[FM21] Chelsea Football Club - Time for glory

MBJ96

Well, I finally took the time to see out my first season with Chelsea and here's how things ended up:

Premier League: 3rd - 76 pts (22W - 10D - 6L)

Champions League: Winner - (v Bayern 6-2)

FA Cup: Fifth Round (Brentford)

League Cup: Third Round (Leicester)

Player Stats

Top Scorers: Werner - 19, Abraham - 14, Giroud - 14

Most Assists: James - 12, Havertz - 9, Ziyech - 9 

Summary

This season was a bit of a mess and left a lot to be desired in most competitions. I spent a lot of the season tinkering with tactics, getting very close to the football I wanted to be played only to go on a streak of draws and losses. The player stats probably allude to this, with no one really having a stand out season with James maybe being the exception. I spent most of the season playing a 4-3-3 DM and finished playing a 4-2-3-1. The latter was responsible for the unbelievable, almost fluke-like run in the Champions League. Making it to the Quarter Finals was great, and we got a favorable draw against Porto which gave us the chance to make up for the Premier League slog with a possible Semi Final showing. After a 1-2 first leg away loss, which was followed by a loss to Man City with the same scoreline, I was worried the boys wouldn't be up for it home leg. I was pleasantly surprised by a dominating 4-1 win at the Bridge, which saw us draw Man United in the semis. Having recorded a 2-0 win and 1-1 draw with them in the league, I figured we had a chance, but the football we were producing at the moment was far from consistent. Playing the first leg away at Old Trafford, we were unlucky to record a 0-1 loss, having a number of chances but not converting any. An away goal would have been great, but it turned out we didn't need it. Back at the Bridge for the second leg, the boys were able to bang in another 4 goals and keep a clean sheet as United were swatted aside, seeing us through to a highly unlikely finals appearance! The bad news, however, was that we drew Bayern, whose squad looked better than ours in just about every position by some bit. In my mind, I was happy to reach the final, thinking it'd placate the board and give some me some favor going into the next season, so I was fine with whatever the result may be. End of season 0-1 losses in the league to lowly opponents Brighton and relegated Newcastle didn't breed any sort of confidence or momentum either, making a thumping from Bayern a realistic possibility. Matchday came and any negative feelings were quickly dispelled as a quickfire, first half brace from Werner (25', 33') saw us go into halftime 2-0 up. I was praying that the squad wouldn't get complacent and let Bayern back into the match and a 53' goal by Leroy Sane gave a glimpse of what a Bayern comeback could look like, but it wasn't to be. Three goals over the next 22 minutes (Ziyech 61', 77', Pulisic 83') were too much for even this Bayern squad, as the boys absolutely dominated the match and proved to be the far better side on the day. Gnabry helped them save face just a bit with a goal in the 89th minute, only to be answered immediately with another goal from Pulisic. All-in-all, a fantastic day for the club, with 3 braces seeing us win our second Champions League trophy. 

Next Season

I'm quite looking forward to the 2021/22 season, as there is much work to be done to lighten the squad, upgrade a couple of positions and focus on nailing down a more consistent tactic. While the Champions League win will certainly buy me sometime, I can't imagine the board would be too happy with a similar showing in the league and cup competitions, so a bit of pressure is welcomed to get a little more out of the squad to challenge Man City and Liverpool next season. Hopefully I'll be able to post an update of said progress soon!

On 05/01/2021 at 11:22, dino said:

@pitchposh Impressive Champions League victory. That must be one of highest scorelines in a final ever.

It's certainly got to be up there. When I reached Champions League finals in the past, they always seemed to be much tighter affairs no matter who the opposition was, but I guess it was just a great day for goals!

2021/22 Review

Premier League:
Was a close race for a very long time, but I lost all momentum at the end of the season, when especially Tammy Abraham stopped scoring. Finished second with a great margin.

FA Cup:
Lost 3-0 against Liverpool in the third round.

Champions League:
Made in to the semifinals where AC Milan proved to be too strong, although a great comeback was close.

Carabao Cup:
Lost in the third round against Newcastle on penalties. This was quite bad as my squad depth needed some extra games.

Performances:
Best players
Mason Mount – What a season for the Englishman. 12 goals and 11 assists as box-box midfielder, although he took corners.
Kurt Zouma – Every corner kick was targeted at Zouma, who came flying at the far post. That gave 12 goals. Was also very solid defensively.
Hakim Ziyech – My wizard. Creates so many chances. In January he rejected a new contract and wanted to go, but luckily, he is now happy to stay.
Gianluigi Donnarumma – I got my self a new first choice goalkeeper for the next ten years. Very good first season.

Worst players
Christian Pulisic – Was great in the first season, but only scored two goals and made one assist in 21 games. Will try to sell him now.
Callum Hudson-Odoi – Only a fringe player, but he did not deliver. Could also be sold.

2022/23 preview

Transfers

In:
Alessandro Bastoni (Inter) - £70m
Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) - £4m

Out:
Christian Pulisic (Man United) - £60m
Mateo Kovacic (Man United) - £58m
Jorginho (Man United) - £27m
Ross Barkley (Inter) - £19m
Edouard Mendy (Tottenham) – £16m
Kepa Arrizabalaga (Roma) - £14m
Ethan Ampadu (Roma) - £7m
Andrea Papetti (Sheffield United) – Loan

Manchester United apparently decided to buy some of my left overs. Can’t complain as they paid good money for them. Also got rid of some other players who did not have a role to play in my team.

Needed a new CB as Thiago Silva retired, and Bastoni is much like Zouma, although he also can play with the ball. Brought Schmeichel in to be backup and mentoring Donnarumma.

Have been testing a new kind of 4-2-3-1 in pre-season, which allows the fullbacks to come further forward, while I have two DM’s instead of CM’s. That’s why I have trained Mount to be a Segundo Volante, which he should be capable of.

My team look like this:

GK: Donnarumma, Schmeichel
RB: James, Menino
CB: Zouma, Bastoni
CB: Alaba, Tomori
LB: Chilwell, Cox (17 y old regen) – Alaba will also play here
DM: Kanté, Camavinga, Essien (17 y old regen, great talent)
DM: Mount, Gallagher – Camavinga will play here too
RW: Havertz, Hudson-Odoi
OM: Foden, Loftus-Cheek (considering letting him go)
LW: Ziyech, Werner
SS: Abraham, Calvert-Lewin

Have more than two billion in the bank, and I'm really triyng considering making a marquee signing like Haaland or Mbappé. What do you say? What could my team need?

2 hours ago, FMunderachiever said:

My Valencia save is getting a little stale and fancy a new club, and i feel Chelsea is exactly what im looking for. Not the best but can challenge, have money but need improving.

Think ill join the thread and start posting if thats ok

Welcome mate, the more the merrier! Best of luck, let us know how you get on. 

44 minutes ago, MBJ96 said:

2022/23 preview

Transfers

In:
Alessandro Bastoni (Inter) - £70m
Kasper Schmeichel (Leicester) - £4m

Out:
Christian Pulisic (Man United) - £60m
Mateo Kovacic (Man United) - £58m
Jorginho (Man United) - £27m
Ross Barkley (Inter) - £19m
Edouard Mendy (Tottenham) – £16m
Kepa Arrizabalaga (Roma) - £14m
Ethan Ampadu (Roma) - £7m
Andrea Papetti (Sheffield United) – Loan

Manchester United apparently decided to buy some of my left overs. Can’t complain as they paid good money for them. Also got rid of some other players who did not have a role to play in my team.

Needed a new CB as Thiago Silva retired, and Bastoni is much like Zouma, although he also can play with the ball. Brought Schmeichel in to be backup and mentoring Donnarumma.

Have been testing a new kind of 4-2-3-1 in pre-season, which allows the fullbacks to come further forward, while I have two DM’s instead of CM’s. That’s why I have trained Mount to be a Segundo Volante, which he should be capable of.

My team look like this:

GK: Donnarumma, Schmeichel
RB: James, Menino
CB: Zouma, Bastoni
CB: Alaba, Tomori
LB: Chilwell, Cox (17 y old regen) – Alaba will also play here
DM: Kanté, Camavinga, Essien (17 y old regen, great talent)
DM: Mount, Gallagher – Camavinga will play here too
RW: Havertz, Hudson-Odoi
OM: Foden, Loftus-Cheek (considering letting him go)
LW: Ziyech, Werner
SS: Abraham, Calvert-Lewin

Have more than two billion in the bank, and I'm really triyng considering making a marquee signing like Haaland or Mbappé. What do you say? What could my team need?

2 billion? What pounds? 

Ive loaded my Chelsea save using the following database:

database.thumb.png.5be4562ea18dcbf9511283d917fe040c.pngcdatabase.thumb.png.b7f5fc31645083cfa7b835c4abe85acf.png

Ive gone for first window off as usual, so have to start with Lampards team and go from there like its real life.

First impressions are:

• Despite the money spent, i wouldnt say Chelsea have top top quality in the squad. Ive been toying with playing Werner off the left which i think Chelsea have done quite a bit this season but im not convinced about Abraham through the middle if i was to do that. I quite like the solidarity and work rate of the central midfield with Kante and Mount but perhaps just lacking a little creativity in there. Kovacic looks really nice for a deep lying playmaker role.

• I dont want to write off the old guard just yet. I expected i would be selling Alonso, but he has done a really good job in preseason, and Azpilicueta looks super solid. I think Zouma and Tiago Silva is a very solid partnership although would like someone a little more comfortable on the ball than Zouma.

• We can generate a lot of cash from sales. I had no idea some of these players were still Chelsea players, but Drinkwater, Bakayogo, Loftus Cheek, Kenedy, Zappacosta, Rahman, Batschauyi could all realistically be moved on to generate extra budget.

• First impressions are id like a box to box midfielder with more passing ability than Mount has. Maybe someone of the likes of Bentancur, Brozovic or depending on how season 1 goes, Goretzka would be ideal. An out and out forward would be nice too. HAS to be Haaland. Maybe a centreback but we will see how the season goes.

• Been handed a really tough start. Fulham (a) is tricky, then Spurs (h), Wolves (a), Man Utd (h), Everton (a), Man City (h)....pretty brutal when you also factor in the Carabao matches but a good chance to lay down an early marker.

You'll have to use Mount. He will turn out just great. Have been using him as box to bix midfielder for two seasons, and he has been one my top three players overall. 

Abraham has also been brilliant. Scoring a lot of goals, but I understand why you would want to upgrade. Thinking about the same my self. 

On 09/01/2021 at 20:58, MBJ96 said:

I personally bought Haaland (Mostly cause I used Mbappe last year's edition). Was a bit of a 'redundant' signing since Werner performed out of this world for me, but I felt long-term Haaland was the right push to make as he's a massive quality jump.

Have to say, I've not looked back one single moment. Absolute monster in the air, performs well with link up play and a lethal finisher.

27 minutes ago, MBJ96 said:

You'll have to use Mount. He will turn out just great. Have been using him as box to bix midfielder for two seasons, and he has been one my top three players overall. 

Abraham has also been brilliant. Scoring a lot of goals, but I understand why you would want to upgrade. Thinking about the same my self. 

I personally couldn't get Abraham to fire. He was very hot and cold. Some games he scored, others you barely knew if he was on the pitch, unlike Werner who at least created some danger. Sold him in my third season after having him loaned out in the second season. Not upset because of his performances, but the fact he was homegrown at the club made it a bittersweet parting.

Very early days for me in my Chelsea save, but i cant put my finger on why we are so wildly inconsistent.

Champions League performances are excellent. scored a 3-0 win away at RB Leipzig and a 3-1 away win at Atalanta.

Yet in the league, away from home we seem really ponderous and ineffective.

I am not convinced at all about any of the goalkeepers. Mendy has already made some atrocious mistakes but Kepa looks average.

Brighton beat me 2-1 at the Amex playing a strange wingback formation with two AM's in behind a central striker. I just couldnt adapt to it even after euqalising they always looked more likely to score. Ive also lost away to Everton 2-1, yet beat Man Utd at home 2-0, Palace 4-0 and totally outplayed Spurs only to draw somehow.

I dont think we can win the title, but im aiming for top 4 and then to change the squad with some signings

On 13/01/2021 at 13:21, FMunderachiever said:

Very early days for me in my Chelsea save, but i cant put my finger on why we are so wildly inconsistent.

Champions League performances are excellent. scored a 3-0 win away at RB Leipzig and a 3-1 away win at Atalanta.

Yet in the league, away from home we seem really ponderous and ineffective.

I am not convinced at all about any of the goalkeepers. Mendy has already made some atrocious mistakes but Kepa looks average.

Brighton beat me 2-1 at the Amex playing a strange wingback formation with two AM's in behind a central striker. I just couldnt adapt to it even after euqalising they always looked more likely to score. Ive also lost away to Everton 2-1, yet beat Man Utd at home 2-0, Palace 4-0 and totally outplayed Spurs only to draw somehow.

I dont think we can win the title, but im aiming for top 4 and then to change the squad with some signings

Haven't been back on this month due to work commitments so still in pre season of season 2.

I found inconsistency to be the case in stages of the first season, and actually started again after my first Chelsea save reached October. What formation are you using?

I wanted to play 4-3-3 with Kante as a holder and then 2 of Mount, Havertz and Kovacic as more attack minded midfielders but it just didn't seem to work well so in my second save I changed this to a 4-2-3-1 which was much improved. I also scrapped the idea to play Werner from the left as I don't think he's very effective there and is far more potent playing centrally. Tammy is a more than able backup to him and Pulisic and Ziyech can then operate on the wings. He doesn't look the best, but Hudson Odoi has played well on my save in the first season and really stepped up to being the third choice winger who got plenty of game time being able to play on either side.

I agree with the keepers too. I'd say Mendy was serviceable first season, but I managed to get Donnarumma on a free after the first season to demote him to backup. You really want to try to move Kepa on, he's not good enough and at the start of the game still has a 5 year contract on £150k per week!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys how is everyone not been on the forums here much in years back around 2012 i think was when i was last consistently around. i have not been doing cfc saves much over the years since i been looking for more of a challenge but im back and about to start a cfc save any tips for this year?

On 05/02/2021 at 20:27, silv3rf0xx said:

Hi guys how is everyone not been on the forums here much in years back around 2012 i think was when i was last consistently around. i have not been doing cfc saves much over the years since i been looking for more of a challenge but im back and about to start a cfc save any tips for this year?

Welcome back. Main tip I would offer is to wait until the next major patch is released before starting a long term save - hopefully it will finally fix most of the bugs that have been raised in the Match Engine AI & Tactics forum, including statistics, youth intake etc......

Edited by mhaffy

Season 3 review

Premier League: Won the league by a big margin. Did not lose a game. Collected 100 points. Scored 103 and conceded 19.

Champions League: The quarterfinals against Atlético Madrid were the end. Both games ended 0-0 and we lost in penalty shootouts.

FA Cup: Lost in 3. Round against Everton. Very disappointing.

Carabao Cup: Lost in the semifinal against Man U.

Top five players

Kurt Zouma – Average rating of 7,44. Played 46 games and scored 14 goals. Completed 96 % of his passes.
David Alaba – Average rating of 7,34. Played 34 (8) games. Two goals and 14 assists.
Reece James – Average rating of 7,33. Played 44 (1) games with two goals and seven assists.
Hakim Ziyech – Average rating of 7,33. Played 28 (16) games and scored seven goals and made 21 assists.
Tammy Abraham – Average rating of 7,28. Played 44 games with 35 goals to his name (22,35 xG).

Tactics

Developed a new formation throughout the season, which destroyed all opponents who weren’t a top team. 4-3-3 with three CM’s and three strikers. My wingbacks making the width and centrally players as Foden, Havertz, Mount and Camavinga flourished.

Against bigger opponents I used my 4-2-3-1, which have some stability defensively. But it is also very effective offensively. In this tactic Abraham scores a lot af goals as my striker.

I would also like to highlight my set pieces. Kurt Zouma is a serious beast. He has scored 14 goals this season, and also Alessandro Bastoni has got some goals. Just sending all my corners to the far post.

What’s next?

I’m thinking about letting Kanté go. He’s contract is running out, and he is not a regular starter anymore. But I really like him, and he is still world class.

Ruben Loftus-Cheek will be sold (if possible). He is not good enough, and this is the last chance to get rid of him before the contract runs out.

Got two regens who will be 18 years old very soon. Had them loaned out to clubs in The Championship in the last half part of this season. They did great, but they do not have Premier League quality just yet.
A third regen, a young striker, will be staying.

Current squad

GK: Gianluigi Donnarumma, Kasper Schmeichel – Donnarumma is a top top goalkeeper. Will be my first choice for years to come. Schmeichel has one year left.
RB: Reece James, Gabriel Menino – James is the undisputed number one, but he keeps wanting to leave the club. But I won’t let him, and he continues to deliver on the pitch. Menino is a Brazilian national team player and a great backup.
CB: Kurt Zouma, Alessandro Bastoni, Fikayo Tomori – Zouma og Bastoni are so powerful. Amazing centrebacks. Winning all duels in the air and Bastoni is a great passer as well. Tomori a good backup, but he wants to play more. I’m considering selling Tomori and instead buy Adarabiyo, who has developed fantastic.
LB: David Alaba (also playing CB), Ben Chilwell, Dwayne Cox (Regen) – This is the first season where Alaba has played a lot at left back. He has done amazing, and Chilwell is almost at his level. Cox is still young, but he has 4,5 potential.
CM: Mason Mount, Eduardo Camavinga, N’Golo Kanté, Conor Gallagher, Billy Gilmour, James Essien (Regen) – Mount is amazing as BBM. Him and Camavinga are a great duo. If I let Kanté go, I will need to sign someone. Gallagher and Gilmour a fine, but they won’t win titles for me. Essien looks like a new Kanté, but he still lacks some quality. Has five star potential.
RW: Kai Havertz, Hakim Ziyech – Havertz is also playing as deep lying forward in my 4-3-3 against smaller teams. Ziyech is delivering a lot of assists, but he is not first choice.
OM: Phil Foden, Ruben Loftus-Cheek – Foden is world class, but his performances are not quite there. Loftus-Cheek is not good enough.
LW: Timo Werner, Callum Hudson-Odoi – Werner is nothing spectacular, but he just keeps scoring +15 league goals. Hudson-Odoi has flourished this season and just had his contract extended. Can play everywhere in the frontline and he is scoring goals.
SS: Tammy Abraham, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Keren Tal (Regen) – Abraham delivers goals, goals, goals. Calvert-Lewin is happy to be backup, and he has been better this season than his first at the club. Got Tal this season, and he has already scored some goals. Is a freaking monster in the air and has good stats allround – but he really lacks finishing (only 10 at the moment).

How does Werner perform for everyone on here? I have an option as Arsenal manager to pick him up for under £30m. He will join for the start of the 3rd season, he hasn't really had a look in at Chelsea, and suffered an injury midway through his first season. Here are his attributes and the contract he will sign under? Is he the 30 goals a season striker he has been on previous versions of the game?

41089830_wernercontract.PNG.9062a50c41625dedc1ee46fbc6992f31.PNG

1736726405_wernerattributes..thumb.PNG.78e1bbf25c7ee4c0dee1c48892681e7e.PNG

• 1 month later...

Just started my final game with Chelsea. 

Immediately Reece James picks up a broken leg.. but I have signed Danilo d’Ambrosio on a loan deal until January to cover for him. 

My aim is to play a narrow 4-1-3-2 with wingbacks. That’s why Hudson-Odoi was loaned out to Hertha Berlin. Think Pulisic could be getting some games as striker - he has quite decent finishing attributes. 

• 1 month later...

Finished my first season with chelsea and what a season won the league unbeaten and champıons league(agaınst city).other cups lost agaınst arsenal and united at first rounds.I sıgned alaba on free buendia and jesus corona and palhınha.Werner had amazıng season wıth more than 40 goals ın all competıtıons ziyech had 20 mount has 24 asists ın league.ı have 3 amazıng youth players from ıntake.ı played 4231 gegenpress with short passıng and hıgh tempo adjustments.any advice about 2 season?they tend to drop deeper ı thınk ı m havıng hard tıme at breakıng oppısıtıon 

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up playing a bit of my Chelsea save over the last week leading up to Saturday's Champions League Final. Had quite a similar leadup to the CL final in my save, losing to Aston Villa on the final day of the league 1-2, losing to Liverpool in the FA Cup Final, and re-playing an always-scary Bayern team again after beating them the previous season 6-2. I'll post an update of my save soon, but my Chels played as brilliantly as our boys did on Saturday and were able to see off an incredible Bayern squad for the second straight season.

Up the Chels! 

• 1 month later...

Just started a new save with Chelsea. Ive been playing as Litex Lovech in the Bulgarian 2nd division and I wanted a fun save with plenty of cash flying around.

Transfers in

Pau Torres (CD)

Kaio Jorge (ST)

Transfers out

Marcus Alonso

Had a tough first 2 games to the season

Arsenal (H) - 2-0 win

Man City (A) - 3-1 loss

Ipswich (H) - 6-0 win (Carabao Cup)

A welcome change of pace from the slog in Bulgaria with terrible finances.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this one for FM22, although assume a thread will come.  They look pretty good.  Won't give any PAs away, but still think Liverpool, United and City are rated too highly relative to Chelsea and Champions League winners (Kante comes to mind, potentially Mount and Christensen also).  Always wonder if the English database is compiled by Trent AlexAnders mum.

Lukaku is a beast in FM22 - will be fun.  Need to address CBs, and thinking De Ligt, Kounde, etc will do nicely!

8 hours ago, Phil930 said:

Bumping this one for FM22, although assume a thread will come.  They look pretty good.  Won't give any PAs away, but still think Liverpool, United and City are rated too highly relative to Chelsea and Champions League winners (Kante comes to mind, potentially Mount and Christensen also).  Always wonder if the English database is compiled by Trent AlexAnders mum.

Lukaku is a beast in FM22 - will be fun.  Need to address CBs, and thinking De Ligt, Kounde, etc will do nicely!

De Ligt, Kounde, dont forget about Bastoni! Quite like his all round profile. And he's a left footer. Always nice to have on the left side. Bought him in FM 21.

1 hour ago, Benoit2 said:

De Ligt, Kounde, dont forget about Bastoni! Quite like his all round profile. And he's a left footer. Always nice to have on the left side. Bought him in FM 21.

For sure, Bastoni might be the go to.  Araujo at Barca looks incredible also, Fofana needs to come to London, and Carboni at Cagliari looks interesting (left footer also).

• 1 month later...