Known issues and solutions - FAQ

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I installed the game last night and played for about 20 mins before going to bed. Went through a match as well and no problems.

Now though I can't play it all. There are no shortcuts on my desktop or start menu and you can't open the disk through My Computer either.

Help me.

Ta.

What operating system are you using?

If you installed through Microsoft Windows Vista, you should be able to find the shortcut in Games Explorer which you can get to by:

- Select 'Start'

- In the search box type in "Games Explorer" and select it.

- The FM exe should be there.

If you installed via Steam you can find it here:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009

i have just got my game activated but it says i can't run the game because i have not set up the graphics system. i am not connected to the internet so how would i be able to set up the graphics. is it possible to download and save it on another computer then transfer via memory stick onto the other computer

for some odd reason the activation claim it was done successfully when I enter the code with "O" and "0". Yet, as a doubleclick the game-icon, it says my testperiod is over anyway. And I have tried re-installing and removing the activation-files mentioned in these posts. Still nothing.

When i click on Fm 09 icon it shows me the logos etc. but it freezes at the 'L' speed dial, it just keeps on flashing like mad !!!

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila.....i have done this and the same thing keeps happening.

Has anyone got any other suggestions that will work and allow me to play the game or should i just give up and take the game back cus this is getting very annoying!!

When i click on Fm 09 icon it shows me the logos etc. but it freezes at the 'L' speed dial, it just keeps on flashing like mad !!!

Fix: In steam click the icon "settings", click the tab "in game" and untick the "enable steam community" and voila.....i have done this and the same thing keeps happening.

Has anyone got any other suggestions that will work and allow me to play the game or should i just give up and take the game back cus this is getting very annoying!!

Im not using steam

I am having trouble with soft anchor, everytime i open the game i need to activate my key again. I have deleted all certifcates, uninstalled the game numerous times and used the activator but still this keeps happening.

I am playing through steam on windows XP, any help would be appreciated!

I'm not sure if my question will be answered but here goes anyway...

Steam frustrated me, so I quit that and went to the other online activation, which worked alright after a couple of minutes. Then the failed graphics system error came (after I got the patch) so I downloaded some other Windows thing that was suggested. Okey doke. Then loading up FM it always came up with a black screen so I had to scroll loads to reveal the buttons and whatnot.

So I wanted windowed mode, but it's greyed out. Then I do the target thing with the desktop icon like previous versions, but FM crashes. One of the combinations works, and windowed is no longer greyed out. So that's cool. But when I reload FM, it crashes again. (So I have to go back to making it full screen before quitting). That's all good. Now I like to play FM with a few addons. I was told by others (who have got everything working fine) that I could use my FM08 stuff with my FM09. So I followed the same thing.

The thing is, I moved all my FM stuff from my C drive to my D drive (as my D had more space). But the FM08 faces etc wouldn't load. So I reloaded, but nothing. Then I went to preferences and on the first screen (I can't remember what it is) it had something about user data. And there it had a C:/blahblah address, so I went there and changed it to D:/blahblah. Skin reloaded, but still no graphics.

Now the problem... whenever I load FM, it doesn't go past the loading icon in the bottom right corner with all the languages. I've tried it plenty of times but I have Ctrl-Alt-Delete out of it. I can't get onto the main menu at all now. Could some kind soul please shed some light on this? And once that's done, is there a possible way to use all my FM08 stuff on FM09? I'd like to, because it's a great game to play when I have that.

Thanks in advance, sorry if I sounded moany.

I am having trouble with soft anchor, everytime i open the game i need to activate my key again. I have deleted all certifcates, uninstalled the game numerous times and used the activator but still this keeps happening.

I am playing through steam on windows XP, any help would be appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPOST < Think i got missed

Just ran that activate script which worked.

Went to open the game the softanchor online activation came up asking for me key.

Key went in press next and now it says " This unlock key is already active. To purchase an unlock key, Please visit : http://sigames.com."

Hi, I keep getting Error 821. I've tried this...

Fix: You need to delete the certificates and re-activate the game

1) On receiving the error, please uninstall the game

2) Please navigate to the following directory:

XP users: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

Vista users: C:\Program Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 Certificate

3) Please ensure that it is the \certificate directory you are located in

4) Delete all content

5) Reboot the machine

6) Re-run the installation programme and retry activation - ensuring you have 'verified' your key using the following website: http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

7) You should now be activated

I... But still no joy. It still tells me I need to purchase a new code.

Can anyone help please?

I've had this problem to I cant find the certificate for the game in the folders, im on Vista

Yes, I also have the problem where I am told that I have successfully registered the game with soft anchor, i click on finish, then i try to load up FM, only for it to come up with the soft anchor registration screen again as if I've never done it!! Little help please?? Really getting on my nerves this.

Yes, I also have the problem where I am told that I have successfully registered the game with soft anchor, i click on finish, then i try to load up FM, only for it to come up with the soft anchor registration screen again as if I've never done it!! Little help please?? Really getting on my nerves this.

Same problem here.

is anyone having the problem that when you try go into match mode you have problems... My computer screen goes black and then the computer displays a message that says something along the lines of... driver reset failed after timeout..... and restarts. I can get the 3D

Comeon SI please help i have posted somemany post today over this and no one has the answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SI i feel sorry for the people who are getting for x-mas, it won't work on theres !!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you SI

I've just successfully activated mine by phone!:thup:

In the end I kept trying with the same key code and eventually it's worked.

Thanks to Marc, Miles, Neil and the rest on here who have helped myself and others. The situations that have arisen are unacceptable, but the fact you guys have spent so many hours doing your best to rectify the situation is very much appreciated, and shows the positive side of Sports Interactive.

Got in & can sove the ERROR -10 For you all.

In recent months ive been unable to access some sites to pay for goods & holidays (thomas cook) it would not let me pay online (maybe certificate issues ?).

Also I was having problems with Norton Anti Virus (deleted, some files stayed in hard drive unable to delete apparently ?) when I changed to AVG (both conflicting)

Ive just received a wireless router for my AOL, ive updated my package with AOL, while installing the wireless router disc, right at the end of installaton it asked if I wanted to download 9.0VR (which I was already on). A message came up asking if I wanted to continue blocking Internet Explorer or something like that, I clicked UNBLOCK.

I activated my code and Im in.....gonna try & save Luton now.

Love you all xxxx

Can someone help me. When i try get into match mode my computer resets itself, but just before it says something along the lines of "driver reset failed after timeout"

i have managed to get the 3d mode working in windowed mode but it doesnt stay like that and resets after a couple of minutes. And when it ia working the pitch is black and there is no crowd etc

Once again I've tried to put my kedcode into the activator and I get the same message again ...... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Line : 22

Char : 1

Error : The system could not find the file specified

Code : 80070002

Source : ( null )

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the lads at SI can help get me sorted out as after 3 very long and stressful days of trying to access and play the game I've virtually pulled out all my hair which isn't a good thing as I'm starting to look like my dad !!!!!!!!!

Can someone help me. When i try get into match mode my computer resets itself, but just before it says something along the lines of "driver reset failed after timeout"

i have managed to get the 3d mode working in windowed mode but it doesnt stay like that and resets after a couple of minutes. And when it ia working the pitch is black and there is no crowd etc

It sounds like you need to update your graphics card drivers if you haven't done so already as well as ensuring you've installed the patch.

Once again I've tried to put my kedcode into the activator and I get the same message again ...... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Line : 22

Char : 1

Error : The system could not find the file specified

Code : 80070002

Source : ( null )

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the lads at SI can help get me sorted out as after 3 very long and stressful days of trying to access and play the game I've virtually pulled out all my hair which isn't a good thing as I'm starting to look like my dad !!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the lack of response - need to wait on the guys over at Uniloc and Murray to come back (after a short rest) as they are the ones with the expertise in this area.

They shouldnt need updating my computer is brand new with nvidia geforce. Is it simply just a case of going onto nvidia website and downloading the driver updates??? And are they free???

Yes - and you should always keep your drivers as up to date as possible.

They will be free if there are any available for your card from the NVIDIA website.

the game loads fine, but then stops on the 'L' dial ,,, im not good on computers so i will need a step by step guide and the exact links i don't have a clue about graphics cards etc....

I just really want this game to work SI

Neil can you please reply to this, you suggest i try the activate script which i did and now i have this problem.

REPOST < Think i got missed

Just ran that activate script which worked.

Went to open the game the softanchor online activation came up asking for me key.

Key went in press next and now it says " This unlock key is already active. To purchase an unlock key, Please visit : http://sigames.com."

No phone activation option appearing after installation.

I've uninstalled, restarted my computer and reinstalled this game on six occasions. Each time I have selected the uniloc option (using the internet or phone activation). After installation has been successfully completed and the Soft Anchor screen appears there has been only one occasion where the option for both online and phone activation appeared. On the other five occasions there is only the online activation. Any idea why the phone activation option is not appearing? I've checked the install log and under choose delivery method it has Install via uniloc.

On the one occasion I had the phone activation I went through the process and was apparently successful. However, nothing happened and when tried starting FM09 was presented with the Soft Anchor activation screen again. Any ideas of why this is happening?

OK, I haven't tried in here before so I'll give it a go. I haven't read through the whole 11 pages, so forgive me if I have missed something. I want to solve:

1. The flickering cursor

2. The black screen I get when I load the game. I have managed to get the game installed via Steam. this involved getting the Microsoft patch, and the SI patch, and updating my videocard driver. However I cannot see the screen when I launch the game. Some parts of the screen will appear if I hold the cursor over them, but not others.

Someone from SI suggested deleting the cache, but I am not sure if that means the whole SI folder in the Application Data folder, or going into that SI folder and only deleting elements. There are other folders within the SI one - FM07, FM08, the 09 Certificate and Installer Launcher. I don't want to wreck things by taking them all out in case some are needed. The certificate, for instance.

3. The CD doesn't play in my DVD drive. I tried uninstalling Steam and installing via the other route, but that was even worse.

What are the answers please?

Yes - and you should always keep your drivers as up to date as possible.

They will be free if there are any available for your card from the NVIDIA website.

I DOWNLOADED A PATCH AND REINSTALLED THE GAME AND IT HAS GIVEN ME THE OPYION TO INSTALL USING STEAM. i DIDNT GET THIS OPTION WHEN I INSTALLED IT THE FIRST TIME. IS THIS A RESULT OF DOWNLOADING THE PATCH???

I'm sorry, I don't speak english very well, but I can't play FM2009 !!!!!

My computer meets the requirements, I can install the game and launch it. But when I have to launch a football match the screen freeze, and I have to close the game... I've tried to disable 3D but I have the same problem...

Please Help me !!!!

Marc, Neil, Miles

I'm running a pretty up-to-date macbook with a couple of gig of RAM core 2 duo etc. Having turned off all the graphic related elements, 3d engine, player pics etc. I am still having the same trouble, ever time I go to play a game, it freezes, bringing up the spinning wheel of death. I am running FM 09 in windowed mode, as suggested by a few people on here, but no joy.

Any suggestions? or is it a case of waiting for the mac patch tomorrow?

Archived