Known issues and solutions - FAQ

The error is this:

Which means it failed to create some tasks for FM09 in Games Explorer; the game may not have been added successfully.

Since you're on Vista Home Premium, you should have Game Explorer, so something else is going wrong here - I'm not sure what.

However, this is a non-fatal error, running the game should still work fine, but on Vista there is no Start Menu entry for Football Manager 2009, and since it may have failed to add the game to Games Explorer or it may not be possible to launch from Games Explorer due to the above error, you might have to run it using Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\ and run "fm.exe" from there.

can i play the game with no errors coming up?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello to anyone at sega, SI or anyone who can help.

My hames installed fine, all the patches are in place, it opens quickly, runs smoothly and then as soon as i get to a match, when i click continue or proceed to match, the arrow changes to a football and thats the end of it. Nothing, even left it for 1 hour.

This seems to have been a bit of a common problem so hopefully theres a solution

Cheers

Have just tried to call the following: Number doesn't seem to work.

Fix: The error 10 is related to not being able see the server correctly; this could be due to a firewall blockage or ‘proxy’ issue. We are investigating further, but do have a workaround – please can you call one of the Customer Services numbers below and an Operator will talk you through activation:

UK* - 0871 010 8002

hello, tried a complete reinstall and get the following error message:

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\

Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - Error Installing Folder Contents: java.util.zip.ZipException: ZIP_Read: error reading zip file

any idea?

Liam

I've had horrendous issues getting FM to install on XP 64-bit... basically it doesn't work as install anywhere is bugged (not FM!)... this is the 'cannot create GUI error' or similar... am not sure if the same issues exist under Vista 64-bit but knowing vista they probably do...

however, I have a solution, which may work for most people having probs installing the game...

If you have another computer (or dual-boot) with a 32-bit version of windows on it then install the game on that but do not launch the game or activate it... (you'll need to do an advanced install and install it in a specific folder)... then copy the whole of the installation folder over to your 64-bit system and then launch and activate the game. It works fine for me, and is the same approach I had to use to get FM2008 installed... You can then update the game and so on...

I actually installed using a 32-bit XP install running under VMWare on my Linux box... then did the copying thing but also works for regular 32-bit install...

hope this helps someone...

Please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.[/QU

I have now activated this game by phone and still nothing, I have been playing champ/football manager now for years and never had any problems. Why has there been so much hasssle with this game, why the need to get it authourised. If soloution not sorted out soon this game is going back, I am sure you have had thousands returned already after reading comments online.

All I get when I open football manager 2009 is a picture of a football orniment, really starting to get annoyed now.

I have just downloaded the activator mentioned in this thread and typed in my key code and it came up with the screen saying "Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game." But where can i run the game from? There is no sign of football manager 09 on my laptop. The furthest i got through the installation was downloading steam but it kept saying the "Steam server is unavailable" message which is why i run the activator download.

Any ideas?

I have error [-51] and cannot apply the listed fix as;

• There is no program data directory (though there is a program files directory)

• Three is no directory named “Football Manager 2009 Certificate” either

• I have no “Documents & Settings” directory also

The install Log shows “Install – successful with errors”; there was 1 warning “value InstallPath doesn’t exist” and a non-fatal error “ No uninstaller existed in the directory”

I’m running Vista on an 18 month old PC. I must confess that I’ve never known anything like this.

Can you help?

why is my game stalling

i start the game and play one game then it just freezes when i click continue

and woundering wat the problem can be as getting annoyed as never had this problem with any of the other FM games and this one is only 2 days old and the problems keeps coming

• SI Staff

I've had horrendous issues getting FM to install on XP 64-bit... basically it doesn't work as install anywhere is bugged (not FM!)... this is the 'cannot create GUI error' or similar... am not sure if the same issues exist under Vista 64-bit but knowing vista they probably do...

This is a known issue and covered in Known Issues Thread under Installer Issues, although it is talking about the demo you should be able to do the same for the disk by right clicking setup.exe on the root of the disk and follow the same instructions - or failing that, on the disk navigate into Disk1\InstData\Windows\VM\ and apply the compatibility mode to setup.exe in there.

I've now managed to successfully install and activate the game, i have installed the patch and the direct x. I can open the game but it keeps freezing after i have selected my countries, database size etc... i then confirm it all and when the screen comes up with the loading bar at the top it freezes with the loading bar at about 25%.

Please help.

• SI Staff
rofl thanks u just gave me my first BSOD in vista in about 18 months :) guess its a XP only fix Vista dont like it that much hehe.

Vista users may try this:

1. Remove your DVD

2. Start -> Configuration -> Hardware & Sounds -> Autoplay options

-> Check the checkbox on the top

-> Choose with "Software & Games" for the option: "Open folder and show files with Windows Explore"

3. Save

4. Insert your game

5. Run setup (could take a while before it starts).

Why release a game when it clearly isnt ready, it would've made more sence to release it in december with a few more weeks work being done on it. Obviously they knew this hence the patch being made available on day of release, so they obv knew it wouldnt be ready and tried to back themselves up with a shitty patch that i cant even download. this is the last fm i will ever buy FACT!!!!!!

• SI Staff
I've now managed to successfully install and activate the game, i have installed the patch and the direct x. I can open the game but it keeps freezing after i have selected my countries, database size etc... i then confirm it all and when the screen comes up with the loading bar at the top it freezes with the loading bar at about 25%.

Please help.

Can you try running the game in windowed mode, and see if it still happens?

If that doesn't work, please start a thread on the technical support problems detailing your problems, and giving more information about your computers system set up, operating system, and graphics card.

• SI Staff
why is my game stalling

i start the game and play one game then it just freezes when i click continue

and woundering wat the problem can be as getting annoyed as never had this problem with any of the other FM games and this one is only 2 days old and the problems keeps coming

(apologies for repeating the same answer that I gave someone just above...)

Can you try running the game in windowed mode, and see if it still happens?

If that doesn't work, please start a thread on the technical support problems detailing your problems, and giving more information about your computers system set up, operating system, and graphics card.

Miles, can you please take a look at my issue?

"Hi!

I just tried the new fix, and basically got the same result as with the SoftAnchor activation; tells me that I've activated, but when I try to play SoftAnchor pops up again. Could you please help?"

• SI Staff
I have error [-51] and cannot apply the listed fix as;

• There is no program data directory (though there is a program files directory)

• Three is no directory named “Football Manager 2009 Certificate” either

• I have no “Documents & Settings” directory also

The install Log shows “Install – successful with errors”; there was 1 warning “value InstallPath doesn’t exist” and a non-fatal error “ No uninstaller existed in the directory”

I’m running Vista on an 18 month old PC. I must confess that I’ve never known anything like this.

Can you help?

A strange question, but can you please let me know where you purchased the game from?

1. Remove your DVD

-> Choose with "Software & Games" for the option: "Open folder and show files with Windows Explore"

3. Save

4. Insert your game

Miles can you please help me? I put my key code in on the website and its correct, I then try the online activation it says unable to connect to internet, so I then try phone activation but when I get to the third set of 16 digit numbers it says that my key code in invalid, can you tell me what I'm meant to do please?

I get the "Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game." message. Still, when I try to run the game through steam it says my trial is expired and it tells me to enter my key. And this goes on and on and on.... Already tried reinstalling and deleting certificates too many times.

Can anyone please look into this? Seems like we're only a few having this problem.

Thanks.

• SI Staff
I have just downloaded the activator mentioned in this thread and typed in my key code and it came up with the screen saying "Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game." But where can i run the game from? There is no sign of football manager 09 on my laptop. The furthest i got through the installation was downloading steam but it kept saying the "Steam server is unavailable" message which is why i run the activator download.

Any ideas?

Which operating system are you on? Have you actually installed the game?

WOW shocked Miles! It actually works no logic to why its working but it works. Might wanna add it to the solutions at the top of this thread!

and once u get it started it is a great game! thanks a milion Miles!

1. Remove your DVD

3. Save

4. Insert your game

• SI Staff

Install Directory: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data\

Additional Notes: FATAL ERROR - Error Installing Folder Contents: java.util.zip.ZipException: ZIP_Read: error reading zip file

any idea?

Hmm.. this indicates that InstallAnywhere fails to install FM09 properly because the install package is corrupt. Basically it failed to install all the files needed, and this is probably the reason you are experiencing the problem you are.

Is the disk undamaged?

Can you try:

• Uninstall the game and make sure there is no "Football Manager 2009" folder inside "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\".
  • Create a new empty folder on your desktop (right click the desktop, choose "new" then "folder" and give it a name).
  • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the FM2009 disk (for example D:\)
  • Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Select all" (or use Ctrl+A) to select all files.
  • Go to the "Edit" menu and click "Copy" (or use Ctrl+C) to copy files to clipboard.
  • Go to your desktop and double click the folder you created to open it.
  • Go to the "Edit" menu and click Paste" (or use Ctrl+V) to copy files from the disk into this folder.
  • Once completed, double click setup.exe in the folder you created to run the installer from your local disk.
  • Go through the full installation process until completed. Exit the installer.
  • Check the installer log for any errors.
  • Try to run the game.

If you still get the same installer error, or the files failed to copy from the disk to the hard drive, my guess is the disk itself is damaged or for some other reason cannot be read properly.

Which operating system are you on? Have you actually installed the game?

Windows XP

The furthest i got through the intallation was to download steam where it then told me to enter my product code. I have been stuck at htis point ever since.

Why release a game when it clearly isnt ready, it would've made more sence to release it in december with a few more weeks work being done on it. Obviously they knew this hence the patch being made available on day of release, so they obv knew it wouldnt be ready and tried to back themselves up with a shitty patch that i cant even download. this is the last fm i will ever buy FACT!!!!!!

exactly. thats not a dig at the tech guys on here who are doing the best. I said the exact same thing to my mate and his reply was "the big cheeses dont seem to care, they just think that they can resolve any problems by releasing updates or patches after the release, but what about those people who are not connected to the internet" and this is the case with my other mate.

he' connected on dial up, Direct X is currently taking me 10 hours to download via my wireless broadband therefore dial up would be incredible. I think a refund for those people who not go a miss

• SI Staff
Miles, can you please take a look at my issue?

"Hi!

I just tried the new fix, and basically got the same result as with the SoftAnchor activation; tells me that I've activated, but when I try to play SoftAnchor pops up again. Could you please help?"

If you have followed the guide in the first thread and you are still having problems, SEGA have got their customer support division open where the people who are still having issues can get one on one heln

If you go to http://help.sega.com/ you can raise an individual ticket, and someone will help guide you thorugh your problems.

You can login using your SI forum login and password to access that site.

Good luck getting it up and running - I'm sorry you are having so much frustration with this. We have well over 99% of people up and running now, so by you going through support and them getting you working, you'll be helping us get to 100%!

Everytime I load up steam this message appears:

helptj4.png

I have reinstalled steam countless times and still can't get the program running. Help please I hope to play Fm today !

I have had the exact same problem i've given up trying and i'm now try to do it through Uniloc, this is getting annoying now!!

Miles can you please help me? I put my key code in on the website and its correct, I then try the online activation it says unable to connect to internet, so I then try phone activation but when I get to the third set of 16 digit numbers it says that my key code in invalid, can you tell me what I'm meant to do please?

Please enter the key in UPPERCASE when activating via Phone

Seeing as no one has helped my request a few pages back, I'm guessing it was either not seen or ignored. I'll post it again incase it was missed:

I'm encountering the "fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

The send report says the following:

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00fdc281

Any ideas? I've tried repairing the Microsoft Dot.Net framework but it doesn't work. I was playing the game earlier perfectly fine, and have tried re-installing it. I'm also running the latest patch?

• SI Staff
Windows XP

The furthest i got through the intallation was to download steam where it then told me to enter my product code. I have been stuck at htis point ever since.

OK - I'm a bit confused here.

STEAM is on the disc, so I don't see why you would have to download it.

Is the DVD in your DVD drive, and can you see it there when you go to "my computer"?

Is there a faulty batch of games or something. Why do you keep asking where we bought the game from and then not tell us why. If you suspect my disc is broken can someone please let me know.

Hi Dan,

We are trying to 'establish' if this is the case - we're not deliberately hiding this from you - as we are mentioning on a public forum. What we don't want to do - is force people to return a game where it is not necessary to do so.

Please be patient - you will get a resolution.

Regards,

Murray

Archived