A positive demo thread

I like the demo a lot as well, press conferences are great and I like the ass manager's new influence and his comments in the matches. I love all the little extras in the game as well like lots of new and different stats and facts such as the extreme players of the league, i.e. heaviest, shortest, tallest etc and detail of the match reports and league roundups are good.

Once the games is out and the improvements are made the game will seem much better, this is a demo after all so it's bound to be buggy. However I do like some of the new features though I feel they need to have a little more impact and less cosmetic value.

I'm liking the demo too. The transfer system seems better now, I'm actually negotiating with the AI for players, and players for a decent realistic price. Also like the assistant manager feedback too, very useful. It's only the frequent injury problem that I've got any complaints over, but that's not for this thread!

I've still been playing FM07, so please read this post keeping in mind that I've never tried 08.

Trying out the demo, I find it fantastic. The text is a little harder to read at times, but this is something I may have to get used to. I still prefer the dark green grass background, but whatever. Big improvements in saving and loading times make it a very serious buy consideration.

I haven't had ANY of the bugs and issues that other posters here have found. No text bug, no injury problems, no crashing/stalling, etc. I was hesitant on posting this on the forum, because it seems that everyone is ready to put SI's heads on spikes, and not willing to listen to positive feedback. So here it is: I'm really happy with 09. Great work SI. You may not feel the love on this board, but know that there are many other demo users who are completely satisfied. They are just not making their voices heard because they feel happy enough with what they see that they don't feel the need to post here.

Now the 3D is far from fantastic, but I do think it's a pretty good first version, and a good foundation for the future. The animations are sometimes lacking: players are clipping with the signs, players are "moonwalking" (walking, but not moving), the coordination between the ball and the players is not always there, goaltenders sometimes throw themselves unnecessarily to the ball. But I've also seen this in other video games, so it's par for the course, even if it kills the immersion a little bit. The graphics are no FIFA 09 or anything like that, but it's a definite step up from the 2D, and I'll be looking forward to future versions - attendance + stadium-specific graphics would be awesome, not to mention more realistic sounds (chanting, greater sensitivity of crowd noise with events on the field, etc.).

The tactics engine seems pretty good so far - I like the fact that we can no longer tell on screen whether the opposing team is using long farrows, short farrows, or no arrows. It's much more realistic for the player not to know before the game whether the opposing team will come out with a defensive or offensive mentality.

No complaints about the transfer system, the press conferences, or anything else. Overall very happy.

I love this demo. I think the game has evolved beautifully from last year's version. I love how we get more feedback of inner-workings of game now through Assistant Manager and through the feedback we get after press conferences. The only problem I had was injuries at first but then they happened much less after first few fixtures. Had one random crash but reloaded game and worked fine. Also, I have a cheap laptop I bought this summer ($430) and it runs 3D beautifully. I forgot to say that transfer system being fixed was the main thing I lookign forward to in this game and it is way way way better than before. Inflation may still take hold in future seasons if finances are not done correctly but from what can be seen in one transfer window, it looks fixed.

Agree that this game is awesome!!Match engine works perfect and now seems that players take into account what you instruct them to do!Assistant manager feedback is very helpfull and press conferences are very intresting!

Am very happy with the demo so far and am totally confident for the full game since there will be a patch that will fix some minor problems the day of the official realease!!

Cheers at SI and keep up the good work!

I really like the engine, and I'm also finding that the player recommendations from the assistant manager open my eyes to players I wouldn't have looked at ordinarily.

This FM09, it's a grower...

I tottally agree about the assistants recomended players, I am loving this demo already and ive only played 4 games:D

awesome fun. im totally hooked. apart from the injuries the game seems very bug free. 3d is great, a few minor glitches but i expected that and im sure it will get fixed. massive leap forward from 2008 in my opinion with lots of improvements across the whole game. cant wait to get the full version.

Hi

I have now played 5 pre-season matches and thought before I start to get into the real season I would post my 10pennance worth:

Pros:

*Transfer system apppears better. Transfer prices are lower than they were in FM08.

*Press conference - longer and better with options to curtail the interview

*Like the option to see how the players are doing in-game re complacent/at fault for first goal etc

*3d Match engine - I like it. It's preferable to 2d for me, adds a new dimension and I feel gives a better atmosphere than the old 2d.

Cons:

*Injury bug can be annoying though I rotated my players and have only had 2 injuries in matches I played one bad one. Though I have lost players who are in international matches.

*In 3D full match mode the screen freezes sometimes when I am switching tactics or jumping screens. Kicks in after a few minutes play but you can miss stuff. I had a goal scored

against me when the 3d game froze.

*Pre-set tactics do not appear to be that good

So far no crashes for me and the game runs smoothly.

I also keep discovering stuff that adds some nice touches like the ability to get reports on all of a players positions. Like the new PR player comments and still discovering stuff. Not yet in a position to comment on how the actual ME plays but appears to be good in 3D. Would be nice to be able to create a decent tactic but game hard on pre-set tactics so challenge has got greater.

So I think FM09 is looking good.

Pre-set tactics have never been any cop.

One of my REAL annoyances in recent games was that telling players to play 4-4-2 and setting them to their right positions (i.e. right backs playing as a right back at right back) would often see you absolutely hammered every week.

As with every new version, this one will take a long time to get used to and no doubt anyone who doesn't just dive in as Real Madrid of Man U is going to struggle at first. I've played five pre-season games so far and haven't scored or even had a shot on target. It's frustrating, but no doubt eventually I'll stumble across something that works.

As long as the 4-2-4 issue is gone, I'll be much happier.

Well i can't even get the game to load at the moment. I know i need a new graphics card, so i'm a bit envious at the mo. But i'm going to stick with the game because i know that, however much i'm frustrated, however much i think about going to play another game (fifa manager) I know that there isn't a better game out there than fm08/09. So all i can do is be patient and wait to see if si can work around the issue of the game not loading up even to play 2d or until i get a new graphics card. I'm determined not to moan about it anymore!!!!

my only problem with the game is that i'm doing really badly at it.

i've had a few injuries but not a huge amount. it's just the inopportunity of them in terms of the start of season, and who they've happened to which has really flipped me up. But hey, i don't care. this is only the demo, i'll be starting anew as soon as i can get my hands on a patched copy of the real thing, and also I'm getting a new laptop at the weekend, so the 3d will (should) run even better than it does now.

Hi, im new to the forums and just thought i'd give a thumbs up to SI, the previous football managers always took me some time to get into them and even after months and months of playing im still rubbish :( ,

this one bar the few niggly bugs, i wont name them because im bored of ppl posting the same posts all the time, "sigh", i must say this one draws you in a little deeper and you feel more involved with the squad,

and plus all the graphics from 2008 work with the demo, Bonus :) , so thanks Si and cant wait till the 14th!

so glad i've finally seen a positive thread.

To be honest, I think there are a few things which need tweaking on the 3d match engine etc, but surely that’s to be expected, this is the first attempt after all. if people would stop slagging it and start providing decent criticism, then it will be the basis for improvement. In a couple of years, I believe that this 3d system will be superb, I’m glad they’ve introduced it this year because its got the potential to be fantastic!

Wicked effort miles and co!

Overall I really like the demo (so far).

Yes the 3D can be jerky but not bad for the first year attempted and I guess with the amount of calculating the game does it probably needs to pause to catch up with its self. Remeber CM/FM was never about pretty graphics it is about realism and the 3D was only ever going to be from a tactical point of view.

The injuries are a little diappointing because if I remeber it happened on a previous patch too. If a patch is released on the the day of game release then so what. Remeber the demo is free!

I think overall the demo seems an improvment on FM08, so i'm happy :)

I need a little longer than 6 months to look at the training properly and to get some good tactics. Do think there may be an issue with the closing down though but I reserve judgement for now.

i like it too, sure its not as much as a revolution from 08 as was hyped, but in comparison to 08 it is imo a definite improvement. admittedly i cannot play 3d due to graphics card constraints but i was happy with 2d and what youve never had, you'll never miss so the saying goes. ive not had any of the crashing yet (touch wood) and the ttyyppiinngg thing is more of an annoyance than a massive issue for me, as for injuries ive not had any but the ai teams seem to have suffered. if both of these are sorted in the release day patch - which i am going to download, cant see the point in not tbh - then i will be more than happy. well done si - maybe a tad over-hyped - but you get my 23.99 - see you in 12 months :)

I hope people see this as a postive post on the demo as I am very much enjoying it however it is quite ballanced view on the game from my experience.

Hey everyone. I know it’s like a broken record but I actually have been a Football Manager/Championship Manager player since the very beginning. I still remember Paul Kitson being a genius, Tommy Johnson being world class and Marcelo Salas… Don’t get me started on this F R. I wanted to have his babies!

Anyway I used to be a hardcore player and would regularly play season after season, however, as I got older I’ve been unable to dedicate as much time to the game however I still buy it every year on release date and play it as often as I can. I love the game and appreciate the good work SI put into it. I also appreciate these forums and how SI interact with there fanbase. I think this is very refreshing.

Anyway despite all of the above I’m not a fan boy and would like to think I can give a balanced opinion on the game for those who’ve not yet played the demo and are looking for some thoughts on it.

I’ll give you a background as to what I’ve done on the demo so far…

Saturday night I started a game as Celtic, my favourite team, before a ball had been kicked in pre-season three of my star players – Boruc, Nakamura and Samaras – had all been ruled out between 4 and 8 weeks. I switched off the demo due to tiredness and injuries after watching one friendly in the 3D mode.

On Sunday I started a game as Man City, mainly because of a large budget and I was keen to see the new transfer system, I signed a lot of players and my results have been okay but nothing great and I currently sit 8th in the Premiership in the middle of October. None of my players has scored more than two in the league, I got put out the UEFA Cup by some Israeli mob I’d never heard of, Santa Cruz was purchased for £25m and got injured for 5 months and Robinho hates my guts. Apart from that all is going well!!

Anyway here is my positives and negatives:

Positives:

- Press conferences: I really like these. Some of the choices you have to chose from when responding to questions need another look at but overall I can see real potential in this. The free text box is great as well as although only a cosmetic feature it does add some realism to the game and makes you feel more involved.

- Match engine: In 2008 I think there was just too many goals and the whole match experience felt very volatile to me. Already in 2009 I think my results and the flow of my matches seems a lot more realistic. Maybe it’s just my tactics but that’s my experience anyway.

- Assistant Manager feedback: As I stated in my intro I’m struggling to find time to play Football Manager so when I do I normally play on text only and that made it difficult to see where my tactics were going wrong. The Assistant Manager feedback gives a lot of useful information I wouldn’t have seen without spending some time watching the matches in 2D or 3D.

Negatives:

- 3D/Graphics: I actually think the 3D engine is quite good, for what it is, however I have no desire to use it, due mainly to time, and feel like it’s effecting the flow of the game for myself. For example I turn off 3D and play away and the match goes quick through the first half but then when I go to make a sub I get it hanging on ‘Setting up match’ for about 25 seconds. This is quite annoying to me.

- Lack of highlight speed slider: Since 2D came in I’ve watched on commentary only with the match speed slider up the top and the highlight speed in the middle and replayed on for goals only. That way I watched in text and got to see replays of goals on 2D. I enjoyed this set up but now I’m watching only commentary cause when the replays come up cause I have the speed up top the players go to quick in the replay so it’s barely worth watching.

- Transfer system: I don’t know if this should be in positives or negatives. FM09’s system is a slight improvement over FM08, however, I think we all agree it’s not really a realistic representation of the transfer system in real life. I think this area of the game need a total overhaul however it’s still more than playable I just expected a bigger improvement than we got.

- Injuries: In my Man City game so far I’ve not experienced anything too unrealistic by the way of injuries however given the sheer scale of complaints on here about this and my brief experience with the Celtic game I think there’s a problem here.

Overall I’m very much enjoying the demo after having some reservations at first. It’s growing on me and I’m looking forward to getting the full release. I hope anyone from SI who reads this takes it for what it is intended to be – constructive feedback from a long time player of the game and maybe takes on a couple of points I’ve made.

I would especially hope they see my point about being a long time player of the game who is desperate to keep playing the game but feel this release is a step back in terms of giving me the chance to play the game on my terms as I'm sure there's many like me who love the game but have had to accept we no longer have the time to lead St Albans to the Premiership and are just looking for a quick fix of Football Manager.

Like I said I hope people view this as a postive post and I would ask anyone who hasn't already downloaded the demo to do so with an open mind and give the game a chance.

It may not be for everyone but I'm sure there's plenty of people who will really enjoy it.

i like it too, sure its not as much as a revolution from 08 as was hyped, but in comparison to 08 it is imo a definite improvement. admittedly i cannot play 3d due to graphics card constraints but i was happy with 2d and what youve never had, you'll never miss so the saying goes. ive not had any of the crashing yet (touch wood) and the ttyyppiinngg thing is more of an annoyance than a massive issue for me, as for injuries ive not had any but the ai teams seem to have suffered. if both of these are sorted in the release day patch - which i am going to download, cant see the point in not tbh - then i will be more than happy. well done si - maybe a tad over-hyped - but you get my 23.99 - see you in 12 months :)

How did you get to play in just 2d mode. The game won't even start up for me!!

Great game, the only negative is that the interface seems to have lost a bit of responsiveness, with a patch this is going to be by far the best version ever released.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the game and I expect it to be as engrossing as ever. I congratulate SI for their hard work on a great series.

As a side note, I think it's very difficult to assess the impact of some of the changes in a demo. For example, there's been a lot of talk about the transfer system not having changed much, or having changed for the worse etc, but I think this sort of a statement can only be made over a period of seasons rather than months.

How did you get to play in just 2d mode. The game won't even start up for me!!

dont know mate - i just loaded it up and it plays but during the game the button at the bottom of the screen to change to 3d is "greyed out" and i cant select it - sorry i cant be of much more help but the game definitely works fine 2d only for me

I'm really liking the demo. I too, got the ttyyppiinngg buuugg, but besides that, I love the 3D view of the game.

It had been a long time since I actually looked at highlights and now I'm even watching parts of the full match. At least for me: great job SI.

I LOVE this game and I will be buying it. :D The injuries are irritating as hell but an editor was released yesterday so you can uninjure your players :). BTW, thanks Ruci. ;) Transfers are improved, LOVE the press conferences, 3D and so on. GREAT improvement from 08.

Definetly impressed with the demo. Granted, my mac can't display the 3D, but I'll be sticking to the 2D anyway for overview purposes. And there are some injuries, I keep getting ridiculous transfer offers, but these are all bugs SI'll fix like they've shown in previous years.

When taking a look at all the minor and major improvements, I must say they're great. Just small things like in-game resolution changing, more realistic transfer fees, greater number of staff allowed, etc. I can say I'd buy this game and recommend it to my friends!

Having played several hours on the demo with different qualities of team I think on the whole it has the potential to an absolutely fantastic game.

The 3D does has a few hang ups but that was to be expected, on the positive side of things it does put your formation into perspective and you can see where you are yielding far much space for the opposition teams and vice versa

On the down side there are way to many long range goals especially from long balls where the striker will race past the defence then shoot from outside of the box instead of attempting to go one one with the keeper inside. Also long shot goals in general are just to common place for me - but if this gets tweaked then it will be fantastic.

The viewing of 3d between the different modes i.e Full Game, Extended and Key seems to be way out of proportion, this is the first time I have ever had to use Key to watch the game as extended takes an age for a match to complete, infact both KEY and Extended show far too much in my opinion - again once sorted it will be good again

One more positive is that you can really see the divide in class between the varying levels i.e Blues Square non league and premiership etc etc, again it needs a little tweaking - but I really enjoy this especially as I prefer playing from lower league manager perspective.

The Transfer system is improved but youth players seem to be over priced from what I have seen so far - but this might adjust itself once the game is running a few seasons perhaps ?

Absolutely love the press conferences - 2nd only to the 3d for me that one :D

I'm really enjoying the demo. Not had any injuries so far either???????????

The conditioning problem is the biggest downside but I giess that'll be really easy to put right.

Press conferences are interesting and 3d is reasonable too. Not sure whether I'll use 3d all the time though.

One good thing is I can get decent players to come and play in League 1.

It's great to see this thread, I was starting to feel really down reading all of the others.

Yes the game has a few flaws, injuries, type errrrrors and a 3d engine that isn't perfect.

Personally speaking I was against 3d engines in football management games, but if anyone can make it work, these guys will. If they get it wrong, they will lose countless managers as they revert to fm2008 update packs etc.

I remember when CM3 and 4 came out and they were awful, I almost binned CM3. Patches always sort the big problems out and if you can't wait, get that extra season in on 08, I'll be playing the demo of 09 though

Archived