, and you share a lot of my opinions here!

1 minute ago, MysteriousEasternPower said:

Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply, and you share a lot of my opinions here!

No worries. I think it is very tricky to answer, because it is not just match situation but also players that count. Some respond well to this, some don't. Spend enough time with a team and you get used to which players you can motivate by yelling at and which you need to praise to high heaven to get them playing well. 

Oh and if I was 4-0 down to a fellow relegation candidate, they would get some water bottles flung their way, even if it was just to make me feel better!

Edited by sporadicsmiles

I've done it a couple of times and we have came back in the second half to win but its usually only when we are on a really bad run, everything is going against us and i'm pissed off in real life with the game, then we get a game where they have been awful and i've had enough and throw the water bottle. The last time they weren't happy and wanted a meeting where i proceeded to get angry and kick a chair which seemed to motivate the players and actually stopped the really bad run we were on.

I use it when losing/drawing with mid-lower end of the league teams, or when I’ve been outplayed and taking a 3/4/5-0 shilacking.

I have also used it when 2-0 against the bottom of the league team, but having only 2 shots on goal and being outplayed - the players didn’t like it, but used their anger to win 6-1 overall with 2 goals (and 1 disallowed) in the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half.

also i would say it isn't worth doing if you are new to the dressing room, have a low rep for the team you are managing or the like. if players don't fully respect you then you are unlikely to get a good reaction. if you have the full backing of your squad and well bedded in at the club then throwing the bottles should definitely be used from time to time if your side are not performing imo.

I've done it twice.  The first time was after a narrow defeat, trying it out on the demo before I began a long term save, and nearly all the players reacted negatively.

The second was after we'd been hammered at home in an insipid performance against our local rivals I expected us to win.  Most players reacted positively, a few negatively, not many had no reaction.  My take from that small sample is that it should only be done when 100% justified and that won't motivate everyone.

• 1 month later...