Take control of manager

SPrice

A feature I'd like to see is the ability to take control of a manager rather than having to replace them. For example, with Conte being brand new at Chelsea it would be great if I could take control as him so that I don't just push him out of a job that he hadn't even started at the time of starting the game.

This has been discussed before, and the general consensus is that it's not a great idea. From how I see it, FM is largely about you making your way in management in a virtual football universe, not about you trying to roleplay as a real-life coach.

I explain my thoughts on this a bit more in the link that I've attached above.

On 31.01.2017 at 22:05, CFuller said:

This has been discussed before, and the general consensus is that it's not a great idea. From how I see it, FM is largely about you making your way in management in a virtual football universe, not about you trying to roleplay as a real-life coach.

I explain my thoughts on this a bit more in the link that I've attached above.

I have other idea about that you can make choice like the same you can choice in FM you can be male or female so Will be nice idea that you can start your management like new coach or take control on other coach. Is not bat idea i think so some people will be like to take club and be Antonio Conte! for example hehe.

4 minutes ago, robinsongg said:

I have other idea about that you can make choice like the same you can choice in FM you can be male or female so Will be nice idea that you can start your management like new coach or take control on other coach. Is not bat idea i think so some people will be like to take club and be Antonio Conte! for example hehe.

If you had the option to 'be' Antonio Conte, would you make your decisions based largely on what Conte would do, or based largely on what YOU would do?

I'll go back to a point I made in the thread I linked to above. A user playing as 'Pep Guardiola' at Manchester City could easily go against everything Guardiola stands for - by that, I mean adopt a 4-4-2 formation, play very direct, and sign Andy Carroll as a target man. At that point, they might as well be playing the game as themselves rather than playing with Guardiola's name.

Also, if you were playing the game as - say - Arsene Wenger, shouldn't there be a time limit on how long you play for, or could you keep playing as him for as long as you want? I somehow can't imagine Arsene still winning 4th-place trophies with Arsenal when he's 97. :(

And here's one more potential scenario. You're playing as José Mourinho, and you've either won everything there is to win (because it's Man Utd on FM), or you've completely screwed everything up (because it's Man Utd on FM). Anyway, you're either bored or rubbish, so you decide to take up a new challenge with a club like Hednesford. Would that be realistic?

My scenarios may be a little extreme, to be fair, but can you see where I'm coming from now?

10 minutes ago, CFuller said:

If you had the option to 'be' Antonio Conte, would you make your decisions based largely on what Conte would do, or based largely on what YOU would do?

I'll go back to a point I made in the thread I linked to above. A user playing as 'Pep Guardiola' at Manchester City could easily go against everything Guardiola stands for - by that, I mean adopt a 4-4-2 formation, play very direct, and sign Andy Carroll as a target man. At that point, they might as well be playing the game as themselves rather than playing with Guardiola's name.

Also, if you were playing the game as - say - Arsene Wenger, shouldn't there be a time limit on how long you play for, or could you keep playing as him for as long as you want? I somehow can't imagine Arsene still winning 4th-place trophies with Arsenal when he's 97. :(

And here's one more potential scenario. You're playing as José Mourinho, and you've either won everything there is to win (because it's Man Utd on FM), or you've completely screwed everything up (because it's Man Utd on FM). Anyway, you're either bored or rubbish, so you decide to take up a new challenge with a club like Hednesford. Would that be realistic?

My scenarios may be a little extreme, to be fair, but can you see where I'm coming from now?

Yes of course you right but when somebody want play FC Barcelona on start game and what?? they take new manager completly now? who never be manager somewhere? how this like? or take the same Manchester United or Chelsea because they want try and play first season in this clubs? that look very unrealistic also. I dont know how can do that but will be sometimes nice play like Guardiola or Conte. You see for example Conte start in Chelsea other tactic and style start play 4-2-3-1 after bad play change on his style. So some managers change style depends what team is it so that will be just extra options for gamers like the same how challanges in fm now.

Just now, robinsongg said:

Yes of course you right but when somebody want play FC Barcelona on start game and what?? they take new manager completly now? who never be manager somewhere? how this like? or take the same Manchester United or Chelsea because they want try and play first season in this clubs? that look very unrealistic also. I dont know how can do that but will be sometimes nice play like Guardiola or Conte. You see for example Conte start in Chelsea other tactic and style start play 4-2-3-1 after bad play change on his style. So some managers change style depends what team is it so that will be just extra options for gamers like the same how challanges in fm now.

If you want to manage Manchester United from the start, you could just give yourself the highest possible qualifications and experience. In that case, you would have at least some reputation and credibility instead of being a total nobody who replaced Louis van Gaal for no discernible reason. (In this case, it's as if Mourinho never got the United job.)

Anyway, apart from the realism points I made earlier, I'd imagine that playing as a real manager in FM would be very unlikely to happen because of legal reasons - the same legal reasons that mean you won't see Wayne Rooney attack a referee, or N'Golo Kanté stumble out of a nightclub drunk at 2am on the morning before a game.

1 minute ago, CFuller said:

If you want to manage Manchester United from the start, you could just give yourself the highest possible qualifications and experience. In that case, you would have at least some reputation and credibility instead of being a total nobody who replaced Louis van Gaal for no discernible reason. (In this case, it's as if Mourinho never got the United job.)

Anyway, apart from the realism points I made earlier, I'd imagine that playing as a real manager in FM would be very unlikely to happen because of legal reasons - the same legal reasons that mean you won't see Wayne Rooney attack a referee, or N'Golo Kanté stumble out of a nightclub drunk at 2am on the morning before a game.

Stop dont say me about realism in game because this is only game will be never 100% realism how can be when you buy player and after buy he is immediately in the club I buy one Player from Brazil 15 January and i have Match in 15 January but i buy him 8 o'clock in the morning and game was 18:00 so and he can play in this game! and you say me about realism?

1 minute ago, robinsongg said:

Stop dont say me about realism in game because this is only game will be never 100% realism how can be when you buy player and after buy he is immediately in the club I buy one Player from Brazil 15 January and i have Match in 15 January but i buy him 8 o'clock in the morning and game was 18:00 so and he can play in this game! and you say me about realism?

If you can find another game that simulates modern football more realistically than Football Manager, then I'll be more than happy to hear about it.

I can see that this topic is about to veer in the wrong direction. I've made my points, so I'll leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, CFuller said:

If you can find another game that simulates modern football more realistically than Football Manager, then I'll be more than happy to hear about it.

I can see that this topic is about to veer in the wrong direction. I've made my points, so I'll leave it at that.

So dont say me what will be unrealistic and what will be realistic in game I just say that will be nice option Football Manager start much open now for all ideas. I remember few years ago when was big chat about famele persons in game why! for what! and IS put that in game and is any problem? i dont think so in about choice to be real manager will be also nice for some people.

Gotta agree with this one. Would love for something like this to be added.

Really can't understand why people would be against it either. More choices are never a bad thing. If you want to create your own manager instead of taking over an existing one there's nothing stopping you from doing that. Why are you so opposed to other people playing their game differently from how you play yours?

I really want this feature. 

For example i wanted to start with Ivan Campo as Manager at Bolton Wanderers but i can't because he is already ingame and i don't want to have a duplicate of him. 

I had the same with Racing Strasbourg i wanted to manage with Leboeuf. He isn't ingame but is listed as a legend in the history of the team. So if i could do it to a legend at Strasbourg there would be two Leboeufs and this doesnt look nice.

Also it would be interesting to start as a free Manager like Andre Breitenreiter in Germany and see what you can do and what job you can get.

1 hour ago, who_is_it said:

I Hope that this feature will never be in FM.

It wouldn't change anything for you if you don't want to use it...

• 2 weeks later...

Good idea. As a Liverpool fan, I want to manage the team but at the same time I don't want to see Klopp go to other clubs. This feature will give me the option to roleplay as Klopp.

Having the option to play as yourself or as the real manager is great for gamers since it add more way to play this game.

i want this very much, I am already doing it by making my own Klopp manager and taking over Liverpool, but it would be much better to just take over the existing one.. and if you dont want this, then just dont do it, I think it would be fun.. 

I've always wanted this feature. 

With a takeover as a manager, you get their respect, favourite people, etc. Players who have worked under you before are more likely to sign (if it was a good experience) and so on. 

Option should still be there for your own manager if that's what you want. 

Perfect example of this is I wanted to take over Atletico as Simeone, however I couldn't do this. Regardless of what my playing style would be, it would give you the reputation etc. If I got sacked, more likely to get a job etc. 

It cant make the game any worse, so why not??

Another bonus of this feature would be say normally you take charge at Lincoln City - where we have the Cowley brothers as manager and assistant at the moment. Normally you'd be left with Nicky as assistant, yet I somehow doubt that he would want to stay at a club who sacked his brother and replaced him with a nobody before he'd even been given a chance. Yet with this feature you could take control as the legend that is Danny Cowley and keep his brother and everything is slightly more realistic when considering personalities etc. A similar situation is at the top clubs where all the managers bring along their favoured coaching staff, e.g. Rui Faria and Mourinho.

• 8 months later...

Archived