Known issues and solutions - FAQ

I bought my football manager 2009 yesterday and it worked out fine, but when I tried to start it this morning i got the following error message (just before the starting menu was reached):

"XML Parsing error

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml"

I haven't edited or added anything to the game nor have I run any other patches than the 9.1.0 that came with the game. I have reinstalled the game two times without improvement.

What to do?

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I really think i'm stuck with this...

Getting the ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Though my problem is that i'm stuck on dial up, as i cant get broadband in my small area. Still to be honest this really shouldn't be affecting me playing this game in the slightest having to download some extraordinary large file. Why it wasn't included on the disc i don't know. People with absolutley no internet have been well and truly done over.

My estimated time to download DirectX update is 19hours30mins although at 9 hours only 30% was dowloaded then it crashed. What am i to do? I have a fairly new PC and have updated graphics drivers but still to no avail.

So please please help me with this...even if there is any way i could buy this directx file on disc...

Hi All,

We have created a small activator script that should help anybody having trouble activating the game online.

Step 1 – Download the activator from http://rapidshare.de/files/40919470/fix.zip

Step 2 – Unzip the contents of the activator to your desktop.

Step 3 – Double click the activate.vbs file. Note the screen shot below.

pic1.jpg

Step 4 – Next you will see a dialog box prompting you for your license key.

pic2.jpg

Step 5 – Enter your license key into the dialog. Remember – to check your key at http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

Step 6 – Press OK - then wait 30-60 seconds and you will receive a second message. If you are successful – the message will read:

pic3.jpg

If you get this message, open the game and run it.

If the activation fails, the message will read something like:

pic4.jpg

The number in this message will help us understand the problem. For example, In this case the number -1003 indicates that your license key. If the error is -1003 enter your license key into the form at: http://keycheck.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com

If it is something besides -1003, please send Muzchap or JMordetsky a PM and they will do their best to help!

Hi,

Can someone please help me activate my game. I keep getting the -51 error!!!!!

I bought the game through steam, and don't know how to uninstall the game without losing it, can you please tell me how to uninstall the game, and delete the certificate thingy.

Cheers

Kiwityke - please go back to page 1 and try the fix suggested there ;) That should help... (we've just updated it - download the little app)

Hey, I really think i'm stuck with this...

Getting the ERROR: Cannot run game:Failed to set up graphics system

Though my problem is that i'm stuck on dial up, as i cant get broadband in my small area. Still to be honest this really shouldn't be affecting me playing this game in the slightest having to download some extraordinary large file. Why it wasn't included on the disc i don't know. People with absolutley no internet have been well and truly done over.

My estimated time to download DirectX update is 19hours30mins although at 9 hours only 30% was dowloaded then it crashed. What am i to do? I have a fairly new PC and have updated graphics drivers but still to no avail.

So please please help me with this...even if there is any way i could buy this directx file on disc...

Hi Coldo

Please use FireFox - it will resume the file transfer - if you're really stuck - PM me and I'll send it out on disc.

M

i'VE tried the rapidshare twice first time it said -1007 error the second time -51 error. Just glad to see for the first time since 7.20am Friday morning it isn't the SoftAnchor screen telling me am not connected to the internet. But whats my next step??

Hi Don - we're actually working on the -51 fix right now :)

Please, please, please accept our apologies on this...

Great work SI so far so good just used the website below as advised and straight copy and paste, just started new game patch everything installed. I presumed steam was good after using it when getting the demo, however, i have not used it this time standard install implemented due to steam getting savaged. i have just selected my leagues lets now see how it goes. Got to be up for 10

http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Great work SI so far so good just used the website below as advised and straight copy and paste, just started new game patch everything installed. I presumed steam was good after using it when getting the demo, however, i have not used it this time standard install implemented due to steam getting savaged. i have just selected my leagues lets now see how it goes. Got to be up for 10

http://keylookup.fm2009.softanchorinsight.com/

Excellent :)

thanks for the quick PM and email.greatly appreaciated!howver iam pasting exactly what the ckeychecker says into it and it says error 703 make sure you use the correct key and try again!???

Ok - checking.... Hmm can you try in 5 mins - we saw your activation attempt bounce due to a slight server glitch.

Excellent :)

Cheers mate i love the support we receive on this website and although i have only been registered for a short while i have used the website for a long time.

I have always loved CM/fm and i have had nearly every single game starting back when me uncle brought me cm1 when i was about 7-8 on our amiga.

Note, began game as Man city just wanting to spend big and get a feel for the game, however, i am disappointed that i only get a max of over £80 million to spend and that is only if i say i am going to win the league, on the psp version i have over £200 million to spend, nevertheless here goes thank you all another MARATHON SESSION STARTS.

Cheers mate i love the support we receive on this website and although i have only been registered for a short while i have used the website for a long time.

I have always loved CM/fm and i have had nearly every single game starting back when me uncle brought me cm1 when i was about 7-8 on our amiga.

Note, began game as Man city just wanting to spend big and get a feel for the game, however, i am disappointed that i only get a max of over £80 million to spend and that is only if i say i am going to win the league, on the psp version i have over £200 million to spend, nevertheless here goes thank you all another MARATHON SESSION STARTS.

Thanks for the kind words - we've had some very frustrated (understandably) users today, so nice to get a 'thanks' and see somebody activate so smoothly.

Yes, most people are using the DATA EDITOR to give Man City £300million to spend.

Thanks for the kind words - we've had some very frustrated (understandably) users today, so nice to get a 'thanks' and see somebody activate so smoothly.

Yes, most people are using the DATA EDITOR to give Man City £300million to spend.

I reckon i will try that next, everything running smoothly appreciate your help totally immersed already. I love my PS3, I LOVE MY 360 WII ETC, I luv pro evo Fallout, GOW 2, GTA 4, MGS, however nothing ruins my life as much FM.

I get the "Activation completed successfully. Please try to run the game." message. Still, when I try to run the game through steam it says my trial is expired and it tells me to enter my key. And this goes on and on and on....

Now what? :-)

Ok my sob story.

Bought via Steam. Downloaded and patched.

Opened and ran game first time and it crashed when going to first match.

Restarted and crashed at same point again.

Now it won't even start ("Football Manager 2009 has stopped working").

I have updated my graphics drivers (Geforce 9300 256mb), Directx and dotNet. Still no joy.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Very vague error I know.

I'm running Vista with 4gb RAM and dual procesors@1.7Ghz.

Thank you

Colin

i GET THE GAME APPLIACTION FAILED, PLEASE USE CORRECT KEY. I HAVE TRIED THIS USING FULL CAPITAL LETTER AND LOWER CASE NOW. I HAVE CUT AND PASTED BOTH FROM THE KEY CHECKER SCREEEN.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GOOD.

GAVE IT 36 HOURS ALREADY, GOT TO GIVE IT ANOTHER 2 TODAY THEN BACK TO TESCO!

ok. i restarted my pc. I have re-installed game, choosing Uniloc method again, now i only activATE by internet option and no phone. this is getting very very frustrating. I have treid the post above and get error 10, invalid key! maybe my key on the box is a dud! maybe even the game is a dud 1, starting to feel like this,

i know some of the chaps on here are being very helpfull, both from sega and SI,and I am thankfull, but come on, how many games have been sold! where is everyone else. Surely someone out there needs to dig in their pocket and sort this mess out now!not soon, or in a short while, I am sure I wont be on my own come 10 am when the shops open if we can't get to play this!

• SI Staff
Whats? Appliacation failed error 1o with the new activation thingy?>

This is new one. The two examples we've seen where people were on a proxy connection in shared accomodation.

I have been trying to play the game now for 3 straight days and still no joy so I look around these forumd for dome help and maybe a solution. I read with intrest your help page on page 1 as I too have been having problems with Internet connections. So I followed yopur step by step guide on page 1 on this topic but yet when I put my code into the activate box I get the following error :

Line : 22

Char : 1

Error : The system could not find the file specified

Code : 80070002

Source : ( null )

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the lads at SI can help get me sorted out as after 3 very long and stressful days of trying to access and play the game I've virtually pulled out all my hair which isn't a good thing as I'm starting to look like my dad !!!!!!!!!

My problem: Game freezes when i start a match (not responding).

I have downloaded via Steam so cannot change the target to windowed mode. My option on the shortcut is:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

Windowed mode is greyed out on the preferences menu - i have unticked threading also which someone said may help with no joy.

Also i'm using a new PC so drivers will be up to date

Previously it would freeze on club info screen but thats fine now(?)

If anyone can help or point me in another direction it would be much appreciated as i'm so dissapointed!

Thnaks in advance

• SI Staff
I have been trying to play the game now for 3 straight days and still no joy so I look around these forumd for dome help and maybe a solution. I read with intrest your help page on page 1 as I too have been having problems with Internet connections. So I followed yopur step by step guide on page 1 on this topic but yet when I put my code into the activate box I get the following error :

Line : 22

Char : 1

Error : The system could not find the file specified

Code : 80070002

Source : ( null )

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if the lads at SI can help get me sorted out as after 3 very long and stressful days of trying to access and play the game I've virtually pulled out all my hair which isn't a good thing as I'm starting to look like my dad !!!!!!!!!

Email me please marc.duffy@sigames.com with the URL and activation code you are trying and those errors.

• SI Staff
My problem: Game freezes when i start a match (not responding).

I have downloaded via Steam so cannot change the target to windowed mode. My option on the shortcut is:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

Windowed mode is greyed out on the preferences menu - i have unticked threading also which someone said may help with no joy.

Also i'm using a new PC so drivers will be up to date

Previously it would freeze on club info screen but thats fine now(?)

If anyone can help or point me in another direction it would be much appreciated as i'm so dissapointed!

Thnaks in advance

This one is for the technical issues forum

• SI Staff
Hi

After downloading activate, to help me activate my correct key code. It gave me a message - Activation failed with error -10. Please make sure you use the correct key code and try again ???

Error -10 people please email me marc.duffy@sigames.com

I'll try my luck here, then.

I bought Football Manager 09 for PC from a local supermarket on Friday-morning (2 minutes after the market opened). I installed it and after a bit of trouble with the "graphics system failing" -thing I managed to start playing the game at about 11 PM. After a couple of hours I carefully saved the game and made sure the save was complete before shutting the computer down at 1 AM. Yesterday I wanted to continue playing again, and what I get is a XML Parsing Error - not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to fix this; defragmenting, uninstalling, reinstallling, reactivating, downloading DirectX and the Microsoft parsing thingy and many others, deleting caches, rebooting and a lot lot lot more!

How will I be able to play the game which has so far cost me 49,90€ and 72 hours of my life?

• SI Staff
I'll try my luck here, then.

I bought Football Manager 09 for PC from a local supermarket on Friday-morning (2 minutes after the market opened). I installed it and after a bit of trouble with the "graphics system failing" -thing I managed to start playing the game at about 11 PM. After a couple of hours I carefully saved the game and made sure the save was complete before shutting the computer down at 1 AM. Yesterday I wanted to continue playing again, and what I get is a XML Parsing Error - not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of last_saved_game.xml. I spent the entire day yesterday trying to fix this; defragmenting, uninstalling, reinstallling, reactivating, downloading DirectX and the Microsoft parsing thingy and many others, deleting caches, rebooting and a lot lot lot more!

How will I be able to play the game which has so far cost me 49,90€ and 72 hours of my life?

Delete that XML file and it will rebuild it.

Archived