Seriously what is wrong with shot aacuracy

Hello everyone,

I am currently managing Southampton. I play FM since 08 and FM16 is the most irritating of all.

How is it possible that in every game I try to create attacking sides and the more I try the less goals I get. 

Always, the opponent has equal goals and shots on target. On the other hand I create five or six times more shots on target and score nothing.

Come on you guys, you have to fix this. I am positive that this a bug issue or something because it happens in all my teams.

Kind Regards

Southampton v Arsenal_ Stats Match Stats.png

Welcome. Watch your language on the forum, please.

For anyone to give you advice, you need to provide information listed here: 

So the starting tactical setup is needed and what changes you made as well, minimum.

Obviously the game is buggy because you're not winning.

Like @HUNT3R says post your system then you'll get help, it's most likely issue of your players not having enough options but without seeing your set-up (shot maps would be useful too) it's difficult to say.

FM has a couple problems (overall shot accuracy overall is not one of them):

- the CCC stat picks up on all kinds of stuff (even if it wouldn't, there's huge misconceptions about at which rates one on ones, cccs are actually converted -- Arsenal at some point during last season had missed like 70% of their CCCs and there's forwards who failed to put them away at rates of pretty much 7-8 out of 10) http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15118/10189870/wasteful-arsenals-premier-league-title-hopes-hit-by-poor-finishing

- outside of manually watching, picking up pen and paper and doing a chart, there is absolutely no statistics or indicator showing where shots are coming from. This was from an older release, matches uploaded by a guy who spread everywhere he went he'd be rigged by the game. Must have been pretty much blind, because in every single match uploaded, all of his supposedly "battering" shots came off set pieces, which is in packed boxes, which means forwards are in zero space, and defenses never any stretched from open play an inch! This isn't made up, all the shots marked green came immediately off either an attacking throw-in, a free kick or a corner. It was the same in every match. In some goals were still actually scored (off set pieces, mostly), in most they were simply easily defended. With most of the bugs ironed out, i.e. LOL my centre back has scored 20 goals this season after corner routines, that's increasingly becoming an issue

6RdBOGj.jpg

- players overly focus on useless possession and shot counts. This player was the poster child of this, he was convinced that always having huge possession and shot counts was somehow turning superior, in fact, beating the match engine itself, whilst you can win back to back promotions with some of the worst possession in the league and never "winning" the shot battle of rates of 2 or 3:1 (Ranieri would approve of that). What you won't do is doing the same with every single shot coming off set pieces every single match, whilst your opponent hits you hard on the break as any of such shots is immediately of higher quality as contrary to any set piece, defenders are actually in headless chicken mode then, and the box as open as the floodgates. At the very least, it will be massively harder to do then. Which both is tactical, always. Going straight with the assistant and letting him do everything, he'd never engaged in any that lead to this, by the way.

As long as SI don't make this blatantly obvious, and introduce further stats and explaining those that are in there, the issue will persist. Well, it always will to degrees, as there are huge misconceptions about football in general and about how it is modelled into the game, to be fair. With the news about improved AI tactical decision making, which is much needed,  here's looking forward for more of all right when FM 2017 hits. Might even be a bad sign if there wouldn't be some more of it, actually.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2016 at 14:39, Fosse said:

Like @HUNT3R says post your system then you'll get help, it's most likely issue of your players not having enough options but without seeing your set-up (shot maps would be useful too) it's difficult to say.

Not winning you said? Obviously you said? Try making Rotherham the richest club in the world friend!

On 17/10/2016 at 14:39, Fosse said:

Not winning you said? Obviously you said? Try making Rotherham the richest club in the world friend!

1 minute ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

If you look at the stats IRL, you'd be surprised to see how many times the team with the most shots does NOT win.

It will happen IRL and in FM. Your screenshot leaves out half chances, which is important. Also, it doesn't show shot quality (although HC + CCC gives a fair idea) and even then, you've shown 1, isolated game.

Well, I was frustrated please forgive my language.

Another match that we failed to score more than our opponent, note that I scored two goals, one of them an own goal!

It is not isolated, it is a routine. The real problem is the opponent's keeper. 11 saves? Really? 13 shots on target, one goal and one own goal.

How important are half chances?

Tactics_  Overview.png

Southampton v Dynamo Kyiv_ Analysis Teams.png

Southampton v Dynamo Kyiv_ Stats Match Stats-2.png

I don't see the problem in the Kyiv game. 4 of your 6 missed shots have come from outwith the 18 yard box, although it doesn't really show how good the chances were or if they were even real chances. 11 shots saved could possibly indicate the GK having a great game/poor finishing, again, 4 of those came from outwith the 18 yard box and another 4 right on the edge. Blocks happen. I'd be looking at the finishing/composure of number 25 and 13 who were responsible for 11 of those attempts not going in or on target.

Just remember, CCC's and shots don't equal goals. If your strikers/midfielders aren't creating good chances, that's a bigger problem than missing chances.

@AngelMatrix23

"Seriously, what is wrong with shot accuracy" is the title of the thread, and you go on to say "this must be a bug" in your OP.

Yet everything that you have linked so far clearly shows there is nothing wrong with your shot accuracy:

- In the OP, 19 shots, 11 on target (58% accuracy)

- Next, 22 shots, 13 on target (59% accuracy)

- Finally, 21 shots, 10 on target (48% accuracy)

Your problem is not shot accuracy.  Neither is it an inability to score goals.

Your problem is your defence.  You should look to analyse what type of goals you are conceding and see what you can do about plugging that gap.  Take a look at @Jambo98's current Leicester thread to see how to go about analysing things.

I am not sure the OP is willing to take on board anything, but here are some examples from me. I played Man U recently, and i deliberately set up in a style which will encourage the opponent to have lots of shots, but the key is where they shoot from. Unless you are Barca on their best days, your opponent is going to get shots, particularly in the system you posted. They are going to have space to shoot, but it is up to you to decide where that space is. 

Here are the final match stats from the Man U game (I am sure Jose is on his way to here / GD to post about the injustice of the ME as we speak.......:D)

rMi0yrt.jpg

Look at how many more shots Utd had. But more importantly, look at how many were from distance. 

Now lets look quickly at the shot analysis of those that did hit the target:

gWGDTrp.jpg

Yup, sure a few were dangerous places, but that is why i have a keeper. Enough of them are from places i will expect my keeper to save 19 times out of 20. If Pogba pings one in the top corner from 30 yards, well i tip my cap and move on. 

Lets throw in even the off target shots for them:

9k3WYCU.jpg

Again, thats even better, Look where they are shooting from. They really were not that dangerous, were they. 

Now lets look at mine,

C0mD0Oj.jpg

Far fewer, far more dangerous. Its not all about who has the most shots, is the basic lesson and it takes all of about 5mins to use the analysis to see this. Of course you would want to watch back some of the shots, to better guage the danger, but even at this level, its easy to tell a lot.......

The tactic isnt really that important - it is understanding how you are set up and what you want to achieve. There is a full thread on it here some where if you really want to see the actual tactic, but that is not really what you need i suspect. :)

Well, I tried to work on things, changed some instructions, made things simpler, create a more compact formation.

Watch for yourself. Again the only goal I scored is an own goal from the best opponent, Rui Patricio the keeper!!!

Also, I took some time to watch my scoring chances. They were all inside the 18 yard box and all one on one situations!

Southampton v Arsenal_ Analysis Teams.png

Southampton v Arsenal_ Analysis Teams-2.png

Southampton v Arsenal_ Stats Match Stats-2.png

Southampton v Arsenal_ Analysis Teams-3.png

1 minute ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

Check out the clear chance, it's literally a Martial shot saved on the line just 1 foot away from goal!!!!!!!!!!

Everton v Southampton_ Field Full.png

While it is a good chance as you say the keeper is right in front of the ball covering a large section of the goalmouth.

To score from there he has a very narrow angle either side of the keeper into the side netting or he has to get it over him.  Either way the keeper stands more than a good chance of getting something on that shot and a decent chance of deflecting it away.

Just now, Cougar2010 said:

While it is a good chance as you say the keeper is right in front of the ball covering a large section of the goalmouth.

To score from there he has a very narrow angle either side of the keeper into the side netting or he has to get it over him.  Either way the keeper stands more than a good chance of getting something on that shot and a decent chance of deflecting it away.

Nice, you make an excuse for him!

It's a bad miss and a good save, the end.

Just now, AngelMatrix23 said:

Nice, you make an excuse for him!

It's a bad miss and a good save, the end.

I'm not here just to agree with you, I'm here to give my opinion which is a fair & honest assessment of that isolated pic that you posted.

Players miss more often than they score IRL but thats a fact that you don't seem to grasp.

So you've lost some games that you maybe didn't deserve to lose, it happens to all managers IRL & it happens to both users & AI managers in FM.  Moaning about it on the forums doesn't help, especially when you don't listen to the advice.

If you upload a couple of PKMs or your save I'll watch a match & give you my opinion.

That Southampton squad has been assembled impressively fast. Usually takes a good few seasons to be able to raise money and reputation to be able to afford and attract players like Isco and Martial. 

You need to focus more on the chances you concede, instead of the ones you fail to convert.

36 minutes ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

Again my defence is the worst ever!

Is it really your defence that's the problem when you leave 3 forwards in advanced positions?

How good defensively are the GK + those 7 players at defending that space? Your showing Isco as one of the midfield 3, Ward Prowse as the most defensive midfielder and both wingbacks who are better going forward than defending.  Your BBM isn't great defensively compared to other BBM (Schniederlin, Nainggolan etc).  Then you have two central ball playing defenders, are they exceptional defensively to cover for all these attacking players?

1 hour ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

Well, I tried to work on things, changed some instructions, made things simpler, create a more compact formation.

So what have you done?  All we have to go on is your original tactic in post 9 above, which doesn't actually tell us the full detail of your system anyway.  Unless you tell us what you change how can you expect us to offer tactical advice?

Please post your current and fully detailed tactical system.

All comments are fine, thank you for supporting.

What I do in the games I play: 

1. I prefer midtable teams with some youngsters and build on them.

2. I ask for less pressure and use younger players mostly, it is the best for them to gain more playing time.

3. The second season is the most important one because is the right time to sell some of the youngsters I feel I wont be able to gain more on the field than financial support for the seasons to come. 

4. If the second season is succesfull, which it was (3rd place), I go for the big guns and use most of the transfer budget to bring the best players to support the formation I use above. 4-3-3 flat.

@summatsupeer You are probably the only one who gets it here. Yes I am aware that you need world class players to fulifill it but the secret is the striker. And there is my mistake, so far. Martial who has not even scored a single goal. November!!! 

Transfers_  Transfer History-3.png

Transfers_  Transfer History-2.png

Transfers_  Transfer History.png

English Premier Division_ Overview Stages-2.png

English Premier Division_ Overview Stages.png

2 hours ago, AngelMatrix23 said:

You are probably the only one who gets it here.

No, we all get it.

Anyway, you've been asked to post your current fully detailed tactical system and you still haven't.

Send me a PM when you are ready to and I'll unlock the thread for you to post it.

Archived