[FM20] Manchester United: Falling Giant...

stevemc

@Gee_Simpson
I use this for seeing out games:

81a0a8cb045f6ab3b4f3cd184e56378f.png 

If I am down a goal, I usually increase the mentality to attacking and change the IF and SV to an attacking duty. 

Against top opponents I use oppossition instructions on a few key players.

If the other side is creating loads of chanches while I struggle, I tend to switch to catious and tick pass into space.

Edited by Vizzini

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of my main problems, I don't know what to change if I'm losing, or if I need a goal, especially with my 4231 which seems much less flexible vs a 4123. As I said, hopefully I can get the striker to score in the 4123 because then I'll probably ditch the 4231 for most games at least. I would probably still have the 4231 as a backup if I really needed a goal. 

First season I usually have the first window disabled, so I usually have to work with the squad you get. I'll probably do that again, my target for season 1 is usually top 4.

2 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I have tried a PF (A) with 'roam from position', a F9, CF (A) also, even a Treq :lol:

I basically am the person who loves their striker to score most of the goals, growing up watching R9 influenced me. I know nowadays the striker in some real life systems plays more part of the team and isn't always the top goalscorer (Liverpool for example) but I always want my striker to be prolific.

Here's my 4123, any advice would be great. I get the feeling on here that the 4123 is more balanced and gets better results vs a 4231 but I could be wrong.

I'll also link my 4231, this originally had the Winger (A) at the AMR slot, but I was advised to drop him to MR, so he commits defenders earlier in the build up. AM (S) had 'roam' and 'takes more risks'. DLP (D) had 'takes more risks'.

Screenshot (557).png

Screenshot (558).png

I couldn't for one get Rashford firing espeically as an Inverted winger so changing him to a Inside Forward for second season. I'd swap Bruno and Pogba roles around if you do intend to use the Inverted Winger due to that the Mezzela drifts wide and Inverted Winger don't cut inside as much as a Inside Forward does. I'd make Garner a Deeplying Playmaker seems to kill it there for me atleast. Martial is a stone cold finisher as a Complete Forward -Attack. I've got Pogba as a Advanced Playmaker and he has similar goals&assists to Bruno as a Mezzela.

24 minutes ago, Gungner said:

I'm jealous of all of you that got a cash injection to your transfer budget i january first season... I just reached january, and I got nothing :( :p 

My summer window first season I've got over £300 million with around £100 or so in sales. Think it got pumped up to £99-£120 million for January though I'd been top for good few months too. Depends on your position and possibly on your spending in the summer too I barely spent anything apart from the signings in real life and then 3 16-17 year olds on pre contract's 

2 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

My summer window first season I've got over £300 million with around £100 or so in sales. Think it got pumped up to £99-£120 million for January though I'd been top for good few months too. Depends on your position and possibly on your spending in the summer too I barely spent anything apart from the signings in real life and then 3 16-17 year olds on pre contract's 

I was number one as well. I'd spent £20 mil in pre-season to bring in Bellingham. That was it. 

24 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

I couldn't for one get Rashford firing espeically as an Inverted winger so changing him to a Inside Forward for second season. I'd swap Bruno and Pogba roles around if you do intend to use the Inverted Winger due to that the Mezzela drifts wide and Inverted Winger don't cut inside as much as a Inside Forward does. I'd make Garner a Deeplying Playmaker seems to kill it there for me atleast. Martial is a stone cold finisher as a Complete Forward -Attack. I've got Pogba as a Advanced Playmaker and he has similar goals&assists to Bruno as a Mezzela.

Thanks for the advice mate. I reckon I'll be sticking with the 4123 if I can get my striker firing, as it suits more players, 4231 isn't that flexible a system due to it being top heavy. 

If I swapped Bruno and Pogba, would a MEZ (A) with a IF (A) not be too much on one side because they're both on attack duty? Also funny you mention that about Rashford, he's the opposite for me lol, in my 4231 anyway, I had him as IF (S) and he was ineffective, I switched him to IW (S) and he started to bang the goals in :D 

I like the RPM/MEZ combo because I was told by Rashidi that it replicates Xavi and Iniesta at Barca, he told me on FM they would either be a combo of 2x MEZ, RPM/MEZ (A) or RPM/AP (A). I could try Garner as a DLP (D) but then McTominay wouldn't have a place, maybe I could just keep him as a HB when he plays instead, as he's not creative enough to be a DLP. Yeah for the striker I'll either be using PF (A) with 'roam from position', CF (A), or AF, I'll need to have a play around and see what works best. I don't see Greenwood making it as the lone striker because he's pretty one dimensional, but I suppose you could train him to become more rounded. I feel he works well at AMR as an Inside Forward. Great thing about him is he's two footed so can play on either wing. 

I don't think I'll be starting from January again, I'm not good enough at the game I don't think to pull it off. I feel I need a pre season and to get my match prep up, it certainly didn't work with my 4231 starting in January 2020 anyway. What do people do regarding Martial? Do you all start early pre season in England so he's injured at the beginning or do you pick another date so he's fit? I usually pick early pre season for England and he's always injured along with Shaw. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

1 minute ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Thanks for the advice mate. I reckon I'll be sticking with the 4123 if I can get my striker firing, as it suits more players, 4231 isn't that flexible a system due to it being top heavy. 

If I swapped Bruno and Pogba, would a MEZ (A) with a IF (A) not be too much on one side because they're both on attack duty? Also funny you mention that about Rashford, he's the opposite for me lol, in my 4231 anyway, I had him as IF (S) and he was ineffective, I switched him to IW (S) and he started to bang the goals in :D 

I like the RPM/MEZ combo because I was told by Rashidi that it replicates Xavi and Iniesta at Barca, he told me on FM they would either be a combo of 2x MEZ, RPM/MEZ (A) or RPM/AP (A). I could try Garner as a DLP (D) but then McTominay wouldn't have a place, maybe I could just keep him as a HB when he plays instead, as he's not creative enough to be a DLP. Yeah for the striker I'll either be using PF (A) with 'roam from position', CF (A), or AF, I'll need to have a play around and see what works best. I don't see Greenwood making it as the lone striker because he's pretty one dimensional, but I suppose you could train him to become more rounded. I feel he works well at AMR as an Inside Forward. Great thing about him is he's two footed so can play on either wing. 

With the Mezzela if he has the ball he will drift wide and the Inside Forward will cut inside or atleast how it happens on my tactic atleast. I may have to try Rashford on both see if he does better on one or the other. Ah I wanted to get Pogba scoring as he's far too good for a Deep-lying Playmaker like some use him as. Yeah I used McTominay against strong attackers & 2 striker partnership's as Half Back. I sold him in summer for around £45.5million as he doesn't really have the place in my team so offered him out soon as season finished and chinese club came in for him. Martial took a little while to score more but few weeks after he started banging in goals and ended runner up in top scorer for league. Yeah I'm training Greenwood as a Complete Forward along with Unuvar. May need to loan Greenwood out if he is to make it as a striker. His strength is quite low for a lone striker

9 minutes ago, Gungner said:

Yeah well... what ya gonna do?
Guess it won't be any winter signings from me. 

I didn't sign anyone if it's any consolation with the extra cash anyway 

46 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

With the Mezzela if he has the ball he will drift wide and the Inside Forward will cut inside or atleast how it happens on my tactic atleast. I may have to try Rashford on both see if he does better on one or the other. Ah I wanted to get Pogba scoring as he's far too good for a Deep-lying Playmaker like some use him as. Yeah I used McTominay against strong attackers & 2 striker partnership's as Half Back. I sold him in summer for around £45.5million as he doesn't really have the place in my team so offered him out soon as season finished and chinese club came in for him. Martial took a little while to score more but few weeks after he started banging in goals and ended runner up in top scorer for league. Yeah I'm training Greenwood as a Complete Forward along with Unuvar. May need to loan Greenwood out if he is to make it as a striker. His strength is quite low for a lone striker

Yeah I want Pogba in amongst the goals and RPM does that too because he roams and gets forward a lot compared to a DLP (S). Yeah I'll be training Greenwood to be more complete but I can imagine him ending up being the IF on the right only. 

What highlights do you all usually have games set to? I was on comprehensive but recently switched to extended which is a bit quicker. I also run 25 leagues atm but considering reducing it to progress even quicker, I have a i9 9900k though so I can get away with running more leagues. I was running 88 leagues at first lol, then reduced to 50, now reduced that further to 25.

Does everyone here start season 1 with Martial injured for the first few months? Also I gave Bellingham a future transfer to Dortmund, and when he joins they have him as a 'star player' straight away, so I'm guessing it will be tough to buy him in the future, will be interesting to see how much they demand. 

Edited by Gee_Simpson

3 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Yeah I want Pogba in amongst the goals and RPM does that too because he roams and gets forward a lot compared to a DLP (S). Yeah I'll be training Greenwood to be more complete but I can imagine him ending up being the IF on the right only. 

What highlights do you all usually have games set to? I was on comprehensive but recently switched to extended which is a bit quicker. I also run 25 leagues atm but considering reducing it to progress even quicker, I have a i9 9900k though so I can get away with running more leagues. I was running 88 leagues at first lol, then reduced to 50, now reduced that further to 25.

So does everyone here start with Martial injured for the first few months?

Can't recall Martial being injured but looking back at fixtures for preseason for first season he wasn't in on the goals until the second from last friendly end of July. Yeah Pogba moves around in the opposition box for me so it's been working in an Advance Playmaker role but if I was to start another United save may try him as a Roaming Playmaker see how he fairs in that role. 

I use extended. Yeah doubt I could run that much lol. I have the latter i7 think i7 7700 or something like that. Will look at the i9 9900k when the price drops down a bit lol 

27 minutes ago, Chapman7 said:

Can't recall Martial being injured but looking back at fixtures for preseason for first season he wasn't in on the goals until the second from last friendly end of July. Yeah Pogba moves around in the opposition box for me so it's been working in an Advance Playmaker role but if I was to start another United save may try him as a Roaming Playmaker see how he fairs in that role. 

I use extended. Yeah doubt I could run that much lol. I have the latter i7 think i7 7700 or something like that. Will look at the i9 9900k when the price drops down a bit lol 

Everytime I start using England's early pre season on database 20.4 Martial is injured until around November 1st season. He did get injured irl in 2019 for a few months but that wasn't until mid August, on transfermarkt it says he was injured August 25th 2019 to October 20th 2019, so I'm not sure why they have him set to injured in game when you start June 2019. I'll try a different countries start date to see if it goes away, as I would like to be able to use him from the start of the season. Usually his pace and acceleration drops by 1 each because of his early injury which is really annoying. 

i7 7700 is still good though, I upgraded to the i9 9900k from a i7 3770 so it's obviously a big difference now. Still though I'm pretty impatient so may look to run under 20 leagues, but I worry with less leagues some teams won't be as competitive in Europe because their league isn't loaded.

Edited by Gee_Simpson

13 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Everytime I start using England's early pre season on database 20.4 Martial is injured until around November 1st season. He did get injured irl in 2019 for a few months but that wasn't until mid August, on transfermarkt it says he was injured August 25th 2019 to October 20th 2019, so I'm not sure why they have him set to injured in game when you start June 2019. I'll try a different countries start date to see if it goes away, as I would like to be able to use him from the start of the season. Usually his pace and acceleration drops by 1 each because of his early injury which is really annoying. 

i7 7700 is still good though, I upgraded to the i9 9900k from a i7 3770 so it's obviously a big difference now. Still though I'm pretty impatient so may look to run under 20 leagues, but I worry with less leagues some teams won't be as competitive in Europe because their league isn't loaded.

Strange I've just started a new save to see if it is the same as yours and Martial is injury free when I start the game at 24 June. Don't know if you it's cause you've used the database you've downloaded for starting when we were doing poor in the league. 

Yeah the i7 7700K is good but I mean I plan to upgrade to it in couple years or so when it's more of a suitable price to do so lol 

2 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

Strange I've just started a new save to see if it is the same as yours and Martial is injury free when I start the game at 24 June. Don't know if you it's cause you've used the database you've downloaded for starting when we were doing poor in the league. 

Yeah the i7 7700K is good but I mean I plan to upgrade to it in couple years or so when it's more of a suitable price to do so lol 

Hmm...I'll have to have a look but it was like that for me before I downloaded those fixtures too. 

49 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

Hmm...I'll have to have a look but it was like that for me before I downloaded those fixtures too. 

If not that then I have no idea what it could be 

On 29/07/2020 at 00:31, Gee_Simpson said:

Hmm I would choose Neres over Rodriguez. Imo Rodriguez would feel to me like another Di Maria or Sanchez signing. 

I'll throw a spanner in your works and say Viktor Tsygankov(actually Tsyhankov). 

Reminds me a bit of Mahrez. 

On 02/08/2020 at 20:03, Vizzini said:

The second one looks good too, although I would remove the pressing and d-line TI's there as well. How does the AMC play? If he is getting low ratings and you see him in the same space as Pogba I would consider putting him on an attacking duty to exploit the space that the striker creates. 

Didn't notice this edit.

The 4231 scores more and steamrollers teams but tends to struggle away vs the big 5. The AMC usually has poor ratings, Bruno doesn't do much really for me at AMC in the big games.

I was actually so annoyed over not getting an injection to my transferbudget in January, that I quit the save and deleted it :D

Maybe not the best decision in hindsight. So I'm debating with myself wether to start over or try someone new. 

3 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

:lol:

I know, I know... I knew those words would come back to haunt me. But to be fair, I don't know if I'll be starting over :D

Never mentioned anything about the fun of rage-quitting :D

12 hours ago, Chapman7 said:

If not that then I have no idea what it could be 

Ah okay, you must not be starting with an England based start like I've been doing (earliest England start is July 1st), as I have also just started with a Scotland based start 24th June and both Martial and Shaw are fit :thup:

Edited by Gee_Simpson

3 hours ago, OllieGrocott said:

Has anyone had any success with playing a Gegenpress style?

I've used Gegenpress with nearly all of my teams I've managed, but I'm not sure if it would work with United

Have a look at teamwork, work rate and stamina for those who will start most games, if the attributes look good it has a decent chance of working.

Edited by Vizzini

16 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

The 4231 scores more and steamrollers teams but tends to struggle away vs the big 5. The AMC usually has poor ratings, Bruno doesn't do much really for me at AMC in the big games

If I go with the 4231, what AMC role could I use? I would like to get more goals out of Bruno as he doesn't get many as a AM (S), I'm thinking Treq? 

@Vizzini

4 minutes ago, Gee_Simpson said:

If I go with the 4231, what AMC role could I use? I would like to get more goals out of Bruno as he doesn't get many as a AM (S), I'm thinking Treq? 

@Vizzini

I think Treq is a good choice - It will see him float between the lines and be both a creator and goalscorer.

On 01/07/2020 at 05:17, Dong21 said:

Season 2019-2020: Part 1

After spending much longer than expected on an EFL save managing Bolton, I've finally got round to starting my annual United save. Generally I like to wheel and deal at whichever club I manage, but I'm going to try to be a bit more hesitant in the transfer window with this career as I'd like to give our many talented youth prospects the opportunity to develop. Here is how I've got on so far...

Backroom Enhancements

I believe a quality Head of Youth Development is essential, therefore I was delighted to secure my first choice for this position Bernhard Peters. Some managers don't see value in having a Director of Football but I sometimes like to utilise the 'suggest transfer targets' function to get fresh ideas - I hired ex-Barcelona and Milan Director Ariedo Braida. I cleared out most of the coaches, including Carrick who sadly just isn't good enough, and brought in a raft of replacements including Miguel D'Agostino and Danny McGrain. I was surprised to find that the standard of goalkeeping coach was poor across all levels, so I brought in six new goalkeeping coaches.

Tactical Intentions

I intend to play a 4-2-3-1 (wide) formation, with a secondary but similar 4-5-1 formation familiarised in case of the need to be more defensive. The desire to play Bruno Fernandes in a central attacking midfield position was a major influence when deciding on a tactic. Pogba would play deeper, hopefully building up a strong relationship with Bruno. Pogba had expressed an interest in leaving early into my tenure, however our private discussion went well and he has been settled thus far since.

Player Recruitment

My two primary transfer targets when commencing this save were Jadon Sancho and Jude Bellingham. Right wing is for me probably the biggest weakness in the squad and Sancho is a quality player with great potential who I wanted to secure before my rivals. Bellingham, on the other hand is a prestigious talent who I want the opportunity to develop. With a budget of £50m I decided to try something new and ask the board to handle signing for Sancho. To my delight they got the job done, securing him for £90m. I had a deal for Bellingham agreed, but that fell through when my budget was depleted to £0. I sold experienced players Mata (to Wolves) and Matic (to Leicester) for a combined £25.5m. This allowed me to renegotiate with Birmingham and complete a £22m deal.

I offered out Periera and Lingard as I would prefer to give Greenwood, Chong and Gomes opportunities, however the bids I received were below my valuations of the pair, so I elected to keep them, for now. I pulled off what I believe to be somewhat of a masterstroke though, recalling Marcos Rojo from his loan and then selling him to Guangzhou Evergrande for £16.5m. My final deal of the window was for Mexican wonderkid striker José Juan Macias for £16.5m from Chivas. The only downside was I had to pay him £80k per week wages in order to secure his work permit.

I tried to sign 17 year old Anderlecht winger Jeremy Doku during the transfer window, however his club wanted a deal totaling around £15m and we just didn't have the money so had to step away. After the window had closed Doku became unsettled and handed in a transfer request. I was frankly shocked to see him listed for £1.3m so I swooped up and signed him. He joins in January.

Youth Focus

One of my first order of business was to renew the contracts of Tahith Chong, Aidan Barlow and Angel Gomes (if only we could have done this in real life...). I asked the board for a feeder club and selected Derby from the options presented due to their excellent training facilities and the chance for my players to play alongside Rooney. I sent Garner and Laird there and I am really hoping they get a lot of game time. I intend to give some of the younger players opportunities in the Europa League, where we have drawn PSV, Getafe and AIK.

Just curious, I am actually trying to do something similar with my united save with regards to the tactics (building around Bruno like the team does irl). How do you usually line up in a 4231 wide, or have you switched to another formation? Pondering over what roles Bruno and Pogba have to play, still split over 4123 and 4231 currently. By the way Gomes was fire in my save, scored a first half hat trick in my first Europa League game vs Ludogorets, sad we didn't tie him down in real life.

4 hours ago, Vizzini said:

Changed back to a 4-3-3

fec5553d2a8ec80aac3c7b2eb5864c93.png

Results have been promising:

1cd7300411694a0b2ad1b294eff28051.png

Any reason for switching back to 433? Still considering it but I'm leaning back towards 4231 because the 4123's I create don't seem to score many goals. 4231 seems to score more but also concedes more.

Just now, Gee_Simpson said:

Any reason for switching back to 433? Still considering it but I'm leaning back towards 4231 because the 4123's I create don't seem to score many goals. 4231 seems to score more but also concedes more.

Just to keep the save interesting. There is not really that much of a difference, other than the 4-3-3 being a bit more solid, as you said. 

8 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

Just to keep the save interesting. There is not really that much of a difference, other than the 4-3-3 being a bit more solid, as you said. 

I'm all about the striker scoring the goals, lol. Just can't seem to pull it off in a 4123 which is the reason I'm probably sticking with the 4231, frustrating. I've tried standard tempo and standard passing length with a CF (A), PF (A) set to roam, AF, DLF (A) but he's not as prolific as he is in the 4231.

Hmm so PSG have made their inevitable offer for Pogba which will have the effect of destabalising him. I don't want to sell Pogba as I think he is useful and an adequate replacement would cost loads.

If I do have to sell him what should I ask PSG for? I'm thinking at least £100m up front and £40m in instalments? Should Pogba leave, who's a good replacement I can realistically sign for Utd in June 2020 in game?

2020-08-04.png

12 minutes ago, Marc Lister said:

Hmm so PSG have made their inevitable offer for Pogba which will have the effect of destabalising him. I don't want to sell Pogba as I think he is useful and an adequate replacement would cost loads.

If I do have to sell him what should I ask PSG for? I'm thinking at least £100m up front and £40m in instalments? Should Pogba leave, who's a good replacement I can realistically sign for Utd in June 2020 in game?

2020-08-04.png

I would definitively hold out for top dollar. Does he have many years left on his contract? If so, you can probably reject it and his unsettledness will pass.

14 minutes ago, Vizzini said:

I would definitively hold out for top dollar. Does he have many years left on his contract? If so, you can probably reject it and his unsettledness will pass.

He's got another year left but I do have the option to extend it for another year. What should I set as a minimum if I have to sell him? £150m?

2 minutes ago, Marc Lister said:

He's got another year left but I do have the option to extend it for another year. What should I set as a minimum if I have to sell him? £150m?

Personally, I would not sell for less than 150m. You should figure out how much a replacement would cost, if you are looking for a similar skillsett, or use the money to rejig your squad.

5 hours ago, Marc Lister said:

It sounds painfully obvious but the sooner you assemble the trio of Tonali playing in front of your defence and Camavinga and Bellingham in the middle of the field the better.

6 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

I'm considering trying a DLP (D) - RPM - Treq combo as my midfield 3 :eek: I would be interested to see if that's viable.

It should work, probably suited to a Tiki-taka setup. The 3 up top needs to be quite aggressive, and you also need the fullbacks for width. Maybe a balanced/positive mentality?

Watch the RPM and Treq closely, there is a risk that they will occupy the same space if play is congested.

Edited by Vizzini

11 hours ago, davecrossley said:

It sounds painfully obvious but the sooner you assemble the trio of Tonali playing in front of your defence and Camavinga and Bellingham in the middle of the field the better.

Sounds like a plan. I've got Bellingham so I'll check out how much it would cost to get Tonali and Camavinga. I have them both scouted but didn't realise the trio was the holy midfield for FM20!

15 hours ago, Gee_Simpson said:

On my old save I rejected a 201m bid from PSG for him 😅

pogba is world class in any formation i had used him. 442 4231 

i would not sell him for even 200M, unless he is like 31 or 32 years old. 

money is not a problem in MU.

On 04/08/2020 at 20:48, Vizzini said:

Negotiate the deal to like something ridiculous like £200 million then submit the negotiation not suggest and eventually they give in and lose interest then willing to stay

On 03/08/2020 at 23:00, MatthewS17 said:

I'll throw a spanner in your works and say Viktor Tsygankov(actually Tsyhankov). 

Reminds me a bit of Mahrez. 

Had him before? If so what's his output like?