Mo Salah, In hot water after being made honorary citizen of Chechnya

SteveUK

https://news.sky.com/story/mo-salah-given-honorary-citizenship-by-chechen-leader-11414909

Liverpool's Egyptian forward Mohamed Salah has been granted honorary citizenship of Chechnya by its leader Ramzan Kadyrov at a farewell banquet for the eliminated World Cup side.

Egypt's squad have been training in the Russian republic's capital, Grozny, during the World Cup.

Mr Kadyrov handed Salah a decree declaring him a citizen and pinned a badge on his chest at a dinner in honour of the Egypt team, ahead of their departure for Volgograd where they will play Saudi Arabia in their final group match.

"Mohamed Salah thanked us for the surprisingly warm and good reception, excellent attitude to the team, excellent living conditions and training," Mr Kadyrov posted on Russian social network site VK.

In his social media post, Mr Kadyrov said he wants Egypt to return to Chechnya after the World Cup for a friendly against local club Akhmat Grozny - named after his father, who was assassinated in 2004.

Mr Kadyrov is backed by the Kremlin but is under sanctions imposed by the US, which accuses him of contravening human rights. His rule has been marred by reports of extrajudicial killings and torture

He recently came under pressure when reports surfaced of a broad crackdown on homosexual people.

The Egyptian Football Association posted pictures of the dinner, including shots of Salah sitting next to Mr Kadyrov, on its Twitter page.

Salah, 26, has been urged to explain the situation by Liverpool fan group Kop Outs, which represents the LGBT community, and LGBT fan group alliance Pride In Football.

They issued a joint statement that read: "We utterly condemn the acceptance by Mo Salah of any honour from Ramzan Kadyrov's Chechnya."

The statement added: "Mo and all players have a responsibility to uphold human rights and should set standards of behaviour. We ask him to return the honorary citizenship as an acknowledgement of the persecution of LGBT+ people in Chechnya."

A liverpool supporting friend linked to this 

Not sure how much truth there is in it, but Salah is apparently being gaslighted/exhorted by the Egyptian authorities for their own political ends hence the fun and games in Chechnya.

http://www.empireofthekop.com/2018/06/24/why-salahs-agent-is-fuming-on-twitter-why-mo-has-chechnya-citizenship/

If Liverpool fans can find ways to defend Suarez for biting and being a big fat racist I'm sure they'll have no trouble forgiving Salah for siding with a tyrant and alleged murderer like Kadyrov....

(*safety wink*)

10 minutes ago, Weezer said:

If Liverpool fans can find ways to defend Suarez for biting and being a big fat racist I'm sure they'll have no trouble forgiving Salah for siding with a tyrant and alleged murderer like Kadyrov....

(*safety wink*)

Seems like he's kinda been coerced into it. Hope he quits the NT at the first opportunity if they keep trying to manipulate his fame like this.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Seems like he's kinda been coerced into it. Hope he quits the NT at the first opportunity if they keep trying to manipulate his fame like this.

If he quits, then the day afterwards, dozens of his closest relatives will be arrested in Egypt on terrorism charges. The problem for the Egyptian authorities is he's too popular both in Egypt and worldwide and they are trying to cut him down to size as they see him as a threat to their power (he got 1 million write-in votes in the rather undemocratic Egyptian elections). I can imagine this backfiring on the Egyptian authorities to some extent if it but becomes alleged openly that they sabotaged Egypt's WC bid as they were Jealous of Salah. I say 'to some extent' because unlike Mubarak, they are prepared to kill an infinite amount of their own citizens to remain in power.

5 minutes ago, decapitated said:

If he quits, then the day afterwards, dozens of his closest relatives will be arrested in Egypt on terrorism charges. The problem for the Egyptian authorities is he's too popular both in Egypt and worldwide and they are trying to cut him down to size as they see him as a threat to their power (he got 1 million write-in votes in the rather undemocratic Egyptian elections). I can imagine this backfiring on the Egyptian authorities to some extent if it but becomes alleged openly that they sabotaged Egypt's WC bid as they were Jealous of Salah. I say 'to some extent' because unlike Mubarak, they are prepared to kill an infinite amount of their own citizens to remain in power.

Unless Salah can get his family out of Egypt anyway (and hopefully he does). At this rate the Egyptian government will be their own downfall.

15 hours ago, decapitated said:

If that happens, FIFA would suspend Egypt from all competitions in a heartbeat.

4 hours ago, RubenJ said:

If that happens, FIFA would suspend Egypt from all competitions in a heartbeat.

The same FIFA that gave a World Cup to Qatar? I mean, if this happens (and I really hope it doesn’t) I hope they do but it’s FIFA. You can’t trust them to do Anything even remotely sensible 

Archived