My player can't score

Hey,

I am playing with Valencia, I am at the beginning of the second season and I have issues with scoring goals.

My tactic works great ( finished 2nd place previous season) but my players just can't score.

My team has a lot of great opportunities and cut clear chances to score but they always miss. 

For example, last season Rodrigo was my top goalscorer but he scored only 13 goals(!) in 40 appereances.

Can anyone give me some tips to deal with this issue?

thanks

I had the same problem in my second season with Liverpool. Fabinho was my top scorer with 14 goals! Still won the league somehow though. Only a few games into my next season but I've changed tactics over the summer and it seems to be a lot more productive for my strikers so far.

12 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

They score for fun in a direct 442. Different story with a more patient, possession-based lone striker system.

"Lone striker" is most likely a problem. Here are stats of my main strikers (~2/3 of the season passed):

str.thumb.png.9df416da4a70c4e250a707df4bb5bf3a.png

One score more, another assist more, averagely it's a good synergy.

Edit: rotation strikers scored 10 and 7 respectively, so it's 47 goals of 94 scored by the team. Exactly 50% which is a very good percentage.

1 minute ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

"Lone striker" is most likely a problem. Here are stats of my main strikers (~2/3 of the season passed):

str.thumb.png.9df416da4a70c4e250a707df4bb5bf3a.png

One score more, another assist more, averagely it's a good synergy.

Yep, similar numbers to what I've been consistently hitting. I experimented with a more patient 4231 as I got bored of winning ugly. The result? Sacked.

1 minute ago, rdbayly said:

Yep, similar numbers to what I've been consistently hitting. I experimented with a more patient 4231 as I got bored of winning ugly. The result? Sacked.

Those numbers are for patient 4-1DM-3MC-2 too.

8 minutes ago, alexalexalex said:

Thank you all for your reply.

I am not sure the tactic is the issue here, because during a match my team gets a lot of great chances to score but the players missing the target, maybe it's related to shooting training?

Your strikers may be on the goal drought. It usually expires after 10-15 hours of goalless playtime.

Goal droughts in general should be reasonably common in-game and not be influenced by anything else but random chance.

If FM takes finishing studies into account, the very best chances are roughly 50/50 affairs under the hood. That's basically a coin toss on every such chance (weighted a bit taking attributes, motivation, etc. into account). The average will be far worse, plus your forward will typically have 2-3+ attempts per match (this is being displayed in his profile). That's probably one of the reasons why you don't see much of the actual crazy stuff that on occasion happens in football (Cr7 last term barely hitting a barn's door for four months plus running -- at 7 attempts per match average, up to a dozen misses per match). Mathematically, and an computer code is purely Maths, there may be a probabaility of that happening. However it's incredibly low. This low in fact, that I've yet anybody seen reporting this on any release. And there should be, given that the real football world but exists once; whereas FM's game world "exists" as many times as there are players of any release; and is being restarted with every new save anew.

There seems to be an issues with forward movement as of now, so may impact things a little. However, never, ever underestimate random chance, whether in-game, or in football. The human brain is very very good at spotting patterns where none exist; plus it is human nature to find an explanation and clear cut cause to everything. [This is also the reason why bookmakers tend to quote more recent win-draw-lose records they want their customers to consider; as football is a sports settled in but a few seconds off 90 minutes, matches on competitive levels tend to be close affairs in general; and the average winning margin is but +1 or +2 points, er goals, any of such recent run can be very little more but chance).

34 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

In this ME only 4-4-2 formation and direct passing will work.. you just cant play possession football and slow tempo game and create chances to your striker 

Untrue. Greedy 4-1-3-2 and strikers score about 50% of team goals.

7 hours ago, GOODNAME said:

In this ME only 4-4-2 formation and direct passing will work.. you just cant play possession football and slow tempo game and create chances to your striker 

My 4231 works well. ­±65% possession and won the league the previous year to get promotion. This season, 3rd with the same setup, but in a higher division. Top scorer AML, with the striker 2nd, last season and the current one.

if you have seen all the youtube FM series and following them, you will realise even in their games the top scorer for most major league barely hit 20 goals. in 1 of the FM videos I saw Harry Kane was EPL top scorer with 17 goals.

says it all about the current problem in the ME.

You do see low goal counts for strikers in the top leagues, I'm managing Bayern & had a look over at the Prem & at one point Callum Wilson was the top scorer with 13 & this was around January

Over in Germany though, Lewandowski has 36 in total,  he's on 24 in the league, Timo Werner's the top goalscorer on 26, with one league game left.

Big Rob's got 36% of my team's goals. Rashford (who I've got on loan) has 10, Muller 12, Gnabry, Comon, Traore probably have another 15 between them with a few more from the deeper players, seems a good enough spread to me 

I play balanced with a lower LOE & my front 3 get plenty of service    

Lautuaro martinez is banging them in for me at the moment in a 4231 formation, but i have had some problems with strikers scoring and hitting really poor patches, gone are the days of easy 50 goal a season top strikers from previous fm's, still possiable thou just alot rarer.

1 hour ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Lautuaro martinez is banging them in for me at the moment in a 4231 formation, but i have had some problems with strikers scoring and hitting really poor patches, gone are the days of easy 50 goal a season top strikers from previous fm's, still possiable thou just alot rarer.

They're not gone:

striker_stats.thumb.png.6a539d9d443c18d116530a8c932b7ab6.png

Problems are most likely with tactics and players. Strikers with huge transfer value and/or big finishing/dribbling numbers are not the best strikers. For example, my main pair of strikers have finishing 10 and 11 (EPL level), but they're very consistent and mentally strong. I'd say they're about 140CA, but they play much better than some 100M ones.

One of them:

jeppe.thumb.png.ba4693da71990ae42f129be1f57c847b.png

Stats are from half-season. He was only M/R when I signed him. Note role/position color at the striker position (the main role in tactics is CF/Support, the alternate is PF/Support).

1 hour ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

They're not gone:

striker_stats.thumb.png.6a539d9d443c18d116530a8c932b7ab6.png

Problems are most likely with tactics and players. Strikers with huge transfer value and/or big finishing/dribbling numbers are not the best strikers. For example, my main pair of strikers have finishing 10 and 11 (EPL level), but they're very consistent and mentally strong. I'd say they're about 140CA, but they play much better than some 100M ones.

One of them:

jeppe.thumb.png.ba4693da71990ae42f129be1f57c847b.png

Stats are from half-season. He was only M/R when I signed him. Note role/position color at the striker position (the main role in tactics is CF/Support, the alternate is PF/Support).

I know they still happen heres Alvaro Morata scoring alot, and i wouldnt say he has anything amazing about his finshing stats, just said its alot rarer.

Screenshot-7.png

Cavani scoring 50 in the French League doesnt really provide anything substantial for obvious reasons.

4 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

I know they still happen heres Alvaro Morata scoring alot, and i wouldnt say he has anything amazing about his finshing stats, just said its alot rarer.

But Morata has quite good CA/PA/attributes/value. Chelsea bought him for 64M, I bought that kid for 2M in installments and he scores about 60% of Morata goals in a team with much lower total/average value.

7 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Cavani scoring 50 in the French League doesnt really provide anything substantial for obvious reasons. 

Yep. No competition in Ligue 1. Just wanted to show that the number of goals isn't artificially limited by evil SI.

Archived