Known issues and solutions - FAQ

You don't need to email anyone Liam - I'm not sure what you mean. What error message are you getting when you type in the code?

Marc was inviting people to e-mail him last night if they weren't sure what their key code's were, and he said he'd decipher them. I've tried that link that confirms the code on more than one occasion, but I still kept getting thrown out on the phone last night. I am also using capital letters.

According to what's been said on here I must be typing the key code in incorrectly, so I'd just like absolute confirmation of what it is.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the opening post in this thread.

ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Sorry Miles, but i've tried both the solutions You gave, i've just updated my graphic card (Intel ® 82852/82855 GM/GME)and the error is still present, and also tried many and many times to get the directX SDK following the link You gave and it doesn't work cause when I try the download, it says ''sorry, cannot show the page'' so I really don't know whatelse i should do. I must tell You that before installing the patch, the game runned in the right way and also with the demo.Hope You can give me an answer or best a solution to this problem.

thank You

You can force the game into Windowed Mode using command line options.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --small_screen and --windowed command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --small_screen --windowed
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

HERO!!!!]

Finally i can play.

Cheers guys

Good luck to the rest of you.

Is it not slightly ironic though that the thing stopping it from working is the advanced 2d and 3d graphic system which most people don't even watch.

Cheers neil

HELP!!!!

I have a laptop that has no internet connection so I have to do activation by phone. Here's the problem the number it tells me to ring from the rep. of ireland is 1800 550 499. This puts me through to a tollfreephonenumbers.com answering machine which has five options to leave a voicemail message. None of which have anything to do with football manager 2009. For example one of the options is "to leave a message regarding accountin and human resources press..." This is a shambles.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi Uninstall the game, selecting 'deactivate' licence and reinstall and reactivate.

You have broken your activation - removing and re-adding will be fine

will work fine.

I just disinstall e deactivate and reinstall but don't work.

But I found a log in \sports Interactiv\ folder named activation.log :

Found explorer

Process Opened

Process Token Opened

SI Activator: Got -deactivate

SI Activator: Deactivating license: (removed)

SI Activator: Deactivating failed with code: -1038

This is the problem I think !! It's not my fault !!!! But FM don't deactivate !!!!

Help me please

HELP!!!!

I have a laptop that has no internet connection so I have to do activation by phone. Here's the problem the number it tells me to ring from the rep. of ireland is 1800 550 499. This puts me through to a tollfreeforwarding.com answering machine which has five options to leave a voicemail message. None of which have anything to do with football manager 2009 and the voice is an american woman which makes me feel that it's a totally wrong number. For example one of the options is "for accounting and human resources press 4...." This is a shambles.

WHAT AM i SUPPOSED TO DO?

IS THERE ANY OTHER NUMBER I CAN RING

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

This application has failed to start because saAuditMD.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

that is all im getting i need a DLL i think. Also there is no shortcut created on my desktop, I havent played the game yet.

This application has failed to start because saAuditMD.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem

that is all im getting i need a DLL i think. Also there is no shortcut created on my desktop, I havent played the game yet.

The link for this is on the first page of this thread in the Known Issues section towards the bottom.

when trying to watch the match it closes and says ' directsounderror -2004287480

i have the reccomended spec, the latest graphic drivers update, the sdk download which took hours. i have got everything but it just crashes.

i have also tried it in windowed mode and in 2d. please help.

The simple workaround for now is to disable sounds from the Preferences screen or update your sound card drivers.

this hasnt worked. what should i do

• SI Staff

Did you have installation errors when you installed? Please check the installation log (details of how to do this is on the first post in this thread).

Marc was inviting people to e-mail him last night if they weren't sure what their key code's were, and he said he'd decipher them. I've tried that link that confirms the code on more than one occasion, but I still kept getting thrown out on the phone last night. I am also using capital letters.

According to what's been said on here I must be typing the key code in incorrectly, so I'd just like absolute confirmation of what it is.

Marc is offline now until 5-ish. Murray is offline til 3-ish. They are the two people who would know how to do this.

There may well be someone at SEGA customer services who knows how to check - go to http://help.sega.com/ where you can raise an individual ticket.

You should be able to log in with the same details you use for this forum.

HELP!!!!

I have a laptop that has no internet connection so I have to do activation by phone. Here's the problem the number it tells me to ring from the rep. of ireland is 1800 550 499. This puts me through to a tollfreephonenumbers.com answering machine which has five options to leave a voicemail message. None of which have anything to do with football manager 2009. For example one of the options is "to leave a message regarding accountin and human resources press..." This is a shambles.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok - that doesn't sound good at all :(

I know very little about the phone system, so I have no choice but to pass you over to SEGA customer support who will get you up and running if you raise a ticket.

http://help.sega.com/

You should be able to log in with the same details you use for this forum.

I just disinstall e deactivate and reinstall but don't work.

But I found a log in \sports Interactiv\ folder named activation.log :

Found explorer

Process Opened

Process Token Opened

SI Activator: Got -deactivate

SI Activator: Deactivating license: (removed)

SI Activator: Deactivating failed with code: -1038

This is the problem I think !! It's not my fault !!!! But FM don't deactivate !!!!

Help me please

I removed your license code from the post above, as by posting it, anyone could use it and take your activations!

You will need to go through SEGA customer support for this one too as it's an error that I haven't seen before. Please follow the instructions that I gave to Sir Liam and nnlrkn above.

HELP!!!!

I have a laptop that has no internet connection so I have to do activation by phone. Here's the problem the number it tells me to ring from the rep. of ireland is 1800 550 499. This puts me through to a tollfreeforwarding.com answering machine which has five options to leave a voicemail message. None of which have anything to do with football manager 2009 and the voice is an american woman which makes me feel that it's a totally wrong number. For example one of the options is "for accounting and human resources press 4...." This is a shambles.

WHAT AM i SUPPOSED TO DO?

IS THERE ANY OTHER NUMBER I CAN RING

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

I really need to speak to someone form sigames at this point.

This is covered in the first post in this thread.

Fix: Please download the following update from the Microsoft Direct X SDK: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5493F76A-6D37-478D-BA17-28B1CCA4865A&displaylang=en

You should also check that you are running the latest graphics driver, you can do this by visiting the computer manufacturer website, or by visiting the graphics card manufacturing website.

Ive done the above and also downloaded Intel ® extreme graphics and still get the same problem. The other problem I have is that the Direck SDK file when I try to run it says this.

This setup executable has not been packed with files and settings. Please use PACKER tool to build this executable.

Download the patch v9.1 for starters.

Hi, when I run the patch it screws the game. I get a couple of games in to a season and the game crashes and my PC shuts down. totally. It is always at the same point. When a lower league team it's always league cup round 1!!?? I get no error message or anything, just shuts down.

I have uninstalled and not loaded the patch and the game runs fine but with all of the little glitches the patch fixes. I dont want to settle for playing a game with glitches... please help or I am getting a refund.

Thanks for your response Miles. I raised a ticket with Sega yesterday evening, but haven't yet had a response. I've also double checked by key code again on that website, and it seems right to me. I'll try again over the phone soon to see how far I get.

I had the graphics system problem and downloaded the patch i was told to download. This helped load the game up and i keep getting past the "kick racism" page and then it just goes black and has a flashing L in the corner. Anyone else having this problem? How do i fix it?

I really do feel like my problem is being ignored. If no one knows how to solve it, can you at least say instead of answering problems posted after me?!?! Thanks.

I'm encountering the "fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

The send report says the following:

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00fdc281

Any ideas? I've tried repairing the Microsoft Dot.Net framework but it doesn't work. I was playing the game earlier perfectly fine, and have tried re-installing it. I'm also running the latest patch?

• SI Staff
I really do feel like my problem is being ignored. If no one knows how to solve it, can you at least say instead of answering problems posted after me?!?! Thanks.

I'm encountering the "fm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

The send report says the following:

AppName: fm.exe AppVer: 9.1.0.26064 ModName: fm.exe

ModVer: 9.1.0.26064 Offset: 00fdc281

Any ideas? I've tried repairing the Microsoft Dot.Net framework but it doesn't work. I was playing the game earlier perfectly fine, and have tried re-installing it. I'm also running the latest patch?

Can you post this issue in the technical forum please.

• SI Staff
I had the graphics system problem and downloaded the patch i was told to download. This helped load the game up and i keep getting past the "kick racism" page and then it just goes black and has a flashing L in the corner. Anyone else having this problem? How do i fix it?

Are you using Steam?

If so...

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila

Have you tried what I suggested in the post you started yesterday, which I replied to this morning?

If so, something else for you to try is updating your firmware - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-41633-1&cc=ca&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3184140

updated the firmware like you suggested and still doesnt register.

is there anything else i could try?

• SI Staff
Hi, when I run the patch it screws the game. I get a couple of games in to a season and the game crashes and my PC shuts down. totally. It is always at the same point. When a lower league team it's always league cup round 1!!?? I get no error message or anything, just shuts down.

I have uninstalled and not loaded the patch and the game runs fine but with all of the little glitches the patch fixes. I dont want to settle for playing a game with glitches... please help or I am getting a refund.

Ok, best thing to do there is get a save game that you've saved the day of the issue or the day before. We can then load it up here and get it looked at in debug.

Post this in the technical issues forum.

• SI Staff

Fix: Please download the file from here and place in the following folder: C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009

http://downloads.sigames.com/download/saAuditMD.zip

Hi, I keep getting Error 821. I've tried this...

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

... But still no joy. It still tells me I need to purchase a new code.

Can anyone help please?

Hi, I keep getting Error 821. I've tried this...

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

... But still no joy. It still tells me I need to purchase a new code.

Can anyone help please?

Sorry Miles, but i've tried both the solutions You gave, i've just updated my graphic card (Intel ® 82852/82855 GM/GME)and the error is still present, and also tried many and many times to get the directX SDK following the link You gave and it doesn't work cause when I try the download, it says ''sorry, cannot show the page'' so I really don't know whatelse i should do. I must tell You that before installing the patch, the game runned in the right way and also with the demo.Hope You can give me an answer or best a solution to this problem.

thank You

That's quite unusual. It sounds like some files didn't get installed. You could try pressing 'Enter' to confirm, but more likely you need to reinstall the game to make sure the actual graphics for those buttons are present on your machine.

The first thing I did Neil was to try pressing Enter which didn't work and I've now re-installed for the second time with no success?

I've installed FM2009 on to my laptop and when I go to launch it I get the following message :

fm.exe - unable to locate component

this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found. re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've re-installed it several times but it still doesn't work. I've downloaded the patch but that doesn't help either.

I've loaded it on to my old base unit pc and it works ok, so any ideas why it won't work on my more up to date laptop ?

I've not had response to this. I guess I'll put it another way FM2008 worked on my Laptop FM2009 doesn't. The laptop is well within spec to what's changed !?!?!?!?

I was so peeved off last night to say the least.

I spent an hour with the game, settings things up only to get to the first friendly game for it to freeze when selecting the team and going to the match.

I've had a quick look this afternoon to find out the problem and it appears with the resolution at 1680x1050 and 60 hz (optimal setting for the lcd) the game is freezing when going to the match.

I also noticed that when it's at 1680x1050 and 60hz one of the license startup screens is all pixelated, but after that the rest of the text is fine.

The game is working fine at 1680x1050 with 59hz, no idea why this is, even the refresh rate is at 60hz in the nvidia settings.

This is using Vista x64 and the patch.

I've had a quick game and the 3d view does add a new dimension. The match engine also looked much better than the demo version.

Things look very promising.

Hi iv tried installing through steam and the uniloc methods. When trying through steam i get the message "this game is currently unavailable, please try again later".Ive tried deleting the clientreistry but nothing happens.The other method seems to install ok until the final part where you try to open the game the message "football manager is already running" appears. Does anybody have any clue how to fix this, as the same thing happend with the 08 game.

Are you using Steam?

If so...

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila

I have done this and still egtting the same problem. Get passed the kick racism page and then it just goes black with a flashin L and a circle in the bottom right hand corner. Any other suggestions?

hi, i couldn't get the game to work because it said i wasn't connected to the net etc. So i followed the guide on the 1st page and error 10 comes up where do i go from here? can someone please help?

I'm not too clever with the computer either

SI are just sending you to SEGA who sends you back to the SI forum... Having this problem for 3 days, and no help. Thinking of returning the game tommorow if nothing new.. :(

I have tried to download the direct x update of both the mircosoft and softpedia websites several times but when it reaches 64% the internet goes off line and the following message appears "C:\Documents and Settings\New User\Desktop\DXSDK_Aug08.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.", meaning the download is not completed.

Please help.

when i get about 7 minutes into a game it freezes for about 3 minutes, anyone know why?

also, when i make a sub, after that, the highlight screen does not automatically come on, anyone know why this is?

any help would be appreciated.

I have the patch

Ok, best thing to do there is get a save game that you've saved the day of the issue or the day before. We can then load it up here and get it looked at in debug.

Post this in the technical issues forum.

Thanks for you quick reply but I don't mean it runins my already started saved games. It does it to the game full stop. If I start a game from scratch with no patches ran I can play season after season but have the usual mouse flick etc etc. When I run the patch it solves all the glithes but causes a problem which means any game I start crash dumps at the same point, a couple of games in.

Because I know the point it crashes I have a save game just before.. will that help? plase also help by explaining how/ where I uploaded to

FYI.. I posted a thread in technical issues 2 days ago with no response.

I have tried to download the direct x update of both the mircosoft and softpedia websites several times but when it reaches 64% the internet goes off line and the following message appears "C:\Documents and Settings\New User\Desktop\DXSDK_Aug08.exe.part could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.", meaning the download is not completed.

Please help.

Perhaps you could try an alternative place to download, such as:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_directx/download/dc79b571503b126c180f22aca64b8e67/

I installed the game last night and played for about 20 mins before going to bed. Went through a match as well and no problems.

Now though I can't play it all. There are no shortcuts on my desktop or start menu and you can't open the disk through My Computer either.

Help me.

Ta.

I've not had response to this. I guess I'll put it another way FM2008 worked on my Laptop FM2009 doesn't. The laptop is well within spec to what's changed !?!?!?!?

If you go to the folder on your machine where the "fm.exe" lives, is that dll present there?

Typically this is in either:

C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

If you bought through Steam:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

When i click on Fm 09 icon it shows me the logos etc. but its freezes at the 'L' speed dial, it flickers like mad !!!

I have downloaded the microsoft thing, and im currenlty downloading the new patc

Help me pls

Ive done the above and also downloaded Intel ® extreme graphics and still get the same problem. The other problem I have is that the Direck SDK file when I try to run it says this.

This setup executable has not been packed with files and settings. Please use PACKER tool to build this executable.

Can you drop me a PM please?

Archived