[FM19] Real Life USA-Canada Expansion by Uncle Sam (Now compatible with 19.3)

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This file has a LOT of moving parts. I've done a lot of testing, but I'm sure there are some things that slipped through the cracks. If you come across something please post about it here and I will try to correct it as soon as possible.

Future additions:

I am planning on adding a couple of optional downloads to enhance the experience. I will likely release a revival of the preseason Pan-Pacific Championship competition, which pitted the MLS champion against the Australian, Korean, and Japanese champions. Also the North American SuperLiga and a rebuild of the CONMEBOL Sudamericana where the CONCACAF Champions League finalists participate.

Credits: this file is largely inspired by forum member paulgerty. He used to release a file much like this one. I haven’t seen him around in awhile, but without his work this likely wouldn’t exist. 

Aljarov is the official SI head researcher for North America. He and the North American FM community helped and even provided a significant amount of the raw data. 

All of the editors whose files I examined to help me learn how the process works. They would be too many to name. 

1 hour ago, Uncle_Sam said:

Credits: this file is largely inspired by forum member paulgerty. He used to release a file much like this one. I haven’t seen him around in awhile, but without his work this likely wouldn’t exist. 

Aljarov is the official SI head researcher for North America. He and the North American FM community helped and even provided a significant amount of the raw data. 

All of the editors whose files I examined to help me learn how the process works. They would be too many to name. 

Thanks for the mention, looks very good. I have resurrected my old file for FM19 for personal use, but it's not quite as polished off this this one. Well done!

• SI Staff

There are lots of corresponding logos for team, competitions, conferences etc...I've not checked to see if they can just be dropped in.  Jeremiah has done great work again here.  I'd love to see this file really take off and Jeremiah get the credit he deserves.  Please consider contributing to his Patreon for this, he's put a LOT of work in.  

I'd like to do a players pack for this at some point over the winter (including top NCAA players and top MLS academy guys, either at the academy or in NCAA).  I will see if I can get to that and keep people up to date - I'm already working on the official stuff for the Feb patch.

1 hour ago, bragin2951 said:

First of all, thank you for your big work! Secondly, about NCAA teams - did you try mark those teams as 'Is Institute'? If didn't - you should try. There are some teams in database, which marked as institute (ex. INF Clairefontaine)

I thought about doing that. I asked around what exactly the "Is Institute" setting actually means in-game and the best answer I got (including from the SI staff) was basically to try and see what happens. Do you know what it does?

1 минуту назад, Uncle_Sam сказал:

I thought about doing that. I asked around what exactly the "Is Institute" setting actually means in-game and the best answer I got (including from the SI staff) was basically to try and see what happens. Do you know what it does?

Unfortunaly, no. I've got only guess, that it would help. I can check it for you if you like.

2 minutes ago, bragin2951 said:

Unfortunaly, no. I've got only guess, that it would help. I can check it for you if you like.

I'd be interested in anything you can find out. From what I can see in the database it's for "football factory" academies. I honestly don't know if that would be good or bad for the NCAA teams.

• SI Staff

NCAA - biggest issue I can see here is the mechanism you are using for getting teams into the NCAA tournament.

In prior attempts, I've put in, for example, the conference Regular season winner and Tournament winner (NCAA like a continental competition).  In my test, Kentucky won the C-USA regular season, runner's up in the tournament and in their wider NCAA group and didn't get in.

My system was imperfect in that it took set amounts from conferences like ACC each year, but I always made at least 1 spot available for each conference to make sure there was at least a pathway to the big dance.  Any chance you could look at this?

I should point out, I like the groups, because I think that's a good way to replicate the exhibition season etc...but maybe it probably shouldn't feed directly into the NCAA without some input from the conferences?  Work in tandem or split?

2 hours ago, Betahouse91 said:

Can you say, how I can choose Miami? When i start a new game, it schows me only Cincinnati from the expansion-teams in the selection of the MLS

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to pick Miami unless you're starting in 2019 somehow (late start date or holiday) , since they don't enter until the 2020 season. 

• SI Staff

NCAA - other issue I've found are it's hard/impossible to sign new players.  Every team apart from yours gets an intake on 1/1, not sure why it's not doing the same for the human managed team?

I'm trying to find a work around in the game, but nothing so far.  Could be a lack of GM/DOF.

UPDATE: Adding a GM saw me get an intake (guys automatically signed).  It seems LOTS of the ex USSFDA, especially ex-MLS academy guys, don't want to consider a move to a college (not just mine).  Might be something to do with the reps?  I could see hundreds of guys on frees who wouldn't talk to me at all (wont move because of the financial package on offer - IE amateur deal).

Another issue I've found is the staff aren't able to be offered FT/paying contracts,.  I seem to recall there's a way to set it so staff members can be paid salaries and be full time etc.

• SI Staff

Expansion/NCAA Feedback - where we are including new USL expansion teams I've seen they are populating themselves by signing a load of NCAA players.  I lost 4 to one team in one season, and 11 in total.  Only 1 was drafted of those, the rest went to expansion sides.

I'd probably prefer a version without the expansion sides at the lower leagues, as it is clearly messing with the NCAA.  Either that, or perhaps I should start 2 seasons in.

hi bro, first of all, fantastic work man, exactly what i was looking for, im sure a lot of people too, too bad FM19 couldnt accommodate the latest changes in US soccer...

i have a question tho... i want to raise the number of DPIs to 8. i put in the squad selection rules in Rule 0, but nothing happened. can you guide me on how to do this please?

Really enjoying playing around with this huge update! Only problem I have is in the USSDA, the MLS farmer teams have after a couple of season full teams, while all other teams only have greys, Also I think it's a bit strange that NCAA has a reputation higher than the top divisions in Honduras, Panama, Guatemala, etc, even the second division in Mexico. Surely an amateur league would only have 1 star reputation at the very most? Just my two cents :)

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, m.braathen said:

Really enjoying playing around with this huge update! Only problem I have is in the USSDA, the MLS farmer teams have after a couple of season full teams, while all other teams only have greys, Also I think it's a bit strange that NCAA has a reputation higher than the top divisions in Honduras, Panama, Guatemala, etc, even the second division in Mexico. Surely an amateur league would only have 1 star reputation at the very most? Just my two cents :)

Yeah, this seems off to me too.  Jeremiah, was this something that I had set?

UPDATE:  I have uploaded a new version of the file (2.3)

FIXES -

MLS Expansion International Slots (Inter Miami and Nashville SC) - This was the biggest ifix. Now they will have the 8 they are supposed to have by default. I had actually fixed this in an earlier version of the file but for some reason, I didn't have the fix in for the release. But it is now. I had to get creative for that (as well as many other things), but it works properly now.

NPSL Northeast Region - The playoffs were not selecting the correct teams. That is fixed as far as I can tell.

On 23/12/2018 at 14:54, Ruh Roh said:

If you were able to sort out these issues with Miami and Nashville (international slots + academy team) I'd be delighted

So the International Slots is a pickle, it's why you can't have Pro/Rel in the default MLS. Only teams who have their Club Division set as Major League Soccer get International Slots (except for the hard-coded expansion teams, ie FC Cincinnati). The fix is actually pretty simple. I set Nashville SC and Inter Miami's division as MLS. But in the rules, I tell MLS the specific 23 teams to use for the league stage in 2018, 24 in 2019, and 26 in 2020. I also tell USLC to get the specific teams I want them to have each season (Including Nashville SC). So even though Nashville's Division is set as MLS, they are actually playing in USLC the first 2 season. That works, because there is no promotion/relegation in USA. 

The Academy dynamic can NOT be recreated. I wish SI would make it a setting for the "Affiliation Type" where you can just set it as "MLS Academy". Maybe they'll do that in the future.

EDIT: While you can't recreate the MLS Academy, I was able to circumvent it by swapping Nashville SC with Chivas USA. CUSA and their academy are still hard-coded with the default MLS academy dynamic so that works. Nothing can be done for Miami, I'm afraid.

Edited by Uncle_Sam

21 hours ago, Betahouse91 said:

Can you say, how I can choose Miami? When i start a new game, it schows me only Cincinnati from the expansion-teams in the selection of the MLS

They start in the lower leagues, so they're unplayable until they join the league. I can probably come up with a fix for that. Look for it in version 2.4.

14 hours ago, allman105 said:

hi bro, first of all, fantastic work man, exactly what i was looking for, im sure a lot of people too, too bad FM19 couldnt accommodate the latest changes in US soccer...

i have a question tho... i want to raise the number of DPIs to 8. i put in the squad selection rules in Rule 0, but nothing happened. can you guide me on how to do this please?

If you try and mess with the default MLS rules, sadly it kills all of them.

20 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

how do you have the CPL just having youth players coming from youth intake day no U-Sports draft or anything?

Not yet, they haven't announced anything like that that I've seen. If you have, by all means link me and I will see if I can recreate it.

OK guys, still efforting the file. For version 2.4, I'm looking at implementing the ability to take over expansion teams from the beginning. I don't think that will be too difficult.

The NCAA also obviously needs to be looked at closer. That is the most difficult component of American soccer to replicate. I have a few ideas, so I might upload a couple of different versions of the file and see which one works best.

8 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

I'll add that to the changes for 2.4.

So are u adding in like a 3 round draft?.. also you going to put a post in the main post to find out what version of the save file it is so that we know?

Edited by Fmfan00

9 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

So are u adding in like a 3 round draft?.. also you going to put a post in the main post to find out what version of the save file it is so that we know?

I'm going to try with the draft, the FM19 editor actually has that an option. However, I've never done that before so it will be a new process for me to figure out and I have to try and figure out where the draft will pull from players from, like the MLS Superdraft pulls from the NCAA in my file.

18 hours ago, Aljarov said:

Where is the link to the new file?  The one attached to original post is still the old version?

Does anyone else have this issue? I've tried from multiple computers and it links to the "USA-CANADA Expansion Fm19-2" file with the 2.3 file as it should.

12 hours ago, Fmfan00 said:

Added the version of the file to the OP, good suggestion. Thank you.

So the CPL draft draws from the Canadian U Sports college league. I could try and put it in, but I would need someone to create for me the U Sports raw data. That means each conference and team needs to be created. From what I could gather, there are four "conferences" and a total of 56 or so teams.

Edited by Uncle_Sam

On 23/12/2018 at 16:00, Aljarov said:

NCAA - biggest issue I can see here is the mechanism you are using for getting teams into the NCAA tournament.

In prior attempts, I've put in, for example, the conference Regular season winner and Tournament winner (NCAA like a continental competition).  In my test, Kentucky won the C-USA regular season, runner's up in the tournament and in their wider NCAA group and didn't get in.

My system was imperfect in that it took set amounts from conferences like ACC each year, but I always made at least 1 spot available for each conference to make sure there was at least a pathway to the big dance.  Any chance you could look at this?

I should point out, I like the groups, because I think that's a good way to replicate the exhibition season etc...but maybe it probably shouldn't feed directly into the NCAA without some input from the conferences?  Work in tandem or split?

The NCAA tournament is tough to figure out, but in real life ONLY the conference tournament champions get automatic berths except for the three conferences that do not have a post-season tournament. So winning the conference regular season doesn't necessarily mean you get in. I've tried a lot of different things to get the at-large sorted. I've used highest reputations, but sometimes High-rep teams don't deserve bids based on performance.

I've also tried having the results from conference play processed into the non-conference groups but that fails verification because then the teams in the group have different numbers of total games. For example, Virginia plays 9 ACC games +10 non conference games for 19 total. Akron plays 5 MAC games +10 non conference for 15 total. The editor won't verify the rules because they have different numbers of matches. If someone knows how to work around that, I think that's best way to do it. There is nothing in the "Stage Flags" drop down that helps that and I don't see anything else that can be done.

Edited by Uncle_Sam

Uncle_Sam

Thank you for all of the hard work that you've put into this file set.   I really wish that SI would make this a part of the game so you wouldn't have to endure creating it from scratch, but I'm very happy that you put such dedication into creating the actual U.S. Pyramid.  Thank you again & keep up the good work!

22 saat önce, Uncle_Sam said:

UPDATE:  I have uploaded a new version of the file (2.3)

FIXES -

MLS Expansion International Slots (Inter Miami and Nashville SC) - This was the biggest ifix. Now they will have the 8 they are supposed to have by default. I had actually fixed this in an earlier version of the file but for some reason, I didn't have the fix in for the release. But it is now. I had to get creative for that (as well as many other things), but it works properly now.

NPSL Northeast Region - The playoffs were not selecting the correct teams. That is fixed as far as I can tell.

I was already start my save with nashville, so theres 0 slot or ?

3 hours ago, Uncle_Sam said:

Added the version of the file to the OP, good suggestion. Thank you.

So the CPL draft draws from the Canadian U Sports college league. I could try and put it in, but I would need someone to create for me the U Sports raw data. That means each conference and team needs to be created. From what I could gather, there are four "conferences" and a total of 56 or so teams.

If this is too hard to do I am ok with settling for say CPL u18 league to develop the youth intake instead since that is way easier to do then a draft and creating all of those leagues and teams

• SI Staff
40 minutes ago, Fmfan00 said:

If this is too hard to do I am ok with settling for say CPL u18 league to develop the youth intake instead since that is way easier to do then a draft and creating all of those leagues and teams

There used to be a Canadian University file floating around a few years ago...not sure if you can find it or what could be imported.

• SI Staff

Doesn't look like USL D2 is populating players, or taking from NCAA, so no issue there.  The USL expansion sides, plus all of the NPSL Pro are draining NCAA significantly though.

Looks like the non-MLS DA sides only generate about 3 players a year, no matter how many they lose.  I'm doing some other testing right now

Whether active or not, DA teams populate 10 players at start up.

15 minutes ago, Aljarov said:

Looks like the non-MLS DA sides only generate about 3 players a year, no matter how many they lose.  I'm doing some other testing right now

That's one I'm sure I would be able to sort. The newgen process is hard-coded i for the USA in FM.

My only GUESS is that most of the USSDA clubs have zeroes in all of the Youth categories by default. I could try setting their values and seeing how that goes. But my feeling is that if that was really affecting it, then the Academies wouldn't get any newgens at all.

• SI Staff

IIRC, the balance in the newgen creation is supposed to support the long term progression through to the MLS SuperDraft.  That through about 100 PDL teams in the game out the box.  With 209 NCAA teams, those same players are getting stretched too thin I think.