[FM 17] If You’re Not First, You’re Last Redux – Redemption For The “Nearly Men” Of Europe

ManUtd1

How do you like me now, Lukas?

c994de8b2dc161f5a14fbe54612f1fbc.jpg

039b6249e400d2032a0580260a38bf9f.png

TZ10 -- the greatest living Czech footballer -- is back, to win that 100th cap and kickstart the Telleus era in Praha.

My long-term goal is to bring the cocky little SOB onto the staff.

Edited by ManUtd1

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick peek at Europe over the holidays, while the forums were down:

af26613b17db4779489199af3298156e.jpg

Brendan Rodgers hasn't completely destroyed Leeds yet.  Bayern are threatening to become relevant again, while Dortmund endures a slump.  Panathinaikos are struggling and actually had their manager sacked in early December.  That's how close they came to this party moving to Athens...

17 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

The 2042 WC? That may be ambitious, even for you...

Hahaha...fair enough.  I'll reassess at that point -- push on for 2046 with no changes, abandon the Czech Republic as a whole, or head to a club (e.g., Germany, Italy or Spain) where I can continue to groom promising players.

Not good for Pep The Bald...

799f4c03896a4340c8facd5c7193bdfa.png  

db2ba016246f658e696f593a0efd404c.jpg

No, 8th place isn't going to cut it now, is it?  PSG holding on as Saint-Etienne pushes on...Rodgers' Leeds holding on in the two-horse race in England...Fiorentina are Fiorentina'ing.  Belgium is all out of sorts.  Panathinaikos is dropping like a rock...with Wolfsburg trying to make a run in the Champions League...

a57a29482115e262a7b19aeaa0ffc3be.png  

It was strange, how readily authority could be conjured with nothing but a bit of strutting jackassery. 

Czech_Republic_FA.thumb.png.73464eb90797f8de13685c37875fdff2.png

Czech Republic

March 2038 Mini-Update

A glorious beginning in Praha, even if it took more than 4 months for the first ball to be kicked.  Note that TZ10's glorious return to the Nároďák, for his 100th cap, is marked by a blistering free kick goal.

f97f1b0675b79d96455cbee90fe199b7.jpg   3acf5bccdc336e122057fbf79a9147a0.jpg

Tomas has been helping with translations, with lots of references to grapefruitový.  Perhaps, after today, the lads will truly see the method to the madness.

Our next match is in June, a pre-World Cup friendly in Uruguay.  I definitely need to figure out who's responsible for that.

Edited by ManUtd1

It was strange, how readily authority could be conjured with nothing but a bit of strutting jackassery. 

Czech Republic

June 2038 Champions League Recap / European Overview

Frankly, it was a boring year in the Champions League.  City faced Barcelona in the final, with Fiorentina and Leeds going out at the semifinal stage.  Some interesting teams were in the Group (and made it to the knockout rounds -- Stade de Reims!!!), but in the end it wasn't very inspiring.

a7fc3b9d7f5b7cb0edceaa1f4f81900d.jpg   f925de17c87a2e7a9929de78df5b6586.jpg

ae050e6511fa0b2695d20d7f65392bf8.jpg

af63b9eef1df5a4060e13749af60de87.png   85e6d36c4d879700aed405ce1920af62.jpg

Around Europe...Brendan Rodgers' Leeds lost the PL on the final day of the season.  Sampdoria were relegated, while Leverkusen survived on goal difference.  PSG reclaimed Ligue 1.

f7edacd0ed76bfabfc20ec5b108bd796.jpg   d85d5009e8399113e47dcd9554320c2f.jpg   0cf973c8e7bc26886bd509e8c10afeca.jpg   7636b86e1e48676c7d5c8c4c1f6a72bb.jpg   60814ac26c3d397037df1b3de3b79898.jpg

Czech Republic

June 2038 Mini-Update

It's only a friendly.  But, away to Uruguay, one of the top-ranked nations in the world for the last 5 years?  Yeah, we'll take it.

35a485d5be9612b8229820a54b06c7d2.jpg 82e165b091ff0ef4506ad29999074096.jpg

a94749b63818d5598b3a041e0fd920a2.png

That is likely it for me tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll have the 2038 World Cup Recap and likely some news on appointment at a Czech club as I dig heavily into this next step in the save.

Edited by ManUtd1

2522380_full-lnd.jpg

2038 World Cup, Australia

This was actually a pretty entertaining tournament.  Lots of interesting nations playing, and even some making good runs.  In the end, Portugal beat Spain 1-nil in the final with both Croatia and Cote d'Ivoire falling at the semifinal stage.  Yes, that means that with 3 potentially-eligible sides making the semis, not a single new side is, in fact, eligible.

e2ed6b49e6ce66c6128106a4fb5e8714.jpg   0cfdd2a81610cf4a979bc76fc995d305.jpg

a35246b1ee191f098b023642fd293ff0.png

5313fb694914e209f2a1a07618ed9473.png   f3959b9cc9aca6bf47ec90ade7b37a27.png

Edited by ManUtd1
Replaced awful image of trophy

On 28/02/2017 at 16:43, ManUtd1 said:

Thanks for reading/commenting, as always!

But, it's WAY too early to go "back" to France.  I wouldn't be at all opposed to Germany or Italy right now, but for the desire to shake things up.

Reveal hidden contents

Panathinaikos and Partizan are the only clubs on my shortlist of potential destinations :)

The other options are all focused on the 2042 World Cup with one of the eligible European nations.  NOT Mexico.

It's so hard to think, overawed as I am by the sublime genius of your plan...

for one would think it great fun to watch you battle it out with PSG AND Saint-Etienne with SdR and tons of Czech imports 😬 but beggars can't be choosers. Will be an interesting change of pace to see what can be conjured out of TZ10's second stint in the national team though!

keep the fun times rolling, and the Locke quotes coming!

Chiggity Czech yourself before you wreck yourself 

Czech_Republic_FA.thumb.png.73464eb90797f8de13685c37875fdff2.png 302px-Sparta_Prague_logo.svg.png.bc46cd674cfd8b78974f32ec8b1081b3.png

Czech Republic / Sparta Praha

July 2038 Mini-Update

As the Czech league came into play, 2 sides emerged without managers -- Sparta Praha, the big boys, and Zlin...with their average facilities.  It was an easy decision given the overall tone/tenor of the save, and purpose of opening up the Czech league in the first instance.  Telleus needs more than just warm bodies in the national side, and we can only count on TZ10 for so long.

Telleus wouldn't go to Zlin to develop players for the national side, he'd go to one of a handful of "big" domestic clubs -- Slavia, Sparta, Plzen ...or with Hampus' blessing, Dukla Praha or Bohemians.  Seeing as how Sparta were the only one of these clubs in need a manger, this was a rather straightforward decision.

ddff92d7008dd9044c37551ff6b9a426.png

e67d6a0b5242f70c4cb81508bdc02f11.jpg

2005-full.jpg16428-generali-arena.jpg

It also makes some sense in the context of the save, even if Sparta aren't technically eligible -- Sparta have historically been a major source of players for the Czech national side.  (In the modern era, the top players move abroad.)  Sparta even reached the final group stage of the Champions League in 1991/92, finishing 2nd to Barcelona (who, as the Group B winners, faced Sampdoria in the final).

Make no mistake -- the focus will be on the national side.  Sparta are a means to a end.  I intend to have some fun with them, though...

Which brings me to my final thoughts for this post...take a look at the side.  We have no right midfielders, and only one non-geriatric left midfielder.

1751382a4341913eb57931e72d07eef6.jpg

You know the question before I even ask it.  Do I dare go strikerless for both club/country?!  If my goal is to be the source of players for the national side and keep players from moving abroad (by any means necessary...), I can't think of a good reason why not.  

Granted, this would mean that I have to hoover up and retrain anyone who looks capable of being a national team player.  Which would be more fun that anything else, wouldn't it?  Decisions, decisions...I can't decide.

cat-meme-i-cannot-brain-today-dumb.jpg

(I love that Sparta Praha hosted ASSE in a friendly before appointing me, by the way.  One of the little things that amuse me on a daily basis...)

Edited by ManUtd1

29 minutes ago, Akkarin said:

It's so hard to think, overawed as I am by the sublime genius of your plan...

for one would think it great fun to watch you battle it out with PSG AND Saint-Etienne with SdR and tons of Czech imports 😬 but beggars can't be choosers. Will be an interesting change of pace to see what can be conjured out of TZ10's second stint in the national team though!

keep the fun times rolling, and the Locke quotes coming!

That would have been fun, but it just wouldn't have made sense in my head.  I've been hankering for "something different" in the save, which has translated in the narrative to Hakan wishing to do something different as well (he's noted it a few times while in France).  This is a good switch, for now...and would allow for moving abroad (on the club side) at the right time, to a side where I can continue to grow the Czech national side.  The tactics are what's getting to me right now.

The Locke quotes have been coming thick and fast, for sure :lol:   I've got a few that I'm dying to use, that won't work as chapter titles...so, they'll have to weave into the narrative at some point.

5 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

You know the question before I even ask it.  Do I dare go strikerless for both club/country?!  If my goal is to be the source of players for the national side and keep players from moving abroad (by any means necessary...), I can't think of a good reason why not.  

Granted, this would mean that I have to hoover up and retrain anyone who looks capable of being a national team player.  Which would be more fun that anything else, wouldn't it?  Decisions, decisions...I can't decide.

You'd make a horrible magician. Misdirection doesn't really work when it's just you announcing how the trick is done then following it with a "BUT MAYBE I'LL DO IT DIFFERENTLY THIS TIME, WINK WINK, OH GOD AM I SAYING WINK OUT LOUD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP."

You know damn well what you're going to do, good sir! :D

8 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

You'd make a horrible magician. Misdirection doesn't really work when it's just you announcing how the trick is done then following it with a "BUT MAYBE I'LL DO IT DIFFERENTLY THIS TIME, WINK WINK, OH GOD AM I SAYING WINK OUT LOUD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP."

You know damn well what you're going to do, good sir! :D

:lol: 

I'm so tempted...but it seems crazy...

NIz723I36rnRC.gif

Edited by ManUtd1

1 hour ago, ManUtd1 said:

Chiggity Czech yourself before you wreck yourself 

Czech_Republic_FA.thumb.png.73464eb90797f8de13685c37875fdff2.png 302px-Sparta_Prague_logo.svg.png.bc46cd674cfd8b78974f32ec8b1081b3.png

Czech Republic / Sparta Praha

July 2038 Mini-Update

As the Czech league came into play, 2 sides emerged without managers -- Sparta Praha, the big boys, and Zlin...with their average facilities.  It was an easy decision given the overall tone/tenor of the save, and purpose of opening up the Czech league in the first instance.  Telleus needs more than just warm bodies in the national side, and we can only count on TZ10 for so long.

Telleus wouldn't go to Zlin to develop players for the national side, he'd go to one of a handful of "big" domestic clubs -- Slavia, Sparta, Plzen ...or with Hampus' blessing, Dukla Praha or Bohemians.  Seeing as how Sparta were the only one of these clubs in need a manger, this was a rather straightforward decision.

ddff92d7008dd9044c37551ff6b9a426.png

e67d6a0b5242f70c4cb81508bdc02f11.jpg

2005-full.jpg16428-generali-arena.jpg

It also makes some sense in the context of the save, even if Sparta aren't technically eligible -- Sparta have historically been a major source of players for the Czech national side.  (In the modern era, the top players move abroad.)  Sparta even reached the final group stage of the Champions League in 1991/92, finishing 2nd to Barcelona (who, as the Group B winners, faced Sampdoria in the final).

Make no mistake -- the focus will be on the national side.  Sparta are a means to a end.  I intend to have some fun with them, though...

Which brings me to my final thoughts for this post...take a look at the side.  We have no right midfielders, and only one non-geriatric left midfielder.

A very interesting choice, will they be going to the Champions League?

Also,sorry for the slight derailing - but how did you come up with the name Hakan Telleus?

26 minutes ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

A very interesting choice, will they be going to the Champions League?

Also,sorry for the slight derailing - but how did you come up with the name Hakan Telleus?

Thanks, man.  Yep -- we actually play the 2nd/home leg of the 2nd qualifying round tie against Europa (Gibraltar), the same day as my appointment.  I haven't pushed continue, though, as I think through tactics...I'm also working for a few more hours...

No problem at all re derailing!  The name was utterly random and comes from the FM16 version of this save, where he first appeared as the head of "a nascent ABBA-inspired Malmö Ultras group, who claim membership in the 'low- to mid-teens,'" later dubbed the Super Troupers.  This year, I discarded the pseudonym I've used for ages and used him as a manager, since it made more sense to have a Swede kick things off.

30 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Thanks, man.  Yep -- we actually play the 2nd/home leg of the 2nd qualifying round tie against Europa (Gibraltar), the same day as my appointment.  I haven't pushed continue, though, as I think through tactics...I'm also working for a few more hours...

No problem at all re derailing!  The name was utterly random and comes from the FM16 version of this save, where he first appeared as the head of "a nascent ABBA-inspired Malmö Ultras group, who claim membership in the 'low- to mid-teens,'" later dubbed the Super Troupers.  This year, I discarded the pseudonym I've used for ages and used him as a manager, since it made more sense to have a Swede kick things off.

Ah, thanks. 

Ludwig says I've lost my damn mind.  

I called him a silly ****...and then played air guitar for 20 minutes.

tumblr_m7pf2kqEUa1qizfbso1_250.gif 

Once that was out of my system, I told him to **** off.  We're playing strikerless whether he likes it or not.

6 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

Bah, you let them have a shot! 43 shots for you is insane.....

We made a drinking game of it at halftime...a shot of Jagermeister for every shot we got on goal....  Ludwiiiiiigggg!  YES, SON!!!  The Bay City Rollers....that's my jam, mother******.  S-A-T-U-R...where are my pants...? 

Edited by ManUtd1

20 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

We made a drinking game of it at halftime...a shot of Jagermeister for every shot we got on goal....  Ludwiiiiiigggg!  YES, SON!!!  The Bay City Rollers....that's my jam, mother******.  S-A-T-U-R...where are my pants...? 

What do you mean the season's over?

14 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

What do you mean the season's over?

A shot of teh jeegmisterr for my Eyeriesh freidn.  Hey, why are we getting on this...pleane?!  

I want a pizza...who's up for sum 'za...?

HEY!  Who's...flyeeing ths thingg?  And where's my pizza?!

NO!  I WILL NOT SIT DOWN!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....LUDWEEEEEG, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!  HAHAHA we're in Italy...TURN THAT UP!!! TURN IT...no...hold on...ok...we're good.   YEAH, DEXY AND HER MIDNIGHT RUNNER!  GET IN!!!

Edited by ManUtd1

4 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

HEY!  Who's...flyeeing ths thingg?  And where's my pizza?!

NO!  I WILL NOT SIT DOWN!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....LUDWEEEEEG, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS!  HAHAHA we're in Italy...TURN THAT UP!!! TURN IT...no...hold on...ok...we're good.   YEAH, DEXY AND HER MIDNIGHT RUNNER!  GET IN!!!

Stumbles out of the cockpit with a keg on shoulder. 'We've landed' 

'Eh, that's the sea.....'

Just now, Keano16 said:

Stumbles out of the cockpit with a keg on shoulder. 'We've landed' 

'Eh, that's the sea.....'

HEY IRISH!  THESE LADS ARE WITH...oh, sorreee, mate...you're right here...these guys say they're with Roma!  Hahahaha...Roma!

I tolded them that I'd only manage those pepperoni-eating sausssege-gobblers if they hired YOU on the coooching staff...hahahaha...I know, mate....

[12 hours later]

What the actual ****...where are we, Irish?  My ****ing head...I did what, now?  How could...they...is it an interview if you're black-out pissed?

Edited by ManUtd1

What the **** is going on in Telleus' mind? Will you ever cut the poor guy some slack and let him regain his sanity, you sadistic writer? XD

It's a wonder he can even run a club in that state! Poor guy is so genius he lost his mind. Like a football-managing Bobby Fischer, just without the nazi talk.

Edited by Adonalsium

6 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

[12 hours later]

What the actual ****...where are we, Irish?  My ****ing head...

Ugh, eh....Mexico...no wait!...Tunisia....or is it Turkey??....no, no, it's definitely Tunisia. Guten tag everyone!

Just now, Keano16 said:

Ugh, eh....Mexico...no wait!...Tunisia....or is it Turkey??....no, no, it's definitely Tunisia. Guten tag everyone!

's alright, he's just pissed.  Ignore him, yeah.  They're offering how much?  

6 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

What the **** is going on in Telleus' mind? Will you ever cut the poor guy some slack and let him regain his sanity, you sadistic writer? XD

It's a wonder he can even run a club in that state! Poor guy is so genius he lost his mind. Like a football-managing Bobby Fischer, just without the nazi talk.

Telleus does lurch from one existential crisis to another, it seems.

So, here's the dilemma.  I'm not sure that I'm going to stay at Sparta...I'm very much of two minds.  Debating staying and doing the Czech-only thing, or accepting Roma's offer and moving my Czech-youth-project to the Eternal City...a decade after leaving Fiorentina.

Alright.  Solid display in...where the **** have we been?

d8ce75350f1721406f4eee1792b0d99f.jpg   4fe845fc6395de555650c3083d520331.jpg  

180 minutes from reprising Sparta's trip to the Group Stage in 2037....

39d925461a68ca83262f49a1cc00f237.png  

...if we can vanquish the Greeks.

5 hours ago, ManUtd1 said:

Telleus does lurch from one existential crisis to another, it seems.

So, here's the dilemma. I'm not sure that I'm going to stay at Sparta...I'm very much of two minds. Debating staying and doing the Czech-only thing, or accepting Roma's offer and moving my Czech-youth-project to the Eternal City...a decade after leaving Fiorentina.

Hmmm, it feels a bit weird to do a "Czech-Youth-project" in Rome. I guess you can nab whomever you want from any Czech club, as opposed to being stuck at just one. This feels a bit more like "build up the Czechs" in general, but maybe you don't want that. Maybe Hakan is a bit too nostalgic.

7 hours ago, hasdgfas said:

Hmmm, it feels a bit weird to do a "Czech-Youth-project" in Rome. I guess you can nab whomever you want from any Czech club, as opposed to being stuck at just one. This feels a bit more like "build up the Czechs" in general, but maybe you don't want that. Maybe Hakan is a bit too nostalgic.

Exactly my thought -- it would be far easier to pick up prospects from other Czech clubs reluctant to sell to me. Keep the league active, and seed it with cash.

In the end, I decided to stay here for now. We'll see if something good comes along later in the year, or if I start enjoying the domestic/club side a bit more than I currently am.

I remember skimming over this thread earlier on, but I was struggling to get all the jokes/references :( and by now it's become a 37 page long monster. Is there a quick TLDR? Biggest achievements? Biggest heartbreaks? Biggest Twitter sh*tstorms? 

8 hours ago, noikeee said:

I remember skimming over this thread earlier on, but I was struggling to get all the jokes/references :( and by now it's become a 37 page long monster. Is there a quick TLDR? Biggest achievements? Biggest heartbreaks? Biggest Twitter sh*tstorms? 

Dude, just read through it. Breaking it down won't do it justice.

8 hours ago, noikeee said:

Probably the best TLDR is the challenge overview I provide at the end of each season -- the latest being these:

a2507da04058cce46d6ae2c21ceaa65f.png

6dc4506a4796b72eb69c13191acbc063.png

That's the "where has he been, what has been accomplished" list, only that I need to update the Czech Republic in the latter screenshot to "ongoing."  As far as the references and running jokes...yeah, I'm not sure where to start!

39 minutes ago, Joe. said:

Dude, just read through it. Breaking it down won't do it justice.

30 minutes ago, Adonalsium said:

Spirit of '22 and Barneys on the field. Two things that sum it up for me. As for what they are...? Read and find out.

#HIsForHakan #CaptainF'inAhab

Little bit of a hiatus here -- tons of work and family stuff going on.  

36 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

Probably the best TLDR is the challenge overview I provide at the end of each season -- the latest being these:

a2507da04058cce46d6ae2c21ceaa65f.png

6dc4506a4796b72eb69c13191acbc063.png

That's the "where has he been, what has been accomplished" list, only that I need to update the Czech Republic in the latter screenshot to "ongoing."  As far as the references and running jokes...yeah, I'm not sure where to start!

Errrrm. Seems like you've had a decent career then. :D