FM09 Demo - injuries

I have tried to defend the whole 'injury' issue, but even now I am getting pi**ed off.

I seriously hope that SI release the injury patch on time AND it works. I have run out of patience with the demo and uninstalled the bloody thing. In my last game I was managing Liverpool, and even rested my first team players until the CL 3rd rnd Q, then, hey-presto I lose FIVE players to injury in the 1st leg (Gerrard- broken ankle, Tores- torn hamstring and Carragher-cruciate ligaments among them). Then in my next game v West Ham I lose Kuyt, Keane, Babel and Hyppia- all to long term injuries.

I cannot believe that this bug got past anyone before the demo release. I might just wait until after the patch and see the reaction as I am reluctant to throw £30 away on something that may not work right.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply
azaking has a point. PaulC addressed this ages ago. It's a flaw. It's only a demo. It'll be patched in time for release. There is no need to continue pressing the point.

How he can be called a fanboy for stating the obvious is merely testament to your own idiocy. Kindly get over yourself.

I can't decided on which side i'm on :) on one hand its frustrating to have an unplayable demo which therefore means we will have an unplayable game. Although a patch will be out to fix it eventually, there has been no communication from SI on a release date (at least not that I know of, if you can prove me wrong PLEASE do). So basically we don't know if we can play the game in a couple of days or months. Having payed for the game already I understand why some people are realled ****ed off.

On the other hand i've been playing this game since CM2 in 1995 and the end product has always been great (although I always got it a month or so after release and never pre-ordered it like this year). So basically i'm putting a little fate on the guys that have been making this game that their great work will be repeated in this year's edition. I think there has been far too much hard criticism on these guys.

Perphaps this could have been avoided if SI contacted a couple of users and gave them the demo in advance so they could check the game since their testing team was a bit ....hm how shall I put this.....high on something :( not to notice such a bug.......Well I will voluntier for such a role in the future:p

I think the ultimate question basically still remains:

Is a patch going to be avaliable to fix injuries bug on release date?

I understand the patch will be released, on which hand I just might wait until Monday before buying and see the reaction over the weekend from other users.

I agree that past games have never let anyone down, but also agree on the game been tested by just a handful of people, but with a direct feedback to SI and not here, that way, a lot of these problems could well have been avoided.

I for one would gladly forego the demo in order to have a smooth running game on the release date.

God Dam you people have no lifes

PLAY THE DEMO .......if you cant play a full team start a new game untill the patch arrives

wow!!

Paulc said he will fix it and hes a good man for owning up

he part made this game.....and all you lazy s***s can do it have a go at him!, even better thing ive notice your all making the same frigging point seriously come on you think he gets it by now????!!

Paul well done on Fm09 its quiet good pity about the injurys but understandable

Rafael Da Silva for the win :p

A good man for owning up! He is the one who hasn't done his job. In any proper company he would be sacked.

Understandable about the injuries! Have you not read the other posts you sycophant.

You’re the one that needs to get a life which the plural is lives not lifes. ******

The injuries are a massive joke, I have just finished the demo with Man U and berbatov only managed to play 6 games because he was injured the rest of the time.

But the worst thing 4 injuries in one game, so I didnt even have enough subs to cover the injuries let alone the 2 tactical subs I made at half time.

Like alot of people on the forum, I certainly wont be buying the game until people have posted it has been fixed.

And the other bugs as well which are little but enough to **** you off.

Like the game speed slider controls everything, replays, substitions, before i realised this sometimes I had take 20 mins to do a couple of subs. And the 3D match engine is really poor, the only good thing about it is reminds me of the good old days when I used to play Football Manager and Football Manager 2 on my spectrum.

I really hope the launch day patch fixes these problems or I wont be buying this year and hope Weegie continues his updates for '08.

Paul C .... I appreciate the fact you've taken feed-back on this issue & have agreed to fix it in the new patch. My only concern is is that you only seem to be recognising this as a problem in relation to pre-season & the condition of players when they report back.

I've just completed the 6 month demo & was getting an average of 2 serious injuries every game throughout the whole 6 months - not just in pre-season. My last game in the demo saw my central attacking midfielder (who started the game with a condition of 96%) injured after only 3 minutes. His replacement (who came on with a condition of 100%) was then injured in the 45th minute. Both injuries identical & resulting in both players being out for 2 months. This has been the story in pretty much EVERY match in my 6 months. If possible, please could you make a point of looking at injuries 'overall', as opposed to focusing mainly on pre-season?

Thanks

dont like moaning but i do find it unacceptable that such a basic and obvious error within 10 minutes of playing the game somehow makes it through testing and into the final production of the game. You buy a product in a store for it to work, not to have to go home and go download something to make it work. Many of my friends play FM and know nothing about the patches, they just play the game they buy, which currently with the injury issue is basically unplayable. Its all good that SI recognise the issue and are making a free patch for us, its much appreciated but it is there job to make the game in the stores playable in the first place for those who dont know bout patches. Thats what they are payed for, somebody has to take responsibilty for this massive mistake,obviously little errors may occur when a game is released,its inevitable but this is a huge error and one that to the most rookie FM user would recognise instantly. How has this game made it through testing? if it was even tested cause i cant see how it could have been, truly disgraceful by SI

dont like moaning but i do find it unacceptable that such a basic and obvious error within 10 minutes of playing the game somehow makes it through testing and into the final production of the game. You buy a product in a store for it to work, not to have to go home and go download something to make it work. Many of my friends play FM and know nothing about the patches, they just play the game they buy, which currently with the injury issue is basically unplayable. Its all good that SI recognise the issue and are making a free patch for us, its much appreciated but it is there job to make the game in the stores playable in the first place for those who dont know bout patches. Thats what they are payed for, somebody has to take responsibilty for this massive mistake,obviously little errors may occur when a game is released,its inevitable but this is a huge error and one that to the most rookie FM user would recognise instantly. How has this game made it through testing? if it was even tested cause i cant see how it could have been, truly disgraceful by SI

Jesus man, who took the jam out of your doughnut!!??

Was this really necessary? I mean, 7 pages now of the same stuff which has been debated to death, and even PaulC has come here to apologise and fix it immediately. What do you want, blood!??

Jesus man, who took the jam out of your doughnut!!??

Was this really necessary? I mean, 7 pages now of the same stuff which has been debated to death, and even PaulC has come here to apologise and fix it immediately. What do you want, blood!??

I doubt he wants blood and it's nice to see SI being sorry about it but still very unacceptable with a bug like this.

(Oh and doughnut are best without jam ! :p )

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but do you all know if the issue is releated more to pre-season or the full demo period as a whole??

As with most of you, I had loads of injuries in pre-season, but once the season got going, the number of new injuries seemed to calm down.

Therefore is it a general injury problem affecting players all the time, or is it mostly linked to pre-season when they're not yet 95-100% fit??

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I don't know if this has already been discussed, but do you all know if the issue is releated more to pre-season or the full demo period as a whole??

As with most of you, I had loads of injuries in pre-season, but once the season got going, the number of new injuries seemed to calm down.

Therefore is it a general injury problem affecting players all the time, or is it mostly linked to pre-season when they're not yet 95-100% fit??

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Posted by Paul C

"When the game is released there will be a patch where less injuries occur, the aim being to cut the no of injuries in the game at any one time by around 33%. We will do this by

a) reducing the "pre-season effect" on player condition

b) reducing slightly player condition drop in match

c) adjusting the ratio of light to severe injuries in match

That's basically how its going to be."

Posted by Paul C

"When the game is released there will be a patch where less injuries occur, the aim being to cut the no of injuries in the game at any one time by around 33%. We will do this by

a) reducing the "pre-season effect" on player condition

b) reducing slightly player condition drop in match

c) adjusting the ratio of light to severe injuries in match

That's basically how its going to be."

That's certainly good to hear that SI is now working out the details on what to change to fix this situation. Even as I get into the season, I'm still seeing 3 to 5 injuries per game (on default training schedules), after the early season 7 to 9 per game. Even with a "33%" decrease, we can still expect at least one (or two) injuries per game? If these are knocks and tweaks, more than the long-term injury, I guess that's more in line with reality.

I've took on-board what PaulC has said, and now its 4 games and zero injuries. I have hired better staff, and also tweaked my training schedules from last year. all good so far.

Can those of you who have taken this approach of tweaking training and hiring better physio/fitness coaches tell a little more in detail about what you did - and how it worked? Is it as simple as hiring the best available physios and fitness coaches? Extras above the normal number? Just turn down training to medium, or something more drastic?

To the people saying PaulC should be sacked, you do realise he's one of the heads of SI and one of the founders? When you look in the hall of fame and see the name Paul Collyer, yeah that's him.

Thats what I was gonna say, but didn't want to start another thing to debate lol. 500+ posts all saying the same thing is enough in one thread I think. I thought this would of been closed now, we have the problem, the evidence, the apology and a soloution, therefore this thread serves no more purpose.

I was Reading and by the second week into the real season i was bringing my reserves who the coach said i should off load. And Reading hardly have a small squad and because i had no strikers i tried to loan Rhys Murphy but i couldn't due to 'first team comitments'. i think that when the real game comes out i will be using editor alot. :D

i think everyone is upset with the injuries. i have just completed my 1st demo and was shocked at the amount of injuriesi had throughout. in one match alone i had 5 injuries (rooney, anderson, ferdinand, hargreaves and giggs) and 3 of these were for 2 months each.

I hope that there will be a patch released on friday as there will be a lot of unhappy people aswell as a lot of customers not buying the game until these are fixed.

Please let us know if this is going to be the case SI

Gareth are you a F***ing R****d?

Did you even take the time to read! There are 7 pages

YES SEVEN dont you think it MAY have been answered already???!!

Si guys you really need to mods of these forums to delete the most stupid of comments.

Can i just say people in this forum really need to open thier eyes up because the stupidity in here is quiet amazing

Btw Paulc again great game and great effort. Impressed with the improvements from 08-09 :):)

WHY I THINK ATTACKING PLAYERS IN PARTICULAR ARE GETTING MULLERED IN MATCHES.

On previous FM incarnations I have very rarely used the 'Hard Tacking' option or indeed given it much thought, but I notice on the FM09 demo the Assistant Manager almost systematically advises targetting opposition attacking players with this option. It would therefore seem logical that the oppostion also employs the same 'tactic'? It also seems logical defenders going in hard on your attacking players increases the chance of them being injured. When I have used hard tacking on the demo, it does seem to cause injuries in opposition players (admittedly at the expensive of relatively regular yellow cards for CB and CM).

I don't know if the patch, which will be toning down injuries in matches in general, will iron this out, but I wonder if this specifically needs to be tweaked? I mean, its not the 70s when flair players were systematically kicked up in the air and afforded little protection by the ref.

Even if you look at the notorious Arsenal-Stoke match recently, where the Arse suffered three injuries and had to finish the match with ten men (a very familiar scenario to anyone who's played the demo!) this real life example is surely an exception rather than a rule? Two of the three injured players played in the following Premiership match. It would be regrettable if systematically using Hard Tackling becomes a legitimate tactic for FM09, irrespecitve of the opposition or tactics employed.

Personally, this option has always seemed a little extraneous anyway? Of course in real life, it is a cliche that managers advise certain of their players to let opposing flair players to "let them know they're there" early on in a match, but this is surely to intimidate these players, rather than injure them (although this may increase this possibility slightly). Flair players/forwards soon become very adept at a) taking evasive action (see Ronaldo) and b) making the most of such challenges and getting referees to nip such behavior in the bud (er, see Ronaldo).

I will not be buying this before the patch is out as there is no point - do we have an official release date for the patch?

Also guys don't be so naive about this, think about it - we all know that SI are capable of making the best football management games out there by a country mile but what do SI do in order to prevent piracy? No activation codes on CD's/instructions manuals, no online registering of the games, no checking or auditing that the same copy is used many times.

No none of that - the one thing that they do every year is release a game with a fatal bug, because they know that it is a lot harder (nigh on impossible) to pirate this game and get the latest update with a cd crack.

It makes commercial sense to them.

I will not be buying this before the patch is out as there is no point - do we have an official release date for the patch?

Also guys don't be so naive about this, think about it - we all know that SI are capable of making the best football management games out there by a country mile but what do SI do in order to prevent piracy? No activation codes on CD's/instructions manuals, no online registering of the games, no checking or auditing that the same copy is used many times.

No none of that - the one thing that they do every year is release a game with a fatal bug, because they know that it is a lot harder (nigh on impossible) to pirate this game and get the latest update with a cd crack.

It makes commercial sense to them.

SI say the patch will be out on Friday, along with the game.

As to the commercial aspect, yes I agree, it makes common sense to do this.

Gareth are you a F***ing R****d?

Did you even take the time to read! There are 7 pages

YES SEVEN dont you think it MAY have been answered already???!!

Si guys you really need to mods of these forums to delete the most stupid of comments.

Can i just say people in this forum really need to open thier eyes up because the stupidity in here is quiet amazing

Btw Paulc again great game and great effort. Impressed with the improvements from 08-09 :):)

did i touch a nerve there by any chance azaking. rather than companining about me why not get the mods to take a look at your abuse of other members. if i want to put my veiws on it even if they are mentioned previous then i am fully entitled to. i dont need jumped out t***s like you telling me this should not be the case. i am merely giving my opinion and politely asking SI that the patch is out with release and it sorts out what is clearly a big issue for a lot of people that have played this game for years like myself. jog on azaking

• SI Staff

On that note, this is closed. Injuries are reduced for the patch, but people will still have to manage their players' condition and fitness, and also accept that some players are injury prone.

Archived