If at first you don't succeed, blame the game and try again - A San Marino Youth Challenge 2.0

Bedese

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to have two strikers, but we also need to have a CAM and our two wingers playing. Hmm...

5c661b84f9091e891cb053894d2b29ca.png

Ta dah!

It might not work, but it might. We might be stretched on the left defensively, but hopefully having the defensive CM will make up for that. If it doesn't, I'll bump Andrea Ceccoli (YP90) back to DM. I've trained Lorenzo Terenzi (YP96) so that he can now play WB, and I expect he'll be bombing up the left and giving us an option from deep. Emanuele Di Bari (YP102) is there on the other wing, Gabriele Rondelli (YP94) is still in the hole where he belongs, and we've got our strike partnership. I think this could work.

b9853099bca1bcf91ab8e93c0dde79e5.png

In the first leg we used the tactic as I posted it above, and got murdered. In the second I moved the CM back to a DM, and we did a little better. I'll use this in the Europa Playoff and see how it does - I'm not hopeful, but it deserves more than one game to prove its worth.

abc0e53459b7a22009f889f0ea6b6d3a.png

Now that I was not expecting. We went to Catania (it's a short trip, but still) and matched them, scoring two away goals and getting a draw - with 10 men. I think we could actually do this, although Andrea Rausa (YP105) being suspended is a real blow, as he's far and away our best CB.

8336a1b27f78f087098e9103f3c82e59.png

Knocked out by an own goal from Andrea Rausa (YP103)s replacement :( Oh, and then we borrowed @Ceching You Out's habit of having players get stupid red cards when the tie was over by having two of ours get second yellows for pointless fouls.

On the bright side, we played really well. We matched Catania over the two legs. This tactic might work.

43 minutes ago, Jupjamie said:

Knocked out by an own goal from Andrea Rausa (YP103)s replacement :( Oh, and then we borrowed @Ceching You Out's habit of having players get stupid red cards when the tie was over by having two of ours get second yellows for pointless fouls.

Hard done by there. Twenty minutes away from payday.

On the other hand, it's catching on! Everyone do the Duarte! For those unaware of my Avenir Beggen travails, yes -- it happens often enough for me to have named it.

Youth Intake Day!

71c6ef908d41c6028d055547441c4bb6.png

82b76ca8c67eaa05e0f7c94964012f98.png

He really doesn't look all that good. I was hoping that we'd found a gem when the report told me our best player had a name like Tommy O'Flaherty :( 

Here's the chart:

5a664576cf7eb8cbd930031f95c7ad54.png

Red means a bad personality, green means a good one and no colour means it's neutral. If you disagree with any of them, let me know and I'll explain why I've gone for the colour I have :) 

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We're on fire in the league at the moment.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Davide Berti (YP99) - 8.27

He's turned into an absolute machine upfront.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Berti (YP99) - 40

A machine with a ridiculous scoring rate to boot.

Manager's Player of the Year:

Gabriele Rondelli (YP94)

I didn't realise that he's already 28 :( 

Aims for Next Season:

Make the Europa Groups with the mental tactic?

Other teams:

League winners: :D

Cup winners: :D 

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Young Boys in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Catania in the Playoff. Juvenes Dogana lost 4-2 to Cork City, Domagnano lost 6-0 to Pyunik from Armenia and Folgore lost 4-2 to Valur from Iceland.

San Marino National Team:

2070 Results --------------- 2071 Results

That was a ridiculous Nations League group.

Player Watch:

Ashley Turpin (YP88) - 6.35? Ouch. I think his career is coming to an end.

Sandro Bertolini (YP95) - He needs to go somewhere else to get gametime.

1 hour ago, MADA said:

Your run of not getting a 4 star prospect is amazingly unlucky

Tell me about it :( The intakes aren't terrible because a lot of players are exceeding their original PA, but they're definitely far from stellar. 

2 minutes ago, MichaelBrown said:

Great to read as usual and I'm glad to see the updates are regular. KUTGW

Thank you :) Updates should be regular until I go off to Uni in just under three weeks, at which point I have genuinely no idea what will happen.

4a3cb6b52f0dc4b5c4814d5a650913e4.png

Oh. What?

Ignore the stats. They had 11 shots but not one highlight, and we only had 4 shots but they were all excellent chances. I'm a bit in shock. Davide Berti (YP99) got food poisoning before the game, and I thought we were due a hiding. Instead, his replacement Nicola Ceccoli (YP109) scored on his debut, we've just beaten a really strong team 3-0, and we've got one foot in the Playoff. Please don't blow this.

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

We needed ET in the final, but a Davide Berti (YP99) hatrick quickly settled that.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Emanuele Di Bari (YP102) - 8.12

He's such a good RM for us. Crucial to the team.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Berti (YP99) - 30

He's gone from a bit-part player to one of the best strikers we've ever had.

Marco Casoli (YP97)

His partner in crime upfront.

Aims for Next Season:

I'm so wound up about that Basel game. I want revenge.

Other teams:

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Basel in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Young Boys in the Playoff. Fiorentino lost 5-1 to Domzale from Slovenia, Cailungo lost 5-1 to Dinamo Minsk and Tre Fiori lost 5-0 to Karpaty from Ukraine. 

2071 Results --------------- 2072 Results

Two good draws.

Player Watch:

Ashley Turpin (YP88) - I wonder how much longer he'll be playing for.

Sandro Bertolini (YP95) - Still not playing at Swansea.

Certainly seems like you've stalled out on the youth front, although it's hard to point to any particular reason why. I wonder if your reputation has slid back a bit or the league rep never really taking off has hurt you. Such a contrast from @iacovone in Andorra but I'm at a loss to understand why.

7 minutes ago, Ceching You Out said:

Certainly seems like you've stalled out on the youth front, although it's hard to point to any particular reason why. I wonder if your reputation has slid back a bit or the league rep never really taking off has hurt you. Such a contrast from @iacovone in Andorra but I'm at a loss to understand why.

I really don't understand it either. I'm going to read through @Makoto Nakamura and @smp20's threads back soon, because as far as I can remember their reputation (and quality of youth, possibly) increased at a much quicker rate than they are here.

2 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

To be fair, it's impressive to keep in fighting distance with the likes of Lazio, you seem to be on the right track. If they'd just push your recruitment, you'd be sorted.

We're in the really annoying place of 'nearly'. We're nearly getting through a lot more often in the Third Round of the CL and nearly getting past some big teams in the Europa Playoff, but we're just not able to push ourselves over the finish line at the moment,

16 minutes ago, BoxToBox said:

To be fair, it's impressive to keep in fighting distance with the likes of Lazio, you seem to be on the right track. If they'd just push your recruitment, you'd be sorted.

Completely agree. Just need that bit of luck to break your way one of these rounds.

Youth Intake Day!

a8f780eeaaca813e279961a61055309d.png

508b13dd2af914b2315590abb2d2ce54.png

We finally have a 4* PA player! But.. it's... a... goalkeeper. :(

He's not bad (once he gets that one on ones stat up), and he'll probably end up as our starting keeper in the future, so it could be a lot worse. But I saw that 4* PA and got my hopes up a lot higher :( 

1f404c9d2c9596e507215d4547f8ece1.png

His starting stats aren't great, but he's got a fantastic personality, has some room to develop and it's a position we're still quite weak in.

1baf51fd1ada518da39e4407796b9779.png

Terrible news. Gabriele Rondelli (YP94) did his cruciate, and here's how he looks with 2-3 months left out:

42862ee045f61b647faf622323d9440f.png

He's a shell of his former self :( At this point, I don't think he's even our best option at CAM - I think Cristian Casadei (YP103) is a better option for the role now. Devastating.

dabb35ea0972aa54779a917c75eca884.png

Season Review!

Campionato Sammarinese:

Table

Schedule

I'd have been absolutely fuming if we'd lost the final. 29 shots to 3, but we had to rely on a very nervy penalty shootout to lift the title.

Coppa Titano:

Table

Schedule

Yay.

Squad

Key Players:

Highest Average Rating:
Davide Berti (YP99) - 8.15

He's so good leading our line upfront.

Top Goalscorer:

Davide Berti (YP99) - 35

His scoring rate...

Emanuele Di Bari (YP102)

I think he might be the first Model Professional we've had.

Aims for Next Season:

I want the groups.

Other teams:

How the team in CL Qualifying did: We lost to Dinamo in the Third Round.

How the teams in Europa Qualifying did: We lost to Lazio in the Playoff. Virtus lost 3-1 to KR from Iceland, Cailungo lost 3-0 to Levadia from Estonia and Juvenes Dogana lost 5-1 to Trnava from Slovakia.

2072 Results --------------- 2073 Results

During with Gibraltar is pathetic.

Player Watch:

Ashley Turpin (YP88) - I think he's about to retire, but 619 league games is a crazy accomplishment.

Sandro Bertolini (YP95) - He got a bit more gametime, but didn't really capitalise on it.

Archived