Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• SI Staff
can i play the game with no errors coming up?

Did you try to run the game after installing it (but with the NonFatalError)? Other than the Games Explorer tasks error, the rest of the install seems to be fine, so the game should run fine as long as there are no other problems on your system.

I'm not sure why it fails when trying to set up the Games Explorer entry for FM2009 on your system - we have not seen this here.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exactly. thats not a dig at the tech guys on here who are doing the best. I said the exact same thing to my mate and his reply was "the big cheeses dont seem to care, they just think that they can resolve any problems by releasing updates or patches after the release, but what about those people who are not connected to the internet" and this is the case with my other mate.

he' connected on dial up, Direct X is currently taking me 10 hours to download via my wireless broadband therefore dial up would be incredible. I think a refund for those people who not go a miss

they are doing a great job, but i cant help thinking that if it was done right in the first place then these poor tech guys wouldnt have to put up with the stuff ppl are throwing at them.

I HAVE GOT IT WORKING! WOOHOO!

I totally uninstalled, then installed it back on (not via the steam route!), and then i downloaded the 9.01 patch, and also a d3dref9.dll file into the fm09 foldr, and now it launches!

Can i just say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to NEIL!!! Thanks for your patience and several options.

Toucwood i wont have any problems actually playing the game itself now.

I really do think credit needs to go to all the SI team who are on these forums helping chumps like me fix the problem, i hope i speak for everyone when i say its much appreciated.

On final question, can i still add the game via steam and play online with friends or not (seeing as i installed it without steam?)

Liam

• SI Staff
Everytime I load up steam this message appears:

helptj4.png

I have reinstalled steam countless times and still can't get the program running. Help please I hope to play Fm today !

I've just done a google search on this issue.

This taken from the halflife2.net forum

"Originally Posted by berrs001 viewpost.gif

I had this problem too. If you are using peerguardian check that it is not blocking any of the IP's that valve/steam uses. You can either allow each one individually or disable PG for a short period."

Hello to anyone at sega, SI or anyone who can help.

My hames installed fine, all the patches are in place, it opens quickly, runs smoothly and then as soon as i get to a match, when i click continue or proceed to match, the arrow changes to a football and thats the end of it. Nothing, even left it for 1 hour.

This seems to have been a bit of a common problem so hopefully theres a solution

Cheers

i know this is the 2nd time that i have posted this message but i don't want to be forgotten about

Thanks

Martin

Hello to anyone at sega, SI or anyone who can help.

My hames installed fine, all the patches are in place, it opens quickly, runs smoothly and then as soon as i get to a match, when i click continue or proceed to match, the arrow changes to a football and thats the end of it. Nothing, even left it for 1 hour.

This seems to have been a bit of a common problem so hopefully theres a solution

Cheers

i know this is the 2nd time that i have posted this message but i don't want to be forgotten about

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

Can you try running the game in Windowed Mode to see if that helps?

afternoon everyone, i tried for around 6 hours yesterday to just install FM2009 on my computer with no joy. looking forward to all these activation issues if i can get that far.

i'm on XP, have a dvd drive and all requirements to play this game. but when i put the disc in, the autoinstall doesnt kick in, and the disc doesnt even register.

anyone have any idea's how to tackle this and is there a way i could maybe just download the game using my keycode if the disc isn't going to work.

bought it from play.com if that helps

thanks in advance

OK - I'm a bit confused here.

STEAM is on the disc, so I don't see why you would have to download it.

Is the DVD in your DVD drive, and can you see it there when you go to "my computer"?

Sorry i didn't mean to say download steam. What i meant was that when it installs it during the installation process and then asks me to enter my product code, that is as far as i can get.

Yes the DVD is in my DVD drive and i can see it in my computer.

Hi.Wondering if anyone knows how to fix this error message "the game is currently unavailable, please try again later". I have tried to delete the client registry but nothing happens. I also have a problem where an error message occurs saying the game is already running, which also happened on the o8 version.

• SI Staff
removed link to screenshot

pm sent with info

Ok, if Unlocker shows no locks then I'm a bit confused. The other thing I can think is if the exe is not there (but the screenshot appears to show that it is; and also the patch tool would give a different error if the exe is not present). So the next thing I can think of is if the permissions are correct.

• Is the account you are running the patch installer from a computer administrator?
  • Does the patch installer find the FM2009 installation automatically (all you should have to do is click 'Update')?
  • Does the patch installer update some/most files and then show this error towards the end?
  • Can you check the permissions on fm.exe (right click fm.exe, click Properties, click Security, check that 'Administrators' has 'Full control' plus 'Modify', 'Read & Execute', 'Read' and 'Write')?
  • Check that the user is part of the computer administrators group on the computer? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> <your username> -> Right click and choose Properties -> check "Member Of" tab)

I can't download the patch. It comes up with the message "Windows has found a problem with this file - Unknown publisher" when the patch finishes downloading.

Sorry, I must have asked this question 5 times around the forums by now, but got no answer!

I had that problem. Ignore it, go to where you saved it and update it.

• SI Staff
Please post here even if you've posted in another thread and we're yet to help you.[/QU

I have now activated this game by phone and still nothing, I have been playing champ/football manager now for years and never had any problems. Why has there been so much hasssle with this game, why the need to get it authourised. If soloution not sorted out soon this game is going back, I am sure you have had thousands returned already after reading comments online.

All I get when I open football manager 2009 is a picture of a football orniment, really starting to get annoyed now.

Can you please let us know what graphics card you have in your machine, and the specs of the computer?

I had this problem too. If you are using peerguardian check that it is not blocking any of the IP's that valve/steam uses. You can either allow each one individually or disable PG for a short period."

what is peerguardian? how do i check if i have it? and how do i access it? cheers

Vista users may try this:

1. Remove your DVD

2. Start -> Configuration -> Hardware & Sounds -> Autoplay options

-> Check the checkbox on the top

-> Choose with "Software & Games" for the option: "Open folder and show files with Windows Explore"

3. Save

4. Insert your game

5. Run setup (could take a while before it starts).

so what should people who have xp do if there computer will not see the disc? (i do have a dvd drive so thats not the problem)

How would I disable PG for a short while?

• SI Staff
cannot run the game due to failed to set up graphics system?

From the opening post in this thread.

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Ok, if Unlocker shows no locks then I'm a bit confused. The other thing I can think is if the exe is not there (but the screenshot appears to show that it is; and also the patch tool would give a different error if the exe is not present). So the next thing I can think of is if the permissions are correct.

• Is the account you are running the patch installer from a computer administrator? Yes It Does
  • Does the patch installer find the FM2009 installation automatically (all you should have to do is click 'Update')? Yhup
  • Does the patch installer update some/most files and then show this error towards the end? Its Shows The error when it gets to updating fm2009.exe which is file 159 of 171
  • Can you check the permissions on fm.exe (right click fm.exe, click Properties, click Security, check that 'Administrators' has 'Full control' plus 'Modify', 'Read & Execute', 'Read' and 'Write')? When i RC the only tabs that come up are General, Version, Compatability and Summary
  • Check that the user is part of the computer administrators group on the computer? (Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> System Tools -> Local Users and Groups -> Users -> <your username> -> Right click and choose Properties -> check "Member Of" tab) Yes it was

Ive answered the questions above. the only thing i have noticed is when i try to run the dotnetfx.exe in the directx folder it says "SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE BECAUSE THE VERSION OF THE .NET FRAMEWORK IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH A PREVIOOUS INSTALLED ONE. FOR MORE INFO SEE HTP://SUPPORT.MICROSOFT.COM/SUPPORT/KB/ARTICLES/Q312/5/00.ASP"

would that have something to do with it and if so how do i fix it

Error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10 error -10

From the Known Issues thread on the first page:

I’m receiving the Error [-10] what can I do?

Fix: The error 10 is related to not being able see the server correctly; this could be due to a firewall blockage or ‘proxy’ issue. We are investigating further, but do have a workaround – please can you call one of the Customer Services numbers below and an Operator will talk you through activation:

UK* - 0871 010 8002

FR - 08 20 37 61 58

All other number for support and their territories can be found here:

http://www.sega.co.uk/support/

• SI Staff
Sorry i didn't mean to say download steam. What i meant was that when it installs it during the installation process and then asks me to enter my product code, that is as far as i can get.

Yes the DVD is in my DVD drive and i can see it in my computer.

Does this help, from the post on the first page

"I’ve installed the game where are the files located?

Fix:C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009"

Someone??!

From the Known Issues thread on the first page:

I’m receiving the Error [-10] what can I do?

Fix: The error 10 is related to not being able see the server correctly; this could be due to a firewall blockage or ‘proxy’ issue. We are investigating further, but do have a workaround – please can you call one of the Customer Services numbers below and an Operator will talk you through activation:

UK* - 0871 010 8002

FR - 08 20 37 61 58

All other number for support and their territories can be found here:

http://www.sega.co.uk/support/

• SI Staff
Well I clicked "run" not "save". Is this the problem?

It could well be depending on your operating system. It's well worth downloading it to your desktop, or the directory where FM is, and then double clicking on it from there.

I appear to be having game play problems. have got the game loaded, but when it comes to playing a game (ie 1st pre-season friendly, the game freezes and nothing happens) any 1 help?

Have you tried playing with windowed mode turned on? This seems to fix the issue for many with below minimum spec graphics cards (I'm presuming you are in the same boat, so apologies in advance if you are not :))

Hey Neil,

thanks for coming back to me

for some reason it doesn't give me that option, its shadowed out in grey but i can choose about 20 different size's none of which make any difference

Hmm okay. You can force the game into Windowed Mode using command line options.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --small_screen and --windowed command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Archived