Is it really that hard to score a normal goal?

This games slowly starting to annoy me now.

Strikers cant score for shirt, and no tactic works consistently.I've tried 442, 4231, 433, etc. I can win one week, then get battered the next. I say win, I score from a freekick, or corner because Keane and Torres cant even beat a keeper one on one.

I know it should be easy to win every game, but come on...

Apparently everyone bangs on about realism around here, and that aint realistic. Oh, and as for injuries, lower them please.

Thats all really. Rest of the game I'm quite happy with.

I can win one week, then get battered the next.

That seems perfectly realistic to me. Surely you can expect to win every game or didn't you see the Liverpool v Spurs game at the weekend?

I score plenty of "normal" goals. Here's the thing - the game doesn't play the same for everyone! Some will score from set pieces and not otherwise like you, for others it'll be the exact opposite and for some it'll be a mixture.

Why though? I've tried countless tactics and setups, yet I get the odd set piece goal, and the 30 yarder. I automatically know Torres is just going to kick it at the keeper with a decent chance.

Every goal is different for me - far more varied than previous FM games.

My own experience is that sticking with the one basic tactic and making a small change here and there pays dividends.

Can I ask, is this all in one save game? I'm just wondering if it's a confidence issue and some of your players have got stuck in a rut regardless of your tactics.

My own experience is that sticking with the one basic tactic and making a small change here and there pays dividends.

Can I ask, is this all in one save game? I'm just wondering if it's a confidence issue and some of your players have got stuck in a rut regardless of your tactics.

I am 5 games in to the EPL season (FM09 Demo) and I'm Man Utd. I have the most expensive attack in the world at my fingertips and I have drawn all 5 games 0-0. Surely that isn't right. I have tweaked here are there using the same tactic (4-3-3 standard) and still no luck. I also agree with far too many injuries. I really hope when the game comes out that it doesnt have all these bugs or i'll be very disappointed!

Just my sixpence....

Nah mate. Three games with Liverpool, and one Man City game. Both games the strikers play like amateurs.

Nah mate. Three games with Liverpool, and one Man City game. Both games the strikers play like amateurs.

The only comparable situation I have is Defoe going through a scoring drought. The keeper kept pumping high balls up to him (something I think happens too much when Crouch is set as target man) and I am convinced this affected his match rating, which in turn affected his confidence and therefore his shooting. I basically told him how marvellous he was and how much faith I had in him until he started scoring again.

Much as I hate to admit it, I've basically gone for the Harry Redknapp approach.

The only comparable situation I have is Defoe going through a scoring drought. The keeper kept pumping high balls up to him (something I think happens too much when Crouch is set as target man) and I am convinced this affected his match rating, which in turn affected his confidence and therefore his shooting. I basically told him how marvellous he was and how much faith I had in him until he started scoring again.

Much as I hate to admit it, I've basically gone for the Harry Redknapp approach.

Is there anyway you can upload your tactic so I can have a try and see what I am doing wrong? Rapidshare it or something.

Just played my first game in FM09 and guess what?

Yes I scored one of alanrico's normal goals. A stunning right foot strike from the edge of the area by Sammy Igoe.

Ok, so it wasn't the striker, but in past FMs I've always found it very unrealistic that strikers score all, or most of, the goals. Have you ever had someone other than a striker score regular goals in FM? I haven't.

So if the trend becomes that strikers score goals, but midfielders and defenders bag enough of their own them I'll be happy.

Confidence, tactics and man-management will have a lot to do with it. I'm not the tactical man really, but I will say that boosting the confidence of a striker will improve his performances seriously.

I think training is a big issue. My pre season with Chelski was 1-1, 1-0 win, 2-1 defeat, 0-0, 0-0. Then I set training for individual positions (Def, Mid-Def, Mid-Att, & St). My next friendlies were 6-0 win and a 4-1 win (the last one against Milan). First game of the season away at Man Yoo, a 3-0 win.

Most goals from open play, too. There's no problem with scoring goals in this game, you just need to look at all the aspects of it, not just your tactics.

Is there anyway you can upload your tactic so I can have a try and see what I am doing wrong? Rapidshare it or something.

I'm not sure it would be much use to you - it's very much setup for the big man/small man combination at Pompey and then hope that the midfielders pick up the threads when the move breaks down - have to playt that way when all your central mids are defensive mids. I would probably play totally differently with Liverpool or Man City.

I've scored "normal" goals, by strikers, midfielders, and a nice one by my right back who had pushed up. Just like in previous versions, I've made tactical adjustments even through just 5 or 6 games and it always helps to listen to your asst. manager's feedback. The injuries bug is known and they are going to address it, but in the meantime, you can lower the intensity of your training and that should help.

lol

i score all types of goals... but mostly normal ones... try using a more chalenging team... then you'll be happy with every goal... like i was when i defeated celtic by 1-0 in the 95th minute... considering i was managing montrose...(if you dont know this team then try searching in scottland's 3rd division...)

yeah... thats right... i beat celtic with a 3rd division team!!!

i've been braggin' about it all day...

This games slowly starting to annoy me now.

Strikers cant score for shirt, and no tactic works consistently.I've tried 442, 4231, 433, etc. I can win one week, then get battered the next. I say win, I score from a freekick, or corner because Keane and Torres cant even beat a keeper one on one.

I know it should be easy to win every game, but come on...

Apparently everyone bangs on about realism around here, and that aint realistic. Oh, and as for injuries, lower them please.

Thats all really. Rest of the game I'm quite happy with.

mate the game is realistic then it is hrad in reallife to win your not scoring maybe because torres and keane might not have good compsure or your not planinng your tactics out right ect do you attack teams.and what do you tell the players to do.

I reckon Jo from Man City is scared not to hit the Keeper when one on one in my game....I've really lost count of how many he's missed.

i went city i used a 3 1 4 2

i had hart

richards dunne be heim

veloso

wright phillips rikemie(sp) diarra simeo a great team at the end of the demo i was 6th

arshavin robinho

my two strikers knew how to put the ball in the net i played arshavin as the player maker dropping deep.

Just found out how to do a save match so you can now watch my side score.

Tactics used are based on my FM08 tactics (Oxford from BSP to EPL Title in 6 seasons) and subject to further testing should be available soon for FM09.

Match stats and link to match

chelseavrangersxo5.png

w1436.png

http://files.filefront.com/Chelsea+v+Rangerspkm/;12295554;/fileinfo.html

Archived