Simple questions about editing and the editor - just ask in this thread

KUBI

6 hours ago, Rub Me said:

Quick question from me about 'merging' databases. 

I have database 'A' which I am creating a custom team, but I want to merge it with database 'B', a downloaded league structure. I want to merge it because there's some editing I've done to it that I want to bring across the database 'A'. My question is, will I be able to use database 'B' as a standalone database without the database 'A' information if in the future if I merge them? I.e., will the new 'merged' datavse only be in effect in database 'A'  ?

Sorry if this makes no sense I can't figure out how to explain clearly. 

Not if you override the original. Instead after merging them just use save as (instead of save) and save it as database C. Now you still have B without your changes, and C which has both.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, hulkius said:

I posted this in the main forum, but no one replied to help, perhaps more luck here?

The changes on I've made on the pre-game editor won't load into new games and therefore I'm always stuck with original database

As a test before I started anything major, I have made some simple changes to a few players (changing place of births/nationalities etc), to see if it worked OK and loaded up into the game play properly.

However, when I start a new game these changes do not load up into the game and I am left with the original database and no changes.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm presuming I'm either not saving the changes properly, or not loading the changed database correctly.

Very basic issue, but I can't get it.

Thank you for any help anyone can provide

How are you saving the file and selecting it when starting a game?

6 hours ago, rusty217 said:

How are you saving the file and selecting it when starting a game?

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.

Saving the file - this is what I've been doing

1/Save editor data as

2/ users

3/ public *

4/ documents

5/ Sports Interactive **

6/ Football manager 24 ***

7/ editor data

8/ i then name my file (at present i have 2 test files in here, both of which contain minor changes like changing the DoB for a few players)

all of this is done in fmf format

* at this junction, in addition to the folder of 'public' (which i select), i also have the options of A/ default user (but there are no further folders here) and B/ a file with my name go it, but when opened it appears to have system files with no relevance to FM.

** i also have the option of 'editor 24', which then has the file skins, but there is nothing further. I choose Football manager 24

*** at this point there are 2 other options - 'games' and 'skins', both of which have no further folders, so i choose editor data

Starting the game.

When I go to the database option button in the top right hand corner, the only option that appears is the original database, not the 2 named files I've made from points 7 and 8 above.

it looks like I'm not saving the files in the right place - but having read on-line instructions i don't know what I'm doing wrong - my above points of 1-8 all appear to be correct.

Any ideas?

17 minutes ago, hulkius said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply, i really appreciate it.

Saving the file - this is what I've been doing

1/Save editor data as

2/ users

3/ public *

4/ documents

5/ Sports Interactive **

6/ Football manager 24 ***

7/ editor data

8/ i then name my file (at present i have 2 test files in here, both of which contain minor changes like changing the DoB for a few players)

all of this is done in fmf format

* at this junction, in addition to the folder of 'public' (which i select), i also have the options of A/ default user (but there are no further folders here) and B/ a file with my name go it, but when opened it appears to have system files with no relevance to FM.

** i also have the option of 'editor 24', which then has the file skins, but there is nothing further. I choose Football manager 24

*** at this point there are 2 other options - 'games' and 'skins', both of which have no further folders, so i choose editor data

Starting the game.

When I go to the database option button in the top right hand corner, the only option that appears is the original database, not the 2 named files I've made from points 7 and 8 above.

it looks like I'm not saving the files in the right place - but having read on-line instructions i don't know what I'm doing wrong - my above points of 1-8 all appear to be correct.

Any ideas?

hmm, do you use any custom graphics etc.? Or do you have any existing save files? Are they also in users>public>documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 24?

>games for save files and >graphics for graphics, rather than >editor data of course.

Just wondering if maybe the game is looking in a different place. I know there's a place in preferences to choose where save game files go, maybe that affects where it looks for databases too?

20231205205547_1.thumb.jpg.e2fead12522f9da154ba2520896b696e.jpg

Edited by rusty217

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

hmm, do you use any custom graphics etc.? Or do you have any existing save files? Are they also in users>public>documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 24?

>games for save files and >graphics for graphics, rather than >editor data of course.

Just wondering if maybe the game is looking in a different place. I know there's a place in preferences to choose where save game files go, maybe that affects where it looks for databases too?

1/ I don't use any custom graphics - way too complicated for me

2/ i have a couple of existing save files of games using the original database, which are on the actual game itself- is that what you mean?

3/ I went onto this as you suggested

users>public>documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 24?

>games for save files and >graphics for graphics, rather than >editor data of course

after Football manager 24 file, i only get the option 'games', not ' games for saved files', there's nothing in it and I can't see a file called graphics

4/I think you're right that the game is looking in a different place - I just can't work out where? Any suggestions?

The screen shot you had up - how do i get onto that page?

Edited by hulkius

10 hours ago, hulkius said:

1/ I don't use any custom graphics - way too complicated for me

2/ i have a couple of existing save files of games using the original database, which are on the actual game itself- is that what you mean?

3/ I went onto this as you suggested

users>public>documents>Sports Interactive>Football Manager 24?

>games for save files and >graphics for graphics, rather than >editor data of course

after Football manager 24 file, i only get the option 'games', not ' games for saved files', there's nothing in it and I can't see a file called graphics

4/I think you're right that the game is looking in a different place - I just can't work out where? Any suggestions?

The screen shot you had up - how do i get onto that page?

Yeah, it's just games. Was just saying that it's the folder for save files. If there's nothing it it, but you have existing save files then it must be looking somewhere else.

The screenshot is from the in-game preferences.

Edited by rusty217

Trying to setup up a database, everything looks fine. Running test league gives this error. Before the test there was 132 teams, after the test there is still 132 teams. 
Two leagues looses their tier. Before they were both 7, now they are back to empty in tier level. (don't know why??)
Looking at the rounds created, these two leagues are the only two which doesn't get rounds created..

Anyone got a clue?

image.png

image.png

Edit:

image.png.d35380e38fffc8e98b711beb1c02fc15.pngTwo of the leagues looses their tier suddenly when trying to test..??

Edited by Ninja777

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure this is the right thread for this. But I've been spent hours of trying to find a solution for this without any luck and I'm suprised that no one else seemes to wonder about this.

Now, in fm 24 there is now a third club text color in matches, wich is great! But regardless of wich color I editing in the IGE, most of the time the colors doesen't correspond in the games. Arsenals away kit for example, yellow and black obviously. But then I want the blue color in the outline but it's turning black anyway. 

Also, for example, light blue and white doesen't seems possible either. 

I hope you understand what I meant and I would be so grateful if someone knows what to do about this.

I'm using the basic rules to implement transfer windows for a league. No matter what I do the transfer windows are all set in the same year, so the transfer window will run from Jan 1st 2001 to Jan 31st 2001, and July 1st 2001 to August 31st, even though the season updates on June 20th. 

I've tried it two ways, with all the transfer dates set in the same base 2000 year, and one where the first half of the season is set in 2000 and the second half of the season is set in 2001. It still sets it up so the transfer window is running all in the same year and not across the season dates.

Edit: Might have fixed this myself. I set the years to 2023 and 2024, the actual dates of the league. For some reason in this instance using the FM Editor default of 2000/2001 doesn't work and update properly. I'm running quickly through a season now to see if it updates.

Second Edit: Yep. Advanced through to a new season and it seems to have update. Although this issue is a little strange. Usually using the default 2000 year for FM's editor options works fine.

Editor Transfer Window.png

Season Update.png

Transfer Window.png

Edited by Little Miss Lump Kicker

So I am trying to setup a database, and i've got 4 subdivisions, which are going to have 4 groups of 10 (or actually 10,10,7,13 but i can't make that work) - and the bottow 2 of each gets relegated into regional subdivision while the top 2 get to a playoff. Top 3 of the playoff will be promoted.

I am getting an error which doesn't make sense to me. For what I know the Danmarksserien Pulje 1, doesn't have sub-competitions. Also can't actually figure out, where do I change to make this work?
image.png.ace2779506c9e243d0b6c36336e2d3a5.png

If I'm working with other guys to make some database, how should we cooperate?

I was trying to put our .fmf files on github. But the fmf files aren't visiable. I cannot see what is updated on the website. And the xml files exported are also hard to read...

So I want to edit a varity of things. I wanted to implement Greenland. Therefore I replaced Indian-Tamil with Greenland. I tried to create the language Kalaallisut and so on. But when I create a new language, it didn't safe it, so I can't select it for the meant Greenland Land. Plus I can't even select a continent for Greenland.
I think, those are simple question, so I wonder if there is a overall tutorial on such basic things? Help is much appricicated (All in the pre-game editor)

Edited by SlideSheapness

3 horas atrás, N11V11D disse:

Can I edit stadiums (stands, roof, …) in the pre-game editor like in FM23? I remember it worked with the comp.fm-file. How can I “unlock” the stadium editor tool in FM24 Editor? Thank you!

Is there any way to make the World Cup hosts fixed rather than determined the way they are now without completely reimplementing the international rules?  Had a quick look and seems like I'd need to do that, which isn't worth it for such a small edit.

I've hit a couple of roadblocks after two days knee-deep in the editor. The first is a verification block - a problem with an U18 competition that I haven't touched and wasn't flagged until I went down to tier 8. Now it blocks verification of any tier. There are 12 teams  in that compeition

cantverify.png.dd5c8af884a706fe33c85d44e3397954.png

shflu18n.png.54e4688c9d33ef8d833eadcae94cd5d1.png

The second is I've changed the names of 53 league and cup competitions, yet some of them have gone through and others haven't changed (example of changes below).

competitionnames.thumb.png.d93ad7f9deabe24a8085197572e27cc7.png

Any ideas, chaps? :)

Edited by phnompenhandy

3 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've hit a couple of roadblocks after two days knee-deep in the editor. The first is a verification block - a problem with an U18 competition that I haven't touched and wasn't flagged until I went down to tier 8. Now it blocks verification of any tier. There are 12 teams  in that compeition

The second is I've changed the names of 53 league and cup competitions, yet some of them have gone through and others haven't changed (example of changes below).

Any ideas, chaps? :)

For the former try adding an entry for the competition on the Required Teams page for the nation. FM24 has a habit of extincting teams unless it's specifically told that they're required, could be the case here. TBH youth leagues are a bit of a headache to do so it could easily be something else instead.

20231222182611_1.thumb.jpg.81e40ef26021a9c5b0fbdb6cd3da5d9c.jpg

For the latter, name changes not properly showing in the editor is actually surprisingly common. As long as it's on the changes list for that thing it should still show up in game though. Make sure you changed both the long and short name too however, could be you missed one and that's why it's still showing the old name.

2 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

For the former try adding an entry for the competition on the Required Teams page for the nation. FM24 has a habit of extincting teams unless it's specifically told that they're required, could be the case here. TBH youth leagues are a bit of a headache to do so it could easily be something else instead.

20231222182611_1.thumb.jpg.81e40ef26021a9c5b0fbdb6cd3da5d9c.jpg

For the latter, name changes not properly showing in the editor is actually surprisingly common. As long as it's on the changes list for that thing it should still show up in game though. Make sure you changed both the long and short name too however, could be you missed one and that's why it's still showing the old name.

I changed the long names, short names and TLAs. Every time I verify a tier, I fire up the file in the game to check - the new teams are fine but the competition names haven't changed in a dozen tries.

Just now, phnompenhandy said:

I changed the long names, short names and TLAs. Every time I verify a tier, I fire up the file in the game to check - the new teams are fine but the competition names haven't changed in a dozen tries.

Are you using any "real name fixes" or anything like that? They will override whatever you set in the editor. Although that would only affect the in game names, it shouldn't affect what you see in the editor.

2 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Are you using any "real name fixes" or anything like that? They will override whatever you set in the editor. Although that would only affect the in game names, it shouldn't affect what you see in the editor.

Normally, yeah. But I've temporarily emptied my editor data folder so I only have the new edited file-in-progress.

2 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Normally, yeah. But I've temporarily emptied my editor data folder so I only have the new edited file-in-progress.

They'd also be in the game data files, possibly for multiple different patches.

File path of something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2024\data\database\db\2400\lnc

6 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

File path of something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Football Manager 2024\data\database\db\2400\lnc

Oh yeah, I'll get onto that. In the meantime, in your first screen, what does the '-1' for max number of teams mean? Does it mean no upper limit?

17 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Oh yeah, I'll get onto that. In the meantime, in your first screen, what does the '-1' for max number of teams mean? Does it mean no upper limit?

I believe so, although IIRC you can't manually set a -1 there, that's just for default SI coded rules.

Bingo! But I had to take out the namefix files in ALL the patch update folders. Does it mean I can never use them?

Progress has been made - I did this:

advrulefixed.thumb.png.f13f7de53ec318b595e123f8915065b7.png

"Disabled" got me past the previous block to verification

Now I've hit a new one :(      I have situations where the winner of a tier has to play-off against the bottom team in the tier above. But I'm caught out on one and don't know how to turn on the required instruction:

nationrulesflexformat.png.1404b5da34105191bb5e61905b2c13ee.png

L6flexformat.thumb.png.80f40c91a97a784066f711763406faaa.png

The north Caledonian League is tier 6. It has 'flexible format rules' set.

L7nooption.thumb.png.f0db386ef18a9b87d79c1fb282b70d33.png

'Macbeth Highland League Division One' is the tier 7. I can't work out how to get to that 'Mode' menu.

Alternatively, I'd be okay with a straight one up/one down if I knew how to do that!!

27 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Bingo! But I had to take out the namefix files in ALL the patch update folders. Does it mean I can never use them?

Kind of. They do apply to existing saves too, so if you add them back they'll change names again. But you could also edit them. Easy enough to do in notepad++ or something. Just search for the competitions that you changed yourself and delete them from the file, then it won't change them anymore.

Seems like you solved your other issue already, nice one. Although FYI nothing to do with flexible rules. If you never changed anything to fix it, might be worth double checking the playoff is set up right. From your screenshots I'd guess it's not correctly relegating a team, so the error is caused by a team being promoted but nobody being relegated. Could verify with that issue there still if the tier 6 team wins the playoff since then there would be no need to relegate them anyway.

4 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

Kind of. They do apply to existing saves too, so if you add them back they'll change names again. But you could also edit them. Easy enough to do in notepad++ or something. Just search for the competitions that you changed yourself and delete them from the file, then it won't change them anymore.

Seems like you solved your other issue already, nice one. Although FYI nothing to do with flexible rules. If you never changed anything to fix it, might be worth double checking the playoff is set up right. From your screenshots I'd guess it's not correctly relegating a team, so the error is caused by a team being promoted but nobody being relegated. Could verify with that issue there still if the tier 6 team wins the playoff since then there would be no need to relegate them anyway.

I'll finish adding teams to my tiers 9 -13 leagues, then do a full holiday save to see how it goes

Aaarggh, so nearly there - just ONE last problem. Of 13 tiers, 1 to 11 are all verified. It says tier 12 is the problem with the wrong number of teams. But there isn't. I've heavily adapted another creator's work but kept the structure the same. His file runs through perfectly, but just by swapping different teams in, mine's stuck. I get this message:

tier12prob.png.c4b5a8e4ba91878abf11b25dc9c47619.png

I have 14 teams.  :confused:

Anything under "registered teams" for the comp itself, or in the rules? Does the team you swapped out still have that division as their "next division"? If all else fails, just go in the rules and take out "number of teams" and it should verify as it had 13 but then actually run with 14 in-game

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Aaarggh, so nearly there - just ONE last problem. Of 13 tiers, 1 to 11 are all verified. It says tier 12 is the problem with the wrong number of teams. But there isn't. I've heavily adapted another creator's work but kept the structure the same. His file runs through perfectly, but just by swapping different teams in, mine's stuck. I get this message:

tier12prob.png.c4b5a8e4ba91878abf11b25dc9c47619.png

I have 14 teams.  :confused:

Add it to the Required Teams page with 14 minimum, like the youth leagues. There are other things that could cause that error, so it's not a guaranteed fix, but it's probably the most likely issue.

4 hours ago, themodelcitizen said:

Anything under "registered teams" for the comp itself, or in the rules? Does the team you swapped out still have that division as their "next division"? If all else fails, just go in the rules and take out "number of teams" and it should verify as it had 13 but then actually run with 14 in-game

This doesn't always work. I had a similar issue recently, a 20 team league was only finding 16 teams. Set min 16, max 20 and in-editor testing it worked with the full 20, in-game it still only picked up 16 teams though and left 4 permanently without a league. TBH in that instance I think it may have been a hardcoding issue (Russian Premier League), got around it by dropping 4 teams to the league below and setting it up to expand from 16 teams in the 1st season to 20 in the 2nd season and that worked fine. The lower division had no issue finding the extra 4 teams either and ran with 24 teams.

2 hours ago, rusty217 said:

Add it to the Required Teams page with 14 minimum, like the youth leagues. There are other things that could cause that error, so it's not a guaranteed fix, but it's probably the most likely issue.

Could you tell me which page of the menu this is?

requirements.thumb.png.110e06e4f74a838d4751264cac0fc2f6.png

It changes its mind, too. Before tweaking anything here, I tried to verify again; this time it verifies this tier (12) but then refused tier 13, telling me the problem is a missing team in tier 11. I then tried verifying again and its decided to pull me up on tier 12 again.

Okay, after dozens of random refusals to verify, it finally HAS verified all 13 tiers. 

It might have worked after I sort-of followed TMC's tip as inputting the number of teams to min 13 max 16, but that didn't verify imediately.

Whew! I'm now holiday testing the file.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

Okay, after dozens of random refusals to verify, it finally HAS verified all 13 tiers. 

It might have worked after I sort-of followed TMC's tip as inputting the number of teams to min 13 max 16, but that didn't verify imediately.

Whew! I'm now holiday testing the file.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

Hey now you just get to deal with all the errors that pop up from in-game testing! :D

Nope, it's like whack-a-mole, this. Solved every random issue, and then I get this:

noteamsfound.png.086467483f9bebe5f4694e5c8c96daca.png

But I check Nation rules like Rusty showed me:

nationrulesok.thumb.png.2b0c60757e43b0e9f205d4e37c2158da.png

I've lost the will with this mole:

premnotfin.png.b705f0e35d57cc94eb53ffcbd00d2d04.png

I shortened the season by taking out the relegation play-off for 2 automatic relegation spots.

Edited by phnompenhandy

19 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Nope, it's like whack-a-mole, this. Solved every random issue, and then I get this:

But I check Nation rules like Rusty showed me:

I've lost the will with this mole:

I shortened the season by taking out the relegation play-off for 2 automatic relegation spots.

What are your Teams instructions for Stage 0 of the Bruce Gaelic League?

As TMC said there's possibly a stage somewhere that won't start until that playoff ends so without the playoff it causes an issue.

What are your Teams instructions for Stage 0 of the Bruce Gaelic League?

As TMC said there's possibly a stage somewhere that won't start until that playoff ends so without the playoff it causes an issue.

Which bit is 'team instructions'?

stage-0.thumb.png.2bcc6a64b451fbc9d04908f2dee56184.png

qualirules.png.80f6d8f342c360f5d65e6c3cde2ee7dd.png

I think the rest is untouched