FM16 presents: The Language Lover in Polyglot Pursuits

Wavelberry

Some people manage for the glory. An insatiable appetite for trophies and kudos that comes with winning match after match, league after league and cup after cup.

Some folk manage for the project. A purity of thought that demands a certain style of play, a certain tactcial set-up or a certain way of developing a club.

Some manage for the love of it. Their club or country is in their blood and in their veins and the only thing they could do, indeed the only thing that makes sense, is to manage that team or that country.

Some manage because football is all they've ever known and they can't do anything else especially not live in the real world.

Some manage because their ego demands it. The unfettered love and adoration that comes from being a successful manager.

Some manage because the prospect of spending time at home with family is more terrifying than anything else

And some manage because they want to shout abuse at grown men and make stupid wavy hand signals in the technical area.

Not me though. That's not why I'm getting back into football management. Oh no. I cared once. I tried to build a dynasty of youth and glory in the northernmost regions of Scotland and what did I get in return? Failure, crushing disappointment, cardiac issues and a drinking problem. Caring about the football is for losers and madmen. No, I'm coming back to it for one reason  and one reason only. the betterment of me. I'm in it to learn the language.

Full language list.png

According to the database there are 117 languages in the FM16 world. My aim is simple. I am going to manage in as many different countries as I can in order to become fluent in as many different languages as I can. Success; trophies; dynasty building; these are all incidental. The rules are that I go to a country and I only leave once I have become fluent in the language. Once fluent in the language I will leave as soon as the season is over (or before if I'm doing rubbish) and then move onto the next country.

In order to keep it interesting there will be an achievements list to tick off as I go (because success probably should matter a little bit) and I will be using Classen's expanded db in order to go as far as I can. Let's learn some languages...

Glad to have you aboard peeps. It's taken ages to set up the database etc as I have been having crash dumps galore on set-up. I think it's the African nations having tested the set-up so it looks like I'm going to have to eschew the extra African nations but it is looking good to go now so hopefully the set-up (and achievements list) will be ready this evening and I can learn-a de- languages.

Right then. It's time to get this show on the road.

We start with the leagues loaded and the database etc.

Football Manager 2016_ New Game Choose Nations-2.png

As you can see I have selected an eclectic list of Eastern European destinations along with two big nations in Brazil and Italy. My plan is to keep these nations running for a long while so when I jump to them they will already be interesting. My plan, as much as I have one, is to start out in the diddy Eastern countries and learn those languages and then eventually use Ukraine and Russia as my gateways to the bigger nations. That may alter slightly if I feel like Scandinavia could be a stepping stone and I've also got Bolivia there as an early wildcard. I'm going to start in the league that has the lowest reputation and the go from there...

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Profile.png

And the league loaded with the lowest rep is the Georgian Meore League so Georgia will be my first stop...

Okay, in order to keep things interesting and to add a challenge element I have devised an achievements list

Football Manager 2016_ New Game Choose Nations.png
Most of them are self-explanatory.

Sworn Enemy is a thing where I plan to make an arch-nemesis in every country, upsetting johnny foreigner like the thuggish Englishman on tour I am shouting loudly for another beer and some proper food while sporting a lobster red tan. They have to be someone completely new and not just on the anti list first of all. Maybe I'll get bonus points if I can turn someone with a high opinion of me.

Alienate a foreigner is similar but that's a player achievement whereby I upset a player so much he won't talk to me.

If anyone has any other achievement ideas or indeed what each one should be worth points wise please feel free to suggest and I'll add them to the list.

Meanwhile the game has been created and I now exist in the game world...

Gavin Webb_ My Profile Profile.png

Went for lowest rep and tracksuit manager coz being a fitness coach saves a lot of whinging especially in lower leagues.

Gavin Webb_ My Profile Information.png

And there we have the current language status. The boy from Romford only knows English, although fluent might be stretching it. Time to broaden my horizons.

Dateline June 2015. A simple Essex lad with nothing but a thirst for knowledge and a rudimentary understanding of the basics of football goes out into the world and starts knocking on the doors of Georgian chairman. Shouting SLOWLY...AND...LOUDLY as only an Englishman on tour can he begged them for a job and suffered the same fate at every door. Furtive looks, possible threats to call the authorities (not sure, can't speak the language) and a door slammed in his face, That was until he came to the house with the one chairman who was a big Anglophile could speak English...

Gavin Webb_  Inbox.png

After being invited in and to experience a Supra where many toasts were made and a lot of Chacha was drunk I woke up bleary eyed the next day with a stinking headache to find out that I was manager of a Georgian football club. Let the festivities commence... after an alka seltzer.

10635910_389291794551886_8142063385743933400_n.jpg

FC Duruji Kvareli is a club based in a town in northeastern in Kakheti Province, Georgia. Located in the Alazani Valley, near the foothills of the Greater Caucasus Mountains, it was the birthplace of Georgian author Ilia Chavchavadze, whose fortified house is preserved as a local museum.

The area is in the center of the Kakheti wine-producing region, and the town itself is known for its Kindzmarauli wine, a semisweet red variety which I totally didn't get any of. Anyways. You wanna see the stadium.

11020219_1634088436822563_3271753495381437345_n.jpg

11038125_1634088360155904_5598218915819947547_n.jpg553354_1634088450155895_7343546731835566938_n.jpg

Yep. I've definitely arrived and they're a club starved of success. And probably a groundsman.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-2.png

The squad looks paper thin and I think my Ass Man is optimistic to think we can field a team to play either of those formations. Her'll be getting fired in the morning.

Duruji Kvareli_ Squad Depth Overview.pngDuruji Kvareli_  Backroom Advice.png

What the hell have I let myself in for?

1 hour ago, EvilDave said:

Georgia is such a beautiful country, you'll love it! I also love that you're basically playing in a castle. Good luck with the language though - does FM take difficulty into account? Because that script is ridiculous...

It is bloody ridiculous. I went to google translate something for one of the updates and when i tried to put the script into my press-conference FM just put a load of question marks. I think I might be in Georgia for a while.

Meanwhile, I played my first friendly last night and lost 1-0. A shiny penny to anyone who can guess what type of goal it was... 

10635910_389291794551886_8142063385743933400_n.jpg

Duruji Kvareli Pre-Season 2015

Here we go then. No regrets, time to throw myself in to Georgian life and football.

I started by firing my useless assistant and HOYD. A new Anglophone era demands new people in the club and I went for flash...

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-3.pngGavin Webb_  Inbox-4.png

That's right. What better way to learn about Georgian football and culture than two blokes who have over 30 caps between them. Why wouldn't former International footballers take orders from some idiot who can't even speak the language? No, you shut up.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures.png

Pre-season was interesting. We started and finished with a loss sandwiching some decent form in between and congratulations to anyone who guessed that Tskhinvali's goal was one of those stupid crosses from halfway out on the touchline. New signing Kurpanashvilli hit the ground running and I think we'll be relying on his goals to make a mark on the league. Ominously though our last game was against a team in our league and we were well beaten which suggests a callowness to the squad that I feared might be there. Still, at least it lets us know what trials may well be ahead...

Duruji Kvareli_  Transfer History.png

Along with Kurpa as I will now nickname him I signed up central midfielders as the team hardly had any decent central options and TBH we still don't. money is tight though (I can't even sign a physio coz of lack of cash) so this is as good as it's gonna get.

Duruji Kvareli_  Comparison.pngDuruji Kvareli_  Overview.png

We are a young team with good width and a soft middle but with a surfeit of young, hungry strikers. In true English fashion I've gone for a 4-4-2 variant. Aim to play down the flanks and utilise the Targetman abilities of my forwards. We're not going to be a pretty side to watch.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-5.png

30 hardy souls have bought season tickets to the castle though to see how we get on. I will not fail them.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-2.png Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Season Preview.png

So, to the new season then. We're predicted 12th out of 15 and the board expect midtable which I think is more than enough ambition for now. We start with a home game against the side predicted to finish bottom which normally would fill you with optimism but the fact that I always struggle in home games and the fact that we should be beating them comfortably will probably mean we start with a defeat.  We also play the other sides predicted to finish below us and we'll have another crack against Alazani at home at the end of September so it'll be a very interesting month and a bit. Do we have what it takes? Do I? Will the language barrier be a problem?

Gavin Webb_ My History Press Conferences.png

Let's do this.

2 games in and 2 defeats and an edgy looking 0-0 at half-time in game 3. I go in and give the teamtalk...

WAIT, NO, I TAKE IT BACK!!! Too late: "seemed confused and demotivated".

Bloody language barrier.

2 minutes ago, Wavelberry said:

Does anybody know what 'just catch the ****ing ball you idiot' is in Georgian? I need to get a message to my goalkeeper.

მხოლოდ დაჭერა ხარ ბურთი თქვენ იდიოტი - Apparently :D

Best of luck with your Georgian fortress and the amazing challenge as a whole!

Just now, Makoto Nakamura said:

მხოლოდ დაჭერა ხარ ბურთი თქვენ იდიოტი - Apparently :D

Best of luck with your Georgian fortress and the amazing challenge as a whole!

Thanks. FM doesn't like the script though and just identifies it as ????????????????????? which TBH is my reaction every time the ball is hit directly at my keeper and he fumbles it.

Just now, Wavelberry said:

Thanks. FM doesn't like the script though and just identifies it as ????????????????????? which TBH is my reaction every time the ball is hit directly at my keeper and he fumbles it.

Apparently written in English lettering it's this: mkholod dachera khar burt’i t’k’ven idioti - although I wouldn't exactly trust google translate..

FC Duruji Kvareli August/September 2015 Update

So, you may have guessed from my previous posts that we had a bit of a sticky start to the season but was it a total disaster of epic proportions?

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-31.png

At half-time on the 6th of September it certainly felt like it. My prediction about absolutely ballsing up the first game of the season came to pass as we spurned numerous chances to beat a side we were much better than before getting sucker-punched. Okay, not so bad; I had expected it. Maybe we would bounce back away to 35? No chance. We were lucky it didn't end up 35-0. They sliced through my defence time and again as the four of them played like they'd only just met each other while my goalkeeper parried even the slightest hit shots at him. We did get a consolation in the 84th minute but it meant nothing. Dreams to ashes in the space of two games.

So we moved onto the Metalurgi Rustavi game and again we were playing okay and having a few chances but it was a bit edgy. I thought saying 'unlucky boys, keep going' would make perfect sense but instead I confused the whole team and as the body-language widget popped to a load of 'looks unsure' I started wondering if I could just write I QUIT in English and that would suffice as a resignation letter. As it was though I made some tactical tweaks and somehow we jammed an OG out of them in the 82nd minute and held on for a priceless 1-0 win. Up and running.

The next two games saw us continue our decent defending as I started to get a handle on who was good and who wasn't and then the first big win with a very well worked 3-0 victory against Iberia Tblisi. Alazani rounded off the month but proved to incisive as my defence went dropped into complacent mode. I was pleased we kept it to 4-2 though and we had plenty of chances. Maybe, just maybe I'm getting the hang of this.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages.png

Early days in the table but I'll take 11th after the start we had. I reckon midtable is a good shout for this team as we can play well but we seem to have a hammering of us just lurking around the corner especially with my goalkeeper who would put the jitters in me if played in front of him. I'm definitely scouting for a replacement.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-3.png

Four games in October with a big game away to Real Varketili to start with as they are just above us in the table. Early pacesetters Aragvi visit Castle Duckula in the 2nd game of the month before games against two teams in and around us. 5 points would probably be a good return.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-7.png

In other news there are no physios in my little corner of Georgia. Not one. *sad face*

FC Duruji Kvaerli Octover 2015 Update

The season is settling down and Winter is fast approaching in Georgia. What kind of a season are we going to end up having and will we sign a physio?

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-41.png

Well, we definitely do have a hammering in us as our trip Varketili ended up with a 4-1 thumping after we went 1-0 up. Classic case of scoring too early and inviting wrath. We've conceded 8 goals in two games. I'm am not happy and the league leaders are coming next.

I changed formation somewhat and changed to a smothering possession based system and y'know what? It worked. We were five minutes from beating Aragvi at home, able to stifle the game so much away after that nobody would have scored if we played all month and then we rescued a point at home against Abuli. We may be young, we may be crap but there is some fight in this ragtag bunch of Georgians.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-2.png

We remain comfortably 12th. If we'd have got the five points I wanted rather than just the three we'd be up there with the two teams above us. Instead we are in in a little league all of our own.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-4.png

5 games before the league takes a break till March. Two big away games against teams in and around us and a trip to second placed Paravani (predicted to finish dead last if you remember) make it look a daunting run to the Winter break especially as our home games are against top four Mark Stars and a rematch against 35 who smashed us 5-1. Three points max? It could be a very long Winter if so.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-8.png

Still no physio.

FC Duruji Kvareli November/December 2015 Update

Oh my God. Three points was the height of optimism.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-51.png

We got a decent point at home to Mark Stars but that was all the cheer we had. Can't score and can't defend. A deadly combination. My only hope is that the Winter break allows me to just get rid of deadwood and bring in a quality striker. We have opportunities but nothing seems to go our way. It's gonna be a long winter here in Georgia. Good job I'm only here for the language lessons.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-3.png

13th. Well off 12th. The battle not to finish last will be exciting. It may be the difference between this challenge keeping going or it ending prematurely.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-5.png

So now we Winter but come March we will play the two sides we've beaten as well as the side at the top. We HAVE to pick up points here.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-11.png

Don't blame them. I wouldn't come here either.

So the Winter break is just about done and we're about to restart this amazing league campaign we've been having.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-6.png

First friendlies as I searched desperately for a core of players that can take on these last 12 games as best as possible. We lost games against good opposition and we beat minnows. Nothing beyond fitness and gelling will we get from these matches but I have a sense of the team that will take on the run-in.

Duruji Kvareli_  Overview-2.png

When things started going wrong I went to tighten up at first but it's goals that are the problem so I'm going back to two up front and will just try and go for it as we can't defend for toffee. That clean sheet in the last friendly was a fluke. Trust me,

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-15.png

My mediocre work is getting me noticed. Maybe it's Exotic Foreign Manager syndrome.

Ready for some even bigger news though?

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-13.png

WE SIGNED A PHYSIO!!!

Ready for even more biggerer news?

Gavin Webb_ My Profile Information-2.png

YAY! We''re up and running.

FC Duruji Kvareli March 2016 Update

With the Winter Break over, a physio in situ and me having a basic grasp of the Georgian language were we due a change of fortune or would it be back to the utter despair of the pre-Christmas league form?

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-7.png

UNBEATEN MUTHA****AS!

Yep, with all my talk of having to go out and attack because my defence were rubbish and not to be trusted we only conceded 1 goal all month and that was away to the 2nd place side in the division with a sucker punch right on half time. Other than that we were solid. Granted the level of opponent wasn't high and after drawing two blanks against the only to teams below us I feared the worst but the Iveria game gave us hope and when Iberia 2010 came to Castle Duckula we just clicked into gear to end our winless run of games that stretched back to... well the last game against them in September. That's right, we've done the double over them. Their manager should be fired for that alone. Terrible stuff. For us though it is a gutsy showing that is probably going to end with two points from the eight games left but for now we celebrate. Kindzmarauli wine all round.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-4.png

Back in 12th and only five points from a team we've beaten twice. Can we catch them?

Absolutely not.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-8.png

If we are going to continue the good form and not absolutely fall apart then we'll need to start away to an Alanzi side we haven't been able to touch all season as well as enjoy a trip to the league leaders. With two potentially tricky home games as well we could be looking at a zero point haul. Beware the hype of March.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-16.png

Speaking of hype just have a look at that. An Umaghlesi Liga (top division FYI) team sack their manager and there am I in the conversation. Granted it's at 100-1 and I wouldn't even put my Bet PH71 money on it but it's nice to be in the conversation and it's even nicer to be able to understand some basic words in the conversation. 

FC Duruji Kvareli april 2016 Update

April was always going to be a difficult month with trips away to the top two and good solid teams at home. I was expecting this. It's fine...Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-91.png

Actually, I'll be honest, I was expecting four red blobs out of four so the home win against Varketili was most welcome. Should've really got a draw in the other home game as well. We were gutsy but limited away at the top two. Not much else to say.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-5.png

We drop back down to 13th but with a game in hand on 2010 Tblisi. I'm hoping we can have a decent run to the end of the season and at least get the 12th place we were predicted. If I drop below 13th that will be a very big failure.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-9.png

Four games left With trips to the teams in 7th and 3rd and 6th and 9th visiting us. Tough fixtures all and I'm not sure we've got anything beyond 4pts in us maximum. We'll live in hope though.

FC Duruji Kvareli May 2016 Update.

The end of the season couldn't come quick enough for me, but first there was some good news.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-17.png

A contract extension which is nice after a long and arduous season.

Duruji Kvareli_  Senior Fixtures-10.png

We started the month really well but an absolute sucker punch loss to the bottom side at home was followed by a 3-2 defeat at eventual champions Mark Stars (we were 3-0 down wasn't even close) but the game against Sakartvelos Uni was the worst. They were down to ten and we missed a pelanty. Bloody awful.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-6.png

We finished 13th then. A chastening first season in Georgia

Duruji Kvareli_  Board Meeting.png

And next season is going to be even tougher. Best hope the fixtures are kind to me otherwise I could be unemployed before October arrives.

FC Duruji Kvareli End of Season Report

A chastening first season in Georgia then. The club was full of deadwood and players who were no where near the level required. We had moments of okayness and definitely looked better in the second half of the season but ultimately finished 13th. The board are not happy and have ordered me to pick up 8 points from 5 games at the start of next season. It's going to take a lot of surgery to get this club right and I'm not sure I'm going to get the time.

Georgian Meore Liga Tsentraluri Zona_ Overview Stages-6.png

One of the better defences but we lacked goals. We're going to need a whole new front line to be competitive next year. Mark Stars 3-2 win against us helped them to win the league. We also lost twice to the bottom side. I'd fire me.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-18.png

End of season awards and Zurab Samashvili cleans up. 18 year old winger and he did play well. TBH it's slim pickings. Shubitidze's goal was decent. Can't really disagree with the team of the season.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-19.png

Agree with the results here. That 5-1 hammering was awful in the dark Winter we had but doing the double over the team that ultimately finished above us will live long in the memory. That's how shite this season was. Roll on next year.

Zurab Samashvili_ Overview Profile.png

Well then. After the hell of the season and the fact that I was under orders to secure 8 points from the first 5 games of the season things were looking bleak for me. I moved into the Summer feeling like a man condemned to waiting on death row. Then something interesting popped into my inbox.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-20.png

Torpedo Kutaisi were just relegated from the Georgian Umaghlesi League. i was intrigued by the interest and so I didn't say no to the press and I fired in a cheeky application,

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-21.png

This was the guy who wanted to fire me a few weeks ago. Save your tears mate.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-22.png

They offered me an interview and apparently my media handling and wages were a big issue but I made nicey nicey with the chat though and did okay. I then had to wait nearly a fortnight while they decided whether to employ a brash chancer with a tenuous grip of the Georgian language or not.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-23.pngGavin Webb_  Inbox-24.png

And I got the job. Granted I have a lot of pressure on me. I have to win the league within budget, be better with the press and work with a DoF which I hate but I'm moving up in the world. Georgian Pirveli League and Kutaisi here I come.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-25.png

And I've also made an enemy. Nice.

Torpedo Kutaisi: Background

logo-fc torpedo kutaisi.jpg

I leave Duruji for pastures new then and head to Kutaisi which is the legislative capital of Georgia, and its third largest city. Situated 137 miles west of Tbilisi, it is the capital of the western region of Imereti. Basically, I'm going big time.

Torpedo are a club that should be in the top division. Their history shows it with a hattrick of titles in at the turn of the century (back when Arsenal used to win titles. remember that?) and they finished 3rd in 2012 and 2013 but they have been down at this level before winning the Pirveli League in 2010. They also won the Georgian cup in 1999 and 2001 so they are a team that has recent memories of silverware. A big step up from Duruji

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-26.png

The state of the squad is pretty shameful to say the least. The first team consists of about 14 people and the reserves/U19s aren't anywhere near the right quality. 

Torpedo Kutaisi_ Squad Depth Overview.pngTorpedo Kutaisi_ Players Players.png

As you can see there are major gaps all over. I have been given quite a decent budget but I have no scouting team so that has to be my first priority. Already I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew especially as at least five of those first teamers want out. It's going to take a hell of a lot to turn this team into title winners.

13707811_1110835148975413_6728408533203758960_n.jpg

Stadium's a bit different though compared to Castle Duckula. I may well fail here but for a a bloke from Essex who has never kicked a football and could barely speak the lingo a year ago I've not done bad for meself. Let the battle commence.

21 minutes ago, iacovone said:

Appalled at you for leaving Castle Duruji... But good luck in the new surroundings!

Thanks. TBH this is a stupid move that is in no way going to work out but I was absolutely going to get fired if I stayed at Duruji. I'm hoping I get to manage in a stadium like that again though. I hate these soulless bowls of modern football...

Torpedo Kutaisi: Pre-season 2016

A pre-season of upheaval was expected in Kutaisi and so it proved. With the squad lacking in many areas and those players who were already there moaning and wanting out it wasn't an ideal situation. Players came and demanded moves and tried to start mutinies while I had to offer trials to anyone who walked past and looked like the could kick a ball due to the fact that I had no scouting network. Ultimately some players came, some left and I managed to tough out the confrontations. We have a team in place. Whether that team is good enough to deliver the title (lest you forget that's what I need to do) remains to be seen, but a team we do have...

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures1.png

An unbeaten pre-season but such has the churn been I hold no stock by these results. We score goals though by the looks of things and if we're title hunting that will be an important trait to have.

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Transfer History.png

The straight up churn is there for all to see. The big fees were for three big players including 100k for my best LB and former captain. Normally that'd be great but because there has been no scouting network at this club I have absolutely no clue who I could spend it on thus all my signings have pretty much been trialists who looked decent and were signed on frees. Good for the bank balance but probably not for a team that wants to win a title.

Torpedo Kutaisi_ Squad Depth Overview-2.png

The squad has a little more depth to it (I have signed the LB trialist there) but my best CB and my two goalkeepers are players who want to leave and have fallen out with me. It may be they stay as I haven't had any offers for them yet but I am desperately looking for another GK just in case.

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Overview.png

Tactically I've had to adapt, one reason was because my DoF didn't know of any wide midfielders so instead I've utilised the club's depth in CM and gone for a narrow formation. It works against stiffs in pre-season but again I have no clue how it will fare against the best the Pirveli league has to offer. It's the best we've got though.

Georgian Pirveli Liga_ Overview Season Preview.png

As you can see we're favourites but IRL I couldn't imagine a team like ours being favourites given the pre-season we've had. Still, with great club comes great responsibility and just to show how far I've come the team that pumped my Duruji team 3-2 to win the title are 150-1 and predicted to go straight back down.

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures.png

My promotion means I get to contest the Georgian cup for the first time and we face Umaghlesi League opposition in the shape of Sapovneia. They beat Kutaisi twice last year so I'm not expecting much progress (board are expecting QFs btw).

Our league campaign starts at home to Machakhela before we travel to WIT-Georgia who are predicted 4th. A baptism of fire awaits. 

I can't see me lasting beyond the Winter break.

Torpedo Kutaisi August 2016 Update

A two-legged cup tie and then home and away league games were the starters on my menu at Kutaisi as I continued to deny transfer rumours, keep reluctant players and strengthen the squad further still...

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures-21.png

We started with a hammering away to Umaghlesi League side Sapovneia. Three goals in the first half with a sucker-punch quick second being one of those bastard cross from the halfway inside the half goals killed us. We put up a better showing at home though and won the game 1-0. Nowhere near enough to win the tie though and we drop out of the cup at the first hurdle.

The league saw an unbeaten but ultimately disappointing start especially with the way we gave away the goal away to WIT. My only hope is that we stay in touch early doors while the squad gels and the hopefully romp home after the Winter. That is pretty much the only way I see us getting promoted.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-28.png

As you can see we dominated the transfer round-up singing the most players an denying two teams a chance to pinch a couple of our youngsters. I kept hold of one of the good goalkeepers though and our star striker who I'm hoping will get out of his mood by the end of next month. We're gonna need him.

Georgian Pirveli Liga_ Overview Stages.png

Early doors table which means little...

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures-2.png

Six big games in September especially as four of them are home games. We need 10 points ta the very minimum to stay in the hunt. Anything less and the sack will loom large I think.

Torpedo Kutaisi: September 2016 Update

A deep sense of foreboding had taken hold the last time I was with you and with good reason too as the team that are expected by the board to walk the league got off to an inauspicious start while trying to gel a ragtag bunch of Georgian misfits into a title-wining team. All with just a basic grasp of the Georgian language. I was already considering my begging letter to return to Duruji as well as hoping I became fluent in Georgian before I got the sack. Anyways, there were six games in September for me to try and survive...

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures-3.png

I said I needed 10 points minimum and I honestly didn't think I would get them. We spawned a win in deeply unconvincing fashion at home to Odishi before losing away to the bottom side. A classic FM performance where the favourites miss chances, underdogs become emboldened and then hit a late winner. We were deeply unconvincing again against Samegreio and needed an own goal to see us past them before finding ourselves playing pants and losing 1-0 at halftime away to Sairme. This felt like a defining moment. The team had not lived up to expectations so I went full on ballistic and invited all the players to bring their ****ing dinners. It worked as we stormed back in the second half and played some good football. 4-2 and a win worthy of a team that wants to be near the top of the league.

Gavin Webb_  Inbox-29.png

Damn straight.

After that we had the league leaders to ours. An even game but they pegged us back late in the day to share the spoils and it was extra frustrating as they had gone down to ten early on and then we matched them with one of my midfielders practicing some sick judo moves he'd seen in the recent Olympics. It was all good though as we turned in our first dominant display of the season at the end of the month at home to Mtskheta. The team seems to have clicked. 13/18. A decent month.

Georgian Pirveli Liga_ Overview Stages-2.png

We move up to third and are just a point behind top spot. Of course bottom side Gagra have only won one match this season so far...

Torpedo Kutaisi_  Senior Fixtures-4.png

October will certainly test our mettle and go a long way to deciding if we have what it takes. seven big games coming up to take us near enough to the halfway stage of the league. it's relentless but we've shown what we can do. Maybe we can just pull this off.

Unfortunately this seems dead. I can't move the save beyond the 13th October and I don't know why. Tried all I can but it took me  bit to get htis save started in the first place. I'm going to come back to this idea as my first save in FM17 I think so sorry to all who were following and I'll see you all back and bright in November.

Archived