Early Release/Dispatch of Fm2009 Authentication

When you buy most forms of entertainment you are paying for the right to enjoy said entertainment, not the physical disc/record/tape.

And you shot yourself in the foot. Apart from your paper-thin rebuttals obviously.

If I have the disc in my hand then it contains everything that is there to enjoy it, apart from someone deciding that they wont let me. Which is completely against everyone elses software release since the dawn of time.

To borrow some of your terrible counterpoints, it's like your mum has a bunch of flowers delivered to her a day early but she isn't allowed to look at them or smell them until the next day. She has to just put them in a cupboard and forget they exist.

Or to use your football one, the teams are at the stadium, the fans are at the stadium, the referees are there and at the last moment the FA notice that the game should be played tomorrow and you'll all have to sit there until then.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you shot yourself in the foot. Apart from your paper-thin rebuttals obviously.

If I have the disc in my hand then it contains everything that is there to enjoy it, apart from someone deciding that they wont let me. Which is completely against everyone elses software release since the dawn of time.

To borrow some of your terrible counterpoints, it's like your mum has a bunch of flowers delivered to her a day early but she isn't allowed to look at them or smell them until the next day. She has to just put them in a cupboard and forget they exist.

Or to use your football one, the teams are at the stadium, the fans are at the stadium, the referees are there and at the last moment the FA notice that the game should be played tomorrow and you'll all have to sit there until then.

These analogies are getting worse and worse

I think SI should do the decent thing and support the people who support them by making this game playable on what ever day it reaches their paying customers...to do otherwise is petty and mean spirited IMO.

There will also be many folks who don't read these forums who could think that their game is faulty if they get it a day early and it doesn't work.

Bottom line: Would bringing the authentication date forward by 24 hours really hurt SI? No it wouldn't hurt them at all, and it would save a lot of people who don't understand what is going on a lot of confusion and disappointment.

Aren't the demo saved games compatible though? So you could just play the demo until the proper release date and port it over.

The world will not end if you do not get to play FM09 a day earlier than the official release date, regardless of when you receive the copy.

I'm really suprised by people expectations and views here, it's like their personal rights have been violated and they feel they are entitled to something that they aren't.

Lord! Look, the release date is the 14th November! Whether your games arrive earlier is quite frankly irrelevant! Yes you have paid for them and they are yours but that doesnt change the date that SI have said they are releasing the game. Surely the games would only arrive a day early anyway, its really not that big of a deal in my opinion, im sure many will disagree...

Lord! Look, the release date is the 14th November! Whether your games arrive earlier is quite frankly irrelevant! Yes you have paid for them and they are yours but that doesnt change the date that SI have said they are releasing the game. Surely the games would only arrive a day early anyway, its really not that big of a deal in my opinion, im sure many will disagree...

Hopefully the Authentication process online will be available from 00:01am on Friday morning though. How do you think those people who go to Asda/Tesco at midnight for the game would feel when they rush back to their house only to find out they can't play it until 9am when the Steam download version becomes available?

As i said, hopefully that is not the case.

Hopefully the Authentication process online will be available from 00:01am on Friday morning though. How do you think those people who go to Asda/Tesco at midnight for the game would feel when they rush back to their house only to find out they can't play it until 9am when the Steam download version becomes available?

If they do wait until the 14th to authenticate it then it will definitely be done at midnight

I had an email yesterday confirming that my copy was sent that morning so I should have mine in a day or two!

I can't believe they've sent it this early.

Then I heard about the authentication process and thought "this will be torture!" but....

I have a mac so yay!

Thats unfortunate mate i agree, but if people are going out to buy the game at midnight and have to wait till 9am to play it do you not think that the smart idea would be, i dunno, to go to bed?

Im just saying that the simple fact remains, release date = 14th November!

I stand by the example I gave above, but just to give some more details: I find it stupid to be able to have the game in hands but not be allowed to install it. It does not matter to me, the consumer, whether SI is at fault or the reseller. The fact is that I ordered the game or saw it in a shop, go home to install it, and I'm not allowed to. Things are bad enough when games are unplayable at release due to bugs (and I'm not singling out SI here, as I never had such a problem with FM), but I really doubt that there will be a notice on the box saying "This game cannot be installed before November 14th". Do not think that because we read the forums, everyone who will buy the game does. Friends of mine who do not read English (I'm from Belgium), never come here for example.

On a personal note: I don't care that it would be impossible to play the game on the 13th, I plan to buy it only after the first patch is released (or second if there is a patch on release day).

i belive the game will be playable without 'authentication', for the simple fact not everyone has the internet. so if you buy the game and dont have the internet you get penalised n cant play it??? just a valid point.

No, as there is an option to do it by telephone for those without the internet. SI Have thought of everything! :D

Unlikely. For a start, FM isn't one of the games that immediately attracts the attention of scene groups. Also, security measures are advanced enough that it generally takes at least a few days to crack modern games. And of course, you have to factor in scene rules that mean that emulation techniques can't be used; the security has to wholly bypassed, or your release will get nuked.

I wouldn't expect pirated versions to appear for at least three days after release, and probably not for a week or so.

(And no, I'm not advocating piracy!)

Oh you are REALLY underestimating pirates! I remmember last year. On release day there were copies all over the net. They wont stop.

No, as there is an option to do it by telephone for those without the internet. SI Have thought of everything! :D

hope it'sa free phone number! and what if you don't have a phone line? or a mobile! lol. (how the hell wood authentication over the phone work!?)

Oh you are REALLY underestimating pirates! I remmember last year. On release day there were copies all over the net. They wont stop.

are you kidding me? from what ive hear don other forums (outside SI) it had leaked about 7 days before - although those b**t**ds got their just deserts with the faults they had with it :D

i think the authentication process this year will drive off at least some of the pirateers looking for a free copy. i couldnt put up witht the hassle of spending hours trawling for 'cracks' well done SI :)

I had an email yesterday confirming that my copy was sent that morning so I should have mine in a day or two!

I can't believe they've sent it this early.

Then I heard about the authentication process and thought "this will be torture!" but....

I have a mac so yay!

Where did you order it from?

i think the authentication process this year will drive off at least some of the pirateers looking for a free copy. i couldnt put up witht the hassle of spending hours trawling for 'cracks' well done SI

it won't make a blind bit of difference. the game will be hacked and cracked and available for free, no-need-to-authenticate download. much, much more "secure" systems than the one SI are employing have been cracked. the bigger the challenge, the more kudos there is in cracking it; the more kudos, the more pirates will be on the case. these DRM systems are like the anti-piracy notices you get before movies: targeted at the wrong people, the paying customers who are the only ones who see it/have to put up with it.

i buy the game cos i want to support SI and so they can keep making games i love. but it doesn't mean i agree with or like having to jump through hoops to enjoy it.

Can anyone from SI please clear this up?

I've pre-ordered my game don't know if it will arrive early or not, but I would be annoyed if I couldn't play just because a third party retailer - who I did not ask to send the game early -has shipped my copy resulting in the game ariving early. It's kind of penalising the wrong people.

i agree with killiekev1869...lot harder games to crack than FM have been cracked and are available. I dont think FM will be the 1st game which needs authentication and im sure previous games have also been cracked. FM wont be hard for pirates.

Stevie G 32201

If you pre-order an album by your favourite band it arrives before the official release date would you wait until it's official release date before playing it?

If the company put something on the CD that meant it wasn't able to be listened to until the release date, then yes, you wait.

That's like comparing coffee to a NASA space shuttle launch.

:D wish i'd thought of that one!

i'd booked a 2 days off work to get started, but it seems that one is going to be wasted now, but if they feel this is a way of beating piracy i'm all for it. it's really the vendors that are to blame here, they should stick to release dates - or at the very least inform customers of the restrictions at the time of purchase.

had a bad day have we?

if i send my ma some flowers, it's usually birthday or such like, she'll be expecting them. should they be delivered the day before the old dears birthday i would certainly hope the enjoyment is reduced somewhat. the point isn't the flowers but the meaning ;)

my foot is fine thanks for asking

There's no copyright on flowers, if you own them you can look at them and smell them all you want. Computer games are however protected by copyright - you don't own them however much you want to you use them on the terms of the person who created the game. If you don't like it, don't play games. If you don't like the restrictions on filming in cinemas don't go to cinemas, if you don't like that you can't share music with your friends, don't buy music.

No, this system replaces the CD in drive it's not either or.

And I really don't see how it'll increase piracy... lets assume the pirates get it on the 13th, 10am in the post. they have a whole new version of DRM to crack... depending on the DRM this will take hours to days to weeks to months. Now someone else gets it 8am, can't install it gets frustrated, goes to work. In the evening checks on bittorrent, nothing cos it ain't cracked yet. Now you're trying to tell me that instead of authenticating it the next day now that they've paid for it they're going to download a cracked version possible weeks or months later?

Completely wrong. Spore was released on trackers two days before people could buy it without any DRM at all.

Archived