Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• SI Staff
Hey when i try to patch fm2009 with any of the released patches i get

"fm2009.exe error0x00000020 the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" which is crazy because it does that as soon as i install the game

any help would be nice cheeers

Can you try to download Unlocker, extract, run and follow instructions from the site on how to run (in essence just right click fm.exe in the installed folder, or the "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Program Files\Sports Interactive", then click "Unlocker"). If the exe is locked it should give you information about this, and you should also be able to unlock it.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can you PM me please with your email address?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I've been dealin with Neil who has so far been very helpful in dealing with some of the error messages,the latest of which was a .dll file i needed to fix the 'failed to set up graphics system' error message. i've got that and the error message is gone.

HOWEVER, when i try to launch the game (via steam), nothing happens yet the fm.exe appears in the 'processes' tab of task manger, but not in the applications section.

any ideas how to overcome this one?

To give you a brief history, i've got the 9.01 patch, i've tried to download a couple of the windows downloads suggested, i've copied across a couple of .dll files across from my demo file to the full version folder.

Thanks very much

Liam

would be nice to get an answer cause i know several ppl have had this problem :)

no clue if i overlooked an answer

my computer still wont see the install dvd. i mounted it from another computers dvd drive and installed it over the network but would be nice if i could actually see the dvd on my own computer. Yes i have a DVD drive and NO i haven't had any problems with other dvd's. Running vista and its a NEC DL dvd burner.

• SI Staff
k.i know that my english is very bad and u didn't understand me.i couldn't install the game because this problem didn't let me.now u understand???

I was replying to Richardav, not you :) Your English is perfectly fine ;)

Murray - I have been told that you are the man that can hopefully solve my problem. I posted a few pages back, but not sure if you have had time to read through all the pages!!!

I have a mac. I have installed the game and I can go into it but when I get to the main menu I get a white screen and nothing else. I have not activated it as I honestly have no idea what I am doing on-line with Steam. I tried to validate the game via the phoneline but it asks for a 16 digit code but the only code that I have is the one on the manual which is more than 16 digits.

Can you please help and advise on what I should do to get round this problem.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ballan,

Sorry haven't seen your post!

OK - first things first - you are a MAC user - you do not need to Activate - apologies this was not made clear.

I think you have a graphics issue - any chance you could screenshot the window for me...

Murray

Yeah I've tested it on that website but all I get is invalid key, I've entered them all in uppercase.

Really not sure what to do now. :confused:

Is there anyone I can send a JPEG of my code to?

I'm going out now anyway, hopefully I have something sorted when I get back.

• SI Staff
all the file it says i cant send it because its to has to many characters

Hmm.. ok try split it up into separate messages, and send part one in one message, part two in another one, and so on.

Have you updated the drivers for your graphics card?

Neil, I have just downloaded the newest graphics card driver from Acer, my laptop manufacturer

I installed and restarted.

But still the same problem, popup window "football manager 2009 has stopped working",what can I do?

Hi Ballan,

Sorry haven't seen your post!

OK - first things first - you are a MAC user - you do not need to Activate - apologies this was not made clear.

I think you have a graphics issue - any chance you could screenshot the window for me...

Murray

thanks for getting back to me, if it is the screen shot of the main menu page it is only a white page so you would not be able to see anything, but I can go over the relevant 'new game' options but nothing happens as far as I know as it is only a white screen.

hi there,

wonder if you could help me installed fm... thought everything was going well!! i then got a message saying failed to run garphics system!! i then tried to download the DirectX SDK link on the forum but while its downloading it keeps cutting off and saying that i need a PACKER tool? is there any other way i can download this or get it?

also could the rapidshare link help me on page 7?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

I've been dealin with Neil who has so far been very helpful in dealing with some of the error messages,the latest of which was a .dll file i needed to fix the 'failed to set up graphics system' error message. i've got that and the error message is gone.

HOWEVER, when i try to launch the game (via steam), nothing happens yet the fm.exe appears in the 'processes' tab of task manger, but not in the applications section.

any ideas how to overcome this one?

To give you a brief history, i've got the 9.01 patch, i've tried to download a couple of the windows downloads suggested, i've copied across a couple of .dll files across from my demo file to the full version folder.

Thanks very much

Liam

How long have you left it for? You might want to give it a wee while and see if it kicks into life as it may just be setting itself up.

thanks for getting back to me, if it is the screen shot of the main menu page it is only a white page so you would not be able to see anything, but I can go over the relevant 'new game' options but nothing happens as far as I know as it is only a white screen.

Hi Ballan - PM me - let's chat :D

hi there,

wonder if you could help me installed fm... thought everything was going well!! i then got a message saying failed to run garphics system!! i then tried to download the DirectX SDK link on the forum but while its downloading it keeps cutting off and saying that i need a PACKER tool? is there any other way i can download this or get it?

also could the rapidshare link help me on page 7?

Send me a PM with your email address.

How long have you left it for? You might want to give it a wee while and see if it kicks into life as it may just be setting itself up.

a while i.e its still running in the processes now, and i've tried it a couple of times.

any ideas or is this a new one?

at least theres no error messages now, it just thinks its running when its not.

Liam

If anyone can help with my problem, I will be grateful

After installing and as I'm loading the game I get a message saying

"/c:/documents and settings/simon parker/my docments/sports interactive/football manager 2009/db/fm 09' - reverting to the default location"

if i continue with the loading a xml parsing error appears on the screen. I can't see anymore of the parsing error message because the screen flashes black.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the same thing occurs.

Hi,

I have spent hours trying to get this to work!!

I install the game using the uniloc option after experiencing problems with steam.

The game instals gives the message that its installed with errors but afterwards lets me succesfully enter my validation code. When I hit the game to run it pops up with the box "Football Manager has stopped working". Then wont go any further.

I am running on Vista.

Please help?!

Can you try to download Unlocker, extract, run and follow instructions from the site on how to run (in essence just right click fm.exe in the installed folder, or the "Football Manager 2009" folder in "Program Files\Sports Interactive", then click "Unlocker"). If the exe is locked it should give you information about this, and you should also be able to unlock it.

Tried that

unlocker said "no locking handle found"

tried patch again and still same problem.

If anyone can help with my problem, I will be grateful

After installing and as I'm loading the game I get a message saying

"/c:/documents and settings/simon parker/my docments/sports interactive/football manager 2009/db/fm 09' - reverting to the default location"

if i continue with the loading a xml parsing error appears on the screen. I can't see anymore of the parsing error message because the screen flashes black.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled but the same thing occurs.

Simon, see my instructions here and give them a go:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=64336

Hi,

I install the game using the uniloc option after experiencing problems with steam.

The game instals gives the message that its installed with errors but afterwards lets me succesfully enter my validation code. When I hit the game to run it pops up with the box "Football Manager has stopped working". Then wont go any further.

I am running on Vista.

Please help?!

the same problem with me, please help us!!!

argh someone help! i put the .dll file i need in the sports interactive folder etc, and i still get the error message saying i need the saAudit file!

hi Jack, i had this. that file should be in your demo folder. copy and paste it into your full version folder. incidentally, whilst it fixes that proble, i am still getting nowehere fast!

Liam

hi Jack, i had this. that file should be in your demo folder. copy and paste it into your full version folder. incidentally, whilst it fixes that proble, i am still getting nowehere fast!

Liam

ive done this and it still gives the same message :( are there any other solutions?

thanks for your help anyways!

a while i.e its still running in the processes now, and i've tried it a couple of times.

Liam

We are here dealing with the issues - I've been working almost 24x7 since Thursday AM.

Do you have an outstanding issue that we have not addressed? If so, can you please detail and it will be rectified today.

1. My mate who has not got the internet has installed the game but it wont launch. basically he clicks on the shortcut and nothing happens and goes thru the my computer to find the file, clicks on that and nothing happens even after uninstalling and re-installing it many times. (also after I gave him the patch by writing onto a disk)

2. On mine, my screen flickers and jumps all the time. why is this? is this something to do with my graphics? im using my laptop and im not a technical person usually I just put the disk in and away we go

please you can PM with any response

My problem is that after authentication i run the game and the authentication screen reappears asking to authenticate again. And when i do that my cd-key is already active. I don't have an error message or smth, and i've used all the methods that i have mentioned above.

Liam

Hi Liam,

Please stop posting the same reply as it's confusing us. :)

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening. My suspicion is the same as yesterday and perhaps that something went wrong when you initially installed the game, so it might be worth re-installing it now to see if that helps.

You could also go back to the first page of the Known Issues thread and give the instructions at the bottom for the XML parsing error a go, just to see if that helps.

Hi,

I am running on Vista.

Please help?!

You might have a broken disc - can you confirm where you purchased please.

Liam - Have you tried ending the process tree or rebooting and trying again?

numerous times. im just having so many problems getting it going its unreal. firstly i had fm.exe has had to terminate etc etc, then i had to put the two .dll files across from the demo file into the full version folder, and then it sais that the graphics system was unable to start or something, and then neil kindly showed me where to find another .dll file to fix that but as i say, theres noting happening when i launch now!

cheers

Liam

Hi Liam,

Please stop posting the same reply as it's confusing us. :)

I'm not entirely sure why this is happening. My suspicion is the same as yesterday and perhaps that something went wrong when you initially installed the game, so it might be worth re-installing it now to see if that helps.

You could also go back to the first page of the Known Issues thread and give the instructions at the bottom for the XML parsing error a go, just to see if that helps.

ok, will gie that a go.

apologies for posting same reply - hold my hands up to just pure frustration i guess and not wanting to get lost in amongst other posts. as i say though, sorry for that.

will try a complete reinstall.

would you advise going the steam route or not?

Liam

• SI Staff
i sent you it.would you need the rest of the file then?

The error is this:

Custom Action: com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer

Additional Notes: ERROR - class com.sigames.InstallAnywhere.WindowsGameExplorer NonfatalInstallException AddGameExplorerTasks() failed: Failed to retrieve GUID for application

Which means it failed to create some tasks for FM09 in Games Explorer; the game may not have been added successfully.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_gdr.080917-1612)

Since you're on Vista Home Premium, you should have Game Explorer, so something else is going wrong here - I'm not sure what.

However, this is a non-fatal error, running the game should still work fine, but on Vista there is no Start Menu entry for Football Manager 2009, and since it may have failed to add the game to Games Explorer or it may not be possible to launch from Games Explorer due to the above error, you might have to run it using Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\ and run "fm.exe" from there.

• SI Staff
Tried that

unlocker said "no locking handle found"

tried patch again and still same problem.

Can you post a screenshot of the exact error? Also, please message me your dxdiag (How to do this can be found here, section #2 under "How To Guides").

Archived